The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 07-27-2013, 05:54 PM   #51
def28
Side-Kick

Default Re: The #DOFP Buzz/Hype Thread [Net, Blogs, Statistics...]

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
That means the entire future of franchise Is resting on Days of future past.Fox Is spending 200 Million at least on DOFP.It domestic numbers aren't close to Man of steel's 285 Million
close to adjusted domestic takes for X2(282 Million) and Last Stand(283 Million) you can kiss expansion of universe goodbye.The wolverine underperforming may kill X-Force.
Cap doesn't need to make Avenger money...or Iron Man money....or Thor money to be a success. And The Wolverine doesn't need to compete with other X films, especially ones that are over a decade old. Times have changed alot. If The Wolverine walks away with profit, why would Fox not make more X films? Don't studios want money? X-Men and X spinnoffs are one their most valuable franchises. These films have to start connecting themselves better to stay fresh in the audiences head. Waiting 4-8 years for a sequel is not a gonna work for Fox. The fact Wolverine was released a year before DOFP with overall positive reaction is a good thing and will only help DOFP since it's lead is Jackman. Add all the other cast plus epic **** in DOFP and Memorial weekend is gonna be huge for X-Men.

Again, I think the most important thing is keeping the characters fresh in peoples heads with good movies. X-Men hans't done nearly as much as they should have with their characters. Especially the well known ones. Now is the time to do that, and you can not do it with one film every 3 years. Rogue, Gambit, Deadpool, Cyclops, Psylocke, Cable, Archangel, Apocaylpse, Nightcrawler etc need to start having their place here. Enough of this waiting bs. Its doing them no good, and that **** just doesn't work. Keep it moving with good characters and a larger world and the money will come.

FC and The Wolverine were a good NEW start that audiences enjoyed, and DOFP will be the film that fully kickstarts the world into high gear. Even with the same cast this franchise is really just starting over. Expect the major success post DOFP....if it's a good film.

Last edited by def28; 07-27-2013 at 07:06 PM.
def28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:20 PM   #52
Saitou Hajime
Side-Kick

Why are some people comparing Cap to Wolverine? Cap didn't have an established cinematic presence like Wolverine. Cap also wasn't the solo hero cornerstone of a franchise like Wolverine is. Wolverine should be compared to Iron Man, who needed and turned out to be a mega sucess and has been propping up the MCU ever since.

I'm really not seeing the hype for this beyond the fanboys or the Internet. Event movies like the kind this film aspires to be need more than a great concept, story, or cast to generate the necessary amount of hype, you also need a killer marketing campaign, something I don't think Fox can provide.

Saitou Hajime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:24 PM   #53
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saitou Hajime View Post
Why are some people comparing Cap to Wolverine? Cap didn't have an established cinematic presence like Wolverine. Cap also wasn't the solo hero cornerstone of a franchise like Wolverine is. Wolverine should be compared to Iron Man, who needed and turned out to be a mega sucess and has been propping up the MCU ever since.
But Cap rightly should have been.

I love the Marvel Studios films but Iron Man should not be front and center. That's Cap's job.

EnDz0n3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:25 PM   #54
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
I was using it as an example of a film that did not make as much as the others in a series of films. They are all a success and both have sequels. They wont stop making Cap or Wolverine films cause they didn't make as much as the higher grossing films in the MCU or Xverse. The films have to flat out bomb for them to stop studios from making them.

The negative overreaction to a possible Wolverine box office is ridiculous since the film could end up grossing three times its budget with world wide intake.

Last edited by def28; 07-27-2013 at 09:35 PM.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:08 PM   #55
Saitou Hajime
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
I was using it as an example of a film that did not make as much as the others in a series of films. They are all a success and both have sequels. They wont stop making Cap or Wolverine films cause they didn't make as much as the higher grossing films in the MCU or Xverse. The films have to flat out bomb for them to stop studios from making them.

The negative overreaction to a possible Wolverine box office is ridiculous since the film could end up grossing three times its budget with world wide intake.
If you have bolded the rest of my reply instead of that one sentence, then you would see I have already refuted your flawed premise. Cap's standard of success is different from Wolverine's, and his sequel opportunities weren't as tied to his own solo efforts' success as Wolverine's is. Unlike Cap, Wolverine is the face of the highest grossing films of his franchise, and so for his own solo efforts to underperform is not a good sign. Like I said, if Iron Man only grossed 50+ million on OW, 200 million overall domestically and 400 million WW, the franchise wouldn't have been so successful. Or if the sequels themselves have similarly underperformed despite the first film's huge success, that too would have cut the legs from underneath the Avengers or its sequel.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:21 PM   #56
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
If you have bolded the rest of my reply instead of that one sentence, then you would see I have already refuted your flawed premise. Cap's standard of success is different from Wolverine's, and his sequel opportunities weren't as tied to his own solo efforts' success as Wolverine's is. Unlike Cap, Wolverine is the face of the highest grossing films of his franchise, and so for his own solo efforts to underperform is not a good sign. Like I said, if Iron Man only grossed 50+ million on OW, 200 million overall domestically and 400 million WW, the franchise wouldn't have been so successful. Or if the sequels themselves have similarly underperformed despite the first film's huge success, that too would have cut the legs from underneath the Avengers or its sequel.
Im not trying to get into any of that, thats why I did not bold the rest of your quote. I was strictly comparing the lowest grossing entry of a series, and how that does not exactly mean its a flop. I could have used any of the lowest grossing film in a Solo/sequel/spinnoff or whatever the hell in a franchise that still had successful numbers. Im not trying to point out any distinct similarities in bringing Wolverine, Iron Man or Cap to the screen or their success.

My point was comparing films box office is ********, when they still are making the studio's decent profit. Thats it. If I didn't make that clear I apologize.

Last edited by def28; 07-27-2013 at 10:37 PM.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:39 PM   #57
Saitou Hajime
Side-Kick

Quote:
Im not trying to get into any of that, thats why I did not bold the rest of your quote. I was strictly comparing the lowest grossing entry of a series, and how that does not exactly mean its a flop. I could have used any of the lowest grossing film in a Solo/sequel/spinnoff or whatever the hell in a franchise that still had successful numbers. Im not trying to point out any distinct similarities in bringing Wolverine, Iron Man or Cap to the screen or their success.

My point was comparing films box office is ********, when they still are making the studio's decent profit. Thats it. If I didn't make that clear I apologize.
But as I've said, context is important when making these comparisons, otherwise it's just pointless.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:49 PM   #58
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
But as I've said, context is important when making these comparisons, otherwise it's just pointless.
Sure, but Agree to disagree here. What you were trying to debate was not my point.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:55 PM   #59
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnDz0n3 View Post
Let's hope The Wolverine is Batman Begins to Days of Future Past's The Dark Knight.

(Very disappointing numbers for TW )
I agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars123 View Post
A non comic book movie statistic.....

Judi dench won a Oscar for 8 minutes of screen time.....

With good acting anything can happen even for the smallest of times on screen!
Well with that, lets hope Halle Berry gets her 2nd Oscar win with her moving performance in DOFP!

"Don't ever do that again" - X3
"They'll find us they'll always do" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:58 PM   #60
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
The wolverine underperforming may kill X-Force.
I think it will.

Like I said, its time for FOX to continue releasing films with the original cast.

Old 07-27-2013, 11:36 PM   #61
Saitou Hajime
Side-Kick

Quote:
Sure, but Agree to disagree here. What you were trying to debate was not my point.
You equated Wolverine to Cap as a lowest earning entry in a franchise that isn't considered a flop, while ignoring WHY Cap isn't considered a flop despite being the lowest earning entry in his franchise, and why the same reasons can't be applied to Wolverine. So it isn't so much I'm not debating your point, just that added missing context to your premise that invalidates it.

Old 07-27-2013, 11:49 PM   #62
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
You equated Wolverine to Cap as a lowest earning entry in a franchise that isn't considered a flop, while ignoring WHY Cap isn't considered a flop despite being the lowest earning entry in his franchise,and why the same reasons can't be applied to Wolverine. So it isn't so much I'm not debating your point, just that added missing context to your premise that invalidates it.
So you weren't debating but your trying to add info that invalidates it hahaha? Look that word up in the dictionary and Im pretty sure you will see the word argument not far off. Look, I really dont care . I repeated what I really meant over and over. So if it was a horrible example then my bad.

Old 07-28-2013, 12:13 AM   #63
Saitou Hajime
Side-Kick

Quote:
So you weren't debating but your trying to add info that invalidates it hahaha? Look that word up in the dictionary and Im pretty sure you will see the word argument not far off. Look, I really dont care . I repeated what I really meant over and over. So if it was a horrible example then my bad.
Your reading comprehension is off. I wasn't "not debating", I was answering your assertion that I wasn't debating your point in that yes, I AM debating your point by adding missing context that invalidates it.

Old 07-28-2013, 12:24 AM   #64
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
I wasn't "not debating", I was answering your assertion that I wasn't debating your point in that yes, I AM debating your point by adding missing context that invalidates it.
You sure about that Cap?

...and here I thought you were not debating about debating while validating my original point.

Last edited by def28; 07-28-2013 at 12:37 AM.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:59 AM   #65
Saitou Hajime
Side-Kick

Quote:
You sure about that Cap?

...and here I thought you were not debating about debating while validating my original point.
... That doesn't sound like the least bit what I was doing.

Old 07-28-2013, 02:22 AM   #66
PoSeiDon
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnDz0n3 View Post
But Cap rightly should have been.

I love the Marvel Studios films but Iron Man should not be front and center. That's Cap's job.

I call that the Wolverine Syndrome, not exclusive to Fox.

PoSeiDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:27 PM   #67
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

#8 in IMDB

http://pro.imdb.com/moviemeter/?d=tt_moviemeter_why

Old 08-01-2013, 06:41 AM   #68
NanaT
X-Men United!

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
I agree!

Well with that, lets hope Halle Berry gets her 2nd Oscar win with her moving performance in DOFP!
Likelihood of that is an absolute zero. In fact best case scenario is she gets an oscar nomination. Actually that's stretching it, best case scenario is if she wins an MTV award for favorite female butt kicker.

- PROFESSOR CHARLES XAVIER
NanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:18 PM   #69
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

^Her next award could be an Emmy for her performace in the upcoming summer show Extant. Though I think that show will air around May or June and Emmy will happen in September.

By the way, DOFP is #23 in IMDb and I'm expecting a big increase for the buzz of DOFP today/this week!