The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 07:11 PM   #26
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Marvel View Post
Well, I would definitely say Marvel took risks with IM3 so I doubt they will just play it safe with their other sequels.
We will see if TDW is two and half hours.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:24 PM   #27
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

Whoa... I actually legit thought I was in the Thor: The Dark World thread.

It's definitely in our nature, as comic book (movie) fans, to kvetch and worry about our favorite films doing well, both behind the scenes and once they're released. I'm kind of more worried about T:TDW to be honest, moreson than even Cap, but I think what's going on with Thor is maybe a combination of both a conflict between the director and the studio about run times and also the need to do some reshoots. Not that either is a bad thing; I still think that Thor 2 won't necessarily die if the movie is thirty minutes longer than people want it to be. If editing a movie will make it a better product, then maybe a 120 or so cut will be just fine.

I'm in the school of people that thought IM3 was Marvel's riskiest movie yet. I adored it; my favorite blockbuster of the year. It was basically an 80's action/cop-buddy type movie that completely reinvented IM's most famous villain. I didn't see how it was mediocre in the least.

Despite the directors for CA:TWS, I'm getting a really good vibe from the cast and the reactions to the footage at Comic-Con. The Thor stuff too got great feedback from SDCC. So it seems like, at least for now, Marvel's steering their ship in the right direction. IMO at least.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:48 PM   #28
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

For me, Iron Man 3 has set the bar high for the other Phase 2 films.

1. The Dark Knight | 2. Superman: The Movie | 3. Batman Begins | 4. The Avengers | 5. Batman Returns
6. Captain America: The Winter Soldier | 7. X2 | 8. X-Men: Days of Future Past | 9. Spider-Man 2 | 10. The Dark Knight Rises
Old 08-02-2013, 08:50 PM   #29
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Yeah as a film IM3 is great, some people just don't like how they treated the Mandarin to the point they're willing to call it bad.

Old 08-02-2013, 08:59 PM   #30
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Hope you're right. There's been more BTS reports of problems on this movie over any of the other MS films. We keep getting reports of crew abandoning ship, and Taylor feuding with Feige over runtimes. The movie itself looks great, including the trailer; it's just the off-camera reports that are bad news. I'd hate to see TDW fail because of cast and/or crew squabbling.
I haven't seen any reports of crew jumping ship. Just the stuff about Taylor and the music composer.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:01 PM   #31
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
Yeah as a film IM3 is great, some people just don't like how they treated the Mandarin to the point they're willing to call it bad.
It has a finely tuned character arc for Tony Stark from the first scene to the last (unlike IM2). That in itself makes it a good movie despite the Mandarin and subpar villainisms of Killian.

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Old 08-02-2013, 09:54 PM   #32
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Whiplash* View Post
Hell, even I wish I could change my username here.
You can, just PM me with what you want it changed to.

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Old 08-02-2013, 10:35 PM   #33
Broseph44
Dats what I'm saying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacit Ronin View Post
It has a finely tuned character arc for Tony Stark from the first scene to the last (unlike IM2). That in itself makes it a good movie despite the Mandarin and subpar villainisms of Killian.
I was one of the fans that though IM3 was great and just as good as IM1 (I didn't mind the mandarin twist one bit). Killian as a villain to me was extremely satisfying and prob the best so far in the IM series.

Old 08-03-2013, 12:35 AM   #34
Doc Ock
There and Spidey Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacit Ronin View Post
Definitely I think it's my favorite arc of Tony's. Iron Man 3 was fantastic because of it and I think Cap will be great based on Steve's story alone!

Old 08-03-2013, 12:47 AM   #35
boocherhix
Jack Donaghy's Love Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Ock View Post
it's my favorite arc of Tony's.

"I've yet to see any demons on the ward, and I'm particularly observant. So go back to your lab & make me a pill that can cure madness or I'll kick your ass so hard you'll be able to build a pool in the footprint. Understood?" ~ Dean Learner, Garth Marenghi's Darkplace.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:52 AM   #36
Doc Ock
There and Spidey Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by boocherhix View Post
Literally and figuratively

Old 08-03-2013, 06:54 AM   #37
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

Iron Man 3 had a great dramatic arc for Tony and was a wildly entertaining movie with some clever subtext. I personally loved the Mandarin twist, with the only complaint that it came a bit early and robbed the last act of some tension.

1. The Dark Knight | 2. Superman: The Movie | 3. Batman Begins | 4. The Avengers | 5. Batman Returns
6. Captain America: The Winter Soldier | 7. X2 | 8. X-Men: Days of Future Past | 9. Spider-Man 2 | 10. The Dark Knight Rises
Old 08-03-2013, 07:47 AM   #38
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Great to see that some people actually loved IM3. For me it was Marvel's 2nd best movie after The Avengers. Killian was a intelligent villain and the best villain, 2nd to Loki of course.

