The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: The Dark World

Old 08-10-2013, 04:58 AM   #926
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: Thor: The Dark World Trailer Thread

I really liked the portion of the score when Thor gets banished. Some excellent build up in that scene.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
craigdbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 05:17 AM   #927
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

I like the music on the Frost Giant's home. And the musical cues in the scene where Thor first attempts to lift the hammer are poignant to me. It makes you feel for this big, good lookin' tough guy, because at that moment he just wants to do something everybody can relate to: He just wants to go home. The music sells it, but then again Chris sells the hell out of it with his performance.

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
KRYPTON INC. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 05:36 AM   #928
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Yeah those were great moments. Totally agree with the feeling the viewer gets during those scenes. A wonderfully set ambiance due to both the music and the great performance from Chris.

On a side note relating to the whole acting selling the character point you made I honestly don't think The Avengers would have had the same impact on me had I not seen the fantastic performance by both Hemsworth and Evans. They did beyond an incredible job in creating these empathetic characters that we could easily and understandably cheer on.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
craigdbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:28 AM   #929
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
Actually... That's not bad. I hadn't thought of that, but the subversion of tropes for the entire runtime might be more of an explanation for fan fury at the film than even the use of the Mandarin... People just use the Mandarin as a catch all reason?

Hopefully DARK WORLD will be a little more... Straight forward?

That's the thing that gets to people about IM3, I think: Although it technically delivered everything people expected, it did it in unexpected ways. In other words, it wasn't a traditional, straightforward superhero/action movie, and that was upsetting. Fan often accuse Marvel of playing it safe, of not taking any chances with its movies, but in IM3 they took the enormous risk of going against genre conventions. That approach pissed off a lot of fans who wanted a straight up, A-B-C, by-the-book story that followed the structure of most other superhero films, with standard cookie-cutter villains to match.

Personally, I found it refreshing. Killian was a villain worthy of Iron Man, the first who didn't wear a metal suit, yet also the first who could take Stark on toe-to-toe without even breathing hard. The Extremis soldiers were great; their powers were identical to the comics, right down to the fire-breathing (which some fans ironically disliked). Tony's battles with PTSD and anxiety were very well written and acted, and were fitting for a normal man who had been forced to deal with very abnormal events. Killian was the perfect Mandarin and Mandarin was the perfect terrorist bogeyman. Most importantly, Tony Stark had a clear emotional arc that was fully developed and concluded in a satisfying manner, something that cannot be said of all superhero films. I was surprised and delighted by the film and walked out of the theater happy to have seen something quite unique, rather than another predictable comic book movie.

TDW will be a traditional film, which suits Thor and his world very well. Thor's uniqueness comes from the fantasy elements of his universe, rather than from narrative twists.

xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:57 AM   #930
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Torch View Post
Again.I mean,Pepper was the one to beat Stane (technically speaking). Tony also needed an assist from War Machine to beat Vanko.
And Pepper was the one who "defeated" Justin Hammer by cornering him and having him arrested.

And Tony left Raza to the townsfolk in Afghanistan.

And Coldblood was defeated by Remote Control Iron Man.

Technically, the only "confirmed solo kills" Tony Stark has are Ellen Brandt (and that was without the suit) and the whole frickin' Chitauri fleet (which is, admittedly, the biggest feather in an iron cap that anyone could ask for). Otherwise, all his movies have been about wiping out the cannon fodder but getting the assist for the win against the Big Bad from Pepper and/or Rhodey.

So people *suddenly* developing moral outrage against Pepper "stealing" the climactic win from Tony in IM3 are way, way late on that call.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:35 AM   #931
Loki882
Side-Kick

Because a lot of fans have trouble accepting anything new or different. The hero must do EVERYTHING, if anyone else does anything important its blasphemy. Pepper should have waited patiently for her man to come and save. Also, Batman doesn't kill, Catwoman does.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:36 AM   #932
Loki882
Side-Kick

Tony did all of the work throughout the entire film up to that point, calling him helpless is laughable.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:26 AM   #933
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Thor: The Dark World.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:49 AM   #934
Son of Coul
They call me Mr. Pym

Fans just flip out if their favorite characters aren't the "ULTIMATE BADASS" in every sense of the word. Also Pepper getting a taste of Tony's power at the end was to tie their relationship arc together, not solely because they were scared of making the woman look weak. Despite this, I've seen people still complain that IM3 was the only one that reduced Pepper to a damsel-in-distress.

You can't please anybody, even if you're geek God Joss Whedon now. Oh well, I guess he was corrupted by the Devil Feige.

Back on TDW, I find it interesting in the trailer that it suggests Thor, Loki, and Jane are going off together, but Jane is notably absent in certain parts, like when Thor and Loki are going up the mountain. Weren't there rumors of her being possessed a long while back?

Son of Coul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:44 AM   #935
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

They probably have to travel without her for a while in an attempt to save her if she gets spirited away or something.

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:05 PM   #936
ares834
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
And Pepper was the one who "defeated" Justin Hammer by cornering him and having him arrested.

And Tony left Raza to the townsfolk in Afghanistan.

And Coldblood was defeated by Remote Control Iron Man.

