Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 12:04 PM   #26
Angamb
Banned User

Default Re: DOFP vs other 2014 ComicsMovies Thread [Buzz, BoxOffice and more]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
It's always silly when people use the "no one cares or knows" argument. No one cares about these films until they see them. And afterwards there's revisionist history where apparently everyone has always been a fan.
great point. Fans use that argument to put down others arguments.

But at the end of the day, general audience go to see these movies because they LIKE the main character (either Spiderman, Batman, X-Men or Avengers).

If the trailers look pretty cool, epic, fun and all... the audience will support, whoever is the villain, lol.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:06 PM   #27
Fervid09
Side-Kick

DOFP is doing a good job with its marketing so far, and other than the appeal of its excellent cast old and new, I think it might do better in the box office than we all expect, with one of the reasons being: the new fanbase revolving Charles/Erik relationship.

We all have our ideas about their frenemies status, but the fact of the matter is that XM:FC did a great job focusing on their bro moments and the chemistry between Fassbender and McAvoy brought a lot of people into a frenzy. They're all over Twitter and Tumblr. Fanmade YouTube videos dedicated to Charles/Erik, Fassbender/McAvoy have hundred thousand views. They're pretty serious about it. I know some people who barely knew anything about the X-men before they saw First Class immediately went to go download/buy/rent the first three movies and cartoons just to see the interactions between Professor X and Magneto and understand more from their relationship. And when they heard that DOFP will feature both versions of the characters, needless to say that they can't wait to see this movie. I even heard of some people going into the Wolverine movie just to see the post-credits scene, lol.

Admittedly, it's not something that will make DOFP the highest grossing film of all time, but never underestimate the power of obsessed slash fangirls, lol.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:12 PM   #28
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

TASM2 doesn't have Ice Age 4 or TDKR comming out after 1 or 2 1/2 weeks after release

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
I'm not a fanboy, I'm just an entusiastic Spider-Man fan...
Avvy by OriginalMiles
Old 07-31-2013, 12:14 PM   #29
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post
Last I checked Spider-Man was an incredibly popular movie that broke the opening weekend and was the zeitgeist film of its year. Didn't matter who the villain in the sequel was. It was going to break bank. It did.

The Amazing Spider-Man wasn't exactly as well received. Very much a middle-of-the-road reaction. Some loved it. Some hated it. Most thought it was OK and moved on. Quite different circumstances this time.
Exactly.Spider-man was called the star wars of comic book films before the dark knight and avengers.And even SPider-man 2 while a huge blockbuster still
grossed less than Spider-man.And SPider-man 2 Is called one of best comic book films of all time.People had much more meh attitude to amazing spider-man.Amazing spider-man Is only spider-man film to fail to gross 300 domesticly.Even Internation while Box office numbers appear higher than 1 or 2,remember unlike domesticly we can't get inflation numbers,Spider-man 3 did better overseas than ASM.

The GA already like amazing spder-man less than Rami trilogy.In many people's minds they viewed rebooting spider-man as unnecssary or being done way too soon.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:17 PM   #30
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post

The GA already like amazing spder-man less than Rami trilogy.In many people's minds they viewed rebooting spider-man as unnecssary or being done way too soon.
From what i seen many prefer TASM (including me), infact i was surprised when i see just how many people prefer it

there will obviously be some dislike, but many disliked raimis also film (including me), so i am confident spider-man will be ok and so are sony since they already set dates for 3 & 4

Old 07-31-2013, 12:25 PM   #31
Angamb
Banned User

I preffer AS too. Never was a fan of Raimi trilogy. never.

Spiderman is a huge popular character worldwide, so those understimating the sequel will end surprised.

Just because "some people" didnt like AS1 it doesnt mean the world will react WORSE with the sequel, now that the audience is more familiar with the two leads.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:26 PM   #32
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

Quote:
Exactly.Spider-man was called the star wars of comic book films before the dark knight and avengers.And even SPider-man 2 while a huge blockbuster still
grossed less than Spider-man.And SPider-man 2 Is called one of best comic book films of all time.People had much more meh attitude to amazing spider-man.Amazing spider-man Is only spider-man film to fail to gross 300 domesticly.Even Internation while Box office numbers appear higher than 1 or 2,remember unlike domesticly we can't get inflation numbers,Spider-man 3 did better overseas than ASM.

