The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Avengers: Age of Ultron

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 01:46 PM   #1
Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator

Default The Avengers 2! The Official News and Speculation Thread - Upgrade section 5

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Old 07-25-2013, 01:46 PM   #2
Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator

Default The Avengers 2! The Official News and Speculation Thread - Upgrade section 4

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Old 07-25-2013, 01:46 PM   #3
Loki882
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Avengers 2! The Official News and Speculation Thread - Upgrade section 4

DrCosmic, except that Stark WASN'T the main focus of Avengers, I really don't get why people are saying that.

Old 07-25-2013, 01:52 PM   #4
Lord
All Mighty

Default Re: The Avengers 2! The Official News and Speculation Thread - Upgrade section 4 -

Stark wasn't the main focus, in fact there was a version of the film that had Captain America as the entire main focus but Joss Whedon decided to make the Avengers all equal

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Old 07-25-2013, 02:03 PM   #5
StreetWarrior
Respectfully disagreeing.

Default Re: The Avengers 2! The Official News and Speculation Thread - Upgrade section 4 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
Stark wasn't the main focus, in fact there was a version of the film that had Captain America as the entire main focus but Joss Whedon decided to make the Avengers all equal
Except Hawkeye

Old 07-25-2013, 02:06 PM   #6
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetWarrior View Post
Except Hawkeye
who cares

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Old 07-25-2013, 02:09 PM   #7
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Default Re: The Avengers 2! The Official News and Speculation Thread - Upgrade section 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
DrCosmic, except that Stark WASN'T the main focus of Avengers, I really don't get why people are saying that.
The reasons I say it are:
1) Stark has the most significant character arc of the film, both in degree of change, time devoted to said arc, and relevance to the overall story.
2) Stark is the one who actually fixes the problem (with an assist from Black Widow, and technically, the WSC)
3) Stark is the one who deduces Loki's plan and confronts Loki on a personal level. Even Thor cannot get inside Loki's head, but Stark does, and makes it look good.(Edit: And Stark figures out the plan so quickly because it's centered on him!)
4) Stark is the first Avenger we meet, he has arguably the grandest entrance. If we count Thor's entrance as greater, then... well, it was great because he was fighting Iron Man.
5) Stark also figures out what SHIELD is up to and basically pwns them, though to be fair, his suspicion does provoke Cap to do the same.
6) RDJ pretty much steals every scene he's in, except the Big Lab Argument
7) He was the most promoted and most favorited character.
8) Stark is the center of the climactic scene, and has the last line.
9+) I could kinda go on and on. Anything that made any other character important (with the possible exception of Loki) Stark seems to have done and then some. Cap gives orders... when Stark tells him to. Hulk smashes Loki... after Stark fortold his inevitable defeat and put him on his back. Thor lightnings up some Behemoths, Stark flies straight through them. Coulson dies failing to stop Loki, Stark practically dies succeeding.

Now, all the Avengers were ostensibly equal, and they all did cool things and had necessary roles in the story, but the Iron Man was clearly the most significant and relevant member of the team.

Last edited by DrCosmic; 07-25-2013 at 02:22 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:14 PM   #8
Endeavor
Que bolá con el timbeque?

StreetWarrior, thank you for doing a better work of conveying everything I've been trying to say about the Pym/Ultron/Stark scenario.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:19 PM   #9
StreetWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
who cares
Many people who were fans of the comic. Hawkeye is/was pretty popular in the comics world. The movie, while amazing in nearly all regards, didn't do the character justice. In the comics, Hawkeye has RDJ's personality and Stark is much more serious. Their personalities were flipped.

And... I care.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:19 PM   #10
StreetWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeavor View Post
StreetWarrior, thank you for doing a better work of conveying everything I've been trying to say about the Pym/Ultron/Stark scenario.
You're quite welcome! Just glad I'm not alone.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:22 PM   #11
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

Hawkeye deserves more. And I think Whedon agrees with you guys. He should play a much bigger role in TA2.

Of course theres a significant chance that Hawkeye will meet his maker by the end of the movie. Whedon's been known to do that.

At the risk of being totally offensive...there's a quote from Ghandi about Christianity that can be reappropriated for this.

"I like your Christopher Nolan, but I do not like your Nolanites."
Old 07-25-2013, 02:33 PM   #12
Mightyally
Mr Arcade

I hope he and Hulk mess with eachother and builds this relationship where they "hate" on eachother and then when he dies Hulk goes crazy and smash em!

They managed pretty well in the cartoons to create this haweye-hulk messing thingy.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:38 PM   #13
StreetWarrior

I love Hawkeye but he is definitely the most expendable. But hey, this is a comic book movie. EVERYONE dies and comes back and some point or another. Hell, Hawkeye's died twice in the last 10 years. At the hands of the Scarlet Witch even.

Did I just discover how Whedon can have his death even without Marvel wanting him (really) killing off a character?

Old 07-25-2013, 02:52 PM   #14
Endeavor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyally View Post
I hope he and Hulk mess with eachother and builds this relationship where they "hate" on eachother and then when he dies Hulk goes crazy and smash em!

They managed pretty well in the cartoons to create this haweye-hulk messing thingy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKo3Vmlbqf8

Old 07-25-2013, 02:59 PM   #15
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
Ya that was a good series of posts.

resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 07-25-2013, 03:03 PM   #16
StreetWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
Ya that was a good series of posts.
Thank you!

Anyone have any guesses on how they'll handle Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver? I'm guessing that the Avengers' first act will be to capture the duo for smaller crimes (hence Whedon's quote about them being villains). Then, when things with Ultron heat up, they'll be released from custody to join the team against Ultron. Scarlet Witch does have a long history of being the one to take down Ultron. Technology is apparently weak against (chaos) magic...

Just and idea.

Last edited by StreetWarrior; 07-25-2013 at 03:09 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:18 PM   #17
Mightyally
Mr Arcade

Quote:
Haha!

Old 07-25-2013, 03:24 PM   #18
Endeavor

Quote:
Haha!

*sigh* I miss that show

Old 07-25-2013, 03:25 PM   #19
Endeavor

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetWarrior View Post
..Then, when things with Ultron heat up, they'll be released from custody to join the team against Ultron. Scarlet Witch does have a long history of being the one to take down Ultron. Technology is apparently weak against (chaos) magic...

Just and idea.
I think it's a safe bet she'll be instrumental in fighting the Ultron threat. But they'll probably leave it up to Tony to deliver the winning blow.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:29 PM   #20
BoredGuy
Killing Time

Well Tony had the final blow in Avengers
So I'd like to see either Wanda do it since she's a newbie, or ideally, Thor having a "We would have words with thee!" moment

or hell, maybe the avengers are defeated except Cap, who then picks up the hammer and drops it on Ultron's head

Old 07-25-2013, 03:31 PM   #21
StreetWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredGuy View Post
Well Tony had the final blow in Avengers
So I'd like to see either Wanda do it since she's a newbie, or ideally, Thor having a "We would have words with thee!" moment
Oh! "We would have words with Thee!" had better be in there. It's a friggen classic!

Old 07-25-2013, 03:33 PM   #22
RockSP
MYTH SMITH ∞!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
4) Stark is the first Avenger we meet, he has arguably the grandest entrance. If we count Thor's entrance as greater, then... well, it was great because he was fighting Iron Man.
8) Stark is the center of the climactic scene, and has the last line.
I agree pretty much with what you're saying except for the above.

We meet everybody (except Thor) before Stark in Avengers.

Fury has the last line.

http://myth-smith.com/
Old 07-25-2013, 03:43 PM   #23
Mightyally
Mr Arcade

Quote:

*sigh* I miss that show
Same here. Have you begun to watch the new Avengers Assemble that is the follow-up?

Old 07-25-2013, 03:44 PM   #24
Doc Ock
Hellboy for Halloween?

Quote:
Same here. Have you begun to watch the new Avengers Assemble that is the follow-up?
Follow-up my butt.

I can't stand Avengers Assemble. I don't think its very good.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:45 PM   #25
BoredGuy
Killing Time

the animation in AA just looks so painfully bad, haven't been able to bring myself to watch it, also heard the "humor" was a little painful, has it improved??

Closed Thread