Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 04:22 PM   #26
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Default Re: Let The Claws Do The Talking - Rate & Review "The Wolverine"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestStar2004 View Post
But if your not a big wolverine fan but see it just x-men value you may feel it may feel abit tedious and same old cliche really
Although if you see a movie called "The Wolverine" and expect to see an X-Men film...you should probably check the title again.

Old 07-25-2013, 04:25 PM   #27
lastairbender
Side-Kick

I'm looking again at the Frank Miller comic. There are great pictures, based on light and shadows silhouettes and iconic scenes..

I know the movie is arriving but is there scenes or images that transport us directly to the book?

For example ,I know the scene with all the arrows in Wolvie body and some ninja fight..

Old 07-25-2013, 04:29 PM   #28
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
Although if you see a movie called "The Wolverine" and expect to see an X-Men film...you should probably check the title again.
Not everyone whose seeing this film is a huge wolverine fan though

overall personally I feel we seen wolverine do all this stuff before, just maybe bigger scale with this film, which is why I say if you are expecting something new you may feel its abit tedious but if your a huge wolverine fan then you may love it

I like wolverine but am not a huge fan, but I thought It was a decent film, definitely not an X3 or Origins

Last edited by GuestStar2004; 07-25-2013 at 05:02 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:59 PM   #29
Moridin
Death Contagious Deity

I'll echo others in saying the new Japanese actresses we're great, you'd never know they were first timers.

I found Viper to be pretty "meh" though.

After all the "3rd act talk" I was expecting something a lot more jarring than what we got, I noticed it but barely, it didn't really bother me. Plus it had a couple of "holy $#!1" moments with the claws getting lopped off and drilled into.

Possibly Jackman's best performance in the role.

My thoughts on it are kind of scattered, I'll have to see it again for it to settle in.

Defend night-flight sites...
Trap clamped, snared for pyres...

Witchtripper...
Witchtripper...
Old 07-25-2013, 05:02 PM   #30
Carlo Comicus
Side-Kick

I saw the movie today. Good but not great.

http://www.shockdom.com/webcomics/frankcarter/
Old 07-25-2013, 06:24 PM   #31
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackFox View Post
WOW what the **** did I just see!!

I need to watch this again before I can score it, totally not the film I expected at all, but in a good way.

However for now I shall leave my initial thoughts before watching it again and forming a more concise and clear headed opinion:

1. This is not a kids comic book film, adults only need apply.
2. It has some of the best Marvel action set pieces out of all of their films.
3. It has the single most badass fight in comic book movie history.

oh and

4. I can not friggin wait for the uncut version, its crying out for it.
More than the train fight in Spider-Man 2?

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Old 07-25-2013, 08:18 PM   #32
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

As for the action sequences, nothing really stood out for me. I didn't have a reaction of "wow thats the best scene ever". But most of them were good like the bullet train scene, the funeral scene, Yukio VS Shingen and Shingen VS Wolverine.

Though I think the Wolverine VS Ninjas/Harada could have been way better, like I expected 5 minutes of Wolverine slashing dozens of Ninjas and they should have separated the fight scenes of Yukio/Viper and SilverSamurai/Wolverine. Everything in that moment were happening way too fast.

"Don't ever do that again" - X3
"They'll find us they'll always do" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
Old 07-25-2013, 10:13 PM   #33
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard Sisko View Post
More than the train fight in Spider-Man 2?
Or the Smallville and General Zod fights in MOS?

Hell Thor vs Iron Man was the most epic fight in The Avengers I'd certainly rank it up there.

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
Old 07-25-2013, 11:45 PM   #34
J.Howlett

Second best film in the series behind X2. Just a solid, emotional epilogue and closing chapter to the Logan saga that began in X-Men. This is Jackman's best turn as Logan. Without question. More later but I'm looking forward to the extended cut on Blu-Ray.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Got to say though, I'm gonna need those adamantium claws back for Days of Future Past. For the battle that's about to go down, bone claws ain't going to cut it.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:49 PM   #35
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Yeah, but do we really need to see Wolverine in DOFP searching for adamantium and cover his bone claws with that again?

I feel like it might be an extra baggage for DOFP.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:51 PM   #36
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

well
considering wolverine for much of DOFP will be In 1973 before he gets his adamanturm skeltion the bone claws may happen here for a reason

Old 07-25-2013, 11:54 PM   #37
J.Howlett

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
Yeah, but do we really need to see Wolverine in DOFP searching for adamantium and cover his bone claws with that again?

