The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: How do you think Man of Steel will do?
1.5 billion 11 5.85%
1 billion 27 14.36%
900 million 13 6.91%
800 million 35 18.62%
700 million 41 21.81%
600 million 29 15.43%
500 million 18 9.57%
400 million 8 4.26%
300 million 2 1.06%
200 million 4 2.13%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 06:50 AM   #51
sf2
Side-Kick

Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - - - - - Part 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
That's a fantastic number especially for a reboot. What's annoying me is WBs are said to be disapointed by that number. They didn't really expect a billion did they? They should have known from Batman Begins that you lay your groundwork first and move from there. I do want SvB but I can't help thinking we've been robbed of a potentially huge MOS 2. But of course I'm psyched about Superman & Batman on screen together. Just the more think about the 2015 release date it makes me think they did it as a reaction to Avengers 2 and Star Wars. They want a piece of the pie.
Couldn't say any better. My thought and my feeling exactly.
I truly believe by showing how superman has earned the trust of the people and they embrace and cheer for him in the end in MOS2 would really make a very lucrative movie for WB. I mean the audiences are so ready for it... even they (including the critics ) want it in MOS...

Just a pity... we wouldn't get it...

Old 07-23-2013, 06:52 AM   #52
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

When did a billion become the benchmark for success?
It's ridiculous. The problem is movie studios are pumping huge budgets into the movie so it needs a huge return just to break even.
Did Lone Ranger need a 200m budget? Seriously?

Old 07-23-2013, 06:56 AM   #53
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

I would bet my bottom dollar that if Sony owned another tent pole hero along with Spider-Man that character would have appeared in the movie.
I.e. if Sony owned the rights for Wolverine, they wouldn't bother with a Wolverine solo movie they would team up Wolverine and Spider-Man.

Come to think of it, I would love to see that because Spider-Man vs Wolverine is in my top 5 greatest Spider-Man comic book stories ever.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:56 AM   #54
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
When did a billion become the benchmark for success?
It's ridiculous. The problem is movie studios are pumping huge budgets into the movie when it needs a huge return just to break even.
Did Lone Ranger need a 200m budget? Seriously?
Exactly, problem is WBs have wanted a taste of Avengers type BO cause they think throwing the heroes into one film was the sole reason it made a billion. It didn't had they done their homework or started a DC Universe years ago they'd have had that billion dollar plus movie. This is what scares me about Superman vs Batman, I'm psyched but what if they think the solution is just those two on screen and we don't get a great product or they disgregard the start MOS had made for them and sacrifice Clarks journey for a Superman Batman spectacle. I'm scared and excited all at the same time cause if SVB doesn't work a potential DC universe on film might be ****ed all because they were greedy ****ers.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 07-23-2013, 06:58 AM   #55
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Exactly, problem is WBs have wanted a taste of Avengers type BO cause they think throwing the heroes into one film was the sole reason it made a billion. It didn't had they done their homework or started a DC Universe years ago they'd have had that billion dollar plus movie. This is what scares me about Superman vs Batman, I'm psyched but what if they think the solution is just those two on screen and we don't get a great product or they disgregard the start MOS had made for them and sacrifice Clarks journey for a Superman Batman spectacle. I'm scared and excited all at the same time cause if SVB doesn't work a potential DC universe on film might be ****ed all because they were greedy ****ers.
I don't think you need to worry, I think Batman Superman is going to work despite itself. I just want there to be conversation between the two iconic heroes that rivals the Batman Joker interrogation scene.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:11 AM   #56
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
I don't think you need to worry, I think Batman Superman is going to work despite itself. I just want there to be conversation between the two iconic heroes that rivals the Batman Joker interrogation scene.
To be honest so do I but with it been WBs I can't help but worry. I just get frustrated thinking about this wealth of characters they've done nothing with, it amazes me.

Btw agree with what u said on budgets seems these movie studios just throw their money away. Look at Dredd, made for very little but a good film, shame it made little mind although that was due to not spending any money on marketing so I guess there is the flip side lol

Old 07-23-2013, 07:22 AM   #57
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
To be honest so do I but with it been WBs I can't help but worry. I just get frustrated thinking about this wealth of characters they've done nothing with, it amazes me.

Btw agree with what u said on budgets seems these movie studios just throw their money away. Look at Dredd, made for very little but a good film, shame it made little mind although that was due to not spending any money on marketing so I guess there is the flip side lol
Basically film makers are using CGI (which is ridiculously expensive) as a crutch rather than coming up with inventive ways of achieving effects practically and cheaply. A western (LR) should have next to NO effects and if it does it should be minitures.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:31 AM   #58
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Basically film makers are using CGI (which is ridiculously expensive) as a crutch rather than coming up with inventive ways of achieving effects practically and cheaply. A western (LR) should have next to NO effects and if it does it should be minitures.
Agreed and don't even get me started on pracitcal vs CG, just look at recent horror movies lol

Old 07-23-2013, 07:49 AM   #59
JOE
____#BringHomeSpidey____

TASM's practical stunts were amazing.

"You see... Madness, as you know, is like gravity. All you need is a little push!"

"If you make yourself more than just an avatar, if you devote yourself to an ideal, you become something else entirely... A legend, Mr. Kane52630"

@JoeJoeJoeUrBoat
Old 07-23-2013, 07:54 AM   #60
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE View Post
TASM's practical stunts were amazing.
Yeah definitely, I love that film but I was kind of irked the Lizard was all CG instead of a guy in a suit. Looking at some of the great horror movie FX would it have been so hard to get a 7 foot stunt guy or even a smaller one using CG in a better way to make him bigger? I would have preferred that.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:59 AM   #61
Superchan
Side-Kick

Quote:
By who? People like Jett of BOF and Sean Gerber of Modern Myth Media who know people in the industry and some quite closely. WBs evidently were expecting more but as someone said why didn't they release it in PR's date?
"people in the industry" huh! yeah everyone and their grandmother has industry "insiders" it means utter jack!
The proof is in the pudding, if WB weren't happy with MOS's take then why get the same team to handle WF? That's the only thing you need to remember!
Not to mention that they publically stated that they expected MOS to open at 70 mill but they were obviously low balling it to avoid potential embarrassment but according to "people in the industry" the studio was expecting 90 million, so 116 mill is well above those expectations, so if I were to go by that logic then I'd say that the film more than developed for the studio.
But you know what, it doesn't matter, talk is cheap and people will keep talking nonsense and I say let'm. Superman has his reboot and it's a success and he's getting another film in 2015, it may not be a solo film but it will very likely make a billion + and that can only mean more exposure and more money for the character's future solo film(s) and make no mistake, there will be more superman solo films to cash in on WF/JL fame. So I'm just gonna sit back and enjoy more superman!!

Old 07-23-2013, 08:17 AM   #62
JOE
____#BringHomeSpidey____

Quote:
Yeah definitely, I love that film but I was kind of irked the Lizard was all CG instead of a guy in a suit. Looking at some of the great horror movie FX would it have been so hard to get a 7 foot stunt guy or even a smaller one using CG in a better way to make him bigger? I would have preferred that.
They did use a guy in a suit though... There's footage of some monstrous dude in a big suit throwing Spidey around in the school fight scene. Check it out, there was a guy.

"You see... Madness, as you know, is like gravity. All you need is a little push!"

"If you make yourself more than just an avatar, if you devote yourself to an ideal, you become something else entirely... A legend, Mr. Kane52630"

@JoeJoeJoeUrBoat
Old 07-23-2013, 08:17 AM   #63
Bruce_Begins
Taking a break.

Take a look at this article, where the writer says -

Quote:
Blockbuster comic book movies: Where is it going wrong for DC?

Even 'Man of Steel' isn't enchanting the regular cinema-goers, although it will surely do well, but it lost the top spot after less than 2 weeks in US cinemas.
http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/blockbust...181000762.html

I think that this perception that MOS is not really doing great is ridiculous, it did solid numbers at B.O.

*\S/T*

I'll be back !
Old 07-23-2013, 08:19 AM   #64
JOE
____#BringHomeSpidey____

It did well, no doubt. In comparison to it's hype is where it lacked. People were talking as if this movie would hit a billion, so in that respect it failed. But by no means in the BO as a whole did it fail. Just against crazy and unfair expectations.

@JoeJoeJoeUrBoat
Old 07-23-2013, 08:21 AM   #65
robot
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
Take a look at this article, where the writer says -

http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/blockbust...181000762.html

I think that this perception that MOS is not really doing great is ridiculous, it did solid numbers at B.O.
There's a difference between Box Office Numbers and how people liked or not liked a movie.

MOS had the greatest drop of all time (close) week after week, most weeks more than 60%, and that shows how 'unenchanted the general audience is'.

It got a huge boost because of Superman's brand and hype and tons of Superman Fans...

To be honest, although I personally thought it was the most enjoyable movie of the year for me (because as a huge Supe fan, I think I am a bit biased and tolerated a lot of the issues with the movie), but needless to say, lots of my friends either thought it was just 'ok' and some even totally hated it.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:22 AM   #66
JOE
____#BringHomeSpidey____

I got the same reactions with the people I went with. ^

@JoeJoeJoeUrBoat
Old 07-23-2013, 08:25 AM   #67
Bruce_Begins
Taking a break.

This years Summer was crowed and most of the animated movies do well at B.O., especially Pixar and DreamWorks movies, there was no chance that MOS could have stayed at the number One position for a month.

IM 3 had very little competition for a month, which enabled it to earn money, WB placed MOS in a slot where it was always going to be difficult for it to do well, imagine Hobbit in place of MOS, now can anyone safely predict that Hobbit would have earned just as much money as it did in place of MOS ?

*\S/T*

I'll be back !
Old 07-23-2013, 08:27 AM   #68
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Quote:
This years Summer was crowed and most of the animated movies do well at B.O., especially Pixar and DreamWorks movies, there was no chance that MOS could have stayed at the number One position for a month.
Hey now ! Don't post reasoning thoughts ! Reasoning does not exist in the Hype boards.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:29 AM   #69
JOE
____#BringHomeSpidey____

Logic isn't allowed in these parts of the boards.

@JoeJoeJoeUrBoat
Old 07-23-2013, 08:32 AM   #70
Bruce_Begins
Taking a break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnorKon-El View Post
Hey now ! Don't post reasoning thoughts ! Reasoning does not exist in the Hype boards.
Whenever I visit this thread I see posts (BH/HHH and herolee) saying all kinds of depressing things.

BTW, where's Tobias.

*\S/T*

I'll be back !
Old 07-23-2013, 08:36 AM   #71
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Quote:
Whenever I visit this thread I see posts (BH/HHH and herolee) saying all kinds of depressing things.

BTW, where's Tobias.
Herolee is rage quitting all over the place.
I'm not sure what happened to my best friend Tobias. He either got banned or just stopped posting.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:39 AM   #72
JOE
____#BringHomeSpidey____

I tried clicking on Tobias' name and it brought me to the thread moderator's page. I think he may have deleted his account. Anyone seen Anno lately or is he banned for good?

@JoeJoeJoeUrBoat
Old 07-23-2013, 08:49 AM   #73
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superchan View Post
"people in the industry" huh! yeah everyone and their grandmother has industry "insiders" it means utter jack!
The proof is in the pudding, if WB weren't happy with MOS's take then why get the same team to handle WF? That's the only thing you need to remember!
Not to mention that they publically stated that they expected MOS to open at 70 mill but they were obviously low balling it to avoid potential embarrassment but according to "people in the industry" the studio was expecting 90 million, so 116 mill is well above those expectations, so if I were to go by that logic then I'd say that the film more than developed for the studio.
But you know what, it doesn't matter, talk is cheap and people will keep talking nonsense and I say let'm. Superman has his reboot and it's a success and he's getting another film in 2015, it may not be a solo film but it will very likely make a billion + and that can only mean more exposure and more money for the character's future solo film(s) and make no mistake, there will be more superman solo films to cash in on WF/JL fame. So I'm just gonna sit back and enjoy more superman!!
Its quite common knowledge that Jett has contacts in the industry and he's friends with Michael Uslan whose one of the producers of all the Batman movies. People inside WBs expected MOS to do more than its done.

I personally think they should be very happy its made a ton of money.

I'm gonna sit back and enjoy it myself.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:54 AM   #74
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:

BTW, where's Tobias.
What depressing things have I said?

If you mean the BO thing let me be clear, its been reported that people at WBs wanted more at the BO for MOS but I don't agree that they should be in anyway disapointed. I think its done fantastic especially with the competition its had. I don't get why anyone inside the WBs studio would be unsatisfied with a film in anyway that's grossed nearly 3 times its budget, that's what baffles me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE View Post
They did use a guy in a suit though... There's footage of some monstrous dude in a big suit throwing Spidey around in the school fight scene. Check it out, there was a guy.
But they still CGId him. I know what you're on about but the guy was never in Lizard gear.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:55 AM   #75
Superchan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by robot View Post
There's a difference between Box Office Numbers and how people liked or not liked a movie.

MOS had the greatest drop of all time (close) week after week, most weeks more than 60%, and that shows how 'unenchanted the general audience is'.

It got a huge boost because of Superman's brand and hype and tons of Superman Fans...

To be honest, although I personally thought it was the most enjoyable movie of the year for me (because as a huge Supe fan, I think I am a bit biased and tolerated a lot of the issues with the movie), but needless to say, lots of my friends either thought it was just 'ok' and some even totally hated it.
The drop was severe but so would any film that would have to go up against an 80 mill monsters prequel and an over performing WW Z (66). People seriously think that any movie would hold well with such competition??

All the people that I've spoken to really liked this film, infact a friend of mine who usually hates superman loved it and is now a small time superman fan!
The film is divisive for sure, but it's a big success and we're gonna see superman soon.

Closed Thread