The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > The Wolverine

Old 07-26-2013, 10:46 PM   #1
Golgo-13
Cadburys Creme Eggs

Th Cool The Cure from X Men The Last Stand: mentioned in Wolverine...

It would have been nice if they had mentioned 'The Cure' from X3 at some point, seeing as how this takes place after that.

Logan wanted mortality...or so that was the theme of the movie; the cure from X3 would have made him mortal.

There could have been a scene where Yashida mentions that he was worried that Logan might have taken the cure before he got a chance to extract his abilities, or something..i think the film makers missed a great opportunity here as the two films tie into each other nicely...

Old 07-26-2013, 10:57 PM   #2
dru-zod2501
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Cure from X Men The Last Stand: mentioned in Wolverine...

I thought it was all but assured that the "cure" didn't work after all? At least a mention of its failure or partial success would really help I'm sure we'll get that next year

dru-zod2501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:00 PM   #3
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

I don't think Wolverine wanted mortality, he didn't even say yes to Yashida.

Yashida was just using Wolverine's loneliness so he could get Wolverine's healing powers.

"Once you cage the beast, the beast gets angry" - X3
"Patience isn't my strongest suit" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:01 PM   #4
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Wolverine didn't want to give up his healing power, and he didn't want to die. He had retreated because he didn't want to hurt anyone else again, and he thought he could do that by becoming a recluse and keeping himself from getting close to anyone again.

He flat-out refused Yashida's offer, so it's not what he wanted.

The cure doesn't work anyway, so there was no reason for him to seek it even if he wanted to.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:42 PM   #5
TWayneP
Side-Kick

The cure would have been useless to be mentioned in this movie. There was no need to even acknowledge it.

Logans healing factor makes him immune to the cure. "What i am...cant be undone."

TWayneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:08 AM   #6
cheungcheung
Side-Kick

the end credits scene showed very clearly that the cure didn't work...

cheungcheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:07 AM   #7
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by dru-zod2501 View Post
I thought it was all but assured that the "cure" didn't work after all? At least a mention of its failure or partial success would really help I'm sure we'll get that next year
Maybe, they could have put it in the scene where he's talking to Yashida on his "death" bed

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:50 AM   #8
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men

He didn't seem "too" freaked out by Mag's having his powers back so I just assumed that it was commonly known that it wasn't a permanent deal, hence why it want brought up.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:59 AM   #9
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheungcheung View Post
the end credits scene showed very clearly that the cure didn't work...
Yeah that's pretty spot on actually

I wonder if its one thing that does work for lower level mutants but not forever on class 5 mutants

Old 07-27-2013, 11:01 AM   #10
Golgo-13
Cadburys Creme Eggs

My thing is, the cure would have been big news around the time that The Wolverine takes placing seeing as how it takes place a mere year after X-Men 3. The fact that nobody so much as mentions it whether it worked on some, or failed across the board, is a missed opportunity in my opinion.

The Post credit is scene is really not part of The Wolverine, and takes place 3 years after X3, so by then, the fate of the cure would have been public knowledge to everyone including Wolverine, hence him not being surprised to see Magneto with his powers back.

Old 07-27-2013, 11:04 AM   #11
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golgo-13 View Post
My thing is, the cure would have been big news around the time that The Wolverine takes placing seeing as how it takes place a mere year after X-Men 3. The fact that nobody so much as mentions it whether it worked on some, or failed across the board, is a missed opportunity in my opinion.

The Post credit is scene is really not part of The Wolverine, and takes place 3 years after X3, so by then, the fate of the cure would have been public knowledge to everyone including Wolverine, hence him not being surprised to see Magneto with his powers back.
Maybe other than Jean's death they just wanted to stray away from X3 seen as though its not well liked unlike the first two X films or First Class.

Old 07-27-2013, 11:15 AM   #12
Golgo-13
Cadburys Creme Eggs

Well the post credit scene in Wolverine, seeing you know who back in his body, also confirms that X3 is still canon - even the post credit scene from X3 is now solidified- that many were claiming wasn't canon.

Old 07-27-2013, 11:17 AM   #13
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Well the post credit scene in Wolverine, seeing you know who back in his body, also confirms that X3 is still canon - even the post credit scene from X3 is now solidified- that many were claiming wasn't canon.
Ahh but that post credits scene in X3 doesn't show Xavier back in his own body it's a different one.

All I meant was they may have purposeful not stuck close the certain themes if X3 in order to distance themselves.

Old 07-27-2013, 11:21 AM   #14
Golgo-13
Cadburys Creme Eggs

Well the body is essentially his brain dead identical twin, no it's not his own body, but they look alike. If they are going with this in DOFP, i'm curious how they explain why his twins body is also paralyzed from the waist down.

Old 07-27-2013, 11:21 AM   #15
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

There's no reason to bring it up. Wolverine doesn't want a cure, and the person who wants his healing factor wants it for himself. It has nothing to do with the cure introduced in X3. There was no reason to bring it up.

Old 07-27-2013, 11:28 AM   #16
Golgo-13
Cadburys Creme Eggs

Yes, but Yashida, as mentioned, was obsessed with mutants. The cure would have been big news concerning mutants and world affairs, whether it worked or not around the events of The Wolverine. Considering Viper worked for him and she was a scientist mentioning it would have only been plausible.

Old 07-27-2013, 11:39 AM   #17
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

There's no reason to mention it. It had nothing to do with the story.

The cure would have taken away Logan's healing factor. It would be gone (if it worked) for good. Yashida didn't want Logan to take a cure to make his healing factor go away, he wanted Logan to give the healing factor to him so he wouldn't die.

Logan didn't want a cure. He wasn't looking for one, and where he has at the start of the film had nothing to do with the cure.

Old 07-27-2013, 12:15 PM   #18
Golgo-13
Cadburys Creme Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
There's no reason to mention it. It had nothing to do with the story.

The cure would have taken away Logan's healing factor. It would be gone (if it worked) for good. Yashida didn't want Logan to take a cure to make his healing factor go away, he wanted Logan to give the healing factor to him so he wouldn't die.

Logan didn't want a cure. He wasn't looking for one, and where he has at the start of the film had nothing to do with the cure.
That's exactly whey they should have mentioned the cure; they had been looking for Logan a year. The Wolverine takes place one year after the events of X3. That means they started looking for Logan around the time the cure was big news.

There's obviously a connection there.

The reason they probably start looking for him at that point and not sooner was because Yashida probably feared that he may loose the chance to get Logans powers because Yashida, at that point had no idea, if Logan had taken the cure or not and was scared he may have lost the opportunity to acquire his life long ambition of achieving immortality.

His search for Logan at that point was probably spurred on by the wide spread media coverage of mutants becoming human, thanks to the cure.

Old 07-27-2013, 12:27 PM   #19
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
That's exactly whey they should have mentioned the cure; they had been looking for Logan a year. The Wolverine takes place one year after the events of X3. That means they started looking for Logan around the time the cure was big news.

There's obviously a connection there.

The reason they probably start looking for him at that point and not sooner was because Yashida probably feared that he may loose the chance to get Logans powers because Yashida, at that point had no idea, if Logan had taken the cure or not and was scared he may have lost the opportunity to acquire his life long ambition of achieving immortality.

His search for Logan at that point was probably spurred on by the wide spread media coverage of mutants becoming human, thanks to the cure.

It has nothing to do with anything. Yashida was dying, they were looking for Logan because they'd found a way to extract his healing factor, and Yashida assumed Logan would be willing to give it up.

Whether their search was spurred on by the creation of the cure or not doesn't have any bearing on the events of the film. It's irrelevant to the story, and there was no reason to bring it up. The cure had nothing to do with what they ultimately wanted to do, or anything that happens for the rest of the film.

Old 07-27-2013, 12:46 PM   #20
Golgo-13
Cadburys Creme Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post

It has nothing to do with anything. Yashida was dying, they were looking for Logan because they'd found a way to extract his healing factor, and Yashida assumed Logan would be willing to give it up.

Whether their search was spurred on by the creation of the cure or not doesn't have any bearing on the events of the film. It's irrelevant to the story, and there was no reason to bring it up. The cure had nothing to do with what they ultimately wanted to do, or anything that happens for the rest of the film.

I get your point, or lack of one, but you're obviously missing mine.

Old 07-27-2013, 02:11 PM   #21
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Well the body is essentially his brain dead identical twin, no it's not his own body, but they look alike. If they are going with this in DOFP, i'm curious how they explain why his twins body is also paralyzed from the waist down.
Where did they say it was his identical twin? I really don't remember.

I might have Togo back and watch the 3rd one if they do mention that.

Old 07-27-2013, 02:17 PM   #22
Golgo-13
Cadburys Creme Eggs

They didn't. But it's X-Men canon that Charles had an identical twin, and because of Charles strong underlying mutant ability for mind control, etc, during fetal development,he unwittingly took his twins mental abilities thus leaving him brain dead.

Most people assume that's who is on the bed in -3

Old 07-27-2013, 02:27 PM   #23
jaymes_e06
Side-Kick

^True but it was also a girl. Were pretty much just guessing at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
The numbered jaymes is right!! :yay:
*\S/T*
jaymes_e06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:33 PM   #24
Raiden
What a bunch of...

Quote:
I don't understand why they still try to make X3 canon, to be frank; there was a real opportunity in The Wolverine and DOFP to at least ignore the events from X3, but instead they still acknowledge that train wreck of a movie. Seems to me that it is a bad decision-making from the creative team.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Raiden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:36 PM   #25
Golgo-13
Cadburys Creme Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymes_e06 View Post
^True but it was also a girl. Were pretty much just guessing at this point.