The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > The Wolverine

View Poll Results: The best X-Men movie to date is...
X-Men 4 3.60%
X2: X-Men United 56 50.45%
X-Men: The Last Stand 1 0.90%
X-Men Origins: Wolverine 0 0%
X-Men: First Class 28 25.23%
The Wolverine 22 19.82%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-26-2013, 05:16 PM   #51
Paladin-Hoss
Side-Kick

Default Re: Its that time again to rank the X-Men movies!

Heh...funny you should say that. because the way things are shaping up right now, i'm slightly more excited about the X-universe than the marvel universe.

Paladin-Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:22 PM   #52
BlackFox
Name on the trophy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin-Hoss View Post
Heh...funny you should say that. because the way things are shaping up right now, i'm slightly more excited about the X-universe than the marvel universe.
True. The Marvel universe is good, it is entertaining in some capacity but it all feels so constricted because of all the links and continuity they dare not experiment.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:33 PM   #53
Paladin-Hoss
Side-Kick

It's not exactly that, those things doesn't bother me, but the X universe as of now got that underdog feel to it that makes you wanna root for them.

The fact that a lot of fans seems to gave up on this franchise and now it seems that it's slowly getting back to it's feet by doing new things makes it more exciting to watch...at least for me.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:35 PM   #54
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Get excited for both. Marvel Studios is doing something similar to what Fox is doing just on a bigger/flashier scale. Winter Soldier and The Dark Word are very adult oriented, much more than their first installments.

I'll leave it at this: It's only been 13 years since the modern age of superhero movies, when exploded in the early 2000s. Almost overnight studios were in a rush to one-up each other. SM3, FF, etc were all products of the demand of that time. Then Iron Man, Batman Begins and TDK rolled around and took a more mature look at the genre, but studios were still in the mindset of the early 2000s and didn't think that tone would encompass the entire genre. Now, as this decade rolls along, studios are understanding that audiences are overwhelmed with the bombardment of by-the-numbers superhero movies and aren't just going to be happy with seeing these characters on screen. WB, Sony, Fox, Marvel Studios.. they are all evolving their franchises but it takes time. It's been less than 15 years since X-Men came out.

That's probably why I don't go into any of these movies expecting perfection. The studios are still learning, and getting over the "but it's just a comic book" mentality. That being said I give tons of respect to both Fox and Marvel for actually looking at where they've gone wrong before and maturing their franchises along with their fanbases.

Joss Whedon's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is the cinematic equivalent of Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave with a bunch of scraps
Poni_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:37 PM   #55
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Also, I'm very glad Fox isn't trying to compete with Marvel/Disney in regards to merchandise tie-ins/toys for their new X-movies. That alone shows their focus is on a slightly older audience.

Joss Whedon's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is the cinematic equivalent of Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave with a bunch of scraps
Old 07-26-2013, 05:41 PM   #56
BlackFox
Name on the trophy?

Quote:
It's not exactly that, those things doesn't bother me, but the X universe as of now got that underdog feel to it that makes you wanna root for them.

The fact that a lot of fans seems to gave up on this franchise and now it seems that it's slowly getting back to it's feet by doing new things makes it more exciting to watch...at least for me.
I certainly agree with this sentiment, the character of Wolverine pretty much embodies that spirit too.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:41 PM   #57
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poni_Boy View Post
Also, I'm very glad Fox isn't trying to compete with Marvel/Disney in regards to merchandise tie-ins/toys for their new X-movies. That alone shows their focus is on a slightly older audience.
And I remember that we saw complaints that there weren't any major action figure/toys for this a few months ago. After seeing the movie, it's obvious this isn't a movie you release action figures for.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:44 PM   #58
Paladin-Hoss
Side-Kick

Oh don't worry! i am excited for both! Now seems to be a VERY good time to be a comic fanboy.

