The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > The Wolverine

Old 07-26-2013, 11:39 AM   #126
JerseyJoker
Side-Kick

Default Re: Is orgins still apart of the timeline now?

The use of bone claws were good ways to book end this film i thought. Showing where Logan came from pre-Weapon X and where is he going to be heading into DOFP.

The Jersey Critic (Latest Review: The Wolverine!)

Visit. Enjoy. Comment.
JerseyJoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:55 PM   #127
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

I would like to see Wolverine's bone claws in DOFP!

"Don't ever do that again" - X3
"They'll find us they'll always do" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:57 PM   #128
Spider-Vader
Groot and Branches

I think they can retcon Origins easily. Infact, it'd make the canon make more sense. I didn't see any references to it in The Wolverine; so were good.

Old 07-27-2013, 07:06 PM   #129
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
I would like to see Wolverine's bone claws in DOFP!
I don't see how they could work round that at this point. The bone claws were an interesting note in The Wolverine.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
The Infernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:43 AM   #130
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

People should REALLY prepare themselves for a total X-retcon next year.

Gianakin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:22 AM   #131
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

I'm scared for that!

"Don't ever do that again" - X3
"They'll find us they'll always do" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:29 AM   #132
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianakin_ View Post
People should REALLY prepare themselves for a total X-retcon next year.
Why? Nothing I've seen suggests anything of the sort.

Quote:
"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:42 AM   #133
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

It's far harder to retcon ceertain stuff by means of time travel. I mean, either they retcon jsut the Trask/Sentinel stuff and keep every existing X-movie intact (fine by me, after seeing TW), or they go for everything psot-70s-DoFP. To retcon just XMOW and X3 (and thus, TW, too) is... tricky.

Old 07-29-2013, 02:53 AM   #134
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Bryan Singer has already said several times that he will be 'fixing things'. I think it's safe to say that the time travel will be changing some of the things of X3 at the very least.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:55 AM   #135
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

I can wait and see. Actually, I can't, but you know what I mean.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:03 AM   #136
Nell2ThaIzzay
Johnny Russo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Vader View Post
I think they can retcon Origins easily. Infact, it'd make the canon make more sense. I didn't see any references to it in The Wolverine; so were good.
Well, Kayla for one.

X-Men Origins: Wolverine absolutely is part of the timeline. There's really no valid argument against it at this point.

Nell2ThaIzzay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:43 AM   #137
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Its weird the fixing things angle cause I wouldn't want him to change the end of X3 in terms of Logan killing Jean cause then it makes the Wolverine obselete really.

BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:03 AM   #138
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
Well, Kayla for one.

X-Men Origins: Wolverine absolutely is part of the timeline. There's really no valid argument against it at this point.
When did they reference Kayla?

Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:06 AM   #139
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Right before he wakes up, after being captured by the ninjas. We hear him in a flashback shouting "Kayla".

Old 07-29-2013, 06:16 AM   #140
Lord
All Mighty

Oh, then i guess this s*** is canon

Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:19 AM   #141
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

For now, yes. Everything's canon.

Old 07-29-2013, 06:46 AM   #142
MoPlaYa
Crazy Guy

Everything is canon until DOFP fixes a few things...lol

Old 07-29-2013, 06:55 AM   #143
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Precisely.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:07 PM   #144
Nell2ThaIzzay
Johnny Russo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
Oh, then i guess this s*** is canon

Yup.

Always was, always will be. There's no reason to believe otherwise.

I also doubt that Days of Future Past is going to go out of it's way to undo all the things the fanboys hate.

It would make no sense for them to go through with The Wolverine, which not only doesn't contradict X-Men: The Last Stand or X-Men Origins: Wolverine, but actually is specific in confirming them, all the while knowing that Days of Future Past was coming out in a year to undo it all.

There will be an explanation as to why Magneto has his powers and Xavier is alive, and I would imagine that will be the bulk of the "retconning".

The last 2 movies in the series have gone out of their way to confirm and connect to the previous movies - X-Men: First Class blatantly referencing the trilogy, particularly X-Men, and to a lesser extent X2 and X-Men: The Last Stand, while The Wolverine blatantly referenced and connected to X-Men: The Last Stand and made lots of references to X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

There would be no reason for them to spend 2 movies connecting to the rest of the series, even further establishing all the movies as interconnected, if they were planning on undoing it all with Days of Future Past.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:44 PM   #145
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

DoFP isn't going to undo everything fanboys hate, but it seems pretty clear from the director's own words that he will be changing a couple of things. He won't rewrite entire movies, but I can imagine one or two major things like Cyclops death may be undone in an alternative future (or however he chooses to address any changes).

Old 07-29-2013, 05:46 PM   #146
Nell2ThaIzzay
Johnny Russo

I would imagine that Singer's "fixing" comment is in regards to Xavier, Magneto, and possibly Rogue.

There's no actor even cast as Cyclops in the film, so I doubt they undo that. Unless Marsden and Famke have been secretly cast, I wouldn't expect much undoing outside of Xavier, Magneto, and Rogue.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:50 PM   #147
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

Singer's basically flat-out said that he's going to maintain at least SOME of the existing continuity, so completely tossing everything that happened from 1973 on - or tossing out just the events of O:W or TLS - isn't likely to happen.

What I do think is likely to happen is that he resurrects certain characters and offers an explanation for certain things that fans continue to complain about (Xavier walking), and makes some changes to the events of TLS so that they happened, but they happened in a slightly different way to what we saw.

Someone posted the following in a thread I started in the DoFP forums, and it's something that I not only think could very possibly happen, it also very much fits into what Singer's said about what he wants to do insofar as the timetravel and 'fixing some things' is concerned:

Quote:
2023: Failed Future. Wolverine fails. Everyone dies. Bishop and/or Blink somehow relays the information from this future to the past at some unknown time frame prior to TLS.

OT timeframe (implied but not seen in the trilogy): The information from Bishop/Blink is intercepted by Xavier, who begins Danger Room sequence training to prepare mutants for the Sentinels.

1973: Wolverine tries to stop Trask along with the rest of the X-Men, but it leads to Stryker discovering the power of Cerebro and going through with X-2. Sentinels are postponed but not entirely put of the picture.

2013: Wolverine is sent back to 1973 from the original timeline by Kitty and another mutant (possibly Xavier's twin). Xavier is already dead in this timeline. This is the twist of the movie. The time travel had already taken place.

DoFP (present day): We are in the altered timeline. Wolverine was successful preventing the war from escalating into the events of the OT. Magneto/Xavier end up working together in this new timeline after the events of X-2. Cyclops is alive as is Xavier. However, work remains to eliminate the Sentinels entirely. The plot also revolves around moving Wolverine back in time to complete the "time loop" to ensure he completes what is intended in the 1970's. However, in the new timeline, Kitty is injured, and they need Rogue to complete the loop.

In summary, this allows you to cut between both the past and present scenes, while maintaining the suspension of belief. The future is now unraveling before our eyes while we cut to what had taken place in the 1970's. So there will not be a separate "alternate" timeline. The timeline we see in the present will essentially be the "new" timeline where the changes have already happened, but more work remains. The original timeline will be a flashback, last minute reveal that bridges all the dead characters that have returned in the new timeline. That's what I predict...

Quote:
"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:51 PM   #148
BlackFox
Name on the trophy?

Is anyone else concerned that Logan is going to go back to being a pussy cat in DoFP as its tone is not likely going to be the same as The Wolverine.

After getting the character finally right I'm a bit concerned he's going to be neutered in Singers film.

Is he going to be able to make the transition back to a team player after a very different solo outing?

Old 07-29-2013, 06:23 PM   #149
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
I would imagine that Singer's "fixing" comment is in regards to Xavier, Magneto, and possibly Rogue.

There's no actor even cast as Cyclops in the film, so I doubt they undo that. Unless Marsden and Famke have been secretly cast, I wouldn't expect much undoing outside of Xavier, Magneto, and Rogue.
Technically Ratner already did the fixing with those characters. From what I've read about the Xavier scene at least it seemed like Ratner's attempt to save Xavier from that fate since he didn't seem to have the choice not to have Dark Phoenix vapourise him.

As for Rogue and Magneto. The cure was already shown not to have worked properly. Talking to my brother, who is a very casual viewer in my opinion, he was by no means surprised at seeing Magneto again and very quickly brought up the X3 scene with Magneto displaying some power at the end.

Aside from that. Singer by no means spells out what will be fixed. It really could be anything at this point. As far as Cyclops goes that is just part of my own speculation (though there is unconfirmed rumours of Marsden traveling with Halle Berry).

Old 07-30-2013, 10:45 AM   #150
Chaplin1914

Outside of Sabretooth, I'd say they could just ignore ORIGINS all together.

Chaplin1914 is offline   Reply With Quote