Technically, the only "confirmed solo kills" Tony Stark has are Ellen Brandt (and that was without the suit) and the whole frickin' Chitauri fleet (which is, admittedly, the biggest feather in an iron cap that anyone could ask for). Otherwise, all his movies have been about wiping out the cannon fodder but getting the assist for the win against the Big Bad from Pepper and/or Rhodey.

So people *suddenly* developing moral outrage against Pepper "stealing" the climactic win from Tony in IM3 are way, way late on that call.
How? Tony was actually involved in the defeat of both Stane and Vanko. It's entirely different in IM3 when Stark loses to the villain and needs to be saved by Pepper. Super Hero movies are about the hero overcoming their demons, both internal and external, but that doesn't happen in this film. Stark doesn't beat Killian, Pepper does.

I understand they wanted to put Pepper on an even playing field as Stark but they failed. Pepper, throughout the film, really serves as nothing more than Stark's girlfriend and suddenly she one ups him at the end. That doesn't work. If they actually wanted to make her Stark's equal than you have to do that throughout the film and give her some actual character development.

ares834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:18 PM   #937
Son of Coul
They call me Mr. Pym

Stark was in basically the same situation in IM1 that he was in IM3. Played the villain smartly, then got stuck in a broken/no suit. He's doomed in both until Pepper saves the day. And she had more development in this than IM2. She keeps Tony grounded, to use a cliche-- she's his rock. There's a reason RDJ wanted her in Avengers over Rhodey and why Black heeded Favreau's advice to "stick with the love story".

Old 08-10-2013, 12:27 PM   #938
ares834
Side-Kick

Except, in IM1, it was his plan that beat Stane. Yes, he didn't click the button but in all honesty that's the least important part.

And, while she may have more development than IM2, that's not saying much. Ultimately, her development in IM3 is virtually non-existent.

ares834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 01:31 PM   #939
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
Killian kidnapped and tortured Pepper, both to punish her for rejecting him and to use her as leverage to make Tony help with Extremis. After all she went through at his hands it was fitting that she delivered the death blow. Best of all, the ending of Iron Man 3 turned the lame-ass "Hero saves his defenseless girlfriend" trope on its ear. But then, the entire movie did nothing but subvert worn-out genre tropes for 2.25 hours, which is probably why so many hate it.

Quote:
Again.I mean,Pepper was the one to beat Stane
She hit a ****ing button for chrissakes. That's 'lending a hand' not 'beating the villain'

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 01:56 PM   #940
Loki882
Side-Kick

Yes, and all Catwoman did was press a button, but she still beat Bane.

Old 08-10-2013, 02:44 PM   #941
Human Torch
I Yam What I Yam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post

She hit a ****ing button for chrissakes. That's 'lending a hand' not 'beating the villain'
Tony was at Stane's mercy and in no position to defeat him.By definition,Pepper absolutely was the one that "beat" him.

Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 02:47 PM   #942
Human Torch
I Yam What I Yam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
Because a lot of fans have trouble accepting anything new or different. The hero must do EVERYTHING, if anyone else does anything important its blasphemy. Pepper should have waited patiently for her man to come and save. Also, Batman doesn't kill, Catwoman does.
That's another thing that lowers TDKR in my eyes.Traditionally,Catwoman was NEVER a killer.I doubt Batman would have much to do with her if she was.

Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 04:06 PM   #943
ctsketch
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post

1. And Tony left Raza to the townsfolk in Afghanistan.

2. And Coldblood was defeated by Remote Control Iron Man.

1. After beating him...

2. Errrr remotely controlled...by Iron Man.

ctsketch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 04:20 PM   #944
Chewy
REDACTED

LOL people really do love grumbling about the silliest things, don't they?

Anyway, back to our regularly scheduled programming

Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 04:23 PM   #945
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

Hemsworth looks different in that gif. Thinner or something.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
ThePhantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 04:30 PM   #946
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post

Are they about to fly to the moon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
I think it is the hair. Looks off imo.

Old 08-10-2013, 05:23 PM   #947
Son of Coul
They call me Mr. Pym

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
obvsly chris h is malnourish

Old 08-10-2013, 06:03 PM   #948
LadyGeek
Side-Kick

[/QUOTE]

Love this image of the two brothers. I'm wondering if this is when Thor has Loki released from prison. Loki looks pleased; Thor looks anxious. Maybe they are on their way to meet with Odin? In this scene, Loki's hands aren't bound; they are in the others of him and Thor, Jane, and company in Asgard, I believe. Perhaps Odin insists on the cuffs?

Dad is such a killjoy.

LadyGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:18 PM   #949
Adamantium
Your King

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
Like I said, Iron Man had already pretty much brought Killian to near death Pepper just finished the job.
It didn't ruin the movie for by any means. I think what makes me not like it that much is that I was confused and thinking "hmm I don't know, how did she blast him with Ironman's arm attached to her arm?" Because Tony looked in shock after she whooped Killian. So I was left to assume that Jarvis summoned the armor to Pepper. It just seemed far fetched. Was there something I missed? If not Jarvis, how could Pepper possibly summon the armor to herself? I know this is the Thor trailer, but does anybody have an answer for this? If I go post in the IM3 thread my question might get overlooked. So since it was being mentioned here, I thought I'd ask real quick.

Adamantium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:31 PM   #950
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
Tony was at Stane's mercy and in no position to defeat him.By definition,Pepper absolutely was the one that "beat" him.
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
Yes.

Quote:

All this needs is an explosion behind them.

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote