The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men Sequels & Spin-Offs

Old 08-05-2013, 04:11 AM   #26
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Default Re: First Class 3 or X-Men 5?

I agree with that and I have said this before, but Hugh Jackman is aging, everybody is aging and this series shouldn't end without the OT cast. If I was the head of FOX, I would start telling the writers/producers to make an end-game plan.

Like for me, five more films after DOFP, with the final film in 2025. 25 years after the first movie.

"Kill me before I kill someone else" - X3
"Where else would I be?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:52 AM   #27
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Jesus Christ.

This series doesn't need 5 more films. Like, Days Of Future Past, and -maybe- one more film after that. 2 at the absolute tops.

These characters have had their arcs, the stories and the world have all pretty much been brought to a conclusion, now it's just being milked.

Ironically enough, the last films, X-Men: First Class, The Wolverine, and most likely X-Men: Days Of Future Past, the films being made to milk the franchise for all it's worth, are getting treated with quality and care, whereas the movies before that, X-Men: The Last Stand and X-Men Origins: Wolverine, both of which added greatly to the world that had been set up, didn't quite get the care they deserved (my feelings of these films aside, I can acknowledge they weren't treated properly).

Quality over quantity. People complain about how Hollywood lacks creativity and just does the same thing over and over again, but then these same people want reboot after reboot after reboot for any movie that's ever been made, and wants constant sequel after sequel for franchises that quite frankly have run their course.

X-Men: Days Of Future Past is a nice little reunion / event film, but this franchise has run it's course. At the end of the day, we'll have at least 7 films. I think we can count on both hands the number of quality film franchises that have gotten this far. Star Wars, Star Trek, Harry Potter, James Bond, Batman, perhaps a certain argument can be made for Alien and Predator, but even if there's a couple I may have forgotten, the point is, film franchises don't typically get as many installments as the X-Men franchise have. Yet the fans keep crying for "MORE MORE MORE!!!" as if somehow we haven't gotten enough. It's a spoiled, entitled attitude that leads to ruining a franchise by running it into the ground, and quite frankly, I care about these characters and these movies way too much to see it run into the ground by overkilling the franchise via needless spin-offs, sequels, and reboots.

Nell2ThaIzzay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:56 AM   #28
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
Jesus Christ.

This series doesn't need 5 more films. Like, Days Of Future Past, and -maybe- one more film after that. 2 at the absolute tops.

These characters have had their arcs, the stories and the world have all pretty much been brought to a conclusion, now it's just being milked.

Ironically enough, the last films, X-Men: First Class, The Wolverine, and most likely X-Men: Days Of Future Past, the films being made to milk the franchise for all it's worth, are getting treated with quality and care, whereas the movies before that, X-Men: The Last Stand and X-Men Origins: Wolverine, both of which added greatly to the world that had been set up, didn't quite get the care they deserved (my feelings of these films aside, I can acknowledge they weren't treated properly).

Quality over quantity. People complain about how Hollywood lacks creativity and just does the same thing over and over again, but then these same people want reboot after reboot after reboot for any movie that's ever been made, and wants constant sequel after sequel for franchises that quite frankly have run their course.

X-Men: Days Of Future Past is a nice little reunion / event film, but this franchise has run it's course. At the end of the day, we'll have at least 7 films. I think we can count on both hands the number of quality film franchises that have gotten this far. Star Wars, Star Trek, Harry Potter, James Bond, Batman, perhaps a certain argument can be made for Alien and Predator, but even if there's a couple I may have forgotten, the point is, film franchises don't typically get as many installments as the X-Men franchise have. Yet the fans keep crying for "MORE MORE MORE!!!" as if somehow we haven't gotten enough. It's a spoiled, entitled attitude that leads to ruining a franchise by running it into the ground, and quite frankly, I care about these characters and these movies way too much to see it run into the ground by overkilling the franchise via needless spin-offs, sequels, and reboots.
I'm pretty sure the studio will lose the rights if they don't release X-Men films regularly, so I don't think they are giving up anytime soon.

How do you think they should move forward?

Old 08-05-2013, 09:37 AM   #29
Shpati
Side-Kick

I agree with nell2thaizzay.

