The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: Should there be an extended DVD?
Yes. 28 77.78%
No. 2 5.56%
Depends on the nature of the cut scenes. 6 16.67%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-18-2013, 10:48 AM   #51
kylevorbach

Default Re: Should there be a directors cut?

I too would like to see the interrogation scene. Part of me is also holding out hoping that they release an extended cut that puts a scene after Superman cracks Zods neck and the one where the girl is like "SUPERMAN IS HOT!" I loved the last scene with Supes and Zod, but I would just like to dwell on that somber beat a bit longer before the last scene (which I also enjoyed).

It just seemed like there should be a bit of a transitional scene where we feel the effects of what happened.

Either way, I will pay however much they ask if they release an extended cut, though putting more scenes in the beginning, as you have been saying, might ruin the pace. I quite liked the brisk pace that we get right to the good stuff without meticulously retelling every beat from Superman's iconic origin. Though any more screen time for Kevin Cosner is always welcome as well.

kylevorbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:57 PM   #52
Kalel_Angel
Side-Kick

In the latest issue of French magazine "Mad Movie" of July, Charles Roven (producer of Man of Steel) has been confirmed that the film was cut to 50 minutes with 20 minutes indispensable.

Kalel_Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:21 PM   #53
Dispatch Ninja
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylevorbach View Post
I too would like to see the interrogation scene. Part of me is also holding out hoping that they release an extended cut that puts a scene after Superman cracks Zods neck and the one where the girl is like "SUPERMAN IS HOT!" I loved the last scene with Supes and Zod, but I would just like to dwell on that somber beat a bit longer before the last scene (which I also enjoyed).

It just seemed like there should be a bit of a transitional scene where we feel the effects of what happened.

Either way, I will pay however much they ask if they release an extended cut, though putting more scenes in the beginning, as you have been saying, might ruin the pace. I quite liked the brisk pace that we get right to the good stuff without meticulously retelling every beat from Superman's iconic origin. Though any more screen time for Kevin Cosner is always welcome as well.
I agree with this. I really loved the ending, but it just felt so disjointed. It goes from the neck snap scene in a demolished metropolis, to the drone scene, to clark riding on a bicycle in a rebuilt metropolis with planet employees talking about going to basketball games.

Dispatch Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:09 PM   #54
sef
Side-Kick

Part III (Even more less on topic but for the sake of completeness):
Quote:
SCOOP: Itís not Phallic Imagery in Man of Steel, Itís Yonic Imagery

After reading the headline, some might be wondering ďwhat is yonic imagery?Ē The answer: It's the female version of phallic imagery. Or simply stated: the vagina. (Are we allowed to say that word on here? I don't know, but that's what it is.) The female organs have long been depicted in many forms as the inspiration for artists to express themes of fertility and birth. The use of the imagery dates all the way back to the Pleistocene era, with the oldest depiction of what is considered a woman's private region, through the ages to the Renaissance, up to present day. Having long been an inspiration for artists, yonic imagery has represented the start of a journey and renewal- or in the case of Man of Steel: rebirth.

The references to yonic imagery aren't gratuitous in my opinion, but it's there. Many fans have commented on these images, thinking they were phallic in natureÖ close, but wrong gender. And wrong organ for that matter.

In Part 3 of my interview with Mackenzie Gray we discuss the imagery, where it appears and how it is used. We also discuss the movieís polarizing cinema scores.

óóóó

MG: I donít know, but how many times did you see the film?

ME: Four times! (laughing)

MG: Thereís a lot of Georgia OíKeeffeís art deco vaginal imagery all through Krypton, itís in all the doorways, and everywhere. When I mentioned that I thought that was a theme, to Zack, he said ďOh yeah it is! Come look at this, I got to show you this set. The film is all about re-birth.Ē And I thought ďwow!Ē The film isnít just about the re-birth of the franchise, but for Krypton. We go to Earth to try to create a re-birth of Krypton. Itís essentially birth and re-birth. People are commenting on all the phallic imagery, but they missed the more obvious.

In the scene where weíre all being sentenced to go to the Phantom Zone, weíre all in these little pods, floor pods. The pod that they made for me was a bit smaller. I have to go stand in it. I thought this is kind of odd, maybe I was standing in it wrong. I stepped off of it and looked at it and I thought ďoh my god. Thatís a vagina.Ē I thought this was amazing. [...] I looked at them [all] and there were twenty of them. In the big spaceship, weíre all standing in them. So, I walked over to Antje, it was her first big day on the spaceship set, and I said ďDonít look now, but youíre standing in a vagina.Ē She looked down and then just completely lost it. [Ö] After that we began to realize every doorway we went through, all of our symbols on the walls, was in that imagery. We called ourselves the ďVagina Gang.Ē

ME: Interesting. Some fans have commented on and referenced the images they thought were phallic, they left the female anatomy out of it. But, it is interesting theyíve referenced it in some way and youíre talking about it, because there is actually a purpose for it in the movie. Itís not meant to be graphic or inappropriate, but itís more symbolism talking about re-birth.

MG: Itís beautifully done. Itís in so many of the images. When [Superman] walks out, finally, when you first see him with the cape and costume on, he comes down a long hallway into a round opening. Itís literally a re-birth of him as Superman. I havenít seen any critics pick up on it.

ME: Interesting. Well, itís going to be discussed now! Iíve seen it four times and itís one of those movies that every time I see it, I see new things.
I feel very disappointed with how critics have rated the movie in comparison to how fans and movie-goers have rated it. It has an A Cinema score whereas the critics have scored it lower. Itís very polarizing.

MG: I have a theory about that.

ME: I would love to hear it because Iíve got multiple theories about it.

MG: On a lot of films, not just this one, they tend to tear them apart. In the old days, they actually had to go to a cinema and see it. Now they just send screeners and they watch it on a computer. They can stop it, rewind and keep looking at it. Itís not the same as seeing it in a cinema, with 3D or the whole nine yards. I think thatís how it was screened in Europe, I donít know about elsewhere so I may be saying what I donít know. When you watch a film on a computer, or even a TV, itís not the same as sitting in a cinema looking at it in the size itís meant to be seen in. Itís a different experience. I think when you see it in a cinema it adds much more power.
comicbooktherapy.com/scoop-its-not-phallic-imagery-in-man-of-steel-its-yonic-imagery

sef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:13 PM   #55
John-An
Gal/Margot World's Finest

Iīll say yes... I'll buy it if they released some day

John-An is offline   Reply With Quote