4. Spider-Man 1
5. Iron Man
6. Batman 89
7. Superman 2: Lester/theatrical release
8. Thor
9. Captain America
10. Incredible Hulk

Hon: Superman 78

I wouldn't call Batman Returns overrated at all. There are as many people who don't like it as there are who do.

Old 08-05-2013, 05:17 PM   #227
DarKush
Side-Kick

Default Re: Overrated Comic Book Films

The Avengers
Spider-Man 2
The Dark Knight
Batman Begins
The Amazing Spider-Man
Iron Man 3
Superman 2 (The Donner Cut)
Man of Steel

Last edited by DarKush; 08-05-2013 at 05:23 PM.
DarKush is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:38 AM   #228
warhorse78
Side-Kick

Batman Begins (I just didn't care for the villains and the plot line in this, at all. And the chick was horrible)
Spider-Man 2 (Movie was so depressing, and I think it's so shallow that Mary Jane doesn't love Peter until she finds out he is Spider-Man. So cliched.)
Watchmen (Only think that kept me from walking out of the theater was Rorschach, other than that, I could give a crap about anyone else in this movie)

warhorse78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:42 AM   #229
Rorschach2012
$

Captain America, Thor

Both were pretty average

Rorschach2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:26 AM   #230
Leenie
Side-Kick

Hm, some movies that come to mind ... I'll put this in chronological order:

1. Batman Returns: I think that there are good ideas and themes in this movie, and I think Michelle Pfieffer's performance is spectacular, but I think this is a really messy movie in terms of seeing these themes out. Also, I really hate the creative decisions behind The Penguin.

2. Batman Begins: In short, the first two acts of the film are overall fantastic, but things fall apart a bit in the third act. Katie Holmes was a problem, as was that damn shaky cam in the action scenes.

3. X-Men 1 & 2: I like these movies, I acknowledge what they did for comic book movies, and you get some really great performances from Hugh Jackman, Ian McKellen, and Patrick Stewart. These movies don't 100% "feel" like true X-Men movies to me, though. I think they're good, but I personally want more in an X-Men movie. I'm very much looking forward to Days of Future Past, because I think that one has the potential to really feel like a true X-Men movie. Fingers crossed! I also hope that Rogue actually gets to do something of worth in this new movie. She's my favorite, and I've yet to be happy with her portrayal on the big screen.

4. Superman Returns: Granted, the film isn't overrated now, but I remember how much the fanboys raved about it back in 2006. I never liked the film. Such a snoozefest. I remember when X-Men: The Last Stand came out in the same year, and I ended up liking that movie more than Superman Returns. Go figure.

5. The Amazing Spider-Man: I think this movie is overrated with fanboys. The "general audience" people I've talked to about this movie say it isn't as good as "The ones with Tobey Maguire." Anyway, I have a lot of issues with this movie, and I dislike the film more now than I did when I first saw it. As I allowed the movie to brew/simmer in my brain after seeing it for the first time, the angrier I got.

To sum up my grievances about ASM quickly, I remember reading a Tweet that summed up the movie perfectly (in my opinion): "The Amazing Spider-Man is like they remade yesterday's eggs, only sadder." From what I've been reading and seeing for the sequel, though, I have hopes that some problems will be fixed. The next movie looks like it'll at least be fun. As long as I'm actually having fun watching Spidey kick some butt, I won't complain.

6. The Dark Knight Rises: I like this movie, but I acknowledge that it has a ton of problems. Nolan seemed like he phoned in this one, in my opinion. Granted, Nolan phoning in will produce a better movie than most, but after The Dark Knight (a movie I consider to be undoubtedly one of the best in the genre; a masterpiece, even), I wish TDKR had more to it. It's a big and loud blockbuster, but it's still fun. Though I can't help but laugh when some fanboys try to compare this to The Avengers with doozies like, "The Avengers was a great movie, but The Dark Knight Rises is a great film." B**ch, please.

Though, I must add: Hans Zimmer outdid himself with the TDKR soundtrack. It's so. Freakin'. Good.

(6) Captain America: The Winter Soldier, (7) Kick-Ass, (8) Batman (1989),
(9) Captain America: The First Avenger, (10) Superman
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:37 AM   #231
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leenie View Post
2. Batman Begins: In short, the first two acts of the film are overall fantastic, but things fall apart a bit in the third act. Katie Holmes was a problem, as was that damn shaky cam in the action scenes.

Completely agree with this. Loved acts 1 and 2, act 3 lost me completely and I couldn't wait for the movie to end. That said movie set up how good Batman could be and I feel the exact same thing with ASM. Really enjoyed acts 1 and 2, 3rd act lost me be the movie showed the potential of Spider-Man can be especially when not held back by and origin story.

spider-neil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:40 AM   #232
Green Goblin
Not the Hobgoblin!

Spider-Man 2: watched it again and it's not as great as I remember. Mary Jane Was a B**** and the chemistry between them delt forced at times. For the first hour Peter stayed the same as he was pre-bite and lacked the Witt of his CB counter part.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:17 AM   #233
Rorschach2012
$

Yeah I'm sorry, I love Spider Man 2, but I really think its overrated too. it is a very good movie, but it doesn't have the rewatchability factor.

Spider Man 2 is considered the best Spider Man film, and I might agree with that, but the one I enjoy watching the most is the original, i can pop that movie in whenever

Rorschach2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:51 AM   #234
First Avenger
Side-Kick

Spider-Man 2
TDKR
MOS

First Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:14 AM   #235
Green Goblin
Not the Hobgoblin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
Completely agree with this. Loved acts 1 and 2, act 3 lost me completely and I couldn't wait for the movie to end. That said movie set up how good Batman could be and I feel the exact same thing with ASM. Really enjoyed acts 1 and 2, 3rd act lost me be the movie showed the potential of Spider-Man can be especially when not held back by and origin story.
And Amazing 2 won't be an origin

Old 08-11-2013, 07:09 AM   #236
Doc Ock
The Desolation of Spidey

The Dark Knight Trilogy, particularly the later two installments. Everyone I know loves these films to high heaven, and I understand why they are good movies but I don't consider them the type of comic book movies others should follow. I want comic book movies to be comic book movies, including the crazy fantasy and sci-fi elements and not creating this mainly realistic or grounded take on a characters world.

I consider it a good experiment. But shouldn't be what DC continues to follow.

A Member of Raimi's "Spider-Man Trilogy" Fans | YOU MUST WATCH DOCTOR WHO | Love Smallville | I still believe in heroes Marvel Studios.
Doc Ock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 12:51 PM   #237
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Ock View Post
The Dark Knight Trilogy, particularly the later two installments. Everyone I know loves these films to high heaven, and I understand why they are good movies but I don't consider them the type of comic book movies others should follow. I want comic book movies to be comic book movies, including the crazy fantasy and sci-fi elements and not creating this mainly realistic or grounded take on a characters world.

Nolan made Batman feel 'real' as such I was totally engrossed with watch I was watching. Now I'm not saying superhero movies should be dark and gritty but I absolutely believe all superhero movie would benefit from being 'played straight' I.e. how would we react to seeing a man crawling on a ceiling or a man flying? Personally speaking I can't stand 'cheese' when I watch a CBM or actors 'hamming it up'.

spider-neil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 12:54 PM   #238
jonathancrane
Side-Kick

1. Batman Begins
2. Spider-Man 2
3. Iron Man

*I will forgive the writers of Man of Steel, if Superman is the Enlightened Sun God he is supposed to be, in Superman vs. Batman. Quite simply, Superman does not kill. The writers of MOS failed to grasp this, to this film's detriment.
Favorite CBMs: 1) X2 2) The Avengers 3) CA:TWS 4) Watchmen 5) Batman: MOTP 6) The Dark Knight Rises 7) Thor: TDW 8) TASM 9) IM3 10) S/B: Apocalypse
jonathancrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 12:56 PM   #239
Green Goblin
Not the Hobgoblin!

Quote:

the latter two (TDK anyway) are fantastic, but perhaps mediocre CB adaptions.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:57 PM   #240
YavinIV
Newbie First Class

Quote:

Agreed. However, I liked the "let's be realistic"-style a lot but I thought that in this particular trilogy it came off as an attempt to make Batman interesting enough in order to have as many people get to see the film, hence buy tickets. My friends love the films, they suddenly love Batman even though they'd never actually looked into the franchise to begin with. What they declared dull, silly and childish before, has now become extremely likeable.

YavinIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 02:40 PM   #241
Human Torch
I Can't Dance

Quote:

Human Torch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:51 PM   #242
Squaremaster316
Side-Kick

If anything, there should be more CBM's that follow the Nolan trilogy's aesthetic.

Nolan's films aren't just the best quality films of the genre, IMO, but are also the most refreshing from a stylistic point of view.

There are far too many films that have the same light, breezy tone as one another.

Avengers/Marvel studios = Fantastic 4 = Ghost Rider = Spider-Man = Green Lantern. Not in quality of plots or characters, mind you, but in style.

Not to say that this style should be abolished, but it's a style that is utilized in overabundance and it's rendering the genre as stale in that regard.

Squaremaster316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:26 PM   #243
Thoix
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squaremaster316 View Post
If anything, there should be more CBM's that follow the Nolan trilogy's aesthetic.

Nolan's films aren't just the best quality films of the genre, IMO, but are also the most refreshing from a stylistic point of view.

There are far too many films that have the same light, breezy tone as one another.

Avengers/Marvel studios = Fantastic 4 = Ghost Rider = Spider-Man = Green Lantern. Not in quality of plots or characters, mind you, but in style.

Not to say that this style should be abolished, but it's a style that is utilized in overabundance and it's rendering the genre as stale in that regard.

Thoix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:53 AM   #244
Green Goblin
Not the Hobgoblin!

The Dark Knight Rises would be Number one

Old 08-30-2013, 07:25 AM   #245
jacobed
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Avengers easy. Man this movie was just completely dull to me. Didn't care about any of the characters and if your name wasn't Iron Man you didn't get anything to do. Aka Cap and Thor. Loki was a boring villain who didn't do anything and they ruined his whole character for a stupid joke. Facepalming conclusion. The aliens were boring and didn't do anything.

Batman and Batman Returns. Just don't like Keaton, yeah I said it, nor the direction of either. Hate hate that Batman is a secondary character in those movies.

Raimi's Trilogy. Just too dumb and corny. Even as a young lad, I hated how corny and unbelievable they are.

Iron Man trilogy especially the last 2. Can't stand Tony Stark hes a unlikable douche who just talks really fast. I find it to be very annoying and I end up just counting down the minutes til he is offscreen.

jacobed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:14 AM   #246
shiva666
art designer

Avengers

shiva666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:21 AM   #247
Goshdarn Batman
Hm...?

Kick-Ass: sadistic and unfunny crap.

Oldboy: disgusting and sick. I can write a better ending with my ass.

300: disturbing and ugly. But the battle scenes are good.

Sin City: like the comic, gory, stupid and perverted.

V for Vendetta. If 300 give conservatives boners, this one is a liberal's wet dream.

The Dark Knight: not a bad movie, but it IS overrated.

Watchmen: liked it, but it is full of unnecessary changes, and some scenes are just too gory.

Goshdarn Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:31 PM   #248
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiva666 View Post
Avengers
So much this ^^^ Was simply a fun by-the-numbers action comedy but with superheroes and lots of CGI

Professor Xavier: I feel a great swell of pity for the poor fool who comes to that school... looking for trouble.
CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:00 PM   #249
DACrowe
Side-Kick

If just based on the fan community--as the GA really has not raved years later about any of them, other than the very not-overrated TDK and TDKR classics--I would say:

1. The Avengers: I like the movie. I own the movie. It is a terrific piece of popcorn entertainment...but there is not much plot to speak of and it certainly drags for much of the first 70 or 80 minutes until they're all on the Hellicarrier, and even then things like Agent Coulson's death ring a little hollow.

A good movie that has iconic visuals and terrific Whedon dialogue? Sure. "This generation's Star Wars?" Hardly.

2. The Amazing Spider-Man: This is a bad movie. But because it has no elements of camp and Peter Parker makes quips, fans have convinced themselves it is good. 'Nuff said.

3. Superman II: A fun movie. But it is not as good as STM, because while Zod is great, the pacing drags big time in the second act and Superman/Lois really is not that interesting. Again, I like this movie, but when I see some call it the best superhero sequel of all time I suppress an eye roll.

4. Iron Man (2008): Another movie that I like. I just don't see why so many consider it a masterpiece. Jon Favreau borrowed the formula from Richard Donner, with all the flourishes and added ironing provided for by Sam Raimi and Chris Nolan...and that's it. Story wise, it is almost the same plot as BB, the real stand out is RDJ. He is amazing in the role and makes a decent film great. But not the best origin story ever and certainly not one that reinvents the wheel. Honestly, you can turn the movie off after Tony saves the F-22s because the third act is just a mess, save for Jeff Bridges' one great moment when he steals Tony's reactor.

5. Captain America: A totally mediocre and forgettable film, yet some love it because it is set in the 1940s. That doesn't make it good when the plot literally stops halfway through and it turns into a 60 minute prologue to The Avengers. If you want a good pulpy comic book film, check out the director's other, superior, variation on the subject: The Rocketeer.

My two cents on the topic.

--John Adams

Last edited by DACrowe; 08-31-2013 at 03:04 PM.
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:03 PM   #250
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlueWonder View Post
the latter two (TDK anyway) are fantastic, but perhaps mediocre CB adaptions.
This is probably not the thread for it, but I strongly disagree. Indeed, prior to Marvel's new phases, I'd say Nolan more than any other filmmaker drew directly from the source material. He may have toned everything down visually or with exposition, but he took directly from about seven iconic Batman stories and graphic novels when he made his trilogy, and it shows.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote