The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

Old 07-30-2013, 01:06 PM   #101
Green Goblin
Not the Hobgoblin!

Default Re: Overrated Comic Book Films

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahran Ramsus View Post
That's what is supposed to happen, but in ASM he's a dick until the very end of the movie. He learned nothing from Ben dying. Even at the end he puts his own selfish desires (get some action) over doing what's right (honoring his promises to a dying man and keeping the girl he loves safe from harm). There is nothing in ASM to suggest he changed at all.

It would be like if in Iron Man at the end of the movie Tony decides to start making weapons and sells them to the Army again.
I see your point. The reason they did this is because it happened in the comics, yes Peter broke it in 616 anyway. It's so Peter is to blame for her death so as it happened in the comics it's fine to not like it but it wasn't out of character. Did Peter not do the same thing in SM2? This is like the argument if supes killing Zod, that happened in the comics and in Superman 2

Old 07-30-2013, 01:25 PM   #102
Green Goblin
Not the Hobgoblin!

I gave TDKR a 7/10. Granted I didn't like into my first viewing. A good film that is a step down from the great BB and the Ledgendary TDK. In my opinion it's by far the best 3rd entery. People here nitpick it to death but always comes 2nd in the TDKT polls even if you forget Anno jinxing it with his 5 accounts.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:05 PM   #103
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlueWonder View Post
I see your point. The reason they did this is because it happened in the comics, yes Peter broke it in 616 anyway. It's so Peter is to blame for her death so as it happened in the comics it's fine to not like it but it wasn't out of character. Did Peter not do the same thing in SM2? This is like the argument if supes killing Zod, that happened in the comics and in Superman 2
It was completely different. In the comics Peter and Gwen became estranged for quite some time. In the Raimi films the promise was with Norman and he did keep true to it. Harry found out because Ock knocked him out. With regards to MJ he tried to stay away from her all the way through the second film regardless of his own feelings and it was eventually her that made the choice.

In ASM he just brushes it off like it was nothing.

Kahran Ramsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:05 PM   #104
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
I gave TDKR a 7/10. Granted I didn't like into my first viewing. A good film that is a step down from the great BB and the Ledgendary TDK. In my opinion it's by far the best 3rd entery. People here nitpick it to death but always comes 2nd in the TDKT polls even if you forget Anno jinxing it with his 5 accounts.
You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but some people have serious concerns with that film that go beyond "nitpicking".

If someone likes the film fine, I just hate the hypocrisy that for the same things people ragged on Spider-man 3 about, TDKR had some of the same issues.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:32 PM   #105
Green Goblin
Not the Hobgoblin!

Quote:
It was completely different. In the comics Peter and Gwen became estranged for quite some time. In the Raimi films the promise was with Norman and he did keep true to it. Harry found out because Ock knocked him out. With regards to MJ he tried to stay away from her all the way through the second film regardless of his own feelings and it was eventually her that made the choice.

In ASM he just brushes it off like it was nothing.
Good point, though it was Gwen's choice too. Did you want another film where Peter and the Girl are seperated? I don't think that if he went back with her in the 2nd film it would be like SM2 and when she does die it would not be partly his fault

Old 07-30-2013, 03:33 PM   #106
Green Goblin
Not the Hobgoblin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but some people have serious concerns with that film that go beyond "nitpicking".

If someone likes the film fine, I just hate the hypocrisy that for the same things people ragged on Spider-man 3 about, TDKR had some of the same issues.
Are you saying TDKR is Spider-Man 3 bad? You know my opinion of IM3 but I wouldn't say it was SM3 bad... After a 2nd viewing anyway

Old 07-30-2013, 04:50 PM   #107
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Are you saying TDKR is Spider-Man 3 bad? You know my opinion of IM3 but I wouldn't say it was SM3 bad... After a 2nd viewing anyway
Yes, he is and you will never convince him otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne78 View Post
But Captain America: The Winter Soldier wins. Everything. My first born son, even. It's the unicorn of the MCU.
Ms. Marvel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:04 PM   #108
Green Goblin
Not the Hobgoblin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Marvel View Post
Eh, I don't like the film THAT much so I grow tired of defending it on these boards. I don't have the energy lol

Old 07-30-2013, 05:32 PM   #109
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Eh, I don't like the film THAT much so I grow tired of defending it on these boards. I don't have the energy lol
There's no need to defend it. Everyone's entitled to their opinion. It just gets irritating when people say things like, "how can you like TDKR and not like SM3?", "people only like the movie because TDK was great" and "you guys are kidding yourselves". Plus, TDKR isn't rated THAT highly on these boards or among the fan community. Among the GA, perhaps.

Quote:
But Captain America: The Winter Soldier wins. Everything. My first born son, even. It's the unicorn of the MCU.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:35 PM   #110
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Avengers.

Most overated movie ever.

It was entertaining and fun but empty of story, emotion, character development, tension and drama.

A film without them is no where near the best ever which people claims.

--

The Dark Knight

Very good movie, excellent pacing and acting and so forth, but a poor Batman movie. Begins was better as it sold Gotham and the fear element of Batman.

CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:37 PM   #111
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Quote:
That's what is supposed to happen, but in ASM he's a dick until the very end of the movie. He learned nothing from Ben dying. Even at the end he puts his own selfish desires (get some action) over doing what's right (honoring his promises to a dying man and keeping the girl he loves safe from harm). There is nothing in ASM to suggest he changed at all.

It would be like if in Iron Man at the end of the movie Tony decides to start making weapons and sells them to the Army again.
You must not have paid attention.

He made a promise he didn't want to make because the man was dying, what would any of us do.

Then he kept the promise.

He stayed away from Gwen even so far as not going to to her Dad's funeral, he only decided to break the promise because of what Aunt May said to him. She said he deserves to be happy. After this key scene is when he decided to break the promise and see Gwen again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
Yep, that's how I saw it as well, Peter was a douche until the death of his uncle and the talk with Captain Stacy over dinner. Peter is SUPPOSED to be douche.
Yep the dinner is the turning point for his character

CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:40 PM   #112
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
No I'm saying it suffers some of the same problems. Horrible writing, treating the audience like idiots, and just some really bad acting performances.

TDKR didn't go the route of disco dancing and emo Bruce, which puts it above SM3. That's not saying much either.

Old 07-30-2013, 05:42 PM   #113
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
There's no need to defend it. Everyone's entitled to their opinion. It just gets irritating when people say things like, "how can you like TDKR and not like SM3?", "people only like the movie because TDK was great" and "you guys are kidding yourselves". Plus, TDKR isn't rated THAT highly on these boards or among the fan community. Among the GA, perhaps.
That is not at all what I said. What I said was TDKR suffers from some of the same problems that Spider-man 3 suffered. Even I like TDKR better than Spider-man 3, but mostly due to the fact that I've grown to loath Toby Maguire's performance as Spider-man. I wonder what those films would have been if James Franco were cast as Peter.

Old 07-30-2013, 05:43 PM   #114
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:
No I'm saying it suffers some of the same problems. Horrible writing, treating the audience like idiots, and just some really bad acting performances.

TDKR didn't go the route of disco dancing and emo Bruce, which puts it above SM3. That's not saying much either.
Well I disagree. Seeing as how those points are subjective, it's not really fair to call people hypocrites for liking TDKR but not SM3.

Quote:
Old 07-30-2013, 05:43 PM   #115
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
Glad to know that you seem to be some kind of expert on what I think, even when I never said anything of the sort.

Old 07-30-2013, 05:47 PM   #116
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Glad to know that you seem to be some kind of expert on what I think, even when I never said anything of the sort.
Quote:
To me TDKR is just as bad and laughable as SM3.
I got this from the other thread.

Quote:
Old 07-30-2013, 05:58 PM   #117
Thoix
Side-Kick

Quote:

I don't recall any horrible writing in the slightest, it certainly didn't treat the audience like idiots (and how?), and there wasn't a single bad performance in the film. Sure, Marion as Talia wasn't very good, but she certainly wasn't bad.

Thoix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:03 PM   #118
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoix View Post
I don't recall any horrible writing in the slightest, it certainly didn't treat the audience like idiots (and how?), and there wasn't a single bad performance in the film. Sure, Marion as Talia wasn't very good, but she certainly wasn't bad.
She didn't really bother me, until her death scene. The rest of her performance was decent.

Quote:
Old 07-30-2013, 06:08 PM   #119
Thoix
Side-Kick

Quote:
She didn't really bother me, until her death scene. The rest of her performance was decent.
I agree, mainly because of her dying gasp just seemed awful. And while her performance was not on par with everyone else, she still did fine job overall. Everyone else in the film did a great job though.

Thoix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:09 PM   #120
Victarion
The Iron Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotham's Knight View Post
The Avengers
Spider-man 1
Spider-man 2
Batman 89
These for me as well.

Victarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:11 PM   #121
Green Goblin
Not the Hobgoblin!

Quote:
That is not at all what I said. What I said was TDKR suffers from some of the same problems that Spider-man 3 suffered. Even I like TDKR better than Spider-man 3, but mostly due to the fact that I've grown to loath Toby Maguire's performance as Spider-man. I wonder what those films would have been if James Franco were cast as Peter.
Glad to see you gave TDKR some dignity. I liked Tobey, he was a good 616 early days Parker in SM1. It was in the sequels that they did OK but this is a debate for another day. The biggest disappointment was the spider-man character (outside of 1 he had barly any quips) If the first amazing and the trailer for the 2nd are any indication, Garfield will have nailed spidey. To end on a positive note, I hope we get a Spider-Man/Avengers cross-over for TA3 if done right!

Old 07-30-2013, 06:24 PM   #122
scatterax
Presented in Technicolor

Super man 1 and 2. Even Donner's 2.

Spider-man 1.

Kick-Ass

Batman returns.

1) The Avengers, 2) The Dark Knight, 3)Captain America:The Winter Soldier, 4) The Dark Knight Rises, 5) The Incredible Hulk, 6) Scott Pilgrim vs The World,7) X-Men:FirstClass,8) Thor, 9) Thor:The Dark World, 10) Spider-Man 2,
scatterax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:48 PM   #123
Green Goblin
Not the Hobgoblin!

Spider-Man 1 was a film people have disliked over the years

Old 07-30-2013, 10:05 PM   #124
dude love
Pissin fire is awesome!

I suppose this thread begins and ends with The Dark Knight. I have my problems with the film, but even objectively speaking the comparisons to Heat and The Godfather where idiotic.

I'd also like to add Scott Pilgrim vs. The World. It was an unfunny mess of pop culture references and pseudo cool.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:45 PM   #125
lordofthenerds
Not a Goddamn Side-Kick

The Avengers. It was fun, but not the masterpiece many make it out to be.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!: