The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: How do you think Man of Steel will do?
1.5 billion 11 5.85%
1 billion 27 14.36%
900 million 13 6.91%
800 million 35 18.62%
700 million 41 21.81%
600 million 29 15.43%
500 million 18 9.57%
400 million 8 4.26%
300 million 2 1.06%
200 million 4 2.13%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 10:09 PM   #701
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - - - - - Part 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenKToo View Post
still, its the 2nd highest grossing reboot ever, 1st in dom for a reboot.
I have to think that with WB being so he11 bent on making a JL film, that a batman/superman film was always the plan for the next film. Heck, I wouldnt be surprised if WF can make as much, or more, than a JL film.

I mean MoS has made more than x-men, the hulk, blade, thor, cap america, the first IM, wolverine, etc, and they all got, or are getting, sequels.
a reboot in the hulks case, but still, mos made more than TIH also.

No, I think WF is and was WB's plan all along to counter Avengers 2.
I think most studios would love to be disappointed with a ( so far) 650 million take
Also, wb got something like 150 mill from the marketing partners before mos was even released. so they arent hurting a bit.

Robinov was excited, but he should have kept that to himself..i'll give you that.
Those are not the best comparisons. Some of those were b/c-list superheroes before their movies. In fact, with inflation and 3D boost, the first IM may have made around the same amount as MOS.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:03 PM   #702
John-An
Gal/Margot World's Finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Marvel View Post
Those are not the best comparisons. Some of those were b/c-list superheroes before their movies. In fact, with inflation and 3D boost, the first IM may have made around the same amount as MOS.
Don't be so sure.. MOS had to battle with blockbusters movies... things that IM didn't do...

Last edited by John-An; 08-06-2013 at 11:06 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:51 PM   #703
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKKS085 View Post
I think this is precisely where Warner failed big time when eveything else on their end (especially the domestic marketing campaign) was top notch.

I can see why they decided to favor Pacif Rim over Man Of Steel but their lack of faith in character clearly dragged MoS' performance down while PR failed to meet their expectations too.

They put themselves in a situation in wich they can only be dissapointed.
Serve them right then!!!

I think their excessive greediness (speed up for WF n JL) will bring them a total disaster, destroying all the DC superheroes franchises including MOS n Batman.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:23 AM   #704
Jaxon
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Marvel View Post
and there was no "superhero" fatigue at that point which might be starting to creep into audiences

Old 08-07-2013, 09:53 AM   #705
JKKS085
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by juansuperiron20 View Post
Don't be so sure.. MOS had to battle with blockbusters movies... things that IM didn't do...
Sure, The Chronicles Of Narnia: The Prince Caspian (419M), Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull (786M) and Sex And The City (415M) were all small indie movies.

While World War Z (488M) and Monsters University (613M) were the biggest competition ever. I've heard this fairytale before.

Old 08-07-2013, 12:04 PM   #706
dalonewolf
Side-Kick

Quote:
Sure, The Chronicles Of Narnia: The Prince Caspian (419M), Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull (786M) and Sex And The City (415M) were all small indie movies.

While World War Z (488M) and Monsters University (613M) were the biggest competition ever. I've heard this fairytale before.
u forget the other 8 titles mos legs got cut off by all those new releases

Old 08-07-2013, 12:40 PM   #707
JKKS085
Side-Kick

The point is every movie faces competition during summer. There is no such thing as a safe spot.

MoS being more broadly appealing/better received it would have at least limited the damages instead of just tanking during its second week end. For instance Iron Man (wich was a second tier player before his movie unlike let's say ... Superman) eased 35,8% the week end Indiana Jones 4 was released after holding great two week ends in a row.

The competition is definitely not an excuse. There are new releases every week and every single movie has to face this kind of challenge. I just hate when people use WWZ and MU as an excuse for MoS weak legs.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:01 PM   #708
John-An

Quote:

Well was there a competition 1 week after? no I don't think so...

Old 08-07-2013, 01:50 PM   #709
Max Newlander
Side-Kick

Quote:
The point is every movie faces competition during summer. There is no such thing as a safe spot.

MoS being more broadly appealing/better received it would have at least limited the damages instead of just tanking during its second week end. For instance Iron Man (wich was a second tier player before his movie unlike let's say ... Superman) eased 35,8% the week end Indiana Jones 4 was released after holding great two week ends in a row.

The competition is definitely not an excuse. There are new releases every week and every single movie has to face this kind of challenge. I just hate when people use WWZ and MU as an excuse for MoS weak legs.
Agree 100%, competition isn't why MoS under performed (after a decent 1st week). Would Superman fans have been happy with a WW performance of below 700m before release? Nope. It's a decent haul of money, but if this film was as amazing as the ultra positive fanboys say then WOM would have been awesome and BO performance would have been great. It wasn't particularly well received (critically or WOM with the general public - non CBM fans) It fell off a cliff second week. Also comparing it to Thor or Caps etc is silly, this is Superman. TAS (a better measure) was also a pretty poor film after an even more recent disappointment (Spider 3 and also having 3 films within 10 years) and WW it even managed to have the legs on MoS. No matter the positivity or the blinkered (this film is 10/10) attitude this movie didn't do what any CBM fanboy thought.. The film wasn't nearly as good as it thought it was, and the general public didn't floak over and over to see it.

Before some overly sensitive MoS fanboy jumps on the 'Im a troll' bandwagon.. Im not. I'm giving my opinion in good faith. It was successful to a point, but it wasn't Superman successful.

They say you should triple a production budget to see a films profitability point. (Large scale movies due to marketing etc) In that respect the film hasn't over achieved like some people would love us all to believe.

It didn't do as well as it could have because it just wasn't a good enough movie. IMO. Not because of poor marketing, poor date, or hard competition.

The Dark Knight, 9/10

Superman: The Movie, 8.5/10

Batman Begins, 8.5/10
Old 08-07-2013, 04:59 PM   #710
dalonewolf
Side-Kick

Quote:

so your saying mos didnt loose most of its screens. by week 3
by the 4th week of release I think it was already down more than half of its screens
its very hard to hold good legs when your vewings are to a minimum
iron man 3 had 3 weeks before any big release movies and didnt even face comp like mos did
dont get me wrong I was the one who said the movie was gonna make a billion but didnt realize how fast mos was gonna loose its screens
irom man 1-2 only had 2-3 movies of competition
but mos had 8 in less than 21 days of its release
but im more than happy with the 650mil ww right now it shows that
mos 2/superman/batman/wf
has the potential to go higher
and by the way a sequel is on the way for those who didnt know and believe this movie was a failure

Old 08-07-2013, 05:11 PM   #711
JKKS085
Side-Kick

Quote:
Well was there a competition 1 week after? no I don't think so...
Well did any of MoS' direct competition made 700M+, I don't think so...
Competition is competition, a week or two after.
IM crushed its direct competition or hold fairly well against it, an Indiana Jones movie among other blockbusters, despite being a second tier, widely unknown character with no star power. MoS on the other hand couldn't compete against a disaster movie with only a decent reception, and the prequel from a 12 year old animated movie. That should tell you something about how dear the general audience holds MoS.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:22 PM   #712
John-An

Quote:
Well did any of MoS' direct competition made 700M+, I don't think so...
Competition is competition, a week or two after.
IM crushed its direct competition or hold fairly well against it, an Indiana Jones movie among other blockbusters, despite being a second tier, widely unknown character with no star power. MoS on the other hand couldn't compete against a disaster movie with only a decent reception, and the prequel from a 12 year old animated movie. That should tell you something about how dear the general audience holds MoS.
but if IM would have fought against those movies... IM B.O. would be so much worse.... MONSTERS U was a difficult one as type of toy story G.A. wanted to see it not 3 movies and nothing else to tell as IJ right?

Old 08-07-2013, 05:30 PM   #713
JKKS085
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalonewolf View Post
so your saying mos didnt loose most of its screens. by week 3
by the 4th week of release I think it was already down more than half of its screens
its very hard to hold good legs when your vewings are to a minimum
iron man 3 had 3 weeks before any big release movies and didnt even face comp like mos did
dont get me wrong I was the one who said the movie was gonna make a billion but didnt realize how fast mos was gonna loose its screens
irom man 1-2 only had 2-3 movies of competition
but mos had 8 in less than 21 days of its release
but im more than happy with the 650mil ww right now it shows that
mos 2/superman/batman/wf
has the potential to go higher
and by the way a sequel is on the way for those who didnt know and believe this movie was a failure
I'm saying, had it been a better/better received/more broadly appealing film (strike out what does not apply), it would have kept its screens despite new releases. It's not rocket science, if the demand stood at a higher level it wouldn't have lost so many screens to the competition, especially that fast.

As for the numbers I don't know exactly how that translates in terms of actual screens but its theater count by the 4th week of its release was 2,905 wich compares to the 4,207 theaters it opened in. It's still more than half its original count. And MoS lost those screen because its avg/theater was already fairly low during week 3, not entirely because of the competition.

Now just like you I'm really happy with the numbers we got, wich is just on par with my early predictions and I never thought the movie had the potential to go much higher than that (because it's reboot, because of Superman Returns and because the character needed to be introduced to an entirely new audience).

However, it's now clear that WB is not exactly happy with how things turned out and they are more inclined to build upon and use what MoS created to expand their universe instead of giving it proper sequel (and I regret that despite the fact that I'm extremely excited by their Batman/Superman film).

Last edited by JKKS085; 08-07-2013 at 06:57 PM.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:35 PM   #714
JKKS085
Side-Kick

Quote:
but if IM would have fought against those movies... IM B.O. would be so much worse.... MONSTERS U was a difficult one as type of toy story G.A. wanted to see it not 3 movies and nothing else to tell as IJ right?
Whatever suits your views brother. If you'd like to think that IM's numbers wouldn't have hold agains WWZ and MU, despite missing some facts or reasonning to support that funny theory of yours, more power to you.

PS: but just so you know, Indiana Jones 4 is still bigger than MU number wise (especially in the US), so no I don't exactly grasp how MU was tougher competition.

Old 08-07-2013, 06:01 PM   #715
dalonewolf
Side-Kick

Quote:
I'm saying, had it been a better/better received/more broadly appealing film (strike out what does not apply), it would have kept its screens despite new releases. It's not rocket science, if the demand stood at a higher level it wouldn't have lost so many screens to the competition, especially that fast.

As for the numbers I don't know exactly how that translates in terms of actual screens but its theater count by the 4th week of its release was 2,905 wich compares to the 4,207 theaters it opened in. It's still more than half its original count. And MoS lost those screen because its avg/theater was already fairly low during week 3, not entirely because of the competition.

Now just like you I'm really happy with the numbers we got, wich is just on par with my early predictions and I never thought the movie had the potential to go much higher than that (because it's reboot, because of Superman Returns and because the character needed to be introduces to an entirely new audience).

However, it's now clear that WB is not exactly happy with how things turned out and they are more inclined to build upon and use what MoS created to expand their universe instead of giving it proper sequel (and I regret that despite the fact that I'm extremely excited by their Batman/Superman film).
I truly believe Batman was always in the plans
I think the road warner is taking is not to do a solo flim for batman but a team up this is a way for them to bring batman back into a franchise quickly
they dont want thier billion dollar baby sitting around like some second grade cartoon character thats been sitting on the shelf
and plus there's the JL movie that is 2nd or 3rd on the list
and you cant have a proper justice league without batman so if u dont have the time or the budget to fit him in within the next 3-5 years so introduce him with mos sequel and do another character you can move on to the JL
I know we all want a team of 5-6 but I really think they are going for a 3-4 possibility and add the rest on the sequel that will be fast tracked for a 2 year later release and
in. between GL and flash can be introduce and more in the sequel

that sounds like a plan to me

Last edited by dalonewolf; 08-07-2013 at 06:05 PM.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:04 PM   #716
STARMAN
Side-Kick

Iron Man was better received by GA than MOS. It's box office was 318 which would have been closer to 340 with inflation.

In it's second week Iron Man competed with What Happens in Vegas and Speed Racer. It didn't compete with Narnia until week 3 and with Indiana Jones until week 4. By then it had plenty of good word of mouth and positive momentum.

Old 08-07-2013, 06:38 PM   #717
JKKS085
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARMAN View Post
Iron Man was better received by GA than MOS. It's box office was 318 which would have been closer to 340 with inflation.

In it's second week Iron Man competed with What Happens in Vegas and Speed Racer. It didn't compete with Narnia until week 3 and with Indiana Jones until week 4. By then it had plenty of good word of mouth and positive momentum.
It would actually be 361 without the 3D boost.
Now of course Iron Man didn't compete with Narnia and Indiana Jones during its second week, however neither of them cut its leg off the week end of their releases.

That was my entire point. You can't use competition as an excuse for MoS' multiplier and comparing it to Iron Man while suggesting that its performance is somehow the result of some lack of competition is ludicrous. IM faced strong competition and held against it.

Last edited by JKKS085; 08-07-2013 at 06:54 PM.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:42 PM   #718
STARMAN
Side-Kick

I've said time and again how impressed I was with the first Iron Man's box office.

Old 08-07-2013, 06:45 PM   #719
STARMAN
Side-Kick

And yes. Iron Man would have made 361,861,400 with inflation.

Old 08-07-2013, 06:50 PM   #720
JKKS085
Side-Kick

Quote:
I truly believe Batman was always in the plans
I think the road warner is taking is not to do a solo flim for batman but a team up this is a way for them to bring batman back into a franchise quickly
they dont want thier billion dollar baby sitting around like some second grade cartoon character thats been sitting on the shelf
and plus there's the JL movie that is 2nd or 3rd on the list
and you cant have a proper justice league without batman so if u dont have the time or the budget to fit him in within the next 3-5 years so introduce him with mos sequel and do another character you can move on to the JL
I know we all want a team of 5-6 but I really think they are going for a 3-4 possibility and add the rest on the sequel that will be fast tracked for a 2 year later release and
in. between GL and flash can be introduce and more in the sequel

that sounds like a plan to me
Really I would love to trust that story. However Snyder's more recent reaction lead to me to think that a Batman/Superman follow up to Man Of Steel has not been in the works for as long as you think it was (or the script would've been finished when they announced it).

Now I do think it's a smart move business-wise, especially when you have to face some tough competition (Avengers 2), even though I truely believe that it would have been more natural story-wise to follow with at least one other Superman installment.

What I don't agree with though is that every character needs some kind of introduction before Justice League. Batman is a well established character whose origin is widely known so you don't really think you need a stand-alone film (or a crossover for that matter) just to introduce him. Same thing goes with Flash and Wonder Woman who are pop culture icons. An animated film such as New Frontier shows perfectly that you don't need to dispay every character's origin to tell a compelling story about the Justice League.

To be honest I have no idea how Batman is supposed to fit in the universe set by MoS and my fear right now is that it won't be exactly thematically organic with all the things they need to adress after the events of Man of Steel. And I do hope Goyer can prove me wrong (even if I don't set my hopes up too high given the quality of his work on MoS).

Last edited by JKKS085; 08-07-2013 at 06:58 PM.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:59 PM   #721
John-An

Quote:
Whatever suits your views brother. If you'd like to think that IM's numbers wouldn't have hold agains WWZ and MU, despite missing some facts or reasonning to support that funny theory of yours, more power to you.

PS: but just so you know, Indiana Jones 4 is still bigger than MU number wise (especially in the US), so no I don't exactly grasp how MU was tougher competition.
well respected... but don't agreed

Old 08-07-2013, 07:40 PM   #722
dalonewolf
Side-Kick

Doh Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - - - - - Part 14

Quote:
Really I would love to trust that story. However Snyder's more recent reaction lead to me to think that a Batman/Superman follow up to Man Of Steel has not been in the works for as long as you think it was (or the script would've been finished when they announced it).

Now I do think it's a smart move business-wise, especially when you have to face some tough competition (Avengers 2), even though I truely believe that it would have been more natural story-wise to follow with at least one other Superman installment.

What I don't agree with though is that every character needs some kind of introduction before Justice League. Batman is a well established character whose origin is widely known so you don't really think you need a stand-alone film (or a crossover for that matter) just to introduce him. Same thing goes with Flash and Wonder Woman who are pop culture icons. An animated film such as New Frontier shows perfectly that you don't need to dispay every character's origin to tell a compelling story about the Justice League.

To be honest I have no idea how Batman is supposed to fit in the universe set by MoS and my fear right now is that it won't be exactly thematically organic with all the things they need to adress after the events of Man of Steel. And I do hope Goyer can prove me wrong (even if I don't set my hopes up too high given the quality of his work on MoS).
the script not being done could be a good thing meaning goyer is taking his time
so how does that mean batman wasn't a part of it as for my understanding a Wayne satellite was the refence to tell fans hey batman is coming for those who caught it
mos. had more dc refence than people. think for instance I notice that victor stone was playing football on the tv when zod interrupted the program
and then lex crop truck and buildings
even had a booster gold hint and a batman one two when zod shot his laser eyes in the building on the wall was a beware the batman sign
and yew dc characters need thier own flims it would make the franchise more solid the last thing WB wants is a cramp up story of 6 individuals now with a batman. reboot and a proper wonder woman you can do the big 3 it would sale trust me
but lets not forget you can always do the big 3 flims and ad 2 more in JL
that will.not make it feel all over the placei can live with a big 3 flim as well
and between the sequel do solo flash and green Lantern

Old 08-07-2013, 07:54 PM   #723
dalonewolf
Side-Kick

1. be honest I have no idea how Batman is supposed to fit in the universe set by MoS and my fear right now is that it won't be exactly thematically organic with all the things they need to adress after the events of Man of Steel. And I do hope Goyer can prove me wrong (even if I don't set my hopes up too high given the quality of his work on MoS).[/QUOTE
  2. you must still be stuck on Nolan's batman that was a realistic take on batman the real batman is very aerobatic and smart and build his own toys and have a batwing that actually looks like a bat he has suits that makes him a challenge to superpower beings beings after seeing how Snyder turned superman into. a bad ass character I can already see how his batman will turn out to be. a awsome ass batman

Old 08-07-2013, 08:16 PM   #724
JKKS085
Side-Kick

Quote:
so how does that mean batman wasn't a part of it as for my understanding a Wayne satellite was the refence to tell fans hey batman is coming for those who caught it
Snyder saying that despite his personnale views of how things should have been handled post MoS he will have to go along with WB's decision on making a Batman/Superman movie leads me to think that it wasn't exactly always the plan (and mentionning that he seems a bit reluctant towards it).
And if memory serves there was a few Superman references in Batman Forever. See how it turned out.
I don't think an easter egg, and especially something like a logo on a satellite that could've been a last minute addition necessarely means "we have a crossover coming your way and we thought about it awhile ago".

Quote:
and yew dc characters need thier own flims it would make the franchise more solid the last thing WB wants is a cramp up story of 6 individuals now with a batman.
Well we will have to agree to disagree on this one. There are plenty examples both in comic books and animated films that shows/proves otherwise.

Last edited by JKKS085; 08-07-2013 at 08:24 PM.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:22 PM   #725
JKKS085
Side-Kick

Quote:
  1. be honest I have no idea how Batman is supposed to fit in the universe set by MoS and my fear right now is that it won't be exactly thematically organic with all the things they need to adress after the events of Man of Steel. And I do hope Goyer can prove me wrong (even if I don't set my hopes up too high given the quality of his work on MoS).[/QUOTE
  2. you must still be stuck on Nolan's batman that was a realistic take on batman the real batman is very aerobatic and smart and build his own toys and have a batwing that actually looks like a bat he has suits that makes him a challenge to superpower beings beings after seeing how Snyder turned superman into. a bad ass character I can already see how his batman will turn out to be. a awsome ass batman
Please don't condescend. I've been a Batman reader since I was around like 8 years old. Far before Nolan I grew up with the Burton films and Batman TAS, I have loved Miller's Year One, Morrison's Bat God and so on and so forth. So the last thing I am is stuck with one director's vision. My concern lies more with the way the character will thematically fit with MoS' events than how he will be depicted.

Last edited by JKKS085; 08-08-2013 at 07:40 AM.
Closed Thread