The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > The Wolverine

Old 08-05-2013, 08:43 AM   #26
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

Default Re: What didn't you like about the film?

- Harada's character.
- The fight between Yukio and Viper and a few other scenes in the third act.
- Viper (for the most part).
- Shaky cam during early fight scenes.

That's probably it.

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier 9.5 2. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5 3. X-Men: Days of Future Past 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne78 View Post
But Captain America: The Winter Soldier wins. Everything. My first born son, even. It's the unicorn of the MCU.
Ms. Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:03 AM   #27
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Definately the final act and the revelations it contains. The fight between SS mecha and Wolverine was very disappointing itself, but the plot advances at the end were also pretty poor.

I liked the movie other than that.

1)X-Men: Days Of Future Past-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(4)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(5)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(6)The Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(7)Godzilla-8(8)Neighbours-8(9)The Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(10)The Lego Movie-7.5(11)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(12)Robocop-7.5(13)300:Rise Of An Empire-7(14)A Million Ways To Die In The West-7(15)47 Ronin-6(16)The Monuments Men-5(17)Ride Along-5(18)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:18 AM   #28
Paladin-Hoss
Side-Kick

Quote:
Definately the final act and the revelations it contains. The fight between SS mecha and Wolverine was very disappointing itself, but the plot advances at the end were also pretty poor.
Apparently they cut quite alot from the movie to stay within the PG-13 rating, so hopefully when we get the director's cut version, things'll flow better for the final act of the movie.

Paladin-Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:26 AM   #29
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin-Hoss View Post
Apparently they cut quite alot from the movie to stay within the PG-13 rating, so hopefully when we get the director's cut version, things'll flow better for the final act of the movie.
Hopefully, but I still think it was a very poor finale, it was the worst action scene in the movie for one.

1)X-Men: Days Of Future Past-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(4)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(5)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(6)The Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(7)Godzilla-8(8)Neighbours-8(9)The Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(10)The Lego Movie-7.5(11)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(12)Robocop-7.5(13)300:Rise Of An Empire-7(14)A Million Ways To Die In The West-7(15)47 Ronin-6(16)The Monuments Men-5(17)Ride Along-5(18)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:49 AM   #30
Taka
Newbie First Class

-The third act in general.
-Viper
-Logan losing his adamantium claws.

Taka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:34 PM   #31
Shpati
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arawn Fenn View Post
That was the hole.
Cool, so instead of Wolverine's awesome background in Japan, we got one scene with him in a hole.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:53 PM   #32
Shpati
Side-Kick

another thing i hated about this movie was how the secret to make the sword heat up was to hold it with two hands.

yes wolverine, even though you like holding it with one hand, sometimes people use two hands to hold swords.

Old 08-05-2013, 02:00 PM   #33
Taka
Newbie First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shpati View Post

I wanted Wolverine's Japan background. Not his revisit. The characters were very tastless. I didn't care for them.
Are you saying you wanted a prequel movie instead? The comic series that this film is inspired by is about Logan revisiting Japan, only in that series he already had an established relationship with Mariko which wouldn't have really fit with this film's timeline so they made his reasons for going back to Japan different. In terms of character though, I thought this was easily the best Wolverine we've ever seen on screen, with X2 being in second place.

Taka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:04 PM   #34
BlackFox
Burn baby burn!

The shortness of the ninja scene after all those trailers was the biggest disappointment, but hopefully the dvd/blu-ray will correct this at least.

The waste of Harada and Vipers hit or miss scenes.

Everything else was spot on

Old 08-05-2013, 02:05 PM   #35
MagnarTheGreat
Side-Kick

Two of the biggest ones:

-Abbreviated ninja fight. I mean, come on! This complaint will hopefully be nullified in an extended cut. But unfortunately most of the audience that ever sees this movie won't get the benefit, just hardcore fans.

-Viper dub. The comic character is supposed to be Eastern European but they made her American in the movie. It seemed on track and good when I heard her voice in Trailer 2 as Eastern European or Russian like the actress's actual origin. Then later marketing went in a strange direction of different accents in different videos. I got wary, and for apparently good reason.

MagnarTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:02 PM   #36
Loki882
Side-Kick

There were only really two things that disappointed me, not enough to ruin the movie for me. The first was the scene with Logan facing down Harada and all of the ninja's. I wanted an epic fight with Wolverine killing dozens of ninjas before getting caught. Instead, we got a cool fight, but too short then he was captured. The second was that I really wanted to see Logan fight using a Katana at least once, which didn't happen. Other than that, the movie was awesome.

