The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > The Wolverine

Old 07-19-2013, 12:16 AM   #126
MarvelU
Side-Kick

Default Re: "Are These All The Reviews You Brought?" -The Official Review Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnDz0n3 View Post
The main critiques seem to be that the 3rd act falls apart (and doesn't fit the tone of the rest of the movie. And Viper sucks ass. Let's hope Viper isn't in it that much... LOL
Supposedly she is too "cartoony". I am all for new X mutation abilities, but perhaps they added too much to viper. I hope she doesn't become a cg monster snake at the end with snakes for hair lol.

Last edited by MarvelU; 07-19-2013 at 12:20 AM.
MarvelU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:50 AM   #127
TWayneP
Side-Kick

Default Re: "Are These All The Reviews You Brought?" -The Official Review Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvelU View Post
Supposedly she is too "cartoony". I am all for new X mutation abilities, but perhaps they added too much to viper. I hope she doesn't become a cg monster snake at the end with snakes for hair lol.
I think you might be dead on in that assumption. If she turns into a giant snake I'll laugh lol.

TWayneP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:51 AM   #128
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

Oh the horror...

EnDz0n3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:15 AM   #129
MarvelU
Side-Kick

Here is another positive review and video review for those who don't want to read, they say it's good, but not great. 3.5/5 stars.

http://www.watoday.com.au/entertainm...719-2q9ju.html

There seems to be a lot of praise for the Yukio and Mariko characters, from the newly introduced bunch of characters in this movie.

Last edited by MarvelU; 07-19-2013 at 03:18 AM.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:21 AM   #130
Paladin-Hoss
Side-Kick

Quote:
There seems to be a lot of praise for the Yukio and Mariko characters, from the newly introduced bunch of characters in this movie.
Glad to hear it! Especially after you've read the comments here on SHH frontpage, Youtube etc: 'She's butt ugly! movie gonna suck!'LoLz!!11

Paladin-Hoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:47 AM   #131
ikt36
Side-Kick

68%

ikt36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:19 AM   #132
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWayneP View Post
I think you might be dead on in that assumption. If she turns into a giant snake I'll laugh lol.
Haha... nope, she doesn't turn into a giant snake or have Medusa hair! But I felt her poison powers were used too much, sometimes quite randomly, and it took the edge off it a bit.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:21 AM   #133
Great Mind(s)
Broken

X-Maniac, can you confirm whether or not Jean is only a hallucination and that she is 100% not an actual ghost/Phoenix type being?I know she might not actually do anything to Logan or interact with anyone else, but could she still be considered real in some way or is it strictly explained that she's only a figment of his imagination?

Great Mind(s) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:24 AM   #134
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
To be honest, when I read the grizzly bear scene description like two weeks ago, I wasn't digging it.
Yes...
even though the grizzly bear scene is from the comics, it didn't feel necessary and seemed more like an excuse for the studio to show off VFX skills at creating animals (after Life of Pi was praised for its creature FX). I'm also not entirely convinced the bear looked real.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:26 AM   #135
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Mind(s) View Post
X-Maniac, can you confirm whether or not Jean is only a hallucination and that she is 100% not an actual ghost/Phoenix type being?I know she might not actually do anything to Logan or interact with anyone else, but could she still be considered real in some way or is it strictly explained that she's only a figment of his imagination?
It's never explained. It looks mostly like a dream or hallucination and yet when he is on the verge of death, she is suddenly calling him to let go and join her on the other side. And since she is all in white and in a white room, it's a definite nod at the White Hot Room - her afterlife realm where she is the White Phoenix before being reborn in human form.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:29 AM   #136
Great Mind(s)
Broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
It's never explained. It looks mostly like a dream or hallucination and yet when he is on the verge of death, she is suddenly calling him to let go and join her on the other side. And since she is all in white and in a white room, it's a definite nod at the White Hot Room - her afterlife realm where she is the White Phoenix before being reborn in human form.
Oooo that doesn't sound like just a dream to me! That's actually taken from the comics I think, where Logan on the brink of dying sees a vision of her from the white hot room. I think she'sa comin' home!

Great Mind(s) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:07 PM   #137
BlackFox
Burn baby burn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikt36 View Post
68%

Didnt expect this would do as well as it has but from the proper reviews I have read it sounds good and some even said the best CBM of the year.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:59 PM   #138
MarvelU
Side-Kick

A positive review here 4/5 stars.

Quote:
Full of heart, grit and fun; The Wolverine is sure to delight fans of the character (particularity Jackman's take obviously!) and there are moments that will have them almost standing up to cheer. It's let down a bit by a lazy finale, but what does work works so well it actually almost completely makes up for it. The Wolverine movie we've been waiting for? I'm not sure -- but it definitely takes a damn good stab at it.
http://letterboxd.com/rormachine/film/the-wolverine/

Old 07-19-2013, 04:30 PM   #139
MarvelU
Side-Kick

A mixed to negative review. 2.5/5 stars.

