The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Avengers: Age Of Ultron

Old 07-21-2013, 05:29 AM   #1
Artistsean
Monkey Boy

Default Hank Pym?

With the added characters of Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch joining the already large
cast of Captain America, Thor, Iron Man, Hulk, Hawkeye, Black Widow, Nick Fury,
Agent Hill, and I think Falcon, as well as giving time to the villain Ultron, (and possibly
eyeing Vision to be in it too) what about Hank Pym and the Wasp?
Also Edgar Wright hasn't made his Ant Man movie yet.
What will become of Hank Pym? Do you think he will be responsible for creating
Ultron in the movie? Or will it be yet another character flaw of Tony Stark's (who is
getting a pay upgrade and could mean a larger role)?

Or maybe this could be how
Hank Pym is introduced. He could be a scientist who worked with Stark, Banner, and
SHIELD in the past but now is on the outs and sort of hates them. Ultron could still be
created to represent his dark side.
Or will Hank Pym be cut out of Ultron's origin? Like how Rick Jones has been cut out
of Marvel movies completely?
Do you think it matters? Is it all that important to Ultron's history?

Personally I would think its an outright tragedy to not translate Pym's dark creation of
Ultron into a film. Its got all that drama and pathos and whatever. What are your
thoughts about this?

Artistsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:03 AM   #2
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Default Re: Hank Pym?

By not including Pym one would actually destroy two characters: Pym, whose guilt over creating Ultron is one of his trademark characteristics, and Ultron, whose Oedipus complex is the cataclyst for his desires to take over the world.
Whedon is smart enough to know that.
However, A:EMH handled the situation quite well with Stark having a hand in Ultrons creation too. As long as it is clear, that it was actually Pyms fault, and that Pym is the main creator, there is nothing wrong with Tony working along on that project.

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

Last edited by R_Hythlodeus; 07-21-2013 at 09:19 AM.
R_Hythlodeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:41 AM   #3
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Hythlodeus View Post
By not including Pym one would actually destroy two characters: Pym, whose guilt over creating Ultron is one of his trademark characteristics, and Ultron, whose Oedipus complex is the cataclyst for his desires to take over the world.
However, A:EMH handled the situation guite well with Stark having a hand in Ultrons creation too. As long as it is clear, that it was actually Pyms fault, and that Pym is the main creator, there is nothing wrong with Tony working along on that project.

If Stark is made to be the guy responsible for creating Ultron, then it would also destroy *three* characters. Strongly doubt they're going to mess up The Golden Boy of the MCU that way.

Short answer: yes, Hank Pym needs to be introduced in AoU as Ultron's creator.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:19 AM   #4
Tanin
Tsukino Usagi

Now is Ant Man coming out before or after this film?

Tanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:22 AM   #5
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanin View Post
Now is Ant Man coming out before or after this film?
after

ZWERG/ELF

Old 07-21-2013, 09:30 AM   #6
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Edgar's Ant-Man was always more Scott Lang centric anyway. I think Edgar mentioned something about Pym manipulating Lang, Lang using the Ant-Man gear to steal something, Pym and Lang teaming up and Pym passing the Ant-Man identity onto Lang.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:32 AM   #7
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Giving us Giant-Man and Ant-Man.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:44 AM   #8
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Quote:
However, A:EMH handled the situation quite well with Stark having a hand in Ultrons creation too. As long as it is clear, that it was actually Pyms fault, and that Pym is the main creator, there is nothing wrong with Tony working along on that project.
If I remember correctly, in A:EMH Ultron (that is the Ultron AI) was still created primarily by Pym. Stark just provided the tech and built the actual body and weaponry. The core of the character was still Pym's baby.

Kahran Ramsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:51 PM   #9
souNdwAve89
Side-Kick

Well, Joss just confirmed that Hank Pym is not in it.

souNdwAve89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:45 PM   #10
batman44
Go Speed GO

A little bummed Hank is not in A:AoU or the creator of Ultron.

<< Romans 1:16 >> For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.
batman44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:50 PM   #11
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
If Stark is made to be the guy responsible for creating Ultron, then it would also destroy *three* characters. Strongly doubt they're going to mess up The Golden Boy of the MCU that way.

Enjoy your "destroyed" characters.

Mr. Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:51 PM   #12
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
Enjoy your "destroyed" characters.
thank you, I will.

ZWERG/ELF

Old 07-21-2013, 03:53 PM   #13
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Then all your worrying was for nothing. See, no problems.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:54 PM   #14
SpideyFan866
Raggle Fraggle.

A:AOU has been successfully killed for me. And it has only officially existed for less than 24 hours.

Yeah, I'm just worried that if Pan of Steel isn't widely accepted by the audience and critics, they might try to shoehorn Pinocchio into the sequel, and we all know how long Hollywood has been trying to do a 'Pan vs Pinocchio' team up movie.
The Legend of Labeouf by Schlosser85
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=226

#Hypsters4Sawyer
SpideyFan866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:08 PM   #15
babykhris
Side-Kick

I'm over here laughing at how Hank Pym has become such this amazing hero People complained he wasn't in the 1st film and mad he's not in the 2nd. Maybe there's a reason because when going against the biggest villians in the world no one is calling the guy who can talk to ants.

I see Hank Pym in the MCU as the wannabee super-hero, who was rejected by the Avengers. His movie could be about the first guy who actually wants to play superhero. Everyone else in the Avengers are more soldiers than want to be heros. Maybe Pym and his wife want to be MEDIA darlings, so he creates personas that blow up in his face (Giant Man, Yellow Jacket before becoming Ant-Man.

babykhris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:08 PM   #16
blalex620
Comics, Books, Games

I just don't know what to think . Part of me wants to trust in Whedon, the other part wants to rage against him. I don't necessarily have a problem with changing Ulron's origins up a little. But when you remove Hank Pym from the equation all together, just no. Creating Ultron and the subsequent fallout is what makes Hank Pym, Hank Pym. It's like not killing off Uncle Ben; would Peter Parker really be the same?

I honestly think if Whedon (who still has time to change the script) doesn't include Hank in Ultron's creation it will mean that Wright is probably not including Hank Pym in this timeline of the MCU. No Pym also means no Wasp (who if people are right was never in Wright's original script in the first place). At this point that would suck because Wasp is such a great character.

Old 07-21-2013, 04:12 PM   #17
blalex620
Comics, Books, Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by babykhris View Post
I'm over here laughing at how Hank Pym has become such this amazing hero People complained he wasn't in the 1st film and mad he's not in the 2nd. Maybe there's a reason because when going against the biggest villians in the world no one is calling the guy who can talk to ants.

I see Hank Pym in the MCU as the wannabee super-hero, who was rejected by the Avengers. His movie could be about the first guy who actually wants to play superhero. Everyone else in the Avengers are more soldiers than want to be heros. Maybe Pym and his wife want to be MEDIA darlings, so he creates personas that blow up in his face (Giant Man, Yellow Jacket before becoming Ant-Man.
It's funny that you make fun of Hank in that way because that's exactly how he feels in the comics. But he's able to overcome that and realize he's essential to the team. Especially after he starts to go giant. He's also the smartest guy on the team which tends to help them out ALL THE TIME. So before you start bashing on Hank Pym you should go do your homework.

Old 07-21-2013, 04:13 PM   #18
Mr. Dent
Banned User

As I've been repeatedly saying: It has been known for YEARS that Wright said Scott Lang is protagonist in his Ant-Man story and Hank Pym is old. People are acting like this never happened. I've been saying since yesterday people are taking for granted the idea of Pym being an important figure in the MCU one day.

Old 07-21-2013, 04:14 PM   #19
babykhris
Side-Kick

Pym can be in the timeline, but move in a different direction. Why does Pym and Wasp even have to be Avengers. They could be solo heroes, who stop the lower level threats.

Old 07-21-2013, 04:39 PM   #20
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:

Yeah Stark will never get messed up in the eyes of the GA. Unless they make a Civil War movie. Accidentally creating a machine that goes evil isn't going to mess up Stark.

Old 07-21-2013, 04:50 PM   #21
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

I'll believe Hank has nothing to do with this when I see it.

Old 07-21-2013, 05:07 PM   #22
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
As I've been repeatedly saying: It has been known for YEARS that Wright said Scott Lang is protagonist in his Ant-Man story and Hank Pym is old. People are acting like this never happened. I've been saying since yesterday people are taking for granted the idea of Pym being an important figure in the MCU one day.

Yes, you keep saying that.
But what does it matter if Hank Pym is an old guy? Hell, I've been saying for years I'd be just fine with Hank and Janet actually being an *old* couple of superheroes (real "Golden Agers"), but they could still be just as much a part of the team as Gandalf is the Fellowship, or Xavier the X-Men, or Magneto the Brotherhood.

Pym needs to make Ultron. Period. Joss just crapped all over Avengers continuity, and all over Edgar Wright's film. Hank Pym is now completely redundant, as is Ant-Man and the titular movie.

Old 07-21-2013, 05:11 PM   #23
Mr. Dent
Banned User

^ No, no, and no.

Joss didn't crap over any continuity, the continuity in the MCU is still being written. Edgar Wright's film is just fine if Scott Lang is Ant-Man, and Hank Pym's character is not "redundant" when he has not been introduced in the MCU yet. You're not making sense.

Old 07-21-2013, 05:20 PM   #24
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
^ No, no, and no.

Joss didn't crap over any continuity, the continuity in the MCU is still being written. Edgar Wright's film is just fine if Scott Lang is Ant-Man, and Hank Pym's character is not "redundant" when he has not been introduced in the MCU yet. You're not making sense.
Having an Ultron movie come out a few months before an Ant-Man movie, and then having that Ant-Man movie involve a Hank Pym and Janet Van Dyne that no longer has ANY connection to Ultron....THAT'S what's not making sense.

Or maybe you'd prefer that Ant-Man be about Scott Lang entirely? Hell, might as well just dump the facade and eliminate Hank and Janet from the MCU and the Avengers entirely.

Way to go, Joss.

Old 07-21-2013, 05:30 PM   #25
babykhris
Side-Kick

Quote:
Having an Ultron movie come out a few months before an Ant-Man movie, and then having that Ant-Man movie involve a Hank Pym and Janet Van Dyne that no longer has ANY connection to Ultron....THAT'S what's not making sense.

Or maybe you'd prefer that Ant-Man be about Scott Lang entirely? Hell, might as well just dump the facade and eliminate Hank and Janet from the MCU and the Avengers entirely.

Way to go, Joss.
Is that all Hank Pym is the creator of Ultron? If that's the case then he doesn't deserve his own solo film. There's so much you can do with Pym. Ultron is a crutch. Is Hank Pym only a guy who beats his wife (that will not be in a film that's they trying to sell toys around), so why not re-imagine Pym as a cool SHIELD agent like Falcon is.

You could go the Avengers Academy route where he creates a few young superheroes.

You can go the Ultimate Universe route where he was so obsessed about being a superhero he would create different personas.

I say you go super-spy with him.