Default Re: WiiU - Part 1

I like the look of those controllers.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:15 PM   #927
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron Bonne View Post
The GC controller's design was kind of ass, so I'm glad they didn't go that route. I mean, honestly, I'm not bothered. You can get controllers designed similar to DS3 for 360 and vice versa. Not a big deal.
I thought the Gc controller was good, very comfortable. There were some design flaws though. Springs for the L and R, one Z button, ABYX should have been the same size, small D-pad, and the C-Stick wasn't good for dual analog controls.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:26 PM   #928
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith16 View Post
well there's also the issue of what sony did with the their version of a motion controller too which looked alot like the wii nun chuck controller. The only difference was that glowing ball on their remote version of theirs. but they look really similar with just minor differences . any way no one should have a problem if that can be overlooked so should this. it's just not the first time this has happened

The glowing ball was the only difference between the two? The differences in actual appearances were more than simply minor. The Move and Wii-mote shared similar functionality but they did not look all that similar

Not only do they not look physically the same, they dont even share the same buttons, nor do the buttons that are on them have the same layout. In all honesty, this Wii-U controller and the Xbox one look a whole lot more alike than the Move and Wii-mote ever did

Last edited by Havok83; 07-22-2013 at 12:34 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:29 PM   #929
zenith16
Side-Kick

your missing the parts of both controllers that had the analog sticks. other then that as I said minor difference's and when I say that I meant shape design wise. but when it came to the full nun chuck look that was totally copied. other then that I don't really care, and other people still saw that as them doing same thing prior to this and it was said often even with certain people trying to look the other way just to talk about that aspect dropped.

And while me saying this will drive certain people up the wall, that was the case. As I don't care other then certain parts were still the same when it comes to that copying the nun chuck look. No one should be having issues since that part was copied it wasn't that much of a big deal or people trying to push that it wasn't and over look it.

Also and Other wise logi tech would be in court with sony too and alot of other people won't be making controllers.

Last edited by zenith16; 07-22-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:16 PM   #930
Havok83
Side-Kick

Like I said they share similar functionality. The way they are held and used together are similar but cosmetically the individual motion controllers do not look that similar. It's no different than any game pad which also all for the most part are held the same way and have similar functionality. I don't think Sony's motion scheme share as many blatant similarities with the Wii as the Xbox and Wii U game pad do which only major difference is a reversal of the right stick placement.

Old 07-22-2013, 02:33 PM   #931
Tron Bonne
NEW CHALLENGER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey-Bat View Post
I thought the Gc controller was good, very comfortable. There were some design flaws though. Springs for the L and R, one Z button, ABYX should have been the same size, small D-pad, and the C-Stick wasn't good for dual analog controls.
Yeah, I agree, except with the comfortable part

I really didn't like that controller very much. I was kind of astonished that something with such poor design was pushed through.

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:45 PM   #932
zenith16
Side-Kick

Nintendo not accepting Japanese applications for Wii U indie development

(1 hour ago)

Nintendo made sure to highlight the Wii U's friendliness to independent developers right out the gate. There were indie games on the Wii U eShop at launch last year and the platform continues to play host to great indies like Runner 2 and Toki Tori 2. Nintendo's independent outreach, however, doesn't extend worldwide, Kotaku reports.

According to a GDC questionnaire that recently began circulating, the Japanese company isn't accepting Wii U game pitches from independent Japanese developers. The policy has since been confirmed by CVG.

Nintendo didn't provide its reason for excluding Japanese developers, stating only that "[t]he policy in question is the decision of Nintendo's department responsible for licensing activities in each region, and the licensing department of Nintendo is currently not accepting subject applications from individuals in Japan."

Nintendo not accepting applications from its home country is strange, especially given the recent push from console makers to create more open publishing models. Sony's PS4 will allow for self-publishing, and Microsoft has just announced that the Xbox One will support it as well.
Source: Kotaku, CVG

Old 07-25-2013, 11:28 AM   #933
zenith16
Side-Kick

more on a previous story that was mentioned earlier.

Dreamfall Chapters Developer Aiming To Release The Game On Wii U. July 25, 2013 . 8:30am

“Nintendo approached us last autumn, immediately after Dreamfall Chapters was announced—they were, in fact, the first console manufacturer to do so,” says lead developer Ragnar Tørnquist.

Quote:

Last month, Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey’s lead developer, Ragnar Tørnquist, revealed that the game is headed to the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, in addition to the PC. At the time, Tørnquist said that a Wii U release was uncertain, but that the studio was going to get the game running on the platform and check for market possibilities.

Speaking with Edge Online more recently, Tørnquist revealed that the studio is in fact aiming to release Dreamfall Chapters on the Wii U, complete with GamePad support. In fact, Nintendo were the first of the three console manufacturers to get in touch with the developer.

