The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > The Wolverine

Old 07-24-2013, 08:17 PM   #476
Old Wolverine
Banned User

Default Re: "Are These All The Reviews You Brought?" -The Official Review Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipzip View Post
It seems none of the good ones are making it to RT.

it is currently getting trashed now

top critics have it at 45%

did they even watch the film, no way this film is garbage.

Old Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:18 PM   #477
zipzip
Side-Kick

Default Re: "Are These All The Reviews You Brought?" -The Official Review Thread

Have some faith .Its far from over.

zipzip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:20 PM   #478
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Wolverine View Post
I often find myself editing films as I watch them at the theatre. I often catch myself saying things like "terrible choice editing", "why", "needed more", needed less" etc.

This movie I actually watched it saying "perfect choices", "perfect editing", "great use of the camera" etc.

Nothing to me was over the top or jarring.

Just loved it.
You'd appreciate this quote from Mangold then:

"[The train sequence] is made up of hundreds of pieces. There's a lot of pieces in that sequence and it requires two types of planning. One of the things that could happen when planning an action sequence for a film, especially when you have resources, is that you can do anything. And the trick when you can do anything is that there's a huge temptation for the filmmaker to start flying the camera through the window of the train and up through the accordion and out the window and up the drainpipe.. and my kind of overriding goal with the actors and the camera and how I was directing the film is to try to make the film feel more real and therefore don't make shots you couldn't make. Don't make shots that [just because] the technology now allows you to. Because you can literally do anything. It almost puts the filmmaker in an odd position because suddenly you can create any frame of any shot. It's almost too many choices. Why does the chase scene in The French Connection with Popeye Doyle in Queens look so good? Because it was a handheld camera running down under the overpass and it was real... I'm in the habit of saying no. Meaning, I'm in the habit of saying give me shot as if I were doing it all absolutely 100% real."

The guy just understands pulpy action, and how to make it viscerally dynamic.

Joss Whedon's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is the cinematic equivalent of Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave with a bunch of scraps
Poni_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:22 PM   #479
zipzip
Side-Kick

The positive reviews will be added.Rt is playing the suspense game now.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:23 PM   #480
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Wolverine View Post
It seems none of the good ones are making it to RT.
You'd be surprised how many reviews aren't posted on RT. You have to apply to be an RT critic. A lot of the reviewers were grandfathered in before their strict rules were put in place (the no-name blogs you've never heard of) while many people just don't believe it in and don't bother applying. It's more of a "status" thing than a credibility one at this point.

Joss Whedon's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is the cinematic equivalent of Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave with a bunch of scraps
Old 07-24-2013, 08:31 PM   #481
zipzip
Side-Kick

My main gripe is the comparison to avengers instead of origins.They didn't do that to ironman3.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:36 PM   #482
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Yes they did. The majority of the IM3 reviews mentioned Avengers. Not only is The Avengers now the staple comic book movie, but it's more recent than Origins (that not many people even remember well)

Old 07-24-2013, 08:44 PM   #483
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

Some of you people stress out way to much over the flawed RT system. Is the final score going to have any baring on your viewing pleasure or for that matter - the general audience.

Doubtful.

Last edited by SuperT; 07-24-2013 at 08:53 PM.
SuperT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:45 PM   #484
MagnarTheGreat
The Avatar

Where's the non-English language reviews!

MagnarTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:49 PM   #485
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

The most important places general audience members refer to to gauge their interest in a movie:

1) Word of mouth

2) TV/Newspapers/magazines

3) Ticket sales sites (i.e. Fandango)

4) Social media

5) Rotten Tomatoes

RT is important, but more for regular filmgoers who do constant comparisons.

The major outlets have been raving about this movie domestically, especially the important newspapers. That's huge.

This movie won't have an enormous opening weekend simply because the marketing hasn't been the best. But it will probably have some of the best legs we've seen all summer.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:49 PM   #486
MarvelU
Side-Kick

Don't the critics themselves log in to rotten tomatoes and post their review as rotten or fresh themselves?

MarvelU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:49 PM   #487
Thor Odinson
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipzip View Post
My main gripe is the comparison to avengers instead of origins.They didn't do that to ironman3.
As Poni Boy said, they did it a lot to IM3.

Thor Odinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:49 PM   #488
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvelU View Post
Don't the critics themselves log in to rotten tomatoes and post their review as rotten or fresh themselves?
Yup

Old 07-24-2013, 08:52 PM   #489
MarvelU
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poni_Boy View Post
Yup
That is what I figured, there are quite a few positive reviews out there, but it's just a matter of the critic wanting to post it to Rotten Tomatoes.

MarvelU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:55 PM   #490
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Bingo. Two of my reviewers had accounts on RT and never used them. I was going to apply last year but just didn't feel like it. It's not that hard to get accredited through them, I just don't want to play the game.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:20 PM   #491
J_Howlett
Side-Kick

Emanuel Levy gave it a C+ so this should add as a positive.

http://www.emanuellevy.com/review/wolverine-the/

Quote:
In essence, the Wolverine crosses his adamantium claws with Samurai swords, which makes him appreciate a life that has no end. Though there are many different battles, the greatest battle is the one within Logan, torn between being a monster and becoming a human being. The writers have gone out of their way to construct a world that’s vastly different from those seen before in the X-Men series, and at a large degree they succeed, but more on the visual technical than the narrative or dramatic levels. With the exception of Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man, no single superhero has gotten more screen time than Hugh Jackman as Wolverine, so if you like Jackman, you would enjoy this curious movie.

J_Howlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:22 PM   #492
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

You can never tell. Fresh/rotten ratings are independent from their star rating.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:33 PM   #493
BMM
Side-Kick

Salon.com

"The Wolverine": Summer's best superhero flick
A long-ago act of mercy endangers Hugh Jackman's brooding manimal in the gripping ninja-action flick "Wolverine"

http://www.salon.com/2013/07/24/the_...perhero_flick/

BMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:39 PM   #494
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperT View Post
Some of you people stress out way to much over the flawed RT system. Is the final score going to have any baring on your viewing pleasure or for that matter - the general audience.

Doubtful.
And you stress out about complaining what fan-boys are worried about. Seriously, this is like the third time I've seen you make a comment like this, this month.

I think the RT rating will stay in the mid 60s to the high 60s.

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:54 PM   #495
MagnarTheGreat
The Avatar

Excluding The Wolverine, Mangold's avg. as director on RT is 68.25%.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:06 PM   #496
Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Surprisingly solid film, although towards the end it got a little too comic book for me, compared to the rest of it. Superbly shot action scenes, dark and violent for a PG-13, with an engaging story, a breath of fresh air. The best filmic representation of the character, so far.
As a fan, I'm happy at what I've read so far about The Wolverine. I can't wait for Friday to find out for myself.

Critics seem to find the film smart and even the ones that have voted thumbs down seem to be saying that it's at least 2/3 of a good character film with a wild ending. That formula works for me.

Reading that it is "the most gripping comic book movie of the year" and that it is "an antithesis to recent overblown blockbusters" makes me think that Mangold nailed it. Everything I've seen and read says this film has done the character justice.

Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:08 PM   #497
MagnarTheGreat
The Avatar

I'm so glad I'm done watching Origins, hope this is a film that can wash the memories of it from my mind.

Last edited by MagnarTheGreat; 07-24-2013 at 10:12 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:17 PM   #498
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

I really feel like there's a lot of wishful thinking here...

I've seen the movie... For everything it does well, it throws a lot of it out the window with a garbage ending. There's a lot of cool character stuff in there but it gets cheapened by a wonky ending and the baggage left over from The Last Stand.

It's a fun film, it's a good Wolverine film.... But considering the fantastic source material, I feel it still falls well short of the mark. Being better than the last Wolverine film shouldn't give it a free pass. The Wolverine Japan story simply wasn't done as well as it could have been.

And all these quotes about it being a refreshingly different comic book movie are blown well out of proportion. While it does have some cool down moments and interesting character development, there is still a lot of arbitrary action.

The middle section of the film is probably the coolest part. I just don't know why they didn't have faith that Yakuza, Ninjas, Wolverine's self doubt and his love of Mariko wasn't enough to carry a story. THAT is what had me engaged... Then they threw it out the window for
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
a freaking robot fight... what the hell was that about?

Also, Mangold's interpretation of Japan was a little stale. I would have liked someone with more of an appreciation for Eastern cinema.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:17 PM   #499
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

The RT consensus is very good!

But what I noticed about Rotten Tomatoes these days, is they give out the consensus very early. Like they should compile at least 100 reviews first before releasing the consensus especially for a tentpole movie like this.

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:25 PM   #500
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Wishful thinking? How so? It's not a direct adaptation of the comic. If you go into it expecting that you're foolish. They used that story as the thematic setting for a film that still lives within the confines of the X-Men movie-verse. They weren't just going to throw it all away and make a solo outing.

That being said, I feel it had the same issues with the ending that Iron Man 3 did. Sort of a cop-out actiony battle sequence that doesn't jive with the first two acts. But it's clear why they did that (as with IM3) because at the end of the day it's a superhero movie and they needed something in there to wow the kiddies.

I'm critical as hell of comic book movies. I went into this ready willing and able to mock it. And it proved me wrong on almost every level. Opinions differ, but I'd say mine is the general consensus.