Quote:
The good news is that The Wolverine is quite a bit better than Origins, but the bad news is it's still quite a bit behind pretty much everything from the Marvel slate. This has also got to be the most violent X-Men movie to date, and almost hand in hand with that, the least humorous and most dour in the series.
http://entertainment.ie/movie-review...ine/173796.htm

Old 07-19-2013, 04:38 PM   #140
MagnarTheGreat
Side-Kick

Quote is a compliment from my perspective! lol

Last edited by MagnarTheGreat; 07-19-2013 at 04:42 PM.
MagnarTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:00 PM   #141
MarvelU
Side-Kick

Another mixed review. 2.5/5 stars.

Quote:
The Wolverine is an often competent film, Mangold’s workmanlike direction throwing up some fairly clean action moments and the story hitting enough touchstones of the comic to keep fans happy. But it does next to nothing to further the mythology of the character, to make us feel the reality of the symbolic renewal it’s clearly trying to get across. By the end, it all feels like set up for something more significant, like a first act before the real story takes off.
http://clickonline.com/movies/review...lverine/18730/

Old 07-19-2013, 05:06 PM   #142
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvelU View Post
A mixed to negative review. 2.5/5 stars.

http://entertainment.ie/movie-review...ine/173796.htm
Being behind marvel slate probally means they are comparing it to MS films.It being different from those Is a plus In my book.

Old 07-19-2013, 05:10 PM   #143
BlackFox
Burn baby burn!

Another mixed/poor review (contains spoilers):

http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/enterta...ne-film-review

Old 07-19-2013, 05:16 PM   #144
BlackFox
Burn baby burn!

But here is a very positive one:

http://movies.uk.msn.com/reviews/the...e-movie-review

4/5

Quote:
A four-star movie with five-star moments, The Wolverine marks Hugh Jackman’s sixth swing at the iconic title character, a troubled mutant whose healing ability fails to extend to his broken heart.

Old 07-19-2013, 05:16 PM   #145
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackFox View Post
Another mixed/poor review (contains spoilers):

http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/enterta...ne-film-review
Weird how that reviewer says the film is "crying out for more mutants or powers but fan favourites like Deadpool and Gambit have already been wasted by Origins (and due to the film being produced by Fox and not Marvel, there's no chance for an Avengers cameo to lighten the mood)."

No one liked all the cameos in Origins, but now they want cameos in The Wolverine. Make your mind up, people!

I can honestly say that there is no point where you wish Gambit, Deadpool or an Avenger would turn up!

Last edited by X-Maniac; 07-19-2013 at 05:31 PM.
X-Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:19 PM   #146
BlackFox
Burn baby burn!

Quote:
Weird how that reviewer says the film is 'crying out for more mutants or powers but fan favourites like Deadpool and Gambit have already been wasted by Origins (and due to the film being produced by Fox and not Marvel, there's no chance for an Avengers cameo to lighten the mood)."

No one liked all the cameos in Origins, but now they want cameos in The Wolverine. Make your mind up, people!

I can honestly say that there is no point where you wish Gambit, Deadpool or an Avenger would turn up!
Agreed there seems to be a lot of contradictions in these reviews. What one see's as a negative another see's as a positive, very odd.

Old 07-19-2013, 05:21 PM   #147
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

There do seem to be a few "why didn't things just explode for two hours instead of all of this character and plot?" -type-complaints in some of these reviews.

Old 07-19-2013, 05:28 PM   #148
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
There do seem to be a few "why didn't things just explode for two hours instead of all of this character and plot?" -type-complaints in some of these reviews.
Yes, many of the reviewers seem to want it to embrace the potential OTT elements.

The UK Telegraph's silly review said this: "Perhaps if Mangold had set his sights on more appropriate source material, The Wolverine might have been an X-Men equivalent of You Only Live Twice, with hollow volcanos, silvery secret passageways, and a bouncing delight in its own silliness."

Seriously?!

Old 07-19-2013, 05:37 PM   #149
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Yes, many of the reviewers seem to want it to embrace the potential OTT elements.

The UK Telegraph's silly review said this: "Perhaps if Mangold had set his sights on more appropriate source material, The Wolverine might have been an X-Men equivalent of You Only Live Twice, with hollow volcanos, silvery secret passageways, and a bouncing delight in its own silliness."

Seriously?!
Sheesh!! It's only arguably the most famous Wolverine story....

Old 07-19-2013, 05:37 PM   #150
BlackFox
Burn baby burn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
Yeah a lot of "Why is the super hero talking in this film?" I'm guessing because it doesnt have all the flashy set pieces its not going to wow the GA like some "bigger" films.

Ah well less than a week and we can make up our own minds.

Looking at RT there is a lot of films I rate that a lot of critics seem to have hated looking back, Blade, Dredd even MoS I liked so I guess there is little point in worrying too much as its all opinions as ever.

They all say its much better than Origins so heck thats improvement.