“Nintendo approached us last autumn, immediately after Dreamfall Chapters was announced—they were, in fact, the first console manufacturer to do so,” Tørnquist shared. “At that point, however, we weren’t ready to make any commitments regarding engine and platforms, so we decided to wait. We got back in touch with Nintendo in late May of this year, and they were very interested in working with us.”

He added, “So far, they’ve been very helpful and supportive, and it’s been a painless and surprisingly rapid process.”
and in other news

Call of Duty: Ghosts haunts Wii U too

(20 minutes ago)

Nintendo of America announced Call of Duty: Ghosts will indeed be drifting onto Wii Us. The Wii U version, previously listed on retailers but unconfirmed until now, launches alongside Xbox 360, PS3, and PC siblings on November 5. The ghostly CoD is also coming to PS4 and Xbox One, but those versions remain undated.

Unlike previous series iterations, Infinity Ward's Ghosts mainly focuses on the path of one soldier throughout its campaign - well, one man and his Navy SEAL dog. Their journey will be captured in a significantly upgraded engine, which you can have a gander at here.

Tell Nintendo What You Think Of 3DS, Wii U And Their E3 Showing. July 25, 2013 . 2:20pm

What did you think of Nintendo’s E3 showing? Do you intend to buy a Wii U this year or the next, or not at all?

Quote:

What did you think of Nintendo’s E3 showing? Do you intend to buy a Wii U this year or the next, or not at all? What do you think of the 3DS?

You can let the company know in a new survey they’re conducting here. Questions range from which E3 games you’re excited about to what you think of Nintendo’s Facebook page to other Nintendo-related topics.

source: Siliconera & @NintendoAmerica& Nintendo 3DS Facebook

Last edited by zenith16; 07-25-2013 at 05:06 PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:16 PM   #934
zenith16
Side-Kick

Nintendo working to draw indie developers to Wii U

(8 hours ago)

Sony's supportive relationship with indie developers is highly visible, but Edge's recent interview revealed Nintendo's encouraging under-the-radar efforts to draw indie talent to the Wii U.

"They don't shout very loudly about it, but they are working hard behind the scenes to make their platforms as welcoming as possible," Dakko Dakko Studio Driector Rhodri Broadbent said. Dakko Dakko's upcoming project, Scram Kitty and his Buddy on Rails, will be a Wii U exclusive.

Former Rare developer and co-founder of Nyamyam Phil Tossell suggests Nintendo's approach focuses on "quality over quantity ... I think Nintendo are actively seeking indies, but they're looking for quality, experienced developers that they can maybe form a longer term relationship with." Nyamnyam's debut effort, Tengami, will reach the Wii U after launching on iOS. Continue Reading

Source: Edge [1], Edge [2]

Old 07-27-2013, 09:08 PM   #935
zenith16
Side-Kick

Nintendo Tell Developers How To Develop For Wii U. July 27, 2013 . 3:30pm

At the recent Unite Nordic 2013 conference, Nintendo held a panel about developing for Wii U.

Quote:
At the recent Unite Nordic 2013 conference, Nintendo held a panel about developing for Wii U. During the panel, Nintendo discuss the Wii U development environment and more. Watch it below:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Earlier in the year, Nintendo announced a partnership with Unity, as a result of which the company has created a Wii U-specific version of its widely-used Unity engine, making it easy for Unity developers to move their software onto the Wii U.

source: Siliconera

Old 07-27-2013, 11:50 PM   #936
Tron Bonne
NEW CHALLENGER

Good idea for them. Cheaper porting costs could get more third party stuff, though the sales are still pretty low for most of them even for that.

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:33 AM   #937
BlackMagicWolf
He who is BlackMagic

A cool article about Earthbound possibly coming back:

http://twodashstash.com/2013/07/earthbound-reborn/

Check it out! Then check out our Facebook page! Also, we're on Twitter! @Guardians_Comic
Old 07-30-2013, 11:11 AM   #938
Tron Bonne
NEW CHALLENGER

I guess if Kid Icarus can make a modern comeback, just about anything is possible. I never did play the Earthbound games.

Quote:
Old 07-30-2013, 07:14 PM   #939
zenith16
Side-Kick

Nintendo Digital Purchases Through PC And Phones Coming This Year. July 30, 2013 . 4:55pm

In addition to the Miiverse, Nintendo is currently working to further expand their “digital business,” as quoted by president Satoru Iwata.
Quote:

Nintendo, have been struggling with less-than-stellar financial results for some time now, and to climb their way back up to the profit ladder, they look forward to expanding their digital business. A NicoNico News report gives us a closer look at their plans.

One of the biggest reasons smartphone games have found success in the market is largely due to their social networks that allow friends, acquaintances, and strangers to interact and share information. Those same functions are available through the Wii U’s Miiverse network service. Miiverse is one part of Nintendo’s plans.