Loki882 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:11 PM   #37
GoldGoblin
Side-Kick

Not enough mutants.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:24 PM   #38
Loki882
Side-Kick

You were watching the wrong movie then, the title told you that there weren't going to be many mutants.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:31 PM   #39
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
You were watching the wrong movie then, the title told you that there weren't going to be many mutants.
Its still a X-Men movie and you know people expect to see mutants when they watch a X-Men movie. And as long as its not overcrowded with mutants like in X3/Origins, its okay to have a handful of mutants. IMO, if they made Harada a mutant or replaced him with Sunfire and ditch the "Mariko's protector/turning on Viper/SS" role, that character could have been stronger and bad-ass.

"Once you cage the beast, the beast gets angry" - X3
"Patience isn't my strongest suit" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:37 PM   #40
Loki882
Side-Kick

It's a Wolverine movie, not an X-Men movie, there is a difference. That is why X-Men doesn't appear in the title. It's part of Logan's journey that mere humans can push him this far.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:45 PM   #41
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

The reason they called it "The Wolverine" was because it was intended as a standalone solo story. "X-Men" is not in the title for that same reason.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:49 PM   #42
Loki882
Side-Kick

That was my point, maybe I didn't make it very well, sorry. We didn't need a bunch of mutants in this film, I actually think it would have hurt the story, not helped it. But that is just my opinion.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:51 PM   #43
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
That was my point, maybe I didn't make it very well, sorry. We didn't need a bunch of mutants in this film, I actually think it would have hurt the story, not helped it. But that is just my opinion.
No, I was just agreeing with you.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:18 PM   #44
Loki882
Side-Kick

Oh, ok then, cool.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:55 PM   #45
GoldGoblin
Side-Kick

But Wolverine lives in a world where there are mutants.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:08 AM   #46
Loki882
Side-Kick

There were mutants in the film, Yukio and Viper. Just because he lives in a world with mutants doesn't mean that he never has an adventure mostly free of them. There was no reason for anymore mutants to be in the film, the ones that were there served a purpose.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:14 AM   #47
Shpati
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taka View Post
Are you saying you wanted a prequel movie instead? The comic series that this film is inspired by is about Logan revisiting Japan, only in that series he already had an established relationship with Mariko which wouldn't have really fit with this film's timeline so they made his reasons for going back to Japan different. In terms of character though, I thought this was easily the best jfh we've ever seen on screen, with X2 being in second place.
yes, a prequel. Just look at the movie title. "the wolverine". I was expecting where wolverine learned his fighting arts. Why he went to Japan in the first place. And why he left. etc.

Everything about this movie felt like an origins movie with the exception of it actually taking place after x3. There was even a scene where he goes "I'm the wolverine". The cliche line for any super hero origin movie ("I'm batman", "its Spiderman!").

Its obivious they changed it to a revisit story at the last minute due to dofp.

Old 08-06-2013, 05:11 AM   #48
Double B
Side-Kick

How did they change it to a revisit movie at the last minute?!

The entire emotional core of the movie, the crux, was that it focused on Wolverine's feelings about his murder of Jean. Remove that and you get a completely different movie in terms of scope and tone.

Double B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:23 AM   #49
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Most of my dislikes faded away when i saw it for a second time. The fights seemed very fast-cut, that was about it as far as thinking things could have been done differently.

Seeing it for a second time made a huge difference.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:02 AM   #50
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shpati View Post
yes, a prequel. Just look at the movie title. "the wolverine". I was expecting where wolverine learned his fighting arts. Why he went to Japan in the first place. And why he left. etc.

Everything about this movie felt like an origins movie with the exception of it actually taking place after x3. There was even a scene where he goes "I'm the wolverine". The cliche line for any super hero origin movie ("I'm batman", "its Spiderman!").

Its obivious they changed it to a revisit story at the last minute due to dofp.
No, "The Wolverine" line wasn't about an origin. After Logan saved Yashida in Nagasaki, Yashida told the story of what happened in the years that followed, referring to Logan as "the Kuzuri", which means "the Wolverine."

His son never really bought it, but according to Mariko, he used to tell her about "the Kuzuri" when she had a nightmare, saying the Kuzuri would protect her. It was like a fantasy character in a children's story to her. When she sees Logan fighting off the assassins at the funeral, with his claws out and surviving injuries, she actually looks at him and says, "Kuzuri...", because she realizes that this was the person her grandfather told her about.

But Logan is so wracked with guilt over killing Jean, that when Mariko tells him this story later and asks who Jean was, he explains that he'd killed Jean and the Kuzuri along with her.

When Shingen takes on Logan and asks what kind of monster he is because he can't believe what he sees, he says "The Wolverine", because he's telling Shingen that he's the guy Yashida had told him stories about. And that he better watch the **** out, because he's pissed. That he'll survive whatever gets thrown at him, and he'll protect Mariko. He basically became the guy in Yashida's story then.

It's not an origin line, it's about Logan fighting his way back to the person he's meant to be.