W're seeing things now that we've NEVER would've expected just a little over a decade ago. If somebody had told me just ten years ago that someday we would see an Avengers movie, a series of Marvel movies that would be connected to each other, in short, a cinematic version of the Marvel universe...i would never believe it.

The only dissapointment for me personally is DC. We got an excellent batman series, but for some reasons or another they're just seems unable to get the other properties right...

I would freakin'LOVE to see a proper Wonder Woman movie!

Old 07-26-2013, 05:48 PM   #59
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

So would this guy

Old 07-26-2013, 05:48 PM   #60
Paladin-Hoss
Side-Kick

Quote:
True. I think with Millar behiind these projects, we can expect to see exciting things in the future. Say what you will about that guy, but he always seems to have great ideas for every projects he's involved with

Old 07-26-2013, 05:51 PM   #61
BlackFox
Name on the trophy?

Quote:
Get excited for both. Marvel Studios is doing something similar to what Fox is doing just on a bigger/flashier scale. Winter Soldier and The Dark Word are very adult oriented, much more than their first installments.

I'll leave it at this: It's only been 13 years since the modern age of superhero movies, when exploded in the early 2000s. Almost overnight studios were in a rush to one-up each other. SM3, FF, etc were all products of the demand of that time. Then Iron Man, Batman Begins and TDK rolled around and took a more mature look at the genre, but studios were still in the mindset of the early 2000s and didn't think that tone would encompass the entire genre. Now, as this decade rolls along, studios are understanding that audiences are overwhelmed with the bombardment of by-the-numbers superhero movies and aren't just going to be happy with seeing these characters on screen. WB, Sony, Fox, Marvel Studios.. they are all evolving their franchises but it takes time. It's been less than 15 years since X-Men came out.

That's probably why I don't go into any of these movies expecting perfection. The studios are still learning, and getting over the "but it's just a comic book" mentality. That being said I give tons of respect to both Fox and Marvel for actually looking at where they've gone wrong before and maturing their franchises along with their fanbases.
Yeah I agree with much of what you say here, I understand not ALL comic book movies can be "adult" orientated as they have to make money and get young fans interested in their franchise, plus it would be boring if they were all that way inclined too but it is refreshing when something surprising and unique comes along like this, you feel their is hope for a decent Punisher or Daredevil one day.

I have felt a little jaded by what we have had this year, not saying IM3 or MoS were bad as such, but they just didnt work for me in the way I guess I had hoped. But then not everyone will agree from my perspective its not like TW has got rave reviews from everyone but at least it feels like they are learning and not just making films with one demographic in mind. It gives one hope for the future

And yeah I am sure I will still check out other offerings, there is nothing to say Cap2 will not be something unique and be better than DOFP or something else I expect to be great doesnt turn out that way. Maybe Thor 2 will blow me away.

Time will tell I guess but at least I have a little more faith than before.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:53 PM   #62
Paladin-Hoss
Side-Kick

Quote:
So would this guy

Haha..don't even go there !

The tought that CW might adapt Wonder Woman for their new tv series is ...well, got no words for it.

I also thought that WW is the one project that will allow DC to stop playing catch up with Marvel. It's the one thing Marvel doesn't really have...an iconic female comic book character.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:57 PM   #63
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
So would this guy

He definitelly knows how to write female heroes, but Wonder Woman is definitelly not the property for him

Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:01 PM   #64
Paladin-Hoss
Side-Kick

why

Old 07-26-2013, 06:10 PM   #65
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
why
He never really read Wonder Woman comics until he took the job, so when he was trying to write the script she didn't think WW had a good rogues gallery, didn't seem like a big fan of the mythos, so he wanted to use an originally created villain

Quote:
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Old 07-26-2013, 06:11 PM   #66
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

....and?

Old 07-26-2013, 06:18 PM   #67
Paladin-Hoss
Side-Kick

Quote:
He never really read Wonder Woman comics until he took the job, so when he was trying to write the script she didn't think WW had a good rogues gallery, didn't seem like a big fan of the mythos, so he wanted to use an originally created villain
I don't think Mangold ever really read all of Wolvie comics, and i don't think Snyder collected Supes comics as a child either...or Norrington when he directed Blade or Proyas when he directed the Crow

All of them did a pretty good job in my opinion

Old 07-26-2013, 06:19 PM   #68
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Reading comics before hand Isn't required.

I am sure Joss Whedon would have done a great job with wonder woman.

Joss did better job with cap and Thor In avengers than their solo films did.and did better job with iron man than Iron man 2 and 3 did.

I will admit i prefer Edward norton as Banner over mark Ruffalo.In part bcause TIH Is more comic banner than avengers was.And I hated the whole he's always angry sunt In avengers.I don't like banner having too much control over hulk.

He also did a lot more with Black widow than Iron Man 2 did.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:20 PM   #69
Golgo-13
Cadburys Creme Eggs

X2
The Wolverine and XFC
X1
X3
XOW

Old 07-26-2013, 06:21 PM   #70
marcvader
Lurker #1

1. Last Stand
2. Origins
3. Xmen
4. The Wolverine
5. First Class
6. X2

__________________#1 CBM of 2014____________________
Twitter- @mrpink13
HAIL HYDRA!
marcvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:21 PM   #71
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
I don't think Mangold ever really read all of Wolvie comics, and i don't think Snyder collected Supes comics as a child either...or Norrington when he directed Blade or Proyas when he directed the Crow

All of them did a pretty good job in my opinion
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
Reading comics before hand Isn't required.

I am sure Joss Whedon would have done a great job with wonder woman.

Joss did better job with cap and Thor In avengers than their solo films did.and did better job with iron man than Iron man 2 and 3 did.

I will admit i prefer Edward norton as Banner over mark Ruffalo.In part bcause TIH Is more comic banner than avengers was.And I hated the whole he's always angry sunt In avengers.I don't like banner having too much control over hulk.

He also did a lot more with Black widow than Iron Man 2 did.
The problem isn't having read the comics, the problem in my opinion is that he felt Wonder Woman didn't have any worthy villain to use and instead went with an original one.

Quote:
Old 07-26-2013, 06:22 PM   #72
Golgo-13
Cadburys Creme Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianakin_ View Post
I don't think XMOW screwed anything up. It was after XFC that things got iffy, continuity-wise. And even then, after X-DoFP, XFC will be more canon than the other movies.
I don't think anyone can say this; there are so many inconsistency created by XOW; the way he escapes the lab, the dog tags, sabertooth...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcvader View Post
1. Last Stand
2. Origins
3. Xmen
4. The Wolverine
5. First Class
6. X2
Sure that list isn't upside down there, buddy?

Old 07-26-2013, 06:25 PM   #73
Paladin-Hoss
Side-Kick

Quote:
The problem isn't having read the comics, the problem in my opinion is that he felt Wonder Woman didn't have any worthy villain to use and instead went with an original one.
Well...having Wheddon directed a WW movie seems like a btter option than having a WW tv series from CW IMO

Old 07-26-2013, 06:27 PM   #74
BlackFox
Name on the trophy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcvader View Post
1. Last Stand
2. Origins
3. Xmen
4. The Wolverine
5. First Class
6. X2
You think Origins is better than The Wolverine? Interesting.....

Old 07-26-2013, 06:28 PM   #75
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
That's a valid critism.

For wondr woman to last so long she has some good villains.

In Iron Man 3 had the real mandarian had been Ben Kingsly and It would have been said he was true mastermind of 10 rings,which was ignored in film,and was a villain bent for world domination some people would have been more happy.You would have been true to spirit of mandarian while ignoring the racist problems of mandarian and rings of alien origin.Instead of the hatchet job done.

And if you do wonder woman solo film In present day your making mistake.a 1940's setting is ideal.And you can't ignore the greek gods connection to WW.