Upon turning on the Wii U, you’ll immediately see the “Wara Wara Plaza,” where plenty of Miis gather to share information and show off the latest games they’ve been playing. This is an example of one of Nintendo’s way of following a similar structure of social networking features found in smartphone games.

In addition to the Miiverse, Nintendo is currently working to further expand their “digital business,” as quoted by president Satoru Iwata.

“It is crucial for expanding profitable opportunities,” Iwata says, and reiterates that Nintendo plans on strengthening download sales of the company’s software. While it may sound like a simple idea of just having the same product of the packaged version in a downloadable format, it creates exposure to other products found on the Nintendo eShop. In fact, there’s already data to suggest that people who’ve downloaded a title are very likely to download again, and NicoNico News’ report reiterates this as well.

Furthermore, Nintendo’s popular life simulation game, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, boasts a quarter of its total sales from downloads after half a year since its release, which shows that the way games are being purchased has in fact changed.

Nintendo also provided some other interesting information. For starters, currently, the Wii U’s Internet connectivity rate stands at 80%. For the Nintendo 3DS, Japan has an 87% connectivity rate, and the US sits at 83%.

By the end of this year, Nintendo will be adding a new system that allows players to manage their Nintendo Network accounts through smartphones and PC, where they’ll also be able to make their purchases. This is a part of Nintendo’s plans to further enforce their downloadable sales, while showing players what else there is in store for them.

source: Siliconera

Old 07-30-2013, 07:41 PM   #940
BlackMagicWolf
He who is BlackMagic

Tron Bonne: Yeah who knows right? I played Earthbound a little on emulator but it got really hard and I had to stop. Maybe a sequel can bring some magic back to the franchise, you know outside of Japan.

Check it out! Then check out our Facebook page! Also, we're on Twitter! @Guardians_Comic
Old 07-31-2013, 05:49 AM   #941
Havok83
Side-Kick

Nintendo's financial report has been released and no surprise the Wii U isn't doing too good at all this past quarter. Yikes! At least they have the 3DS to keep them afloat

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/...re-wii-u-sales

Old 07-31-2013, 07:01 AM   #942
MagnarTheGreat
The Avatar

3 months sales (Apr-Jun) totaling 160,000 units worldwide at this point is beyond terribad...

Old 07-31-2013, 07:44 AM   #943
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnarTheGreat View Post
3 months sales (Apr-Jun) totaling 160,000 units worldwide at this point is beyond terribad...
It is when that number is less than half of what they previously reported in the quarter prior. Thats a significant drop off showing a decline in momentum (which wasnt much to begin with). Not to mention by comparison, the PS3 and 360 did well more than 160K in just 2 months in North America alone. Heck the 360 had 140K for just June. Thats one month and one territory. The Wii U's numbers for the period are dissapointing considering it accounts for 3 months and their total sales worldwide

Last edited by Havok83; 07-31-2013 at 07:47 AM.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:51 AM   #944
MagnarTheGreat
The Avatar

Yeah, and the PS3/360 are going on 8 and 7 years old now.

I don't think the PS3 at $599 for its main SKU and a crappy lineup at the beginning ever did this bad.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:11 AM   #945
StrainedEyes
All the way up it!

When was the last time you saw a Wii U advertisement?

Old 07-31-2013, 09:14 AM   #946
MagnarTheGreat
The Avatar

Who needs mass market advertising when you have Nintendo Directs? This company lives in a bubble.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:19 AM   #947
Havok83
Side-Kick

This fall will be big for them. They will finally have some quality games come out but they will also have to contend with the next gen releases which will no doubt get most of the buzz and promotional space at retailers. I think the only option they have to even compete is to announce a price drop. Most serious gamers are already decided on what they want and this won't change that but it will solidify a purchase from a mom buying a system for her kid if its $100 to $150 less than what the rest is offering

Old 07-31-2013, 09:29 AM   #948
MagnarTheGreat
The Avatar

Ah, here's the numbers for the PS3's worst quarter worldwide at the beginning: 700,000

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/data...s3_sale_e.html

And it was competing against the Wii and the 360 at the time at $599 main SKU and little compelling software.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:33 AM   #949
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

The yen & the 3DS is helping them out but it looks bad for the long term future of wii U. There's big games yet to come out but the price needs to be much lower by the time the $399 PS4 comes out or it's going to get wiped out.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:38 AM   #950
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnarTheGreat View Post
Ah, here's the numbers for the PS3's worst quarter worldwide at the beginning: 700,000

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/data...s3_sale_e.html

And it was competing against the Wii and the 360 at the time at $599 main SKU and little compelling software.
& only 2 other quarters under 1.6m (10 x this quarter for wii U)! I'd like to see these figures for other consoles. Quite interesting.