And why are people complaining that the suits ripped apart like toilet paper?? If I'm not mistaken, doesn't the extremis soldiers heat up to about 3000 degrees Celsius?? I'm sure that's hot enough to cut through any form of metal.

Old 08-03-2013, 08:07 AM   #39
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeKay View Post
Great to see that some people actually loved IM3. For me it was Marvel's 2nd best movie after The Avengers. Killian was a intelligent villain and the best villain, 2nd to Loki of course.

And why are people complaining that the suits ripped apart like toilet paper?? If I'm not mistaken, doesn't the extremis soldiers heat up to about 3000 degrees Celsius?? I'm sure that's hot enough to cut through any form of metal.
Because it suggests the soldiers are as strong as Thor/Hulk, yet Tony killed a lot of them.

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier 9.5 2. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5 3. X-Men: Days of Future Past 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne78 View Post
But Captain America: The Winter Soldier wins. Everything. My first born son, even. It's the unicorn of the MCU.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:11 AM   #40
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farren View Post
I worry that they're settling for questionable scripts because they've created a system much like that of their comics: got to have a story to turn in before the deadline, got to make sure it's fitting into the latest big event, don't forget the editorial mandates.
I could maybe see that after watching IM2, but do you still feel this way after Avengers, IM3, and the rest? They don't give me that vibe at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
We will see if TDW is two and half hours.
You're still assuming that the BTS rumors are true. If they were, I think we would've had more reporters badgering Feige at SDCC. Unless I missed an interview (entirely possible!), I didn't hear the first question about it.

Old 08-03-2013, 08:29 AM   #41
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson King View Post
I could maybe see that after watching IM2, but do you still feel this way after Avengers, IM3, and the rest? They don't give me that vibe at all.
Same here.

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier 9.5 2. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5 3. X-Men: Days of Future Past 9

Quote:
But Captain America: The Winter Soldier wins. Everything. My first born son, even. It's the unicorn of the MCU.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:15 AM   #42
TheFBI
Side-Kick

Extremis soldiers were good even though they were strong the movie never claimed they were bullet/arc blast proof, just like Steve. Itll be interesting to see where they place Cap 2 on the timeline

Old 08-03-2013, 12:32 PM   #43
regnak
Side-Kick

Quote:

You forget about the scene where the slow moving truck hits the armor and it breaks apart?

Old 08-03-2013, 01:11 PM   #44
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

Quote:
Originally Posted by regnak View Post
You forget about the scene where the slow moving truck hits the armor and it breaks apart?
I don't think there's anything more to that scene than Black thought it would be a cool visual to show that it wasn't Stark in the suit.

Old 08-03-2013, 01:31 PM   #45
Son of Coul
They call me Mr. Pym

Quote:
Felt the same way. Should the armors be tearing through the soldiers, giving us zero tension like a Steven Seagal movie? Sometimes a threat can raise those whatchamacallits-- stakes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Marvel View Post
Because it suggests the soldiers are as strong as Thor/Hulk, yet Tony killed a lot of them.
That's a really lame reason. They're obviously nowhere near as durable as Thor/Hulk, so I don't see a problem there.

Old 08-03-2013, 01:37 PM   #46
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
well, the suit in question was still a prototype and badly damaged even before the whole AF1 sequence. Under this circumstances I had no problem with the suit falling apart
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFBI View Post
Extremis soldiers were good even though they were strong the movie never claimed they were bullet/arc blast proof, just like Steve. Itll be interesting to see where they place Cap 2 on the timeline
I know I wrote this before but I really hope MS updates their official timeline of the MCU sometime. there were about 7 threads in 2011/2012 of people trying to work out the timeline of Phase 1 until the official pic from the Art of The Avengers was released. I don't want this to happen in 2014/2015 again

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

Old 08-03-2013, 01:44 PM   #47
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:
So did Tony's karate chop. It was already established that it was a prototypical suit prone to break like glass.

Old 08-03-2013, 01:46 PM   #48
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Quote:
It's a prehensile suit, of course it falls apart. It's made up of individual pieces and that scene was to show that Tony wasn't in the suit. If it was one of his regular suits like the Mark 7, the results would have been different because it's not a prehensile suit.

Old 08-03-2013, 01:54 PM   #49
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

One scene I found really hilarious in IM3 is when his first PTSD episode occurred, prompting him to leave his conversation with Rhodey and hide in his bulky, combat ready, heavily weaponized MKVII suit in a civilian area. Just the visual of it gave me a chuckle. One would think he would don a less powerful suit for casual roams.

Old 08-03-2013, 01:56 PM   #50
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Coul View Post
That's a really lame reason. They're obviously nowhere near as durable as Thor/Hulk, so I don't see a problem there.
Exactly. Which proves the point. Their powers seemed a bit inconsistent. It didn't bother me but it's a valid complaint.

Quote:
Closed Thread