The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > The Avengers World

Old 08-03-2013, 03:52 PM   #151
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Default Re: Avengers Assemble! Animated Show - Part 1

I would love a one on one between Thor or Hulk and Hyperion like in the comics, but I doubt it'll happen. They seem to have a strict no "one on one" policy whenever the Avengers face villains unlike Justice League and JLU.

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*

Last edited by BigThor; 08-03-2013 at 04:55 PM.
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:15 PM   #152
Ichebi

Hum just watched all the episodes. As I read the previous forum posts wasn't expecting much but then again I don't usually do. As for as it goes, I liked some of the jokes, the animation it's watchable and I enjoyed i don't know 4 in 6 episodes. I don't think that's bad for a kids show so I probably keep on watching it for now!

Ichebi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:20 AM   #153
Lantern Venom
No, I will NOT "Imagine"

I've seen enough of this show now to give two opinions. The animation, overall, is more realistic than EMH. I still have nitpicks with certain characters, but the bodily dimensions are more true to human anatomy.

That being said, the writing for this show isn't as complex. EMH always had several long-arcing storylines. AA only has the formation of Red Skull's Cabal so far.

Also, I laughed heartily at Hawkeye asking "Why does everyone keep winking at me?!" as well as Hulk referring to Thor as "Butterscotch".

Last edited by Lantern Venom; 08-05-2013 at 01:24 AM.
Lantern Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:30 AM   #154
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Hyperion is the best episode of the show so far. Hope we see him again soon.

Too bad Dread isn't watching this series. He'd enjoy this episode, or pick it apart and talk about why Spectacular Spider-Man and Young Justice are better, whatever.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:15 AM   #155
Drz
Real Hero

So i decided to watch both the Dracula episode and Hyperion episode, because i'm a vampire fan + Brian Bloom fan.

Holy crap are these episodes so awfully written, they are meddled with plot holes, 1 dimensional parodies of villains, lackluster animation and just really awful fightning.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:11 AM   #156
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Just watched the Hyperion ep. All the previous critiques still stand, though this one had better overall animation. Maybe the best looking one so far, but the pacing of the story? This really needed 44min. to be fleshed out even more than the Dracula story. Also why is Hyperion powerful beyond reason one moment (um... Superman level strength only Hulk and Thor have a chance against) but then Cap can bofy tackle him the next? Sorry, there's no amount of "leverage" that's going to accomplish that. On the plus side Thor was given his due some and it was obvious in the last moments of the show that this was a building block to some future story or hopefully a coming arc of some kind. My druthers would be something not connected to the Cabal subplot directly even if it does crossover some (I mean Thor's line about them needing Hyperion in the future may as well had FORESHADOWING blinking on the screen as he said it.) Still, it was the best show aired so far, but that is not saying much.

KRYPTON INC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:51 PM   #157
Human Torch
Mandatory Fun

Certainly one of the better episodes,but I can't get past the feeling that they're holding back to adhere to some pre-set format (self contained stories,X amount of action per episode) When they finally cut loose,it should be great.

Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:44 PM   #158
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

What is wrong with self-contained stories? And what if we see Hyperion again and they reference this episode? The end certainly seemed to leave that open. Then it's not self-contained anymore.

- CM Punk
Old 08-05-2013, 06:10 PM   #159
Human Torch
Mandatory Fun

There's nothing inherently wrong with the self contained format,but it's feeling tired to me already.So far it's been:

Bad guy shows up.

The Avengers put aside what semi-comical issue they're dealing with and take on the villain.

Villain gives Avengers a rough time.

Avengers win.

Red Skull says "Well,that guy was useless.He can't join the "Cabel".

Let's focus on the Red Skull's plan.See what he's building to.Have self contained episodes as a break in between the Red Skull storyline,instead of the other way around.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:32 PM   #160
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Torch View Post
There's nothing inherently wrong with the self contained format,but it's feeling tired to me already.So far it's been:

Bad guy shows up.

The Avengers put aside what semi-comical issue they're dealing with and take on the villain.

Villain gives Avengers a rough time.

Avengers win.

Red Skull says "Well,that guy was useless.He can't join the "Cabel".

Let's focus on the Red Skull's plan.See what he's building to.Have self contained episodes as a break in between the Red Skull storyline,instead of the other way around.
Yeah. You're wrong. That's not what happened in the Dracula episode or Doctor Doom episode. The epilogue in the Dracula episode implied that he will collaborate with Red Skull now.

