The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Old 07-29-2013, 03:13 PM   #201
ctsketch
Side-Kick

Default Re: Robert Redford offically joins Cap:TWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Marvel View Post
Maybe Cap 2 has no actual villain. The cast and crew keep putting emphasis on the fact that "nothing is black or white" so maybe there isn't a villain and TWS, Crossbones and possibly Aleksander Pierce are antagonists.
SOMEONE has to be leading WS and his crew

ctsketch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:31 PM   #202
Mr. Dent
Banned User

there is definitely a villain and they're being partially misleading with the black and white thing.

Mr. Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:46 PM   #203
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
there is definitely a villain and they're being partially misleading with the black and white thing.
How?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
SOMEONE has to be leading WS and his crew
Might not be a villain. I'm just speculating anyway.

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier 9.5 2. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5 3. X-Men: Days of Future Past 9 4. Guardians of the Galaxy 9.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne78 View Post
But Captain America: The Winter Soldier wins. Everything. My first born son, even. It's the unicorn of the MCU.
Ms. Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:09 PM   #204
ctsketch
Side-Kick

Quote:
How?

Might not be a villain. I'm just speculating anyway.
ehhh then who is it?

Old 07-29-2013, 04:20 PM   #205
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:
ehhh then who is it?
I'm just differentiating between a villain and an antagonist (even if you don't see a difference). Because people are speculating that Robert Redford is somebody from the comics like RS or Lukin or Zemo. I suggested that maybe he's just Aleksander Pierce and he uses his power for morally ambiguous purposes (which may involve TWS). He doesn't necessarily have to be a supervillain.

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier 9.5 2. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5 3. X-Men: Days of Future Past 9 4. Guardians of the Galaxy 9.5

Quote:
But Captain America: The Winter Soldier wins. Everything. My first born son, even. It's the unicorn of the MCU.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:28 PM   #206
ctsketch
Side-Kick

I wasn't making that distinction, but with that distinction in mind I agree that it's a possibility..

He could create TWS to meet some end he will try and justify

Old 07-30-2013, 02:25 PM   #207
Destructus86
Side-Kick

He's the red skull!!

Old 07-30-2013, 06:08 PM   #208
Farren
Side Kicker

Quote:
I'm just differentiating between a villain and an antagonist (even if you don't see a difference). Because people are speculating that Robert Redford is somebody from the comics like RS or Lukin or Zemo. I suggested that maybe he's just Aleksander Pierce and he uses his power for morally ambiguous purposes (which may involve TWS). He doesn't necessarily have to be a supervillain.
IA that Redford could be an antagonist as opposed to a villain.

But I also think there is going to be a villain, RR or not. Not having a tangible villain is way too risky, especially for a superhero movie. I think Marvel will play this safe and give us someone concrete to root against, although hopefully we'll get some twists along the way.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:18 PM   #209
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farren View Post
IA that Redford could be an antagonist as opposed to a villain.

But I also think there is going to be a villain, RR or not. Not having a tangible villain is way too risky, especially for a superhero movie. I think Marvel will play this safe and give us someone concrete to root against, although hopefully we'll get some twists along the way.
So? People always complain that Marvel plays it too safe. Plus I'm afraid the movie may be too bloated.

Quote:
Old 07-30-2013, 06:29 PM   #210
Farren
Side Kicker

Quote:
So? People always complain that Marvel plays it too safe. Plus I'm afraid the movie may be too bloated.
Well, that's my point. They do play it safe. It's served them well so far. I don't think they're going to change that.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:33 PM   #211
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Well, that's my point. They do play it safe. It's served them well so far. I don't think they're going to change that.
IM3 didn't, and it didn't affect the box office.

Quote:
Old 07-30-2013, 08:37 PM   #212
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:

For that to work, Pierce would've had to have been involved in the recovery of Bucky's body in 1945.

Whoever "made" Winter Soldier made him, or at least started making him, immediately after his apparent death in the train attack. Unlike Cap, Bucky didn't have the luxury of laying around like a Capsicle waiting for somebody to thaw him out.

And again, that points to the most likely suspect(s) being HYDRA, since Bucky went down behind enemy lines in HYDRA territory. Plus, they were the ones who had been experimenting on him a few years prior.

Winter Soldier is HYDRA's toy.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:57 PM   #213
Farren
Side Kicker

Quote:
Quote:
A fair point. I don't discount the possibility of a less tangible villain. I just think it's a lot less likely. On that point we may just have to agree to disagree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
And again, that points to the most likely suspect(s) being HYDRA, since Bucky went down behind enemy lines in HYDRA territory. Plus, they were the ones who had been experimenting on him a few years prior.

Much as I would like to see a Russian angle, these are very good points.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:14 AM   #214
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
A fair point. I don't discount the possibility of a less tangible villain. I just think it's a lot less likely. On that point we may just have to agree to disagree.

Much as I would like to see a Russian angle, these are very good points.
Well, even with HYDRA pulling Bucky's strings, I still wouldn't rule out a Soviet connection. After WWII, any remnants of HYDRA would've needed a new fascist nation in which to flourish, and Stalin/Khruschev's Russia seems a suitable place for them to regroup. Plus, WS still has that red star on his arm.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:34 AM   #215
Farren
Side Kicker

Quote:
Well, even with HYDRA pulling Bucky's strings, I still wouldn't rule out a Soviet connection. After WWII, any remnants of HYDRA would've needed a new fascist nation in which to flourish, and Stalin/Khruschev's Russia seems a suitable place for them to regroup. Plus, WS still has that red star on his arm.
I've been wondering that too. HYDRA may have done the initial work, but a lot can happen in 60+ years of political upheaval. I wonder if it might have fragmented and/or shifted it's alliances.

Plus, even in the comics, Luskin was selling off the goodies in his Soviet cache that he inherited (IIRC Red Skull wanted to buy WS but Lukin's pricetag was too high), so I think it's possible WS has been passed around.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:46 AM   #216
HUMANIMAL

Quote:
For that to work, Pierce would've had to have been involved in the recovery of Bucky's body in 1945.

Whoever "made" Winter Soldier made him, or at least started making him, immediately after his apparent death in the train attack. Unlike Cap, Bucky didn't have the luxury of laying around like a Capsicle waiting for somebody to thaw him out.

one answer only....arnim zola

MY FANART AND MANIPS
HUMANIMAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:49 AM   #217
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

I kind of hope that Redford's character isn't the Red Skull in some format since I want Steve to have other major villains to contend with that isn't the Red skull.

herolee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:38 AM   #218
Farren
Side Kicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMANIMAL View Post
Movie!Zola doesn't strike me as ambitious enough to be masterminding anything.

Old 07-31-2013, 03:31 AM   #219
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMANIMAL View Post
Quote:
Movie!Zola doesn't strike me as ambitious enough to be masterminding anything.
Consider this about Zola: Not only was he the person conducting experiments on Bucky in that Hydra base, he was also on the train when Bucky fell so he knew exactly where to find the soldier. We have to assume that Zola somehow either escaped Allied custody after the war or was released and then hooked up with fragments of HYDRA and recovered Bucky. Perhaps Zola was able to communicate with his HYDRA contacts even while he was in custody and had Bucky hidden away until he could get out. Then he could have taken control of the Winter Soldier and done whatever he wanted with him.

As far as Pierce is concerned, I'm willing to bet that he's either a HYDRA commander or Soviet agent who infiltrated SHIELD years ago, possibly by killing the real Pierce and taking his place.

xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:57 AM   #220
ctsketch
Side-Kick

Quote:
Killian was most certainly a tangible villain. He wasn't some misunderstood guy.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:14 AM   #221
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
Consider this about Zola: Not only was he the person conducting experiments on Bucky in that Hydra base, he was also on the train when Bucky fell so he knew exactly where to find the soldier. We have to assume that Zola somehow either escaped Allied custody after the war or was released and then hooked up with fragments of HYDRA and recovered Bucky. Perhaps Zola was able to communicate with his HYDRA contacts even while he was in custody and had Bucky hidden away until he could get out. Then he could have taken control of the Winter Soldier and done whatever he wanted with him.

As far as Pierce is concerned, I'm willing to bet that he's either a HYDRA commander or Soviet agent who infiltrated SHIELD years ago, possibly by killing the real Pierce and taking his place.
Bingo! We have a winner.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:47 AM   #222
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Killian was most certainly a tangible villain. He wasn't some misunderstood guy.
I was talking about "playing it safe" - IM3 did not play it safe.

Quote:
Old 07-31-2013, 08:59 AM   #223
divan
Side-Kick

Zola didn't look like someone who takes the initiative. If the Winter Soldier is indeed his work, it's probably because someone else (either HYDRA remnants or the Soviets) ordered him to do it.

divan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:10 AM   #224
ctsketch
Side-Kick

Quote:
I was talking about "playing it safe" - IM3 did not play it safe.

gotcha

Old 07-31-2013, 10:10 AM   #225
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by divan View Post
Zola didn't look like someone who takes the initiative. If the Winter Soldier is indeed his work, it's probably because someone else (either HYDRA remnants or the Soviets) ordered him to do it.
Granted, WWII-era Zola looked like just a flunky for Red Skull. But a lot happens to him by the end of that movie, and undoubtedly, a lot happens to him in the years leading up to present day. He's probably got motivation now to change.

The way I look at it is that Arnim Zola was a mad genius before WWII, and Red Skull bullied him into being his *****. Zola dutifully mass-produced a whole arsenal of extremely advanced weaponry for him until his capture by the SSR. Now that Skull is gone, and assuming Zola escapes/defects or whatever from the US, he's now free to be the mad scientist he always wanted to be.