The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

View Poll Results: In your opinion, which saga was better?
Sam Raimi's Spider-Man 39 25.66%
Christopher Nolan's Batman 113 74.34%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-02-2013, 04:08 AM   #276
Lord
All Mighty

Default Re: Sam Raimi's Spider-Man Trilogy vs Christopher Nolan's Batman Trilogy

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
If Hellboy makes a good 3rd movie then Hellboy for me will be the best superhero trilogy.
I enjoyed the heck out of the first two movies so a great third movie will give me something I've never had before, 3 great movie experiences with a superhero franchise.

Batman
BB - 'meh' (for me)
TDK - brilliant
TDKR - good

Spider-Man
Spider-Man - 'meh'
SM2 - brilliant
SM3 - bitter disappointment

Hellboy
Hellboy - Excellent
Hellboy 2 - Excellent
Hellboy 3 - ??
The first wasn't anything special, i don't think it was near as good as the comic and they didn't capture its dark mood, was Hellboy even that clownish in the comic? I don't remember that. Hellboy II was good, but once again not near as good as Spider-Man 2 or The Dark Knight, Hellboy 3 probably won't happen, Unfortunatelly, since Guillermo del Toro jumps from a project to another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:23 AM   #277
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Default Re: Sam Raimi's Spider-Man Trilogy vs Christopher Nolan's Batman Trilogy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
The first wasn't anything special, i don't think it was near as good as the comic and they didn't capture its dark mood, was Hellboy even that clownish in the comic? I don't remember that. Hellboy II was good, but once again not near as good as Spider-Man 2 or The Dark Knight, Hellboy 3 probably won't happen, Unfortunatelly, since Guillermo del Toro jumps from a project to another.
I haven't read a single Hellboy comic so I am judging the movie on what was presented to me. Also I'm talking about consistency rather than brilliance. Hellboy 1 and 2 don't hit the heights of SM2/TDK but they also don't hit the depths of SM3 and I was never bored like I was with the 3rd act of Batman Begins.

spider-neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:50 AM   #278
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
I haven't read a single Hellboy comic so I am judging the movie on what was presented to me. Also I'm talking about consistency rather than brilliance. Hellboy 1 and 2 don't hit the heights of SM2/TDK but they also don't hit the depths of SM3 and I was never bored like I was with the 3rd act of Batman Begins.
I watched the movies before i ever read the comics, and my opinion maintains from then, found the film too corny and boring. After reading the comics i realised how much wasted potencial the first film had, the 2nd one was actually very good though, except when everybody retires BPRD, half of them weren't even at odds with the organizations or showed signs of wanting to quit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:04 AM   #279
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
I watched the movies before i ever read the comics, and my opinion maintains from then, found the film too corny and boring. After reading the comics i realised how much wasted potencial the first film had, the 2nd one was actually very good though, except when everybody retires BPRD, half of them weren't even at odds with the organizations or showed signs of wanting to quit.
To be fair, I haven't watched HB 1 or 2 in a while. I think I'll check them out this week to see how they hold up.

spider-neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:43 AM   #280
BlackFox
Name on the trophy?

If it wasn't for that SM3 film this might have been a genuine close call, but it was just soooo bad. First two were awesome though and was so excited for the third one, but such a let down.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:56 PM   #281
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

Both were quite original and different from the source material. Due to SM3 there is no competition. I'd take SM1, SM2 over TDKR though

Green Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:54 PM   #282
marcvader
Lurker #1

. Just by virtue of SM3 being so bad I had to pick Nolan's tril. I can't with a right mind pick Raimi's trilogy.

__________________#1 CBM of 2014____________________
Twitter- @mrpink13
HAIL HYDRA!
marcvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:01 PM   #283
Chris Wallace
LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...

I go with Raimi's Spidey even though it's the less popular choice.

Chris Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:07 PM   #284
PacificBoy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackFox View Post
If it wasn't for that SM3 film this might have been a genuine close call, but it was just soooo bad. First two were awesome though and was so excited for the third one, but such a let down.
This. If only SM3 was good, we'd have two trilogies awesome in their own distinct way.

PacificBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:43 PM   #285
Doc Ock
There and Spidey Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wallace View Post
I go with Raimi's Spidey even though it's the less popular choice.
Its the better choice.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:08 PM   #286
Human Torch
Mandatory Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Ock View Post
Its the better choice.

Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:05 AM   #287
Thoix
Side-Kick

Individual Rankings:
1.) The Dark Knight (10/10)
2.) The Dark Knight Rises (10/10)
3.) Batman Begins (9/10)
4.) Spider-man 2 (9/10)
5.) Spider-man (8/10)
6.) Spider-man 3 (5/10)

Trilogy Rankings:
1.) The Dark Knight (10/10)
2.) Spider-man (7/10)

Overall Winner:
The Dark Knight Trilogy

Last edited by Thoix; 07-19-2013 at 07:34 PM.
Thoix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:36 PM   #288
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

For me, it's not even close.

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier 9.5 2. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5 3. X-Men: Days of Future Past 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne78 View Post
But Captain America: The Winter Soldier wins. Everything. My first born son, even. It's the unicorn of the MCU.
Ms. Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:38 PM   #289
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

To me TDKR is just as bad and laughable as SM3.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:59 PM   #290
BatmanGoesToRio
Side-Kick

A ranking of the six movies:

1) Spider-Man 2 (excellent)
2) Spider-Man (very good)
3) Batman Begins (very good)
4) The Dark Knight (average)
5) Spider-Man 3 (weak)
6) The Dark Knight Rises (awful)

So, all in all it's Raimi's Spider-Man to me.

BatmanGoesToRio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:16 PM   #291
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatmanGoesToRio View Post
A ranking of the six movies:

1) Spider-Man 2 (excellent)
2) Spider-Man (very good)
3) Batman Begins (very good)
5) Spider-Man 3 (weak)
6) The Dark Knight Rises (awful)

So, all in all it's Raimi's Spider-Man to me.
TDK is beast

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
I'm not a fanboy, I'm just an entusiastic Spider-Man fan...
Avvy by OriginalMiles
Old 08-15-2013, 08:52 PM   #292
StarLord
Legendary Outlaw...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatmanGoesToRio View Post

StarLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:46 PM   #293
S. Grundy
Side-Kick

If I was going by the third movie, I'd have to go with Spider-Man. TDKR is an even bigger mess than S-M 3.

S. Grundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:51 AM   #294
BatmanGoesToRio
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarLord View Post
So I disagree with Til Schweiger. I'm fine with that.

BatmanGoesToRio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:18 PM   #295
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Grundy View Post
If I was going by the third movie, I'd have to go with Spider-Man. TDKR is an even bigger mess than S-M 3.
I have this like/hate thing with TDKR but come on man.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
I'm not a fanboy, I'm just an entusiastic Spider-Man fan...
Avvy by OriginalMiles
Old 08-16-2013, 01:15 PM   #296
Mario_Galaxy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Ock View Post
I'm glad I didn't see Spider-Man 3 in theaters it wasn't until it was playing on a projector in High School during class, I couldn't believe some of what I saw and wanted to watch the whole thing. At first, I agreed with all the bad things that kept me from watching it...but I started coming on TV more and more and more and more...and I slowly started to warm up to it. Harry and Sandman and the dilemmas of Peter thinking about tying the know with MJ really make me love the movie. The venom parts I cringe at, I don't mind the other symbiote stuff.

With The Dark Knight Rises, I thought it was okay the first time and didn't mind watching it for a while. It was very intriguing and not off-putting like SM3 was the first time, but watching it a second time made me realize I was really disappointed by it.
Pretty much this. I get more sympathetic for SM3 the more I see it on TV or whatever. I've seen TDKR twice and went from polarized but feeling it was still good to hating its story but liking other things like the fight scenes, cinematography, etc. I'd rather be watching SM3, whereas I don't think I'll ever watch TDKR again. It feels less rewarding by the end and I think I've gotten all I can from it without hating it more with repeat viewings.

Despite some clutter, I just enjoy SM3 more. It feels more like the third installment to a series despite some flaws, and even though it's crammed I feel like there was more breathing room for Peter and MJ, Harry and Sandman (Venom though...). I couldn't get into Bruce's arc at all, because it was a constant revolving door where characters don't really sync up until the end, and by that point I didn't care. The movie is horribly paced and so quick to get off the ground it seems.

SM3 is tainted in large part by Venom's inclusion. There was a solid story there that had to be divided up with Brock's (minimal, pointless) involvement. For me, TDKR suffered from John Blake's equally as pointless, but ungodly overdone amount of screentime. It was Bruce's arc to finish and he gets shafted for (what I feel) was a constant butter-up for a total miss of a final shot. There's of course the Tate thing but oddly that didn't irritate me as much.

I feel this is an unfair poll because of course Batman will be highly respected here and Spider-Man 3 is still seen as being so bad the whole trilogy must suck as well. But I think 3's scorn is a bit unjustified, just like TDKR is too overglorified. They're both largely good films. There's awesome enough concepts in each to make them at least watchable. Seeing people compare SM3 to B&R though is just laughable.

Last edited by Mario_Galaxy; 08-16-2013 at 01:20 PM.
Mario_Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 02:50 PM   #297
Donnie Darko
Forgotten Pre-New 52 Hero

Batman gets it, but not by much. For me, Spider-Man, Batman Begins and Dark Knight are all top tier, then Spider-Man 2, then Spider-Man 3 barely beats out Dark Knight Rises. I don't think either third film is great or awful. I honestly believe SM3 is underrated and TDKR is overrated, and they are actually both close to the middle of the road.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:40 PM   #298
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

I will say this, both Spider-Man 3 and TDKR have one of the dumbest moments in CBM history. Spider-Man 3's is the butler telling Harry the truth about his father, and TDKR's is Blake knowing Bruce is Batman based off a look he saw on his face once years ago.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:53 PM   #299
Mario_Galaxy
Side-Kick

That's where it seems to me that bigger isn't always better. Sure you wanna end a series on a bang, but that opens the gates for some sloppy writing, random deus ex machina, etc. I think both collapse under the weight of the scope.

Mario_Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 04:29 PM   #300
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

The sad thing is those mistakes were easily avoidable.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote