Old 07-23-2013, 11:00 PM   #226
Klank
Side-Kick

Default Re: William Fitchner IS The Shredder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREEN =w= DAY View Post
it's possible. look at Hugo Weaving in V for Vendetta

not once do you see his face but he gave one hell of a performance
It's possible but I don't think they'd go to the trouble of rewriting The Shredders identity and ethnicity if we weren't going to see his face. Otherwise wouldn't thet just keep him as Oroku Saki.

It also takes an especialy committed actor or a director to convince him of the importance of the character being masked the whole time. This has been a big deal with superhero movies. Tobey Maguire wasn't that big a star when he did the first Spider-Man but the movie routinely had him demasking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro13Zombie View Post
If this is true.....that is a huge ****ing relief
We don't know that. Seems unlikely they'd get an actual known actor to just motion capture.

Klank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:18 PM   #227
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

Haha, now I'm wondering if they're going to have Shredder just be all CG while Fitchner just mocaps and voices him. Make him kind of ambigious like in the 2003 and new cartoon.

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:04 PM   #228
TMaresca84

hey, i have some more details...not many but some. showed my dad the leaked picture of the "shredder" looking dude in the motion capture suit and asked if the person he saw looked like him. He said yes but with smaller spikes on his shoulders. im theorizing here but maybe the suit changes size and thats why its cgi. they are filming in nyc by the stock exchange, i work by there so hopefully i will see what he saw and grab a photo.

TMaresca84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:11 PM   #229
TMaresca84

ok another update, my friend just came back into the office and she said she saw him briefly before. I'll deff try and get a picture im shocked one hasn't been taken yet. she said the same thing helmet and shoulder spikes.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:07 PM   #230
Octoberist
point blank

Thanks TMaresca

Old 07-24-2013, 09:35 PM   #231
TMaresca84

Hey, by the time I got to the set they moved production into a building. I asked one of the guys who worked there if shredder would be in the shoot today and he said he didn't know who I was talking about lol. I have pictures but nothing worth posting, just pictures of the production trucks. If u guys want those ill post them lol, tomorrow is another day ill try again.

Old 07-25-2013, 01:48 AM   #232
Octoberist
point blank

I'm sure those guys were playing DUMB! haha

Old 07-25-2013, 11:09 AM   #233
TMaresca84

trucks are back nothing new has happened, question, has any new pictures of this shoot surfaced ? A lot of people are talking about things they saw the last couple of days i haven't seen anything new besides the party wagon.

Last edited by TMaresca84; 07-25-2013 at 11:17 AM.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:02 AM   #234
SpideyFan866
Hero Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE072 View Post
And unless he's also doing the voice, it was pointless to cast a known actor. Since more often than not the actor doing the mocap is also doing the voice and other things. Unless a voice actor has been cast and I was unaware.

So he's probably also doing the voice.
Danny Woodburn isn't really a known actor.

and if he is doing the voice, so what? As long as he gives a good performance, who gives a ****?

SpideyFan866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 02:24 PM   #235
Loki882
Side-Kick

It's really extraordinary, even when Michael Bay does something right, he still manages to screw it up. Casting William Fitchner in the movie, excellent. He's a great actor and just awesome in general. Casting him to play the Shredder, no, just no. Shredder should be Japanese, not a white guy.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:12 PM   #236
the last son
Side-Kick

this is going to be awful

Old 08-26-2013, 03:22 PM   #237
Fanged-Hunter
SwiftNinjaFox

The more I'm seeing about the movie information, the more I'm starting to wonder....

Is Fichtner REALLY playing Shredder? When asked if his character was Japanese, Fichtner kind of hesitated and said he thought it would be better to see how things unfold in the movie.

Could they actually be setting us up with a proxy Shredder who is defeated at the end and sets the stage for Oroku Saki to come to New York himself in a sequel? Sort of how Ken Watanabe was billed as Nolan's Rhas al Ghul only for Liam Neeson to actually be the real Rhas?

So much info seems to be giving honorable nods to the comics, cartoon, and past movies while still setting up its own direction, I just can't help but wonder if Fichtner isn't really playing THE Shredder we're thinking of.

Fanged-Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:08 PM   #238
the_ultimate_evil
CURSE YOU GIN MONKEY.

unless its revealed in the movie well before the climax, it makes no sense for a films villain to be built up to be revealed to be a fake after being beat only to essentially repeat the whole thing in the sequel only with the "real" version

And so I walk, into the searing light which banishes all darkness, surrendering my face and form to atoms of dust, seeking the true darkness of peace,the cool shadows of eternity and the unknown fate of nothingness
To view my site tumblr dev art twitter
the_ultimate_evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:10 PM   #239
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

Like in video games, huh?

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:19 PM   #240
Fanged-Hunter
SwiftNinjaFox

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_ultimate_evil View Post
unless its revealed in the movie well before the climax, it makes no sense for a films villain to be built up to be revealed to be a fake after being beat only to essentially repeat the whole thing in the sequel only with the "real" version
Better than killing off the villain in the first one and then bringing him back with no real explanation to how he survived to repeat the whole thing.

Or kill the villain off and then sort of not know what direction to take it next in the sequel.

Personally, I'd rather see it planned from the start as a trilogy. Each film having its own confined story, but an overarching plot to lead up to the final confrontation with Shredder. But I don't have faith in them to take that much time for character/plot development and go in for the long haul like that.

Fanged-Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:15 PM   #241
TheFirstAvenger
Marvel/Dc fan

^ this

TheFirstAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:46 AM   #242
Klank
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyFan866 View Post
Danny Woodburn isn't really a known actor.

and if he is doing the voice, so what? As long as he gives a good performance, who gives a ****?
He isn't exactly a complete unknown either and they wouldn't hire someone who is reasonably well known for just motion capture.

A good performance of what though? There are some actors that have great range and are capable of playing very different roles but Woodburn from what I've seen him in always plays a course sounding American that it makes me think that's just his 'thing' and wonder if that's what they're changing the character of Splinter into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanged-Hunter View Post
The more I'm seeing about the movie information, the more I'm starting to wonder....

Is Fichtner REALLY playing Shredder? When asked if his character was Japanese, Fichtner kind of hesitated and said he thought it would be better to see how things unfold in the movie.

Could they actually be setting us up with a proxy Shredder who is defeated at the end and sets the stage for Oroku Saki to come to New York himself in a sequel? Sort of how Ken Watanabe was billed as Nolan's Rhas al Ghul only for Liam Neeson to actually be the real Rhas?

So much info seems to be giving honorable nods to the comics, cartoon, and past movies while still setting up its own direction, I just can't help but wonder if Fichtner isn't really playing THE Shredder we're thinking of.
He's made it clear he's playing Shredder. We have no news on casting of an asian actor or even someone who could pass as a more action ready character as we would normaly imagine the Shredder to be. Given Fichtner is good friends with Bay I'd imagine they'd angle for him to the real deal as opposed to a phoney.

Also I don't care for the idea that every movie will have a unique villain that also happens to be 'The Shredder'. The 2k3 series tried this to some degree but by the time we got to BTTS I was done with the character.

Do we also want every movie to have the Shredder as the antoganist? I'm steeling myself that it's likely that will happen anyway but I'd rather it didn't.

Klank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:03 AM   #243
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanged-Hunter View Post

So much info seems to be giving honorable nods to the comics, cartoon, and past movies
while still setting up its own direction, I just can't help but wonder if Fichtner isn't really playing THE Shredder we're thinking of.
Speaking of the famous Batman films.
I can only speak for myself really but, I saw neither an Arabic man nor did I see Arabic iconography outside of the name "Demons head" itself during the course of Begins. I might be missing something but neither the man they got to play Ra's nor his decoy appear to be of Arab anything.

I suppose a big movie about an arab terrorist would have been pushing it post 911 but still. Fan boys let it go, probably because they saw the film and liked the film. Fan boys seem to not be letting this equal measure change go because they have seen the film and......

Perhaps the wait and see approach might be more appropriate.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:15 PM   #244
SpideyFan866
Hero Support

I HIGHLY doubt they will do a bait and switch ala IM3.

Its as I said before, they'll be doing The Shredder like Christopher Nolan did Ra's Al Ghul and Bane.

In the comics, Ra's Al Ghul was Arabian, however in the film he was British. And he was a member of the centuries old ninja sect, The League of Shadows, and eventually took over when their leader died, even taking on his leader's name.

Nolan's Bane was of an unspecified ethnicity, and when he took over the League of Shadows, he adopted guerilla warfare type tactics, and militarized the entire organization, in the process swapping out traditional ninja weapons for military grade weaponry.

Now the Shredder will borrow from both.

A) Like Ra's, he will be Caucasian or of unknown ethnicity/background and

B) He will have taken over a long existing ninja clan.

C) And like Bane, he will have taken over and militarized the group.

D) Adopting guerilla warfare type tactics and swapping traditional ninja weaponry, for military grade weapons.

and

E) Like Bane, will be masked for the vast majority of the film.

SpideyFan866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:22 PM   #245
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyFan866 View Post

Nolan's Bane was of an unspecified ethnicity, and when he took over the League of Shadows, he adopted guerilla warfare type tactics, and militarized the entire organization, in the process swapping out traditional ninja weapons for military grade weaponry.

D) Adopting guerilla warfare type tactics and swapping traditional ninja weaponry, for military grade weapons.
Completely didn't notice that he militarized the LOS.
obvious really.

Can't see how anyone can not have an open mind at this point. LOS is supposed to be ninjas.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:01 AM   #246
jacobed
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
It's really extraordinary, even when Michael Bay does something right, he still manages to screw it up. Casting William Fitchner in the movie, excellent. He's a great actor and just awesome in general. Casting him to play the Shredder, no, just no. Shredder should be Japanese, not a white guy.
Um Bay didn't cast the movie.

jacobed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:47 PM   #247
TheFirstAvenger
Marvel/Dc fan

Bay will get the blame for everything. Even if he didn't do it.

TheFirstAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:51 PM   #248
Chris Wallace
LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...

I love Fichtner and I normally don't trip about race-swapping, but I CANNOT get behind this.

Chris Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:20 PM   #249
Gamma Goliath
Engine of Destruction

I didn't know people were still tripping over the shredder race swap. Lol

Old 08-30-2013, 10:27 PM   #250
Tanin
Tsukino Usagi

With Karai being cast as an Asian I just wonder WTF is going on with this film.

Tanin is offline   Reply With Quote