The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 08-07-2013, 12:26 PM   #1
Xak-Ell
Side-Kick

Default Man of Steel does have kryptonite

people keep saying that MoS lacks the green rock but thats because the rock isn't green or even a rock at all. i think that kryptonite is the kryptonian atmosphere. Clark's body has adapted to earth's atmosphere. and the kryptonian air is lethal to him. and the argument can be made that it can't be turned into the kryptonite we all know and love, but think about this for a second: aire can be liquefied and liquids can be solidified. and in the sequel we know that it is highly likely for two of the world's greatest minds to be present. it'd be crazy for one to not assume that one of the two won't figure out a way to make it happen

Xak-Ell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:18 PM   #2
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

Default Re: Man of Steel does have kryptonite

The differences between the atmosphere of Krypton and the atmosphere of Earth might have the same effect that Kryptonite does does in other versions of the Superman story, but that doesn't mean it's the same thing as Kryptonite.

The MoS-Verse/DCCU has made it so that the Kryptonian atmosphere serves as an equivalent to Kryptonite, at least for Superman, but it still lacks the 'genuine article', as it were.

Quote:
"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:29 PM   #3
Xak-Ell
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
The differences between the atmosphere of Krypton and the atmosphere of Earth might have the same effect that Kryptonite does does in other versions of the Superman story, but that doesn't mean it's the same thing as Kryptonite.

The MoS-Verse/DCCU has made it so that the Kryptonian atmosphere serves as an equivalent to Kryptonite, at least for Superman, but it still lacks the 'genuine article', as it were.
it's still a nice little (and clever) departure from the classic incarnation.

Xak-Ell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:36 PM   #4
Kal-El.9859
Sent For A Reason

You think too much

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Kal-El.9859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:49 PM   #5
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El.9859 View Post
You think too much
What was the point of this post other than trolling and disrupting the thread?

The atmosphere of Krypton having an adverse, weakening effect on Superman does make it an equivalent to Kryptonite even though the substance itself doesn't exist within the MoS-Verse/DCCU.

Quote:
"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
Old 08-07-2013, 10:04 PM   #6
The Guard
Side-Kick

The planet Krypton exploded into pieces at the beginning, didn't it?

Therefore, wouldn't there be Kryptonite in the film somewhere?

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:40 PM   #7
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

^ There should certainly be debris, but whether or not it would have the same effect as the Kryptonian planetary fragments we refer to as Kryptonite - an effect approximated by Kryptonian atmospheric differences from those of Earth - remains to be seen.

Quote:
Old 08-07-2013, 11:50 PM   #8
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
The planet Krypton exploded into pieces at the beginning, didn't it?

Therefore, wouldn't there be Kryptonite in the film somewhere?

When Zod warped way from Krypton they sucked some debris from the planet with them. Then when the came out of the warp the debris got scattered. This happens right before they find the World engine on that dead Kryptonian outpost. The only problem i see with that is that the only way for that debris to reach earth is for that outpost to be somewhere in our solar system.

Loki: i have an army
Tony Stark: we have a hulk!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Smashlilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:32 AM   #9
kalelvis
Side-Kick

I think that would be an interesting approach to kryptonite especially considering there is a lot of altered ecological material laying around the southern Indian ocean just waiting to be discovered.

kalelvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:02 AM   #10
Kal-El.9859
Sent For A Reason

Quote:
What was the point of this post other than trolling and disrupting the thread?

The atmosphere of Krypton having an adverse, weakening effect on Superman does make it an equivalent to Kryptonite even though the substance itself doesn't exist within the MoS-Verse/DCCU.
Wrong....
Snyder has said that it DOES exist. ..Superman just didn't encounter it in that movie. I just think this is a pointless thread when it can be discussed in the All Things Superman thread. Every single topic or idea you have doesn't need it's own thread

Old 08-08-2013, 02:06 PM   #11
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

^ Snyder said he never said it DIDN'T EXIST. He's never 100% confirmed that it does, either, though.

You don't have to participate in these types of discussions, and your obvious trolling doesn't help anything.

Quote:
Old 08-08-2013, 07:35 PM   #12
Kal-El.9859
Sent For A Reason

Quote:
^ Snyder said he never said it DIDN'T EXIST. He's never 100% confirmed that it does, either, though.

You don't have to participate in these types of discussions, and your obvious trolling doesn't help anything.
far from trolling...it's just stupid to create a thread because you had an idea. I had an idea too but I didn't create a thread just for it. I discuss it in the All Things Superman thread. It's that simple....

Old 08-08-2013, 08:35 PM   #13
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

I see Kryptonian atmosphere more as an expansion of red sun radiation. Whereas before, it was only the gravity and the sun that affected Kryptonians by either giving them powers or taking them away, here it's also the atmosphere.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:56 PM   #14
John-An
The Man of Tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Cenobite View Post
I see Kryptonian atmosphere more as an expansion of red sun radiation. Whereas before, it was only the gravity and the sun that affected Kryptonians by either giving them powers or taking them away, here it's also the atmosphere.
The kryptonian atmosphere is a consecuence from the Red Son... Jor-el itself explained... Superman is not weaked like with kryptonite.. only put as if kryptonians were in the red sun atmosphere...

"I worry because everyone seems to look up to me and it's making me a little uncomfortable. I can try but I can't solve every problem. I don't know if I can live up to this... myth they want me to be." Superman.
MAN OF STEEL: THE BEST SUPERMAN MOVIE AND OUR 21st CENTURY SUPERMAN.

