The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men Sequels & Spin-Offs

Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 07:30 AM   #876
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

Default Re: Deadpool Spin-off Confirmed - Part 1

In the brand-new issue 209 of Total Film magazine, we celebrate all things X-Men, so it’s fitting that we find time for a chat with Ryan Reynolds, who played Wolvie’s one-time nemesis, Deadpool.

Inside the issue (which is available for just 1.99 on your iPad), we chat with the R.I.P.D. star about the ongoing saga of the Deadpool spin-off movie, which has been mooted ever since he played Wade Wilson in X-Men: Origins - Wolverine. The film's had a script from Zombieland writers Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick, and Tim Miller is attached to direct.

For now, here’s a snippet of what Reynolds had to say about the status of the Merc with a Mouth’s spin-off movie…

“That movie is alive and kicking, and then it’s dead as a doornail. Then it’s alive and kicking and then it’s dead… it’s like the worst relationship I’ve ever had!”

“The character knows he’s a comic-book character, he knows he’s in a film, he knows who the executives are at the studio making the movie,” Reynolds explained. “In the current iteration of the script, Deadpool is aware of the Wolverine movie. He doesn’t say anything disparaging about it but he does at one point play with the Deadpool action figure with some curiosity.”

R.I.P.D. opens in the UK on 20 September 2013, after opening in the US on 19 July 2013.

For much more from Reynolds on Deadpool, R.I.P.D. and comic-book movies, pick up issue 209 of Total Film magazine, which is out now!

http://www.totalfilm.com/news/ryan-r...b+aggregate%29

Old 07-08-2013, 12:29 AM   #877
Project862006
Banned User

anyone think now is the perfect time for deadpool he is getting good mainstream exposure i just saw deadpool on ultimate spiderman animated series having a power of wits with spidey and he has a video game coming out

Old 07-08-2013, 12:52 AM   #878
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
anyone think now is the perfect time for deadpool he is getting good mainstream exposure i just saw deadpool on ultimate spiderman animated series having a power of wits with spidey and he has a video game coming out
Yeah, it's pretty much the perfect time. Besides the DP game and Ultimate Spidey he's being advertised alot in the lego Marvel game as well. They should just ride the wave of hype and show the test footage at SDCC.

Old 07-08-2013, 03:03 AM   #879
def28
Side-Kick

...a bit more from the same interview posted up top.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Ryan-...vie-38384.html
Quote:
That movie is alive and kicking, and then it’s dead as a doornail. Then it’s alive and kicking and then it’s dead…it’s like the worse (sic) relationship I’ve ever had,” Reynolds shared. “Everybody has a different idea as to how you’re supposed to do it, and for me, it’s been tough because it comes and goes like the tide…I never know where it is.” Sounds like he’s just dripping with positivity, right? I mean, obviously it’s a tough sell, based on the project’s violent nature and self-referential comedy, but it can’t be that bad, right?

“It’s risky for everybody involved,” he continued. “It’s not as commercial as they would like it to be. It’s a property that is excessively popular and successful, just as a comic property. So you certainly don’t want to mess that up. And if you’re a studio you certainly don’t want to put something out there that you can’t get back.” It’s a good think Reynolds is giving consideration to the movie studios, since Deadpool fans would probably gather in droves to put studio execs’ heads on pikes in order to get this movie made. I don't understand why they can't just make a low-risk $40 million movie to test the waters. Not every major comic book movie needs to break a $100 million budget just to be legitimate.

On a humorous note, Reynolds shares a fourth-wall breaking joke from the film: “In the latest iteration of the script, Deadpool is aware of the Wolverine movie. He doesn’t say anything disparaging about it but he does at one point play with the Deadpool action figure with some curiosity.” And he again expresses his assuredness that this is his role: “I know the character so well, but more than that, I know how to do it.” But in the end, we’re still just left hoping Kick-Ass 2 destroys at the box office, which could help the Deadpool film out if studios see that audiences aren’t afraid to spend money on R-rated comic book movies.
So I take it the studio does want a Deadpool film....but a Mainstream PG-13 one. Nothing much to say that's already been said before, but I really hope Fox just lets Reynolds and Miller make the film they want.

Last edited by def28; 07-08-2013 at 03:13 AM.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:55 PM   #880
-JKR-
Side-Kick

One thing I don't want to see is a PG-13 Deadpool. This is THE chance to make a comic book movie which can bring back that certain old school action brand that flicks like RoboCop, Die Hard, Lethal Weapon, Total Recall, Predator, Terminator, etc. had.
I prefer it not happening yet, rather than happen in a wrong, or boring, uninteresting way!
Anyway, having read the script I think it needs some rewrites. It's fun and has neat ideas, but they've got to flesh out the characters some more, and work on a better arc for Deadpool. Besides the (physical) scars there's barely any change between teh pre- and post-transformation Wade.

Last edited by -JKR-; 07-08-2013 at 05:59 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:05 AM   #881
KnightGambit
Side-Kick

The test footage defiantly will be released eventually (Rhett Reese confimed that with Superhero Movies News) but if nothing happens at SDCC this movie really is dead...

Old 07-10-2013, 07:43 AM   #882
-JKR-
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightGambit View Post
The test footage defiantly will be released eventually (Rhett Reese confimed that with Superhero Movies News) but if nothing happens at SDCC this movie really is dead...
No movie is ever really dead.
It'll get done, sooner or later. With a different actor, different writers, etc., but it'll eventually get done.
I have time. I'd prefer it to be stuck in development hell for a couple of years, and get it done right, rather than an half-assed attempt at making a 'Deadpool' movie, because the current execs at Fox have got cold feet about it.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:52 AM   #883
Verbal21
Side-Kick

Yeah, if there's absolutely nothing from SDCC, my excitement will completely be gone until there's actual confirmation. I'm kind of tired of Reynolds and the writers updating every few months with how awesome the story is but how they're "waiting for Fox"

Old 07-10-2013, 10:07 AM   #884
-JKR-
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbal21 View Post
Yeah, if there's absolutely nothing from SDCC, my excitement will completely be gone until there's actual confirmation. I'm kind of tired of Reynolds and the writers updating every few months with how awesome the story is but how they're "waiting for Fox"
The movie not moving forward isn't their fault. It's just not moving. That's the truth. What are they supposed to answer, when asked, if not the truth?

Last edited by -JKR-; 07-10-2013 at 10:27 AM.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:41 PM   #885
Verbal21
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JKR- View Post
The movie not moving forward isn't their fault. It's just not moving. That's the truth. What are they supposed to answer, when asked, if not the truth?
Nobody's blaming anybody. A fan's excitement just starts to get drained when you keep hearing the same questions answered with the same answers every couple months. It's not even "news" anymore.

I was just hopeful that with SDCC soon, they'd at least release the test footage for people to see and hopefully, finally get some traction to get things past developmental hell already.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:53 PM   #886
KnightGambit
Side-Kick

Rhett Reese said they will release it eventually

Old 07-11-2013, 01:12 AM   #887
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

FOX should just hand over the movie rights for Deadpool to Marvel Studios. I really don't want FOX to release movies for lesser-known characters. FOX should just prioritize in their two biggest comic-book properties - the X-Men and the Fantastic Four.

"Don't ever do that again" - X3
"They'll find us they'll always do" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
Old 07-11-2013, 04:18 AM   #888
Nathan

Shouldn't the Deadpool rights expire eventually, or did they acquire him together with the X-Men? So they basically just have to make X-Men movies, and still get to keep Deadpool.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:32 AM   #889
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Shouldn't the Deadpool rights expire eventually, or did they acquire him together with the X-Men? So they basically just have to make X-Men movies, and still get to keep Deadpool.
Yeah, unfortunately they have him as long as they have the X-Men rights. Probably since he showed first in New Mutants and X-Force. Done right in a connected universe he's much better off with the X-Men cause of his ties, he's pretty much a shoe in if they ever make an X-Force flick, but they can put the solo film off for awhile which sucks.

I would think that would have been a different deal if it was made today, since he's been mostly solo since late 90s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JKR- View Post
No movie is ever really dead.
It'll get done, sooner or later. With a different actor, different writers, etc., but it'll eventually get done.
I have time. I'd prefer it to be stuck in development hell for a couple of years, and get it done right, rather than an half-assed attempt at making a 'Deadpool' movie, because the current execs at Fox have got cold feet about it.
Yeah, Fox is gonna make it eventually with or without the crew they have now.

If Reynolds leaves that won't be a good sign. He stuck with this thing forever trying to get it made. If he leaves that will pretty much guarantee we won't ever get an R since that's been the hold up. Hopefully the waiting will pan out for him.

Last edited by def28; 07-11-2013 at 05:23 AM.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:42 AM   #890
-JKR-
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
I don't really want to see the rights to Deadpool reverting back to Marvel Studios. First of all, it being at Fox comes in handy when there are elements from the X-books to be included (even if he's pretty much an independent character now), and then because I don't want to see him become just another puzzle piece of their Cinematic Universe. I'd rather have him at a studio which doesn't care too much about crossovers, etc.

And we all know how Marvel has a penchant for using him mostly in team-ups, and as anarchic element in their bigger stories, bouncing off their other characters (thank God for Brian Posehn & Gerry Duggan giving him actual stories again!), and that's the last thing I want to see on the big screen. I want to see Deadpool as a full-fledged comic/tragic character, his own supporting characters, existing in his own "universe," facing his own freaking demons, and not just have him as comic relief in different stories.

I'm very passionate about the character, and I'd be quite upset if they didn't fully exploit his potential in his real big-screen debut.

Last edited by -JKR-; 07-11-2013 at 05:48 AM.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:17 AM   #891
GREEN =w= DAY
Side-Kick

i want this movie to happen! the difference between Deadpool and the other X-Men films is that Deadpool doesn't need an extremely big budget to get made.

and yes, it NEEDS to be Rated R

kinda feel bad for Reynolds because he has been supporting in getting this movie made for the past 5-6 years and evidently he wants to redeem how Deadpool got treated in Origins. hope we hear something soon

Old 07-15-2013, 01:49 AM   #892
KnightGambit
Side-Kick

Ok seriously the only two elderly actresses I could see as Blind Al

Is Cloris Leachmen from Malcolm in the Middle and Beerfest

OR

Sharon Gless from Burn Notice

Old 07-15-2013, 04:03 AM   #893
Project862006
Banned User

betty white is blind al end of stroy

Old 07-15-2013, 09:33 AM   #894
KnightGambit
Side-Kick

Betty White is way to innocent to play Blind Al >.> if you read the script

Old 07-15-2013, 09:16 PM   #895
Shockdingo
Cap America luvin' Canuck

So uh...thoughts on the news of the X-Force movie having Cable and Wade? I keep thinking this is some sort of joke, but I'm hoping Steven Lang is Nate if this is all true hah.

Old 07-21-2013, 01:17 AM   #896
Verbal21
Side-Kick

So SDCC came and went and nothing, I'm assuming?

Old 07-21-2013, 01:48 AM   #897
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbal21 View Post
So SDCC came and went and nothing, I'm assuming?
Nothing on Deadpool. Except for Singer saying anything is possible when asked about it. Funny, at The Shield and DOFP panels first questions by fans were about Deadpool showing up.

There are some interviews with Millar and Wadlow on X-Force going around. Alot of Uncanny X-Force and Original run name dropping. My guess is it's more then likely a hyrbid of the two, but who knows at this point.

Wadlow says he's about 20 pages in and has the story all mapped out. Hopefully some more interviews will be released in the next day or two.

Last edited by def28; 07-21-2013 at 02:20 AM.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:13 AM   #898
MarvelU
Side-Kick

I would love it for them to re-cast deadpool.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:03 PM   #899
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

To be fair I doubt singer is involved in the X-force project

Old 07-21-2013, 10:27 PM   #900
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

I'm pretty sure if DOFP turned out to be a big success next year, FOX will suddenly forget this X-Force project and move on with another X-Men movie.

"Don't ever do that again" - X3
"They'll find us they'll always do" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
Closed Thread