The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 08-07-2013, 10:57 AM   #26
Tra-El
Side-Kick

Default Re: Would you do anything differently in MoS?

Longer flashback extensions. Loved the way the movie was set up with flashbacks. It worked perfectly with Superman than it would any other hero and flashbacks allowed the Clark Kent character reminisce his distance from humanity.

However, I believe they lacked longevity in screen time in the flashbacks to really feel every emotion for the audience to latch on. I thought it was great, but I could see how the execution was too subtle for everybody to fully buy into.

Though Hans Zimmer soundtrack as a whole hit many strings, I think, overall, the score fell flat in many areas and because of this, I think the film suffered in some instances. If there was a letdown for me, it was the soundtrack. I wanted to notice it but instead, it felt in the background when it should have resonated. I think that's why the trailers were so emotional. The scores Snyder used were heartwarming and emotional. Didn't get that much from Zimmer's style here.

I would have saved Superman's money-shot in the suite. With an important icon like Supes, the reveal of him in his suite should of been an impactful moment. Instead, we literally seen it scene for scene in the trailers. As a result, the reveal felt more downplayed and not heart pumping as it should have been. They should have saved that for a first-time viewing and had it locked in the archives.

The aftermath of Zod's death or any mention of Supes acknowledging guilt should have been in there, only if it were short and sweet. When Clark and Ma were at the cemetery watching over Pa Kents tombstone, I thought Clark would atleast grieve about what happened or gave some type of reference to the battle and destruction that took place, but that never came. I didn't have a problem, but it was noticeable.

Other than that, for all the reasons why people and fans hated on Man of Steel, I absolutley loved. The acting was top notch, the story took a turn where I least expected it, the writers were ballsy enough to reach a controversial ending and Henry Cavill as Superman was absolutley fantastic.

There were faults, but at first attempt, they resurrected the Superman franchise and got people talking about Superman again. I think it's a unique film and because of that, Man of Steel was a hit for me.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:24 AM   #27
Vid Electricz
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tra-El View Post
Longer flashback extensions. Loved the way the movie was set up with flashbacks. It worked perfectly with Superman than it would any other hero and flashbacks allowed the Clark Kent character reminisce his distance from humanity.

However, I believe they lacked longevity in screen time in the flashbacks to really feel every emotion for the audience to latch on. I thought it was great, but I could see how the execution was too subtle for everybody to fully buy into.
I felt the same about the scenes between Sam and Bumblebee in the Transformers movies.

Vid Electricz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:17 PM   #28
manofsteel4life
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
Make Jonathan Kent a little.... better at clarifying himself. Yes he WANTS Clark to help people, but he mustn't be stupid able it etc.

Have them show the distance being far, between Clark and Jonathan when the tornado takes him. I'd ultimately prefer indecision and fear combining to make Clark too late/slow to save him.

Take out the Superman/Lois kiss. Have then together same scene but have Superman look around distraught. Have him say something that shows his sadness and possible guilt at helping cause the devastation. Only then (if you have to) have them kiss.

Take out the coughing at the world engine. Or at least so it properly. Shorten the fight against the self defense nanotechnology squid.

Have him smother Zod's eyes as he snaps his neck; that heat vision flame has to go somewhere when Zod's head is jerked around. Gets his hand burned for it.

Show there was a longish delay between end of battle and Daily Planet entrance, partly by him waiting for his hand to heal (for example - something to show they're a little more upbeat because it's been a while)
.....wow...it's amazing how us fans can come up with better situations than people who are paid to do this....you should be brought in for the sequel Bren....

Old 08-07-2013, 03:38 PM   #29
Xak-Ell
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallville fan View Post
Well Superman's story is intrinsically a science fiction story. The minute you stick in aliens and spaceships it pretty much is in this case.
but over time, people stopped seeing it that way. why? i dunno. ask them

Xak-Ell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:19 PM   #30
The Batman
The Dark Knight

The whole thing, really. Make a Superman film that's less like John Bryne's Man of Steel/Earth One and more like All Star Superman.

The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:08 AM   #31
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Make the movie brighter, vibrant and colorful. Put some undies on that costume. Brightened the Costume. Add none slap stick oriented humor for comic relief to break up the monotony. Have more character interactions and character development. Have 100% of the collateral damage in populated areas feel completely unavoidable from Superman's stand point (I want the damage to happen but I want Superman to try and fail to stop it).

Having said all that I still love this movie to death.

Loki: i have an army
Tony Stark: we have a hulk!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Smashlilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:17 PM   #32
John Lambert
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallville fan View Post
Not really. I thought Zod was a great 1st villain and I liked the film and the directions it took. If I really had to add more, I'd establish Clark as more of a silent savior among the people, think Red-Blue Blur from Smallville. Basically have more scenes like the Oil Rig sequence where this random guy always shows up saving people. As well as that have more flashback sequences. Although I liked the Zod fight, it does mean that the possibility of doing a Superman/Doomsday fight in the future might end up being moot as we already got that kind of fight, so maybe change up the Zod fight somehow or do something different if they ever want to bring in Doomsady for a future movie.
Lois did imply that there were a lot more saves. I wish they would have not gone so fast through the "Lois is hunting down the alien" sequence. Maybe shown us more of how she tracked back. That way we could have learned a bit more about previous saves.

John Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:21 PM   #33
John Lambert
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by manofsteel4life View Post
I would've started on the fishing boat, then tell the whole kyrpton back story when Clark found the ship
I think I actually liked the order they did things in, but I have to say I would prefer this change to doing it all in a line. I thought the flashbacks were really good, and definitely prefer that to a progress through time. I especially loved the way they did the first flash-back. Martha helping young Clark at school, and consoling sensory-overloaded Clark were just wonderful scenes.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:24 PM   #34
John Lambert
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motown Marvel View Post
First of all i'd have superman in the movie, who was terribly absent in Man of Steel.
What are you talking about. He saves the people on the oil rig, on the bus, he saves soldiers, he saves Lois Lane, he saves the whole world from an explosion. Superman was clearly there.

Who was adsent was "Clark Kent", at least his reporter persona, until the end. I would have preferred a treatment with more Clark the reporter, but I am ok with how they did it, and they definitely left me wanting more.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:03 PM   #35
Steamteck
Side-Kick

The reaction of the critics who can't get over Chris Reeve and idiot man luthor. Seriously maybe a few nitpicky things but nothing comes to mind right off. Pa's death scene might have been better paced but otherwise its the Superman movie I've been waiting 40+ years to see.

Steamteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:32 PM   #36
Szetsilya
Lois Lane --> Leia Lane

Ok update
1. Recast Lois Lane with Rachel McAdams or Natalie Dormer
2. Get rid of and slap whoever came up with the shanking camera for up close flying scenes.
3. Improve the editing and pacing specially on Krypton where it seemed Kal El's birth to the destruction of Krypton was just one day.
4. Completely change JKs death.
5. Think about having Superman appear before the invasion; not have a huge gap between the events, maybe just a month or two.

Szetsilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:12 PM   #37
NewYorkSpider
We're Doomed

Superman's first flight. I hated how he was laughing when he first flew.

The trucker scene should have been cut.

Less action with better pacing. I felt like I was watching a Michael Bay movie at times.

I also wanted to see Superman save an ordinary citizen before the invasion and have that person fear him.

NewYorkSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 04:21 PM   #38
Szetsilya
Lois Lane --> Leia Lane

Him smiling and laughing while flying was awesome.
Also someone mentioned that Supes had should be burned or damaged if he covered Zod's eyes. I wonder if Kryptonians get physical damaged by heat vision; Supes directed it at Faora and the Kryptonain giant ( Non/Namek IDK) and it hurt them but didn't cause any visible injuries.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:35 AM   #39
sf2
Side-Kick

I would only add some superman saving scenes at the end credits.
I think people go for a superman movie and wanna see all these little saving deeds by superman. But MOS doesn't have it. Thus people get a little disappointed n it hurts the box office a little.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:03 AM   #40
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2 View Post
I would only add some superman saving scenes at the end credits.
I think people go for a superman movie and wanna see all these little saving deeds by superman. But MOS doesn't have it. Thus people get a little disappointed n it hurts the box office a little.
But while they're at that, why don't just have those scenes, you know, IN the movie?

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:06 AM   #41
Glassjaw
In training

Have us get to known Henry Cavill's Clark Kent before he finds the Fortress of Solitude. We get like 3 lines out of the guy before he's flying around as Superman. I wanted the first flight to be so much more emotional, but the fact was I found myself thinking how I knew next to nothing about this Clark Kent, and yet here he was flying about in the costumer already.
We as Superman fans can forgive this as since we are fans, we are massively invested in this story. So many people watching this film didn't already have that investment though, they needed to be won over by this character, and the one presented was not able to do so.

That is why so many people's reaction to this film was that it was boring. Not because there wasn't enough action, but because there was nothing to care about.

Glassjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:12 PM   #42
RiddleMeThat
Newbie First Class

Not much honestly. It belongs in my top 5 superhero films ever. Maybe a little less time spent in Zod's ship with Lois Lane.

RiddleMeThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:22 AM   #43
Steamteck
Side-Kick

Not much for me ether. Its in my top 5 also. Obviously things that were crystal clear for me weren't for others though so maybe a little more clear exposition ( probably make it less fun for me then but at least we wouldn't get all these folks looking like they didn't actually see the movie drowning out legitimate issues people may have had)

Seriously. maybe I'd want it and the Dark knight to be judged by the same ruler. Personally I think TDK would crash and burn under its flaws but that's my take.

Steamteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:45 AM   #44
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Pleasury View Post
But while they're at that, why don't just have those scenes, you know, IN the movie?
I can only say that they are too concentrate on the main plot. You know... the zod invasion.
N this version of clark... he has embraced his alien heritage but no ready to reveal himself to the world. Only after the zod invasion, he has learned that he is ready. The world is ready.

Therefore those little saving deeds should come during the end credits.

Old 08-19-2013, 01:47 AM   #45
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassjaw View Post
Have us get to known Henry Cavill's Clark Kent before he finds the Fortress of Solitude. We get like 3 lines out of the guy before he's flying around as Superman. I wanted the first flight to be so much more emotional, but the fact was I found myself thinking how I knew next to nothing about this Clark Kent, and yet here he was flying about in the costumer already.
We as Superman fans can forgive this as since we are fans, we are massively invested in this story. So many people watching this film didn't already have that investment though, they needed to be won over by this character, and the one presented was not able to do so.

That is why so many people's reaction to this film was that it was boring. Not because there wasn't enough action, but because there was nothing to care about.
So the kid n teenage clark didn't make the audience to care about the character of clark kent???

Old 08-19-2013, 05:19 AM   #46
Superchan
Side-Kick

While I personally enjoyed the movie I can't deny that it could've been better, here are some of the changes that I'd implement:

Shorten the krypton sequence, 10 minutes tops. As much as I loved everything we got about krypton I felt that Jor-el and Zod told Clark about krypton later on in the film so there was no need for 20 minutes of it at the beginning.

Instead of having clark as a lost soul with no direction, I would've liked for him to have been a globe trotting journalist/blogger. Infact the second act would open with an adult clark in a troubled Asian or an African nation (use a ficitonal DC comics city like Byalia or Bhrutran) where he's pulling a double duty of helping the populace and trying to get the international community to pay attention through his writing.
It is at this point where we (and Clark) get to meet lois, who like clark is a fearless reporter who tends to go to hot areas around the world to raise awareness (thus giving the pair a common purpose in order to establish a connection). It is here where we can have lois and clark interact, antagonize, flirt and ultimately fall in love.

Loved the flash back sequence, but I really thought that the tornado scene could've been handled differently. Instead of Clark just standing there watching pa kent die, they could've had jon help out another person (instead of a damn dog!) and when that said person is running towards shelter he/she slips and falls and so clark runs to help carry them to the underpass and while his back is turned pa kent is suddenly killed by a flying car. And when he's telling lois about it later on, he would'nt say that I let my father die, he'd say that "I hesitated, I could've done something the second I saw that tornado but I didn't and by the time I decided to do something about it I lost my father......I hesitated because I trusted my father, who believe that the world isn't etc....

Instead of superman stupidly slamming zod into the heart of the town (killing god knows how many people) I would've had him body slam zod into the corn fields only to have the kryptonian shop blast him into the town, thus not making superman into a reckless oaf.

I'd redo the entire last 30 (mindless) minutes of the film where instead of 2 world engines, there'd be a dozen or so spread throughout the world with a very short montage of recognizable cities getting blown up. This would be in keeping with the disaster sci/fi feel the movie was going for and to also show that it wasn't just an attack on an american city (ala 9/11) but an attack against the entire globe.
In dealing with the attack superman would've flown into the fortress where he engages zod in battle and losses the battle badly only for zod (and the audiences) to realize that superman intended to get zod away from the fortress to allow prof hamilton, the military et al to use the fortress's tech to re active the jor-el AI and order it to shut down the world engine (remember that jor-el told lois that he's now in control of the ship's mainframe). superman also makes it clear to zod that he [zod] exists for the sole purpose of protecting krypton's sanctity and that if he doesn't surrender superman would instruct the military to blow up the fortress and embryonic chamber thus destroying krypton's chances of future survival.
I think this works out much better because it allows superman to beat his more powerful opponent by out smarting him rather than over powering him.

Lastly instead of having a post credits scene, they could've had a scene running with the credit, which comprises basically of multiple news footage (and comprising mostly of found footage) showing superman's impact on global politics, religion, fashion, facebook etc.....here one could fit in plenty of humor incorporating everyday things and giving the film it's intended real world feel.

Last edited by Superchan; 08-19-2013 at 05:22 AM.
Superchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:06 AM   #47
sef
Side-Kick

If I had to do it all again...

But seriously, I would rather wait for whatever Director's or Ultimate Cut Zack Snyder has cooked up and then rack my brain about what should or could have been made differently.

sef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:30 AM   #48
Glassjaw
In training

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2 View Post
So the kid n teenage clark didn't make the audience to care about the character of clark kent???
They made me care about Clark at those respective ages, but cut to adult Clark and he didn't have a voice. For me it's the same complaint many had with Routh in SR. He didn't have anything to say. Instead, everyone was telling him what to do, or what not to do. Cavill oozes charisma but they didn't give him much of a chance to let is loose on the audience.

I honestly think he'll be even better in Superman Vs Batman, as he'll have far more 'acting' to do opposite Bruce and Batman, not just fighting.

Glassjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:18 AM   #49
Szetsilya
Lois Lane --> Leia Lane

Ooo i like the idea of Clark as a blogger traveling around the world. He could still be searching but doing something that leads into his journalist career.
Anything that changes the tornado scene is a plus in my book.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:30 PM   #50
kalelvis
Side-Kick

I would make sure that the fate of the family in the train station is clear to the audience and if the survived have them walk over to Superman at the end and say thank you.

kalelvis is offline   Reply With Quote