People didn't give ASM a chance because of the repeated origin story, more somber tone, and eyesore costume. (ASM2 won't have those problems)

But lets be honest. ASM deserved to make more than SM3.

ASM was average but SM3 was total trash.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:31 PM   #33
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

I think Fox would like MOS numbers worldwide at the very least from DOFP.

DOFP won't be cheap.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:34 PM   #34
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

Quote:
Nobody cares about Electro.
Visually they will.

Bayformers, Alice in Wonderland and Avatar prove visuals can go a long way with the right franchise. Especially overseas.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:38 PM   #35
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

Quote:
Last I checked Spider-Man was an incredibly popular movie that broke the opening weekend and was the zeitgeist film of its year. Didn't matter who the villain in the sequel was. It was going to break bank. It did.

The Amazing Spider-Man wasn't exactly as well received. Very much a middle-of-the-road reaction. Some loved it. Some hated it. Most thought it was OK and moved on. Quite different circumstances this time.
10th best CBM on RT and 2nd in the polls for spidey films. If the reboot showed anything, Spider-Man is still on the top 3 most popular characters

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
Avvy by OriginalMiles
Old 07-31-2013, 12:42 PM   #36
JP
Smelly

Spidey will do Spidey numbers. DoFP has the best chance of coming close.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:42 PM   #37
FilmNerdJamie
The Mod You Deserve
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlueWonder View Post
10th best CBM on RT and 2nd in the polls for spidey films. If the reboot showed anything, Spider-Man is still on the top 3 most popular characters
Lowest grossing installment domestically and worldwide says he's losing his appeal. You're reaching if using RT and "polls" as your indicator.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:42 PM   #38
Angamb
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlueWonder View Post
exactly.

its like some people think the reboot floped or something, lol

which reboot has done 1 billion right with the first movie?

the answer: NONE

Old 07-31-2013, 12:44 PM   #39
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

I actully prefer personally the amazing spider-man over the rami trilogy but many In GA don't agree with me there.Some spider-man die hard fans may but we don't speak for everyone.It got the spirit of Peter Parker/Spider-man much better than Rami did.Gwn stacy was In some ways right out of comic.And
the whole peter/Gwen relationship was so much better than Peter/mary Jane.

Days of future past Is going to have to hit 500 Million due to rumored 250
Million budget.If you want to continue the tone and direction they have started In first class and the wolverine and get expansion of universe with X-Force and
others

Old 07-31-2013, 12:47 PM   #40
FilmNerdJamie
The Mod You Deserve
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
exactly.

its like some people think the reboot floped or something, lol

which reboot has done 1 billion right with the first movie?

the answer: NONE
A number of people here swore it was "locked" to do $1B.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:50 PM   #41
Figs
Banned User

Quote:

Raimi's Spider-Man had the hype for being the very first Spider-Man film, I don't count that low budget garbage that was from the 80s(or early 90s, don't remember).

If the films had been reversed and Webb's The Amazing Spider-Man came out first, it would have probably done just as well as Raimi's first film.

Like I said before, the movie most likely won't make more than the first film, I don't recall that many sequels in the past achieving that anyways, but I don't think it will bomb or fall flat at the BO. It's all about how they sell the film to the GA, the trailers better have some great action to get asses in the seats. One of the problems with Webb's first film(other than being an unnecessary reboot) was the action was kind of boring. Also, I wouldn't doubt if a good number of people were so used to Macguire and that cast that they couldn't get into to the new one. Reminds me of a lot of the over the top hate towards Man of Steel, a lot of which amounted to "it's not Christopher Reeve anymore whaaaaa!"

Old 07-31-2013, 12:52 PM   #42
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Quote:
A reboot origin story with a new cast so soon after SM3 was never gonna make $1b

But for how much it did make though it actually did very well

Old 07-31-2013, 12:54 PM   #43
Infinity9999x
Side-Kick

Quote:
And a number of people were claiming it would bomb. The hype is often home to gross exaggeration, both ways.

If Spider-man has proved anything, it's that even when he's in a bad movie, he makes money. ASM had a lot going against it; people who loved the old series were pissed it was being rebooted, and people who had a sour taste in their mouth after SM3 weren't really keen on another Spidey film, yet it still did good money. That alone is a testament to how popular this character is

Spider-man is one of the "Big 3." If his film looks like it's going to be good, people will turn out in droves simply because the character is so popular. ASM, while not as well received as SM1 originally was, was no where near as panned or disliked as some people on these boards would like others to believe.

Simple answer: Spider-man is a hugely popular character. The footage from SDCC looked great. If Sony keeps pumping out ads like that over the next year, the film is guaranteed a big opening weekend. If it turns out to be a good film, then it's going to make bank. I'm not saying it'll set ridiculous records, but it'll make good money.

my veiws on Raimi's Spider-man
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
here
just scoll down

X-men Short film:

http://vimeo.com/41530049
Old 07-31-2013, 01:47 PM   #44
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

Quote:
Lowest grossing installment domestically and worldwide says he's losing his appeal. You're reaching if using RT and "polls" as your indicator.
Sure amazing gets mixed reactions in discussions, but so does IM3 and TDKR but those come 2nd in their respective franchises too. TASM was the highest grossing reboot. Sony expected it to become the lowest grossing as every reboot as grossed less than the original including non CBM's. Not saying TASM2 will cross a billion but he will get the biggest box office draw simply because he is the most popular character.

Avvy by OriginalMiles
Old 07-31-2013, 02:02 PM   #45
kguillou
Side-Kick

I think we also need to take into account that DoFP's cast is HUGE and has soo many notable names. Anna Paquin's star power has expanded greatly since X-men 3 and not to mention draws like Halle, Fassenbender, Mcavoy, Lawrence, Stewart, Mccellan, and not mention Jackman of course. This movie has MAJOR star power. That alone will guarantee a $500m gross at least I think.

Old 07-31-2013, 02:13 PM   #46
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:

Thank you for proving my point that it doesn't matter who the villain is in a Spider-Man movie it will do what it will do regardless.

Old 07-31-2013, 02:54 PM   #47
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figs View Post
Raimi's Spider-Man had the hype for being the very first Spider-Man film, I don't count that low budget garbage that was from the 80s(or early 90s, don't remember).

If the films had been reversed and Webb's The Amazing Spider-Man came out first, it would have probably done just as well as Raimi's first film.

Like I said before, the movie most likely won't make more than the first film, I don't recall that many sequels in the past achieving that anyways, but I don't think it will bomb or fall flat at the BO. It's all about how they sell the film to the GA, the trailers better have some great action to get asses in the seats. One of the problems with Webb's first film(other than being an unnecessary reboot) was the action was kind of boring. Also, I wouldn't doubt if a good number of people were so used to Macguire and that cast that they couldn't get into to the new one. Reminds me of a lot of the over the top hate towards Man of Steel, a lot of which amounted to "it's not Christopher Reeve anymore whaaaaa!"
I think the origin redone was seen as unnesseaary

Avvy by OriginalMiles
Old 07-31-2013, 03:38 PM   #48
kguillou
Side-Kick

I would have enjoyed that movie so so much more if they just jumped right into story without spending 45min on the origin again.

Old 07-31-2013, 04:30 PM   #49
Moridin
Death Contagious Deity

CA:TWS - US $250-300m / Int $400-500m / WW $650-800m

TASM2 - US $250-300m / Int $500m / $750-800m

DOFP - US $230-300m / Int $350-450m / WW $580-750m

GotG - WW $400-450m.

[Tentatively]

Quote:
If Days of future past can get 250 million domesticly and 250 Million overseas
that Is success.
I've seen people say the budget for DOFP is $250m. If that is so then $500m WW won't cut it for success.

Defend night-flight sites...
Trap clamped, snared for pyres...

Witchtripper...
Witchtripper...
Old 07-31-2013, 08:29 PM   #50
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

In my humble opinions

X-Men 4 - $600 to $750 million worldwide
Spider-Man 2 - $650 to $725 million worldwide
Captain America 2 - $400 to $600 million worldwide