The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight

Old 07-19-2013, 06:53 PM   #1
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

Default Is everything copying TDK?

I'm so tired of hearing this. Even Star Trek Into Darkness is being labeled that.

Green Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:06 PM   #2
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

Default Re: Is everything copying TDK?

I think in a way, yes, unfortunately. Its influences are everywhere, and often the director's and scriptwriters explicitly acknowledge it (Star Trek into Darkness, Skyfall, etc.)

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
ThePhantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:24 PM   #3
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
I think in a way, yes, unfortunately. Its influences are everywhere, and often the director's and scriptwriters explicitly acknowledge it (Star Trek into Darkness, Skyfall, etc.)
I can see for skyfall, but how for Star Trek?

Green Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:37 AM   #4
Victarion
Cut

No more than TDK copied The Long Halloween, Heat, and whatever else Nolan called an influence.

Victarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:14 PM   #5
titansupes
Side-Kick

Yep.

titansupes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:05 PM   #6
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlueWonder View Post
I can see for skyfall, but how for Star Trek?
edit

Old 08-07-2013, 10:22 AM   #7
BatmanGoesToRio
Side-Kick

Skyfall was copyiung TDK for sure. Basically the villain was Joker sans make-up.

BatmanGoesToRio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:03 PM   #8
Dark Guardian
Guardian of Gotham

Skyfall and the Avengers stand out the most as straight lifting the 'bad guy deliberately gets captured so he can mess up the base' plan. In Skyfall it actually made very little sense, as it wasn't like he needed to get into the base or anything. Accomplishing his goal of killing M would have been just as easy had he completely avoided Bond and just showed up at the hearing.
At least with Loki he (like the Joker) had a reason to be caught.

But really it's pretty sad that you see such an innovative idea, and immediately some big movies start copying it.

I.N.W.T=In Nolan We Trust
Dark Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:38 PM   #9
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

It's not really all that innovative as Silence of the Lamb did it back in the early 90's. But TDK did revive the idea and popularized it enough to be ripped off several times.

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Tacit Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:15 PM   #10
BatmanGoesToRio
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Guardian View Post
Skyfall and the Avengers stand out the most as straight lifting the 'bad guy deliberately gets captured so he can mess up the base' plan. In Skyfall it actually made very little sense, as it wasn't like he needed to get into the base or anything. Accomplishing his goal of killing M would have been just as easy had he completely avoided Bond and just showed up at the hearing.
I agree. In Skyfall it made no sense at all. But without that "plan" this movie would have become very short and Bond would not have much to do.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:53 AM   #11
titansupes
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacit Ronin View Post
It's not really all that innovative as Silence of the Lamb did it back in the early 90's. But TDK did revive the idea and popularized it enough to be ripped off several times.
That's all very true, though TDK got it specifically from Gotham Central.

titansupes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:41 PM   #12
redfirebird2008
Side-Kick

Quote:

But really it's pretty sad that you see such an innovative idea, and immediately some big movies start copying it.
Nothing about TDK's story was innovative. Obviously there have been other movies recently that were influenced by TDK, but it was influenced by movies that came before as well (Heat, Silence of the Lambs, Clockwork Orange, Batman '89, etc.).

redfirebird2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:30 PM   #13
Schlosser85
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Everybody's definitely gotten into the whole "villain lets himself be captured to continue master scheme from the inside" bit after TDK.

Loki in The Avengers
Silva in Skyfall
Khan in Star Trek: Into Darkness

All have an interrogation room/detention cell scene where they mess with the hero's head(s) that's very reminiscient of TDK, imo.

Though I think it was originally inspired by The Silence of the Lambs. The Batman-Joker interrogation room scene has shades of SOTL, imo.

Two wrongs just make something more wrong.

Movie Review Site:
Schlosser85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:38 PM   #14
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlosser85 View Post
Everybody's definitely gotten into the whole "villain lets himself be captured to continue master scheme from the inside" bit after TDK.

Loki in The Avengers
Silva in Skyfall

All have an interrogation room/detention cell scene where they mess with the hero's head(s) that's very reminiscient of TDK, imo.

