Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Closed Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 12:00 AM   #701
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

Default Re: Kick Ass 2 announcement coming soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
He did not "wake up" to this. It has been seven months and he hasn't said a word until he could fire it for maximum exposure.

And even if it raises a curiosity factor, he has associated the film with Newtown. That means any press junkets that Aaron Johnson, Chloe Moretz, Chris Mintz-Plasse or Jeff Wadlow do will be bombarded with questions about Carrey and whether this film endorses violence and why did Carrey associate it with Newtown.

And again, if he felt this strongly about it, why not make a big deal about donating his salary to charities related to gun violence or to the Brady Campaign? Why not just tell Universal he will not promote the movie quietly? Instead, he takes to Twitter where he captures his bosses as off guard as anyone else. But it makes him a red-hot headline in the process.

He leaves everyone else who worked on the film with him in an uncomfortable position while he takes the publicity and walks away.

BTW, I actually agree with his politics (though I do not think KA2 is the problem). I just think the way he handled this was very poor.
Yes, Carrey finished with filming many months ago but when he finally saw a rough cut of the film could that have been his awakening?

What benefit does Carrey get from speaking out now?

and shouldn't he speak out while he has some credibility cause once there's a public or media outcry regarding the violence people will assume his position is simply a career ploy rather than a personal stance of integrity.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:02 AM   #702
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Quote:
He did not "wake up" to this. It has been seven months and he hasn't said a word until he could fire it for maximum exposure.
Is it fair to assume that he only just now saw the final cut? Millar just saw it recently. And Universal was said to have held their cast and crew screening on Saturday.

Because I can easily picture him and his people in talks with the studio about his newfound stance on violence/violence on film since Sandy Hook happened, and their response being the generic "jsut wait till you see it for yourself before you do anything."

Does that put a better perspective on it?

Carrey has been successful in the biz for decades. This is the first very violent action movie he's ever done. Couple that with what Sandy Hook meant to him emotionally (he's a grandfather now too) and the timing of the upcoming press rounds it makes complete sense for this to happen now.

EDIT: and he has said many words about gun violence and Sandy Hook before. Many times. Just none of them related to KA2

Joss Whedon's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is the cinematic equivalent of Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave with a bunch of scraps

2014 Reviews: JACK RYAN: SHADOW RECRUIT [★☆☆] / THE LEGO MOVIE [★★★★] / ROBOCOP [★★☆☆]

Last edited by Poni_Boy; 06-26-2013 at 12:06 AM.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:54 AM   #703
weezerspider
Side-Kick

He benefits by this because after the huge uproar he's made with all of the gun control ****, if he was in this film and did publicity, he would look like a ****in' hypocrite and be asked about it in EVERY. FREAKIN. INTERVIEW. So in short, its to save his skin. However, I'd be fine with it if he gave all 100% of his earnings from the film to Sandy Hook.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:13 AM   #704
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Wait, someone needed to watch the final cut of a Kick-Ass movie to realize it is super violent? Hit-girl laughs in your general direction.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:48 AM   #705
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

It's possible he didn't realize how close certain scenes would resemble Sandy Hook until he saw them in the film.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:53 AM   #706
Donut
Side-Kick

Jim Carrey should give up his paycheck he got from this movie to a charity or something

Old 06-26-2013, 09:14 AM   #707
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

Jim Carrey is worth 150 m.

Maybe he's given to anti-gun causes in amounts far exceeding his meager Kick Ass 2 check.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:05 PM   #708
Drizzle
All the chicken.

What I find funny about all this is that by publicly saying he can't promote the movie, Carrey is inadvertently generating publicity for the movie. So he should just go through with the press junket anyway and if he feels that bad about it, he should donate his paycheck to Sandy Hook relief or another similar charity.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:45 PM   #709
theMan-Bat
Nocturnal

For clarity, this is what Jim Carrey actually said on twitter:

Jim Carrey: "I did Kickass a month b4 Sandy Hook and now in all good conscience I cannot support that level of violence. My apologies to e"

Jim Carrey: "I meant to say my apologies to others involve with the film. I am not ashamed of it but recent events have caused a change in my heart."

Cory Mathews ‏asked: "Why didn't Columbine change your heart or Va Tech? Why is Sandy hook any different? All of these being killed are innocent people."

Jim Carrey repied: "It did, over time. That's why my character doesn't use bullets. Evolution."

https://twitter.com/JimCarrey

Mark Millar's response:

Mark Millar: "First off, I love Jim Carrey. When producer Matthew Vaughn and director Jeff Wadlow called me up and suggested we do a conference call with him to talk about the sequel to the 2010 original I was genuinely excited. Like you, I love Eternal Sunshine, Man on the Moon and The Truman Show. Carrey is an actor like no other, an unpredictable force of nature who brings a layered warmth and humanity to his work as well as that unstoppable energy he's always been renowned for. He had lunch with Matthew around the time of the first movie and dug it so much he appeared that night on Conan O'Brien DRESSED as Kick-Ass, singing a duet with Conan dressed as Superman. Vaughn and I made a mental note to work with this guy as soon as possible as we're both huge admirers.

Cut to almost three years later and I'm sitting in a screening room in London watching what I think is one of Carrey's best-ever performances. I'd seen Kick-Ass 2 in many forms, but this was the absolute final cut complete with opening titles, music and a terrific post-credit sequence you're all going to love. I couldn't be happier with this picture. It's as good as the original and in many ways BIGGER as it expands upon the universe and really takes things to the next level. There are a lot of stand-outs in the sequel, every actor really firing on full cylinders and an amazing script that moves like a rocket. But Carrey in particular is magnificent. He's never done anything like this before and even from the trailer, with his masked dog sidekick specially trained to munch criminal balls, you can see that something really fun and special is happening here. Colonel Stars and Stripes is so charismatic and all his scenes are up there with Nic Cage's amazing turn as Big Daddy in the original... which made it all the more surprising when Jim announced tonight that the gun-violence in Kick-Ass 2 has made him withdraw his support from the picture.

As you may know, Jim is a passionate advocate of gun control and I respect both his politics and his opinion, but I'm baffled by this sudden announcement as nothing seen in this picture wasn't in the screenplay eighteen months ago. Yes, the body-count is very high, but a movie called Kick-Ass 2 really has to do what it says on the tin. A sequel to the picture that gave us HIT-GIRL was always going to have some blood on the floor and this should have been no shock to a guy who enjoyed the first movie so much. My books are very hardcore, but the movies are adapted for a more mainstream audience and if you loved the tone of the first picture you're going to eat this up with a big, giant spoon. Like Jim, I'm horrified by real-life violence (even though I'm Scottish), but Kick-Ass 2 isn't a documentary. No actors were harmed in the making of this production! This is fiction and like Tarantino and Peckinpah, Scorcese and Eastwood, John Boorman, Oliver Stone and Chan-Wook Park, Kick-Ass avoids the usual bloodless body-count of most big summer pictures and focuses instead of the CONSEQUENCES of violence, whether it's the ramifications for friends and family or, as we saw in the first movie, Kick-Ass spending six months in hospital after his first street altercation. Ironically, Jim's character in Kick-Ass 2 is a Born-Again Christian and the big deal we made of the fact that he refuses to fire a gun is something he told us attracted him to the role in the first place.

Ultimately, this is his decision, but I've never quite bought the notion that violence in fiction leads to violence in real-life any more than Harry Potter casting a spell creates more Boy Wizards in real-life. Our job as storytellers is to entertain and our toolbox can't be sabotaged by curtailing the use of guns in an action-movie. Imagine a John Wayne picture where he wasn't packing or a Rocky movie where Stallone wasn't punching someone repeatedly in the face. Our audience is smart enough to know they're all pretending and we should instead just sit back and enjoy the serotonin release of seeing bad guys meeting bad ends as much as we enjoyed seeing the Death Star exploding. The action in Kick-Ass 2 is like nothing you've ever seen before. The humour, the characters, the heart and the set-pieces are all things we're very proud of and the only warning I'd really include is that it's almost TOO EXCITING. Kick-Ass 2 is fictional fun so let's focus our ire instead of the real-life violence going on in the world like the war in Afghanistan, the alarming tension in Syria right now and the fact that Superman just snapped a guy's ****ing neck.

Jim, I love ya and I hope you reconsider for all the above points. You're amazing in this insanely fun picture and I'm very proud of what Jeff, Matthew and all the team have done here.

Love and Peace,
Mark Millar"

http://forums.millarworld.tv/index.p...ss-2-violence/

THE DEATH OF "SUPERMAN LIVES": WHAT HAPPENED?
Releasing on August 1st on DVD and Blu-ray combo package.

FRANK MILLER'S SIN CITY A DAME TO KILL FOR
In theaters August 22nd.

Last edited by theMan-Bat; 06-26-2013 at 06:01 PM.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:41 PM   #710
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poni_Boy View Post
Is it fair to assume that he only just now saw the final cut? Millar just saw it recently. And Universal was said to have held their cast and crew screening on Saturday.

Because I can easily picture him and his people in talks with the studio about his newfound stance on violence/violence on film since Sandy Hook happened, and their response being the generic "jsut wait till you see it for yourself before you do anything."

Does that put a better perspective on it?

Carrey has been successful in the biz for decades. This is the first very violent action movie he's ever done. Couple that with what Sandy Hook meant to him emotionally (he's a grandfather now too) and the timing of the upcoming press rounds it makes complete sense for this to happen now.

EDIT: and he has said many words about gun violence and Sandy Hook before. Many times. Just none of them related to KA2
Is it fair to wonder why he didn't just privately tell Universal he wouldn't do promotion, as opposed to taking it to TWitter?

Is it also fair to ask if the movie such a problem for him now, will he donate his salary to a worthwhile charity or anti-gun violence group?

Otherwise, it looks like he did it in the way to maximize his publicity. And perception is a very strong thing in this world.

--John Adams
Old 06-26-2013, 05:20 PM   #711
Heliflyer
Banned User

Quote:
Is it fair to wonder why he didn't just privately tell Universal he wouldn't do promotion, as opposed to taking it to TWitter?

Is it also fair to ask if the movie such a problem for him now, will he donate his salary to a worthwhile charity or anti-gun violence group?

Otherwise, it looks like he did it in the way to maximize his publicity. And perception is a very strong thing in this world.
No, what you can say is you believe he did it to increase publicity, but the facts are (unless you are the confidant of Mr. Carrey) is that no one knows but he.

He can take a stand without giving away his money, for you to suggest that is the only viable option for him is to present what is known as a false-dichotomy.

And he did tell Universal. The Twitter feed is of course, after his discourse with Universal legal and others.

As for perception, unfortunately you are correct in that perception trumps facts in this country, because the average slob in the street does not take the time to find the facts prior to reacting.

Maybe all the facts should come in first? You think?

Old 06-26-2013, 09:41 PM   #712
TheForgotten
Side-Kick

No matter the excuse, it was still stupid and unprofessional of him to just announce it on Twitter through a couple of tweets. I think that just rubs me the wrong way. He didn't obviously tell anyone like Millar first behind the scenes, because Millar himself I believe said he was shocked to hear the news.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:39 AM   #713
BeserkerHilf
Side-Kick

Interesting that this happens just days after Universal picked up Dumb and Dumber To.

The Stack Podcast - A Pop-Culture Junkies podcast not limited to comics.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:10 AM   #714
Teelie
Mostly Harmless

I think Carrey may top Shia LeBouf and Megan Fox in the disowning their own movie in the most publically incorrect way contest.

There've been many reports saying he's doing this to create a public image of himself and given his parody of Heston a few months ago and general gun protest comments, it seems to be working. Although it might harm him more than help. Whether it's something he truly believes or not, there are better ways to convey his message that don't involve "look at me" type attention.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:15 PM   #715
StarLord
Believe.

New poster.

Old 07-13-2013, 02:01 PM   #716
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Funny thing is that Kick-Ass has the worst spot on the poster.

--John Adams
Old 07-18-2013, 10:11 AM   #717
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Anyone know the release date for this in Australia? I just moved over here from the UK a month ago and cant seem to find the date anywere?

1)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(2)The Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(3)The Lego Movie-7.5(4)Robocop-7.5(5)300:Rise Of An Empire-7
Old 07-18-2013, 10:18 AM   #718
Tanin
Side-Kick

IMDB says August 22

Old 07-18-2013, 10:19 AM   #719
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

^Thank you, should have been one of the first places to look, dozy me!

1)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(2)The Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(3)The Lego Movie-7.5(4)Robocop-7.5(5)300:Rise Of An Empire-7
Old 07-18-2013, 11:37 PM   #720
addison81
Side-Kick

New red band trailer is supposed to be online today. This is my 2nd most anticipated film behind Elysium. I'm hoping these 2 films save what has been a week summer for movies to me.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:59 PM   #721
TheForgotten
Side-Kick

That new redband trailer? Awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nje6dcArZrI

Old 07-19-2013, 03:15 PM   #722
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Cool I didn't know Posh Kenneth was in this as Black Death.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:21 PM   #723
JP
Flame On

Looking better.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:46 PM   #724
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

That opening was pretty terrific.

Old 07-19-2013, 05:51 PM   #725
Deserana
2005/2008/2012

Was worried but now it looks really good. The soundtrack of this film is gonna be a big part for me as it was terrific in KA1. I just hope it does not lose the fun that Kick Ass 1 IMO had. That new trailer was great with some brilliant lines.

Psychic though? That sounds like something out of science-fiction.

We live in a spaceship, dear.

Closed Thread