- CM Punk
Old 08-05-2013, 09:28 PM   #161
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

It's the way these stories are paced (along with some way way over the top power moments that then get nullified IN THE SAME EPISODE, adding very lame humor as a cherry on top and some unispired voice work as the chocolate syrup) that does damage to most fan's assesment of the show. The Hyperion story needed at least 2 episodes for the narrative and characters to breathe. It would have benefitted the action as well. They rushed that end battle. What was set up should have been a hell of a donneybrook.
As for the WHY of these very rushed stories? I think the creative minds of the MARVEL ANIMATION team think kids can't/won't follow more serialized storytelling. If so I believe they are wrong. Being on the very darkside of my 30's my favorite part of the action cartoons I watchrd as a child and teen was when various elements from previous episodes where refrenced or brought back. Now maybe there will be some better paced future episodes yet to air, or maybe there will be some stories that they give the proper breathing room and spread out over 2-3 installments. But I can't see them going that route. These are the same minds that think Adrian Pasdar is doing a great job as Tony Stark. (And I type that as somebody that likes Pasdar a lot. But he's either phoning it in and cashing a check or he's getting bad direction in studio.)

Old 08-06-2013, 12:31 AM   #162
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Why did it need two episodes? Because you said so? In lots of action cartoons we see shows like this that are only one episode long.

Why did Green Lantern and Sinestro only get one episode in S:TAS? Why did Flash and Weather Wizard only get one episode?

How do you know this is just the one episode for Hyperion? The ending was open ended so we could easily see him again if someone busts him out.

- CM Punk
Old 08-06-2013, 12:53 AM   #163
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
Why did it need two episodes? Because you said so? In lots of action cartoons we see shows like this that are only one episode long.

Why did Green Lantern and Sinestro only get one episode in S:TAS? Why did Flash and Weather Wizard only get one episode?

How do you know this is just the one episode for Hyperion? The ending was open ended so we could easily see him again if someone busts him out.

Hmm...

It needed an expanded run time because all the issues/themes/character dynamics brought up in the episode needed more than 22min. in my opinion. So... Yeah, because I say so. It's my opinion. But I would like to think I have some reasoning behind said opinion. Having a Superman-like character come to Earth, become embraced in some ways by the populace, only to go all EXTREME JUSTICE and reveal his true character, plus how the Avenger's team react to all this as a group and individuals, plus some satisfying action and a nice finale to the whole tale takes more than 22 minutes my friend. IN MY OPINION (It seems that everyone on the internet takes personal umbrage unless you place that in your post to let them know this is what you think about something ) These stories seem to just fly by TVO. To help define the characters it would be nice to get Cap or Thor's take on Hyperion, or have a short flashback in the Dracula episode to actually see Cap's mission from the 40's in Transylvania.

As for exploring things in future episodes, I think my previous post said just as much. However since the episodes establishing those elements that might come back are thinly conceived and executed (IN MY OPINION) it does take away from any impact they will have once they come back. "Hey kids, remember this threadbare character/plot we showed you before? Well here it is again!"

Old 08-06-2013, 03:54 AM   #164
Human Torch
Mandatory Fun

Quote:
Yeah. You're wrong. That's not what happened in the Dracula episode or Doctor Doom episode. The epilogue in the Dracula episode implied that he will collaborate with Red Skull now.
Granted,I was being semi-facetious,but there's no denying that they hadn't done anything of note with the Red Skull's plan.Instead they are giving a very formulaic format,that feels rushed and hasn't built to anything interesting.

To be honest,I just think the show is struggling to find it's groove.Ultimate Spider-Man had the same problem.It's first season (especially the first half) was particularly poor,but it's improved greatly this season.

So,I'm not ready to abandon the show or anything.Once AA settles in on what exactly it wants to be,I think it'll impress.

Old 08-06-2013, 03:56 AM   #165
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

I see no point in seeing an unnecessary flashback sequence since we got brief flashes and Cap told us all the pertinent information.

The reasoning behind your opinion makes no sense. Frequently superhero action cartoons tell stories such as this in one half hour episode.

The notion that all these episodes have to be stretched across multiple episodes is an argument the haters utilize to irrationally bash this show.

How did we not get the Avengers take on Hyperion? Cap found Hyperion suspicious and did not approve of his methods.

In Justice League, Captain Marvel/Shazam is introduced and a guest star in absolutely ONE episode. He's established, joins the Justice League, has a conflict with Superman, fights Superman, loses, and leaves the Justice League. All in ONE EPISODE. We never see Captain Marvel/Shazam show up and ever do anything meaningful again in the series. Episode must have been terrible and garbage. What about all the other Leaguer's take on Shazam? They could've spent five episodes building up the dissent between the Justice League and Captain Marvel only for it to have a big blowoff. Instead it all happened in JUST ONE EPISODE.

- CM Punk

Last edited by TheVileOne; 08-06-2013 at 04:00 AM.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:36 AM   #166
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Quote:
I see no point in seeing an unnecessary flashback sequence since we got brief flashes and Cap told us all the pertinent information.

The reasoning behind your opinion makes no sense. Frequently superhero action cartoons tell stories such as this in one half hour episode.

The notion that all these episodes have to be stretched across multiple episodes is an argument the haters utilize to irrationally bash this show.

How did we not get the Avengers take on Hyperion? Cap found Hyperion suspicious and did not approve of his methods.

In Justice League, Captain Marvel/Shazam is introduced and a guest star in absolutely ONE episode. He's established, joins the Justice League, has a conflict with Superman, fights Superman, loses, and leaves the Justice League. All in ONE EPISODE. We never see Captain Marvel/Shazam show up and ever do anything meaningful again in the series. Episode must have been terrible and garbage. What about all the other Leaguer's take on Shazam? They could've spent five episodes building up the dissent between the Justice League and Captain Marvel only for it to have a big blowoff. Instead it all happened in JUST ONE EPISODE.

Where did you get the impression I want EVERY SINGLE episode in the future to be spread out over 2-3 shows. I think one and done can be fine for action shows. But so far the stories they HAVE chosen to tell with the show would have been better served by being either 2 or 3 parters. Look at all the stuff that goes down in the Dracula episode: BW gets turned into a vamp, Iron Man has a "magic vs science" thing going on, we learn Dracula wants Cap's SS enhanced blood, Hulk get to fight Dracula and then Drac Hulks out... There is a ton going on and it seems to just get rushed through. Each of those things I listed? They are all good ideas that a good writer could make a stand alone episode out of individually. Happening all in 22 minutes? Sorry, that's barely enough to establish the premise, much less explore it in an intelligent or interesting way. I watch the show as someone that loves comic book superheroes and is always a fan of good animated shows. It's a weakness of mine. I tend to stick it out for a while but if I don't see improvements I usually bail early. But this is an Avengers adaptation. One of the Crown Jewels of The Marvel Universe. I don't think it's unreasonable to want it to be better than it currently is. I like the character designs. I wish I could say the same about everything else on the show.

Old 08-06-2013, 05:47 AM   #167
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Many action cartoons have multiple ideas going on in one episode. And most of those things aren't major subplots that each require their own episode.

Iron Man's magic vs. science technobabble is something he'd frequently espouse in multiple Earth's Mightiest Heroes episodes as well.

- CM Punk
Old 08-06-2013, 02:35 PM   #168
OB12
Side-Kick

Quote:
Many action cartoons have multiple ideas going on in one episode. And most of those things aren't major subplots that each require their own episode.

Iron Man's magic vs. science technobabble is something he'd frequently espouse in multiple Earth's Mightiest Heroes episodes as well.
EMH did this well though, that is the difference. Throughout the first season Tony would make comments that showed his frustration with magic and Thor would comment alluding to his mistrust of technology. Then they had an episode (Casket of Ancient Winters) where science vs. magic was the focus.

The sense I get from AA is that there is no overall vision or bible for the show. It almost seems like as they are going along they are picking an antagonist and then glomming on some stuff about the Cabal and maybe some subplot within the team, add in a jokey scenario and boom, episode. The show is okay but just not high quality yet.

OB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:48 PM   #169
r0derix
Side-Kick

Guys there is no point in arguing with VileOne. Everyone on SHH would be happier if we just ignored him. Don't feed the trolls.

r0derix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:08 PM   #170
Spider-Cross
Side-Kick

I sure hope the Mandarin shows up sometime soon before the new episodes set to premire next year because we all saw what Kevin Feige and his people did to him in Iron Man 3. So we do NOT want them denying the power rings over crappy extremis. We all want Mandarin to stay the way he is in the comics so lets hope he does soon enough

Spider-Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:35 PM   #171
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

The Mandarin and the power rings were in the Invincible Iron Man animated series. Except it was Teen Tony and Teen Mandarin.

- CM Punk
Old 08-09-2013, 12:02 AM   #172
dodgers2213
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0derix View Post
Guys there is no point in arguing with VileOne. Everyone on SHH would be happier if we just ignored him. Don't feed the trolls.
This. I don't bother reading his adversarial posts/attacking posts anymore.

Pokemon Black 2 FC: 1936-9586-3562
dodgers2213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:43 PM   #173
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Just flicked on to this.

It doesn't give a good first impression.

1. All the voices are quite easy going / high pitched.
2. Thor has an English accent
3. Hulk makes jokes
4. Hawkeye and black widow are just like the lame movie counterparts

CyclopsWasRight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 01:01 PM   #174
Blade X
Side-Kick

Quote:
While I often disagree with him, I don't think that he is a troll or should be put on ignore. He just SEEMS TO BE blindly loyal to Marvel animation and is to blind to either recognize and/or admit the flaws in their current shows. Other than that, he seems like a nice guy.

Blade X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 01:49 PM   #175
gkokujin
Side-Kick

Quote:
65 posts and you figured this out THAT fast? wow, that goes to show how annoying he is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgers2213 View Post
This. I don't bother reading his adversarial posts/attacking posts anymore.
cheers mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateJustin View Post
no kid in fifteen years will recall what was going on in the haze of animated card game shows where cat faced japanese children yelled annoyingly and danced around and shot mushrooms out of their mouths.
gkokujin is offline   Reply With Quote