Last edited by John-An; 08-11-2013 at 12:03 PM.
John-An is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:42 PM   #15
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by juansuperiron20 View Post
The kryptonian atmosphere is a consecuence from the Red Son... Jor-eń itself explained... Superman is not weaked like with kryptonite.. only put as if kryptonians were in the red sun atmosphere...
Indeed. Both take away his powers, but the kryptonite puts Superman in pain and slowly kills him. In the atmosphere setting he’s free and able to move around, after the initial 'getting used to' period.

I like it when Superman’s powers are taken away from him. It makes things interesting and rewarding when they come back. I got a laugh when Cavill-man sat up from the table with ease and did his thing.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar
The Intern - Judy Garland biopic
AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:39 AM   #16
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

I tend to agree with those of you who said that instead of the glowing green stuff, Snyder and co are using the Krypton atmospherics to weaken Supes.
It's a basic rule of Superman stories, you either have villains with comparable powers, or you weaken Superman. (can't see Snyder/Nolan bringing in magic, well at least I hope not).
The world engine would be hard to salvage, after it exploded !

Sounds fair to me, maybe "Red Sun" solar radiation (same wavelength as Rao) will feature.
Which I suppose a guy like Luthor could work out. If he could work out the position of Krypton, he could locate its sun, and then work out what particular wavelengths of light it put out (then again those would probably thousands if not millions of years old). Hey, it's a movie about Superman, so really, it only needs to sound plausible, not actually be plausible.

Or what about this. The scout ship crashed in metropolis. It would still contain kryptonian tech, maybe something in that ship gives off radiation that Kal is particularly sensitive to ? Maybe even a weapon of some kind (like those blasters).

Peace people, bring on MOS 2.

Batmannerism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:39 AM   #17
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

The Kryptonian atmosphere is only dangerous to Clark because he was raised on Earth and acclimated to its environment. It still serves the same basic purpose as Kryptonite, though, because it weakens him physically.

Quote:
Old 08-11-2013, 12:15 PM   #18
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

Although the thing with kryptonite is it is(traditionally) depicted as being harmless to humans, whereas kryptonian gravity and atmosphere would kill a human.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:40 PM   #19
John-An
The Man of Tomorrow

Quote:
The Kryptonian atmosphere is only dangerous to Clark because he was raised on Earth and acclimated to its environment. It still serves the same basic purpose as Kryptonite, though, because it weakens him physically.
No.. only he had the reaction because he wasn't used to but after the dream scene superman doesn't look sick...

"I worry because everyone seems to look up to me and it's making me a little uncomfortable. I can try but I can't solve every problem. I don't know if I can live up to this... myth they want me to be." Superman.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:56 PM   #20
N7 Joseph Shepard
Human/Kryptonian Hybrid

Quote:

Actually yes he has on many occasions, he never used the words that it does not exist, but that it is not used in any way shape or form in Man Of Steel.

The point of Kryptonite is that it's pieces of Krypton that been exposed to endless amounts of radiation in space during its trip from Krypton to Earth, that's what makes it deadly, not that it's from Krypton alone.

Superman was weak because they didn't come out and say it but the Black Zero has a Red Sun type environment, that's what weakened him and that's what was being pumped out of the World Engine.

Snyder
Alexander/Arterton- Wonder Woman - Taylor
Reynolds/Pine - Green Lantern -
Bay
Gosling/Kwanten - The Flash -
Del-Toro
Pearce - Lex Luthor
- It's the Dawn Of A New Day!!!!
N7 Joseph Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:59 AM   #21
titansupes
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Cenobite View Post
Exactly.

titansupes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:21 AM   #22
lylenhu

Yes, I think so.

lylenhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:46 PM   #23
Nave 'Torment'
Vigilante Detective

That's a really interesting way of looking into it -- I thought that the atmosphere explanation was simply another addition to the Superman mythos -- that is, a much more realistic approach where you consider the biological and environmental implications of alien beings.

It has teh same effect as Kryptonite, but I guess it wouldn't become Kryptonite until Batman coins the damn term and creates some.

THE JUSTICE BULLETIN published some of my thematic analysis on the symbolism in Nolan's superhero saga.
I call it Heroic Archetypes. You can read the parts on Batman Begins in the following links:
(pt 1; pt 2; pt 3; pt 4; pt 5; pt 6; pt 7)

Nave 'Torment' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:29 PM   #24
John-An
The Man of Tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nave 'Torment' View Post
That's a really interesting way of looking into it -- I thought that the atmosphere explanation was simply another addition to the Superman mythos -- that is, a much more realistic approach where you consider the biological and environmental implications of alien beings.

It has teh same effect as Kryptonite, but I guess it wouldn't become Kryptonite until Batman coins the damn term and creates some.
I don't think so... kryptonite affects superman and weaks him more than the red sun(that only put him as a human) and could kill him with it's radiation..

Old 08-27-2013, 02:58 PM   #25
Nave 'Torment'
Vigilante Detective

That doesn't really contradict with what I said... ?

THE JUSTICE BULLETIN published some of my thematic analysis on the symbolism in Nolan's superhero saga.
I call it Heroic Archetypes. You can read the parts on Batman Begins in the following links:
(pt 1; pt 2; pt 3; pt 4; pt 5; pt 6; pt 7)

Nave 'Torment' is offline   Reply With Quote