The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 01:48 AM   #751
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

With all the Batman talk, and Lex fancasting are we missing outon something? That empty cryo chamber on the scoutship. Could Kara be an X-factor here? I always liked that she was Superman's "secret weapon" in her classic version. Showing that empty chamber has to mean something, though I could be way off.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:50 AM   #752
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
I want Metallo in the film, but DO NOT tie him to the Wayne's murder. Batman works better when it was a random thug that killed the Wayne's because it shows that Gotham is so corrupt and crime-ridden that a common criminal could kill it's most prominent citizens, and that is why Batman is needed. Having a supervillain kill them negates that (I hated when Burton did it as well). I agree with the rest of your post though.
I forgot all about in the first couple issues of Jeff Loebs' Superman/Batman they tried to imply that John Corben was Wayne's parents' killer. Oh god I hope they don't go that way here to tie it into Batman. Why does it sound like something Goyer might do though after having a cursory read through that series...

Old 07-24-2013, 01:52 AM   #753
InJustice
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville13 View Post
I forgot all about in the first couple issues of Jeff Loebs' Superman/Batman they tried to imply that John Corben was Wayne's parents' killer. Oh god I hope they don't go that way here to tie it into Batman. Why does it sound like something Goyer might do though after having a cursory read through that series...
Goyer was part of TDKT, I don't think he'll be that idiotic to stray off from Bruce Wayne's comic canon (he did pen the screenplay for Batman Begins too...).

Old 07-24-2013, 01:57 AM   #754
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by InJustice View Post
Goyer was part of TDKT, I don't think he'll be that idiotic to stray off from Bruce Wayne's comic canon (he did pen the screenplay for Batman Begins too...).
But at the same time they'll be trying to stray away from that TDK canon.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:57 AM   #755
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

I was firmly in the "Oh come on!" camp when it came to Loeb trying to imply some connection to Corben and the Wayne murders. Joe Chill killed Bruce's parents. That's like turning the Amazon's into genetic cousins of the Kryptonians. There's no need for that kind of change.

Old 07-24-2013, 02:21 AM   #756
Loki882
Side-Kick

It's like making Sandman Uncle Ben's kill.......oh wait, Raimi actually did that.

Old 07-24-2013, 02:37 AM   #757
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
It's like making Sandman Uncle Ben's kill.......oh wait, Raimi actually did that.
Don't remind me, that was the dumbest piece of crap ever.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 07-24-2013, 02:39 AM   #758
Superchan
Side-Kick

Guys I implore you to go back and read the issues again because it turned out that metallo was trying to through Batman off his trail, which was highlighted by Clark and then batman said "I thought I was supposed to be the detective!" and Clark responded by saying "its called investigative journalism BATMAN!" I gotta say, Loeb wrote some very amusing interaction between the 2.
I actually loved Batman earth one where
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
penguin hires some one to kill Thomas wayne only to have some random person (Chill) do it for him, causing penguin to make his interesting monologue about Gotham being so corrupt that the mere act of walking the streets at night would be equivalent of having a painted target on your back.
. So to be honest I wouldn't mind if Corben was that hired gun but to his amusement a random thug does the job for him, which could lead to an interesting monologue about why Bruce has taken up the fight against Gotham's corrupt foundations.

Last edited by Superchan; 07-24-2013 at 02:45 AM.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:56 AM   #759
herolee10
Ultimate Hero

Quote:
Well, Burton did make the Joker into the guy that killed Batman's parents.....so.....

Old 07-24-2013, 03:10 AM   #760
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Listening to the latest Nerdist podcast with Joss Whedon. He says one thing he wants to improve is his directing. He doesn't want to be remembered as the 'writer who shot some stuff'. It's nice to hear how down-to-earth and self-critical he is. I have a feeling A:AoU is gonna be a tough film to beat.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:18 AM   #761
herolee10
Ultimate Hero

Quote:
Listening to the latest Nerdist podcast with Joss Whedon. He says one thing he wants to improve is his directing. He doesn't want to be remembered as the 'writer who shot some stuff'. It's nice to hear how down-to-earth and self-critical he is. I have a feeling A:AoU is gonna be a tough film to beat.
A:AOU was always going to be a tough film to contend with regardless imho since Marvel Studios have done a excellent job in building such a large fanbase and getting wide recognition for their shared universe.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:20 AM   #762
SpideyFan866
1959 - 2014

Max Landis just posted his idea for Death and Return of Superman........

Please hire this man DC. PLEASE!

This may be the greatest version of this story, I've ever heard.

http://tinyurl.com/lpfpdnm

Old 07-24-2013, 07:20 AM   #763
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
A:AOU was always going to be a tough film to contend with regardless imho since Marvel Studios have done a excellent job in building such a large fanbase and getting wide recognition for their shared universe.
I think Avengers 2 will be the best superhero film for years to come, in some ways. I'm sure the character development will improve, and I'm sure they'll be a killer plot now that the characters have been established.

I actually think Avengers 2 will get a lower RT score, because I heard that Whedon's gonna do something dark in that movie, and I feel like critics attached to the tone of TA for this genre.

The Wolverine still has good ratings, but many have accused it of being too psychological and ambitious. From what I've read. :/

Old 07-24-2013, 07:37 AM   #764
Wheels
The Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post
I think Avengers 2 will be the best superhero film for years to come, in some ways. I'm sure the character development will improve, and I'm sure they'll be a killer plot now that the characters have been established.

I actually think Avengers 2 will get a lower RT score, because I heard that Whedon's gonna do something dark in that movie, and I feel like critics attached to the tone of TA for this genre.

The Wolverine still has good ratings, but many have accused it of being too psychological and ambitious. From what I've read. :/
Oh yes, because being psychological and ambitious is a bad thing. I'm growing tired of certain critics acting like every superhero film must fit the same mould.

Quote:
I gave you cookies!
-- Bo Dallas
Old 07-24-2013, 07:37 AM   #765
Superchan
Side-Kick

Its interesting to hear this pitch since landis dissed MOS about having too much destruction and then he comes out and says this, LOL!!!

Old 07-24-2013, 07:53 AM   #766
Tempest
Life is a cookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superchan View Post
Its interesting to hear this pitch since landis dissed MOS about having too much destruction and then he comes out and says this, LOL!!!
Right off the bat (heeee!) people would hate this story because there are dead bodies and fires everywhere. I'm only two minutes into this thing, and based on the whinging that has gone on ceaselessly about death and destruction and doom NOT being part of the Superman universe, I would guess at least a quarter of the people posting in here wouldn't ever step foot in theaters so as to not upset their delicate sensibilities.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:23 AM   #767
SpideyFan866
1959 - 2014

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
Right off the bat (heeee!) people would hate this story because there are dead bodies and fires everywhere. I'm only two minutes into this thing, and based on the whinging that has gone on ceaselessly about death and destruction and doom NOT being part of the Superman universe, I would guess at least a quarter of the people posting in here wouldn't ever step foot in theaters so as to not upset their delicate sensibilities.
Considering that his story is specifically dealing with Doomsday, that much death and destruction is expected.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:25 AM   #768
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

I always loved The Death of/Return of Storyline.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:30 AM   #769
Tempest
Life is a cookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyFan866 View Post
Considering that his story is specifically dealing with Doomsday, that much death and destruction is expected.
Well, considering that people are so unforgiving about an alien invasion and what would happen during that, I can't really be expected to make allowances for one creature, can I?

Old 07-24-2013, 08:33 AM   #770
DChero
Out of Work Superhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnorKon-El View Post
I always loved The Death of/Return of Storyline.
I'm with you. I wasn't too crazy about the third act making it into a movie. I feel like it could (and should) be rewritten to have Brainiac or Darkseid in the finale.

For example, Darkseid could send Doomsday to Earth to kill Superman. Once Superman is dead his forces invade Earth to fight the rest of the Justice League. Superman eventually comes back to join the Justice League in an epic battle at the end.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:51 AM   #771
PacificBoy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Actually it wasn't so much the amount of destruction that he dissed, it's the fact that all of it went unacknowledged by the movie at the end.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:54 AM   #772
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Th Biggrin Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificBoy View Post
Actually it wasn't so much the amount of destruction that he dissed, it's the fact that all of it went unacknowledged by the movie at the end.
And yet, it looks like Goyer is going to acknowledge the destruction and repercussion of Superman killing Zod in the next film.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:02 AM   #773
PacificBoy
Side-Kick

Quote:
And yet, it looks like Goyer is going to acknowledge the destruction and repercussion of Superman killing Zod in the next film.
Yes, no doubt, and a great storyline to explore Clark's continuing journey with, but that doesn't take away from the fact that in MoS, the destruction wasn't acknowledge at all.

Will Max Landis and others who share his sentiment (like me) change their view if the sequel successfully tackles the repercussions of the Kryptonians' invasion? Absolutely (well, I can only speak for myself here), but till then, this criticism holds water.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:03 AM   #774
Tempest
Life is a cookie

Quote:
That's not good enough! We needed at least a fifteen minute montage of Superman saving people, weeping, angsting, saving people, angsting, followed by some moping, an identity crisis, and more angsting.

Geez. Any person who has ever enjoyed a decent film knows that films should never leave open the door for imagining things, and it has to answer every question at every level, and stuff.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:11 AM   #775
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Quote:
But at the same time they'll be trying to stray away from that TDK canon.
Eh. The TDK canon wasn't THAT faithful. It lacked the fantasy elements of his comic counterparts. Batman quit pretty early in his career. No Robin, no Barbara Gordon (either as Batgirl OR Oracle), Huntress, etc.

Not to mention Batman himself was tense and passionate, rather than the generally stoic character of comics and animation.

And that's not mentioning that his ninja fighting ability was limited, and that they didn't spend a lot of time focusing on his detective ability. Also, he didn't use Batarangs as weapons until the third film

Furthermore, Lucious tends to be a minor character in comics, but who can object to more Morgan Freeman?

So yes, Batman and his rogues gallery can fairly easily be better adapted. But making movies with the amount of groundbreaking detail, memorable performances, ambition, good dialog, and strong narrative structuring will be the hard part.

Closed Thread