I feel like it might be an extra baggage for DOFP.
I'm expecting that when they explain how Xavier's back in his own body that they'll discuss getting his claws back.

Still, with the trilogy and now this film, the Logan saga is done. He's a soldier now.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:03 AM   #38
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Howlett View Post
I'm expecting that when they explain how Xavier's back in his own body that they'll discuss getting his claws back.

Still, with the trilogy and now this film, the Logan saga is done. He's a soldier now.
Well Xavier going back to his own body could be explained in 1 sentence. And it already happened in X3.

Wolverine getting his adamantium claws back hasn't happened yet.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:04 AM   #39
Kanon
Horseman of sleepyness

Loved it. A solid 9. It's beautiful, and intense. The only con: some mutant characters could have been regular humans easily, it would have contributed to the otherwise grounded feel of the film.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:04 AM   #40
Mr. Dent
Banned User

This was great, feels weird to say that about a Wolverine movie. Their take on the Silver Samurai wasn't bad, it worked for the movie at least. It's not like Wolverine fighting a guy in a gigantic Samurai outfit made sense anyway.

And learning Japanese finally came in handy for something other than weaboo ****.

And of course, dat post-credits scene.

I don't like Fox but props to them for this one. I'd rate this as up there with my favorite films of this summer, along with Pacific Rim and Star Trek. About a 7.5/10 seems appropriate.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:08 AM   #41
J_Howlett
Side-Kick

Quick thoughts, no spoilers..

From the beginning of the movie until the end of the bullet train sequence (maybe 35min in total) I was at the edge of my seat with my jaw on the floor. The way Mangold directed this movie was very, very impressive. The story, in my opinion was almost a carbon copy of The Last Samurai (which I was hoping for). A couple of scenes brought me back to the beautiful chemistry Algren and Tako had in that film and Logan and Tao shared that exact same chemistry. This isn't a superhero film by any means, it's a story about a man trying to find peace within himself all while being haunted by his past decisions. This film had heart, humor, tension and most of all beserker rage. Wolverine is absolutely ****ing insane in this movie, that's all I'm gona say. You have to see it to see the **** he does to these people, and there's BLOOD! Great acting all around, Rila Fukishima and Tao Okamoto were impressive as hell. and the rest of the cast goes without saying. This IS the definitive Wolverine film and it being set in Japan really made it unique.

One thing in this movie that I loved is that whenever Wolverine felt weak, the audience (at least I did) felt what Wolverine was going through. The way Mangold shot those scenes was very clever and when you see it you'll know what I mean, mainly the funeral scene. There is a lot I'm missing so I'm welcome to discussion, but not before I tread the waters of the films flaws..

So yeah, part of the third act was kind of like "Hey, in case you forgot this was a comic book film, here's your reminder!" but I thought they handled it well. It's really only like 5-10min where you're just like ... huh wtf where did this **** come from, but still, seeing Wolverine in action and in full blown berserker mode was intense as ****. Viper, oh Viper lol. She was truly beautiful but her voice was more ADR'd than Bane's during the plane heist lol. Not all the time though, only a few times in the movie I was kind of like.. why does she sound so American? Do I think this was the best superhero film of the summer? Yes, because by definition it is a superhero film.. Do I think this was one of the best movie's I've seen this summer season? Absolutely. It had all the characteristics of a great film and despite the shaky third act, it delivers on all ends.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:10 AM   #42
MagnarTheGreat
Side-Kick

I thought the credits intermission scene was kind of lame and not worth the hype I'd seen built up around it, for some reason I was expecting more.

Happy that

Silver Samurai wasn't just a robot. Best case scenario was Harada but Mangold went with the Identity twist. They even mislead you for a bit that it is just a robot by appearing to cutt off its head then I was starting to get a little mad because I wanted somebody in there...which there was.

I love the fights

particular with Wolverine and Shingen and the preceding fight with the Yukio

It was a very small nod to comic Yukio when

She and Wolverine get on the jet and she just wants to be around him. With the two year gap you can fill your imagination or fanfiction up with the possibilities.

I really liked Jackman in this.

Viper

seemed like her voice was all ADR. I'm guessing it is which is why the performance wasn't as strong. Liked the showdown with Wolverine and Yukio. She served as a good red herring of sorts.

Mariko was quite lovely though

the whole Jean continuity thing was getting in the way. We know it could never work out but she's a bit of a distraction. At least Wolverine finally moves on with his life, though it doesn't seem in complete continuity with the end of X:TLS Wolverine ending.

Wolverine's memories

I don't understand this. It works in context of the movie but not in the series...does it?

I might see this again next week. And looking forward to the blu-ray release.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:12 AM   #43
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Howlett View Post
why does she sound so American?
Yashida met her in America.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:13 AM   #44
MagnarTheGreat
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Howlett View Post
Quick thoughts, no spoilers..

From the beginning of the movie until the end of the bullet train sequence (maybe 35min in total) I was at the edge of my seat with my jaw on the floor. The way Mangold directed this movie was very, very impressive. The story, in my opinion was almost a carbon copy of The Last Samurai (which I was hoping for). A couple of scenes brought me back to the beautiful chemistry Algren and Tako had in that film and Logan and Tao shared that exact same chemistry. This isn't a superhero film by any means, it's a story about a man trying to find peace within himself all while being haunted by his past decisions. This film had heart, humor, tension and most of all beserker rage. Wolverine is absolutely ****ing insane in this movie, that's all I'm gona say. You have to see it to see the **** he does to these people, and there's BLOOD! Great acting all around, Rila Fukishima and Tao Okamoto were impressive as hell. and the rest of the cast goes without saying. This IS the definitive Wolverine film and it being set in Japan really made it unique.

One thing in this movie that I loved is that whenever Wolverine felt weak, the audience (at least I did) felt what Wolverine was going through. The way Mangold shot those scenes was very clever and when you see it you'll know what I mean, mainly the funeral scene. There is a lot I'm missing so I'm welcome to discussion, but not before I tread the waters of the films flaws..

So yeah, part of the third act was kind of like "Hey, in case you forgot this was a comic book film, here's your reminder!" but I thought they handled it well. It's really only like 5-10min where you're just like ... huh wtf where did this **** come from, but still, seeing Wolverine in action and in full blown berserker mode was intense as ****. Viper, oh Viper lol. She was truly beautiful but her voice was more ADR'd than Bane's during the plane heist lol. Not all the time though, only a few times in the movie I was kind of like.. why does she sound so American? Do I think this was the best superhero film of the summer? Yes, because by definition it is a superhero film.. Do I think this was one of the best movie's I've seen this summer season? Absolutely. It had all the characteristics of a great film and despite the shaky third act, it delivers on all ends.
Haha, yeah, Viper was total ADR. I just said that in my post too. I kind of enjoy the whack at the end. I'd considered that twist as a possibility especially the past couple of months.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:15 AM   #45
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnarTheGreat View Post
They even mislead you for a bit that it is just a robot by appearing to cutt off its head then I was starting to get a little mad because I wanted somebody in there...which there was.
Same here!!!

When Wolverine chopped off the head, I thought it was over and I was like where's Yashida??!!!

Old 07-26-2013, 12:24 AM   #46
J_Howlett
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yashida met her in America.
What I meant was the difference between the scenes where it was the actress speaking and obvious ADR to make her sound more American.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:26 AM   #47
MagnarTheGreat
Side-Kick

Quote:
Same here!!!

When Wolverine chopped off the head, I thought it was over and I was like where's Yashida??!!!
Yeah. At least the worst case scenario was avoided!

And while I'm on the subject, they do

drop hints early on that the old man wasn't dead, since Yukio says she didn't get a death premonition. A silly power, could have done without it, but it's a small complaint.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:26 AM   #48
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Haha, yeah, Viper was total ADR. I just said that in my post too. I kind of enjoy the whack at the end. I'd considered that twist as a possibility especially the past couple of months.
Well there was something odd with
With Yashida from the beginning, like finding Wolverine for months just so Wolverine would turn to a mortal person. Like as if Wolverine was asking for it. And he was also sick at that moment.

I sensed Yashida's shadyness right from the beginning.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:30 AM   #49
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Yeah. At least the worst case scenario was avoided!

And while I'm on the subject, they do

drop hints early on that the old man wasn't dead, since Yukio says she didn't get a death premonition. A silly power, could have done without it, but it's a small complaint.
I actually liked that
Yukio had her own mutant powers. Its not much, but it makes her more interesting.

I'm just wondering why they didn't told us she was a mutant too.

And anyone noticed that Wolverine, Yukio and Viper are the only ones that appeared in a group poster! The mutants of the film! Not counting Jean since she was dead.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:31 AM   #50
MagnarTheGreat
Side-Kick

Quote:
Well there was something odd with
With Yashida from the beginning, like finding Wolverine for months just so Wolverine would turn to a mortal person. Like as if Wolverine was asking for it. And he was also sick at that moment.

I sensed Yashida's shadyness right from the beginning.
And something else

The character poster. Yashida was the only one who appeared to not get a poster...but he did!

Closed Thread