The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 07:04 PM   #76
Crimz
Side-Kick

Default Re: "By The Goddess!": The Official Storm Discussion - Part 2

Charlize Theron would be a better Storm than Berry.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:06 PM   #77
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

What? There are plenty of people from the continent of Africa that would be considered "light bright" like Berry. Look at Egyptians - they're not considered what typical African natives look like but they are still very much 100% African.

Berry could certainly pass as someone of Egyptian descent.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:10 PM   #78
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperT View Post
What? There are plenty of people from the continent of Africa that would be considered "light bright." Look at Egyptians - they're not considered what typical African natives look like but they are still very much 100% African.

Berry could certainly pass as someone of Egyptian descent.
As one who is of mixed Egyptian heritage myself (did you already know that and purposely used it as a point of relevance? If so, you're brilliant) I totally agree with you. For example, consider Queen Nefertiti.

So it could work. But there's more to being/looking African than just the skin tone. It also involves Halle's features, which are very fine and European. She is obviously stunningly gorgeous, but she's also clearly of multicultural heritage. Comic Storm is black--straight up. And I'm not talking about size or fullness or lips, nose or dark skin elements. Halle, by comparison, is just very exotic in appearance. And then you have the accent issue. She's too Americanized as of X2 and X3. It'd be terribly difficult to explain, let alone believe. If they had been consistent with Storm in these films from jump it might work. But now? Her characterization is all over the place. They can't suddenly take her roots back to Africa so late in the game.

Another fair complexioned actress with an accent would be believable as Storm. But not Halle Berry, and certainly not as she's been portrayed thusfar in this franchise. This is why so many legions of fans don't care for this actress in the role...she just doesn't *feel* right when compared to the statuesque African Weather Goddess of comic lore.

Last edited by Lightning Strykez!; 08-04-2013 at 07:17 PM.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:13 PM   #79
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
Charlize Theron would be a better Storm than Berry.
Albino Storm? Perhaps.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:14 PM   #80
Double B
Side-Kick

In addition, there's something very wrong if Storm being African is classed as something "very revealing and shocking about Storm"...

Old 08-04-2013, 07:16 PM   #81
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strykez! View Post
As one who is of mixed Egyptian heritage (did you already know that and purposely used it as a point of relevance? If so, you're brilliant) I totally agree with you. Queen Nefertiti looks a lot like Halle Berry in my opinion. But there's more to being/looking African than just the skin tone. It also involves Halle's features, which are very fine and European. She is obviously stunningly gorgeous, but she's also clearly of multicultural heritage. Comic Storm is black--straight up. And I'm not talking about size or fullness or lips, nose or dark skin elements. She's just very exotic in appearance. And then you have the accent issue. She's too Americanized as of X2 and X3. It'd be terribly difficult to explain, let alone believe. If they had been consistent with Storm in these films from jump it might work. But now? Her characterization is all over the place. They can't suddenly take her roots back to Africa so late in the game.
I did not know you were of Egyptian descent LZ, that was just a lucky guess but if you want to call me brilliant I will take it.

And I do agree with you - Berry does have more European features mixed with African-American but I don't think that's terrible. There's been many incarnations and drawings of Storm since her debut in the comics. They've been between her have very dark skin and her sometimes coming off as being very light-skinned African-American like myself.

Yes there are some things that could be done better, I don't think Berry's portrayal is as bad as some people make it out to be.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:22 PM   #82
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperT View Post
Yes there are some things that could be done better, I don't think Berry's portrayal is as bad as some people make it out to be.
Oh, I don't think her portrayal is as bad as some complain either. If anything, Halle has shown the most growth in claiming her character in this franchise. However, she has been "all over the place"...she's a different Storm every movie. In one film she's meek, skurred of the humans. In the next, she's full of hate and anger. Then she's All-American "Sistah Girlfriend", talking SUPER F***ING FAST, using slang, and not completing her syllables and words like, "You know Magneto's gonna come get Mystique right"?

Perhaps the shocking revelation will be Storm finally finds out just who the hell she is and decides to stick with it for two films straight.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:39 PM   #83
BeholdMe
Storm Disciple

Quote:
Oh, I don't think her portrayal is as bad as some complain either. If anything, Halle has shown the most growth in claiming her character in this franchise. However, she has been "all over the place"...she's a different Storm every movie. In one film she's meek, skurred of the humans. In the next, she's full of hate and anger. Then she's All-American "Sistah Girlfriend", talking SUPER F***ING FAST, using slang, and not completing her syllables and words like, "You know Magneto's gonna come get Mystique right"?

Perhaps the shocking revelation will be Storm finally finds out just who the hell she is and decides to stick with it for two films straight.
I agree its like she is playing a different Storm every movie, she is definetely all over the place.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:15 PM   #84
BobJM
Who's Bad?

Maybe I'm part of the minority, but I think Halle is great as Storm--so psyched to have her back.

I think her strongest portrayal of Storm was X2. Her scenes with Nightcrawler and badassery on display in the XJet and especially with Jason at the end. I honestly am surprised when I hear fans talk about being upset with her characterization. I thought she was pretty good leader and showed great displays of her abilities in that movie.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:09 PM   #85
AndrewGilkison
Side-Kick

The revelation is probably that she's claustrophobic.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:32 PM   #86
BeholdMe
Storm Disciple

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJM View Post
Maybe I'm part of the minority, but I think Halle is great as Storm--so psyched to have her back.

I think her strongest portrayal of Storm was X2. Her scenes with Nightcrawler and badassery on display in the XJet and especially with Jason at the end. I honestly am surprised when I hear fans talk about being upset with her characterization. I thought she was pretty good leader and showed great displays of her abilities in that movie.
Her acting wasnt bad in Xmen its just she didnt portray Storm as she is portrayed in the comics. I do respect how she fought for the character but i was satisfied with her performance so far, X3 though impressed me a little bit.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:55 PM   #87
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars123 View Post
The question is how much do you count deleted scenes?! As it didnt make the cut, did it really happen??
If they didn't make the cut and obviously, they are not canon.

Hopefully, I hope the Storm revelation will be either
a. She will be the focus of the next movie after DOFP
b. We will get a Storm-spin-off movie after DOFP

"Once you cage the beast, the beast gets angry" - X3
"Patience isn't my strongest suit" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
Old 08-04-2013, 11:58 PM   #88
Primal Slayer
Good ol' Lima Heights

That would be pretty hard to set up in this movie.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:41 AM   #89
BeholdMe
Storm Disciple

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
If they didn't make the cut and obviously, they are not canon.

Hopefully, I hope the Storm revelation will be either
a. She will be the focus of the next movie after DOFP
b. We will get a Storm-spin-off movie after DOFP
I would love both of those options, I doubt it would happen well the 2nd one at least I can see her being the focus of the next movie if Shadow King is introduced or the least popular villian of Storm appears which is Candra. I would love to see this on the big screen.

Old 08-05-2013, 02:15 AM   #90
josh8
Side-Kick

Quote:
Personally I liked the accent. And I definitely prefer it over the Sistah Gurl action we got in X3. Who knows...maybe she'll have a British Accent in DoFP.
I liked the accent too and as a bonus it kept her diction proper... as Storm should speak. I still stand by my theory that Halle didn't have a proper dialect coach. And you're totally right that it's been a different Storm in each movie!

I don't blame Halle at all for the poor interpretation of the character stemming all the way back from X1. She probably wasn't familiar with the cartoon and it's been documented that Bryan didn't want them reading the comics, so how was she supposed to know what Storm was like? After making X1, it seems she did some research and fought to make Storm a stronger character. This is what may have led to her clashing with Bryan, which people have (tirelessly) used against Halle. I feel bad that she was vilified for this.

Still, Halle hasn't really figured out Storm. She had greater freedom with the character in X3 (Ratner seemed intent to please her) and the portrayal kind of veered too far from true Storm... although some argue that at least a tough Storm was emerging.

I'm glad her and Bryan are totally cool with each other. They need to work together. I do like that Halle called DOFP's Storm the "Earth Mother" of the group. They toyed with this idea in X2, but I don't think it was executed too well. Can't wait to find out what DOFP Storm will be like!!!

Old 08-05-2013, 04:08 AM   #91
Mars123
Side-Kick

I personally really like the idea about storm having her African routes set in egypt, as a nation full of history I think it could work really well.... As halle Is multi cultural, her mum is from Liverpool, I'd simply have her parent from both races, perhaps her mother/father could be a white archeologist looking at the tombs and opposite being Egyptian.

I have no issue with here accent, it always had that halle berry tone regardless of African accent or ghetto sound. Halle has quite a soft tone IMO.

I really love how halle has fought for her role and has made it better, I wonder if singer liked her version of storm in x3 and came to a compromise. Plus I love how she spoke of storm at comic con, I believe in her when she talks about storm and earth mother role.

@ psylockolussus Id love to see more xmen with storm at the centre of the film, I doubt there be a storm spin off but if she can have important roles in future films that be great!

Shadow king would be great for storm at least

Old 08-05-2013, 04:32 AM   #92
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

I would prefer they just keep Storm is Kenyan/African American. They can say she lived in Egypt or grew up there if they want.

If you they want to play into Halle's Caucasian heritage then her father David Munroe could of been biracial but that would be unnecessary really. I don't think they need to go into Storms backstory that much.

Old 08-05-2013, 04:49 AM   #93
Crimz
Side-Kick

Getting rid of her accent in the trilogy, has lessened the amount of diversity of the characters in the movie. One of the great things about X-Men was that they had characters from all over the world in many walks of life. When Storm is changed from African to African-American it takes away something interesting and unique to her character.

It's not wrong for me to want an African Storm and Russian Colossus, and if a recast is the only way to get that then I don't mind.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:11 AM   #94
Mars123
Side-Kick

No to recasting.... I think as soon as that happens it effects the credibility and quality of a series.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:09 AM   #95
NanaT
X-Men United!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
Getting rid of her accent in the trilogy, has lessened the amount of diversity of the characters in the movie. One of the great things about X-Men was that they had characters from all over the world in many walks of life. When Storm is changed from African to African-American it takes away something interesting and unique to her character.

It's not wrong for me to want an African Storm and Russian Colossus, and if a recast is the only way to get that then I don't mind.
Storm, was not changed from African to African-American. Storm is not African she has always been African-American. She was born in Harlem I believe. However she was brought up in Egypt and then spent her late teenage years in Kenya before being recruited by Charles Xavier.

- PROFESSOR CHARLES XAVIER
Old 08-05-2013, 10:16 AM   #96
NanaT
X-Men United!

Quote:
As one who is of mixed Egyptian heritage myself (did you already know that and purposely used it as a point of relevance? If so, you're brilliant) I totally agree with you. For example, consider Queen Nefertiti.

So it could work. But there's more to being/looking African than just the skin tone. It also involves Halle's features, which are very fine and European. She is obviously stunningly gorgeous, but she's also clearly of multicultural heritage. Comic Storm is black--straight up. And I'm not talking about size or fullness or lips, nose or dark skin elements. Halle, by comparison, is just very exotic in appearance. And then you have the accent issue. She's too Americanized as of X2 and X3. It'd be terribly difficult to explain, let alone believe. If they had been consistent with Storm in these films from jump it might work. But now? Her characterization is all over the place. They can't suddenly take her roots back to Africa so late in the game.

Another fair complexioned actress with an accent would be believable as Storm. But not Halle Berry, and certainly not as she's been portrayed thusfar in this franchise. This is why so many legions of fans don't care for this actress in the role...she just doesn't *feel* right when compared to the statuesque African Weather Goddess of comic lore.
It's funny you should say that. You know back in 2007 Halle was set to produce and star as Nefertiti in a movie of the same name. She was going to re-team with Marc Foster the director of Monster's Ball which won her an Oscar. Everything was going well than Halle Berry got pregnant with Nahla and the project was never resurrected.

- PROFESSOR CHARLES XAVIER
Old 08-05-2013, 03:55 PM   #97
josh8
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanaT View Post
It's funny you should say that. You know back in 2007 Halle was set to produce and star as Nefertiti in a movie of the same name. She was going to re-team with Marc Foster the director of Monster's Ball which won her an Oscar. Everything was going well than Halle Berry got pregnant with Nahla and the project was never resurrected.
Not sure if it was the pregnancy that stalled it. Halle's films have always been stuck in development hell. I've heard her attached to so many movies that ultimately don't end up getting made.

But it shows how hard it is for her to get good roles. She literally has to make her own movies. Everyone always thinks she chooses crap roles, but really the good ones just aren't out there. She can't be cast in period movies. Fantasy movies/fairytales are out of the question. Roles in movies that are family based are rare unless it's a movie about African-Americans or specifically deals with race issues. Hollywood isn't really making interracial romantic comedies. It's no wonder she's ventured mostly in action/suspense/thriller type movies and gritty dramas.

Old 08-05-2013, 04:15 PM   #98
kasjan
Side-Kick

Egypt story for FC3, teenager Storm, Shadow King,...

Last edited by kasjan; 08-05-2013 at 04:31 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:37 PM   #99
The Guard
Side-Kick

Apocalypse...

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
Old 08-05-2013, 05:52 PM   #100
Farren
Side Kicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewGilkison View Post
The revelation is probably that she's claustrophobic.
I think so too.

Closed Thread