2 more films max. But we will probably see 3. The dofp crossover, x force, and probably one last one (x5). Maybe 4 movies of they do fc 4.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:38 AM   #30
Shpati
Side-Kick

2025 is too long. Lot of the hardcore x men fans will have died of old age by then.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:54 AM   #31
Havok83
Side-Kick

The series will have been rebooted by then. These actors aren't getting any younger you know. Jackman can't play Wolverine indefinetly unless they make him Old man Logan which I don't foresee

Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:48 PM   #32
Loki882
Side-Kick

There are hundreds of characters that they haven't used yet, the New Mutants being just one example. They don't need to original cast to make good films.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:54 PM   #33
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
I'm pretty sure the studio will lose the rights if they don't release X-Men films regularly, so I don't think they are giving up anytime soon.

How do you think they should move forward?
And this is the biggest problem with this whole situation.

Business over quality. And quite frankly, it's starting to show.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:03 PM   #34
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Business over quality. And quite frankly, it's starting to show.
Past two flicks have been great.

def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:07 PM   #35
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

They have been, but they've been the least necessary of the entire series and added the least to the overall world.

X-Men: First Class basically told the story we already knew from the exposition of X-Men - Xavier and Magneto used to be friends, then Magneto became vengeful and he became a villain. The intro scene in X-Men already showed us that Magneto was in a concentration camp, and it was that that turned him "bad".

The Wolverine is an isolated story that, while connected to X-Men: The Last Stand and X-Men Origins: Wolverine, doesn't really progress the world or the characters in any significant way.

Audiences aren't turning up the same way they used to. And while some want to blame X-Men Origins: Wolverine for that, the last film in the series was X-Men: First Class, which is widely accepted by audiences and critics alike.

The fact is, the general public, while they still like X-Men, simply doesn't care anymore.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:12 PM   #36
def28
Side-Kick

I could see that argument for Wolverine, but First Class is a huge part of DOFP. I wouldn't call that unnecessary. It's a huge part of this franchise now, and could play an even bigger role post DOFP.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:17 PM   #37
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
I could see that argument for Wolverine, but First Class is a huge part of DOFP. I wouldn't call that unnecessary. It's a huge part of this franchise now, and could play an even bigger role post DOFP.
Even then, X-Men: First Class was setting up for something else.

You have Xavier off with his team of Havok, Banshee, and Beast, meanwhile Magneto is forming his Brotherhood with Mystique, Azazel, Riptide, Angel, and Emma Frost.

None of these characters are going to be here, except for Beast, Havok, and Mystique. It's not picking up where First Class left off, it's just combining two different casts.

I'm not saying I'm not excited, and I'm not saying it won't be good, I actually think it will be my favorite X-Men movie yet, but to be perfectly honest, X-Men: First Class wasn't needed to set up Days Of Future Past. They could have gone back in time to past versions of themselves without that movie.

The movies are just obvious cash grabs to keep the rights alive at this point. Somehow, these films are the ones that have been treated with care, which is rather ironic.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:25 PM   #38
def28
Side-Kick

I don't know. Until DOFP comes out it is really difficult to see where this franchise wants to go. First Class could still have their sequels and the OT may be done, or vice versa. I can't really see Singer letting go of either tbh.

If DOFP is good flick that will be a new track record for consecutive X-Men films, I think the franchise is in the best position quality wise it's ever been personally.

Last edited by def28; 08-05-2013 at 03:28 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:25 PM   #39
BlackFox
Red 5 standing by

I always thought DoFP was kind of a way to say goodbye to the old cast, a nice little send-off to go out on a high.

I could be totally wrong and they plan an X5 all along but thats just the way I saw it.

(X-Men-Apocalypse:Brace yourselves, WAR is coming)
BlackFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:29 PM   #40
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Probably not a good bye to the OT but they now have 2 casts they can play with now, the producer has said there is room for sequels to both, it gives FOX more options

Old 08-05-2013, 03:31 PM   #41
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
I don't know. Until DOFP comes out it is really difficult to see where this franchise wants to go. First Class could still have their sequels and the OT may be done, or vice versa. I can't really see Singer letting go of either tbh.

If DOFP is good flick that will be a new track record for consecutive X-Men films, I think the franchise is in the best position quality wise it's ever been.
I should go ahead and say that I don't think X-Men: First Class, The Wolverine or X-Men: Days Of Future Past are running the franchise into the ground.

What I do believe is that this franchise should be nearing the end of it's run, because I think it is getting dangerously close to over extending itself and running itself into the ground. I think that 2 parallel series' (a First Class series, and a 2nd OT series), or on-going spinoffs either for solo characters or for things like X-Force are that over extending. On some level, sequels beyond Days Of Future Past could be too much as well.

The poster above me said that Days Of Future Past could be seen as a send off for Hugh and the OT cast - there's a very big part of me that says that Days Of Future Past should be a send off for the X-Men franchise as a whole.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:36 PM   #42
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

They won't reboot any time soon

Old 08-05-2013, 03:40 PM   #43
henzINNIT
Side-Kick

Pfft. This franchise hasn't run out of steam. Played right, it could be getting a second wind.

There's plenty of characters and storylines to adapt. Hell, I wouln't mind Singer taking another crack at the Dark Phoenix story either.

henzINNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:41 PM   #44
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestStar2004 View Post
They won't reboot any time soon
I don't want them to. I am anti-reboot.

I just want the series to end before it gets run into the ground. I don't know when that is though, but I feel like it's sooner rather than later, and I don't think this series has something like 5 movies left in it.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:47 PM   #45
def28
Side-Kick

I think the OT have one more movie in them. AOA.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:58 PM   #46
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

They probally would keep the rights till 2021 with DOFP coming out in 2014.It seems studios have a 7 year window to make films after last one.it took 7 years after elektra for daredevil to revert.Fox has till fall 204 to start filming the Fantastic Four.

X-men can be what James Bond series used to be intill they went with unneccsary reboot.
I don't care if a reboot Is done by Fox or Marvel/Disney.I probally won't be seeing it if it was rebooted.Studios should have to wait at least 10 years before they can reboot.
99 percent of time i don't feel as excited for reboots as I do seeing new installments in series i am fan on.

marvelrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:59 PM   #47
BlackFox
Red 5 standing by

I tend to think Xmen has turned the corner and is on the upward swing again in terms of quality, both FC and TW have been better received critically, even if the BO is not what the two before it were, but it is getting better and DoFP has the chance to drive it home and really put Xmen back on the map and in the game. If they fumble DoFP though then yeah it could well be the last.

(X-Men-Apocalypse:Brace yourselves, WAR is coming)
BlackFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:31 PM   #48
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
I don't want them to. I am anti-reboot.

I just want the series to end before it gets run into the ground. I don't know when that is though, but I feel like it's sooner rather than later, and I don't think this series has something like 5 movies left in it.
However, it will get rebooted at some point. That's a given.

Either by Fox or eventually by Marvel.

If this were an adaptation of one set of books with a defined beginning, middle and end (Twilight, Potter, LoTR), then the likelihood of it ending would be stronger, and even then I'm sure they will do new versions of Twilight, Potter and LoTR again in our lifetimes, in 20 or 30 years or so.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:14 PM   #49
BMM
Side-Kick

I will never understand the aversion to a reboot of this franchise, given how different the films are from the books and how much untapped potential there still is. If any franchise can pull off a reboot, it's this one. That said, I will gladly take a First Class 2/3 or X-Men 4/5 first.

Last edited by BMM; 08-05-2013 at 07:17 PM.
BMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:18 PM   #50
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

A sequel to First Class in a new timeline is just as effective as a reboot. That way you still get to keep Singers two original movies (and third DOFP) yet it gives them the freedom to start on a new trajectory with characters.

They could essentially introduce characters again such as Cyclops, Storm, and Jean in a new timeline and not be bogged down by what has happened in the past movies. Plus the franchise can simply last longer. There's only so many movies they can do with the original cast - heck I even think one more is pushing it.

It's going to eventually become stale. Might as well start anew now with the awesome First Class cast they have now and they can only build off of that with additional casting as well.

SuperT is offline   Reply With Quote