Though I think it was originally inspired by The Silence of the Lambs. The Batman-Joker interrogation room scene has shades of SOTL, imo.
At least Skyfall's director admitted he was influenced by TDK.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:54 PM   #15
BatmanGoesToRio
Side-Kick

Yeah. And both Joker's and Silva's plans don't make any sense when you think about it. I've always thought what would have happened if the guy with the cell phone bomb would have not been caught, too? And what would have happened if the Gotham police would have not been so dumb to leave the Joker without handcuffs guarded by a single (!) cop who was standing inside (!!!) the interrogation room? Silva's plan was also built on way too many coincidences.

Last edited by BatmanGoesToRio; 09-07-2013 at 01:14 PM.
Old 09-07-2013, 04:31 PM   #16
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

He was part of Joker's men in the truck. He was guaranteed to get caught. Getting handcuffs removed could have easily been achieved if he asked for it as a condition to tell them about Dent's location.

None of this was an impossibility. Same with Silva.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:33 AM   #17
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacit Ronin View Post
You're just thinking of the whole "glass cage" thing.

Lecter had already been in prison for years at that point. He wasn't captured on purpose. He negotiated for a change of location and escaped from there.

redhawk23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:11 AM   #18
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatmanGoesToRio View Post
Yeah. And both Joker's and Silva's plans don't make any sense when you think about it. I've always thought what would have happened if the guy with the cell phone bomb would have not been caught, too? And what would have happened if the Gotham police would have not been so dumb to leave the Joker without handcuffs guarded by a single (!) cop who was standing inside (!!!) the interrogation room? Silva's plan was also built on way too many coincidences.
You can say that about almost every supervillain in movies and comics. Supervillains tend to have overly complicated schemes its a staple of the genre.

Old 04-05-2014, 03:54 AM   #19
Oscorp
Side-Kick

I think people are deliberately mixing the terms "copying" and "taking inspiration from" up. Yeah, Skyfall pretty much copied stuff but other than that, I'd say film makers take inspiration from it, much like TDK took inspiration from films.

Oscorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 02:00 PM   #20
Blitzkrieg Bop
Boy named Sue

I get tired of people saying, "This could be the new TDK." Like, really? Don't you want it to be something else? And what makes you think that the superhero movie you're all hyped about has the same level of talent behind it as The Dark Knight?

Old 04-05-2014, 05:08 PM   #21
Wild
Banned User

It´s normal. TDK inspired a lot of people.

Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:06 PM   #22
gugumugats
SKIDOOOOOSH!!

I actually don't mind that big franchise action movies keep getting compared to TDK. It really speaks to the legacy of the film.

What disappoints me though is that I havent seen much anything on the same level of TDK. Skyfall maybe, but it didn't really transcend in the same way TDK did. Avengers was good, but it really is apples and oranges compared to TDK.

If anything, I feel like Marvel Studios is the new cool kid that everybody copies or that fanboys want for other companies to copy (DOFP, ASM starting a shared universe, "why can't DC/WB use solo films to build to Justice League?")

Dr. Walter Bishop: Oh - That's too bad. You'll have to shock her heart then.

-FRINGE
gugumugats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 03:08 AM   #23
Spider-Aziz
Time to Move on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlosser85 View Post

Loki in The Avengers
Silva in Skyfall

The main villain in Mission Impossible 3 fast getaway gives the impression he allowed himself to get captured
That didn't copy from The Dark Knight

Fan of classic comics? Join here
- ran by great folks
Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 03:16 AM   #24
The Endless
WE are Groot

Quote:
At least with Loki he (like the Joker) had a reason to be caught.

So you're implying that TDK was the first movie to have the villain let himself be captured? Do me a favour lol

Hell Return of the Jedi did it but with the hero instead of the villain. Luke let himself be captured so he could try to persuade his father and confront the Emperor himself.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:02 AM   #25
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

I thought Star Trek into Darkness was desperately trying to copy The Dark Knight, and that this explains the movie's failure. They had two villains in the movie, and they tried to have both of them drive the plot but it was a disaster.

The writers said that Khan is to Kirk as the Joker is to Batman, which is absolute nonsense. They have Spock in the movie tell young Spock that Khan will be his greatest enemy, they were trying to say "this is our Joker! this is our Joker!" ... didn't work. Khan sucked.

Starfleet was supposed to be corrupted in the movie in the same way that Gotham was corrupted in the Nolan trilogy, but this was an absolute failure of world-building implementation.

They had the word "Dark" in the title lol, didn't work either.

DA_Champion is offline   Reply With Quote