The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 01:50 AM   #51
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Default Re: DOFP vs other 2014 ComicsMovies Thread [Buzz, BoxOffice and more]

I know jack s**t about BO, but I don know I anticipate DoFP more than any other movie next year. By far.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:05 PM   #52
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

I'm pretty sure it will be FOX's biggest and top grossing film next year!

"Once you cage the beast, the beast gets angry" - X3
"Patience isn't my strongest suit" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
Old 08-09-2013, 09:06 PM   #53
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

The Wolverine is #1 in IMDb right now and Days of Future Past is #3! Origins, First Class and The Last Stand are also in the top 100!

http://pro.imdb.com/moviemeter/?d=tt_moviemeter_why

"Once you cage the beast, the beast gets angry" - X3
"Patience isn't my strongest suit" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
Old 08-10-2013, 05:21 AM   #54
Mystique's Leg
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
The Wolverine is #1 in IMDb right now and Days of Future Past is #3! Origins, First Class and The Last Stand are also in the top 100!

http://pro.imdb.com/moviemeter/?d=tt_moviemeter_why
Very impressive for a May 2014 release! Jennifer Lawrence is also nr. 1 (my God, she has been nr. 1 or top 10 for like ages!) and Hugh Jackman is nr. 3.

Old 08-10-2013, 05:36 AM   #55
Angamb
Banned User

great!

Old 08-10-2013, 03:12 PM   #56
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay

While I won't put a price tag on it just yet, there are two substantial reasons why I believe DoFP will be a gigantic blockbuster:

1.) The Cast: You guys mention these other CBMs, but none of them have this many critically-acclaimed, Academy Award winners under one roof. Just Hugh Jackman, Halle Berry, Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellan and Anna Paquin alone has box office blitzkrieg written all over it. But when you ADD young titans like Jennifer Lawrence, Michael Fassbender and James McAvoy? It's simply just a hugely combustible combination of talented actors on screen. People don't just pay to see great SFX...they also pay to see great acting first and foremost. We will get loads of it with DoFP's cast. That equals big bank.

2.) The Reunion Factor: Closely related to my No. 1 reason, bringing the old cast back together after so many years may have a similar impact to Avengers--especially some of them have been seen in solo films since X-Men: The Last Stand. People pay for nostalgia. Audiences love familiarity and seeing the OT cast together will just feel good again. And let's be honest: the entire modern day comic book movie phenomenon started in 2000 with Bryan Singer's X-Men. That film closed the chapter on the cheesiness of the old 80s Batman and Superman franchises and opened the doors for the entire Marvel Universe to be taken seriously.

Spider-Man, Avengers, Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, etc...all of these successful franchises are "the children."

But The X-Men is the mother who birthed them all.

Old 08-10-2013, 03:30 PM   #57
xrs13
Cold as ice

Part of me, whilst being a small part, will Always be smug at the fact that whilst the Avengers was such a big film and everyone loves Whedon for it, it was Singer and the X-Men that made it possible. And that is fact, you can say all you want that it could have happened regardless but it took a lot of convincing for them to make the film and singer managed to break back into the superhero market with the idea of superheroes in real life. something that I personally dont feel the current marvel films have done. I say that because for ME and I say that so people dont gun me down, for me I want to be immersed into the film and feel like it could be real and the X-men were the best team to do it with because they were just mutations which in reality do exist. And I think they did it in a way that still outshines the Marvel films. Iron man 1 sorta managed to do it which is why its up there on my top film list.

Old 08-10-2013, 04:05 PM   #58
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

Marvel Studios would be nothing without that first X-men movie.

Old 08-10-2013, 04:07 PM   #59
Mars123
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnDz0n3 View Post
Marvel Studios would be nothing without that first X-men movie.
Praise the xmen! Wooooo

Old 08-10-2013, 04:15 PM   #60
NanaT
X-Men United!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strykez! View Post
While I won't put a price tag on it just yet, there are two substantial reasons why I believe DoFP will be a gigantic blockbuster:

1.) The Cast: You guys mention these other CBMs, but none of them have this many critically-acclaimed, Academy Award winners under one roof. Just Hugh Jackman, Halle Berry, Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellan and Anna Paquin alone has box office blitzkrieg written all over it. But when you ADD young titans like Jennifer Lawrence, Michael Fassbender and James McAvoy? It's simply just a hugely combustible combination of talented actors on screen. People don't just pay to see great SFX...they also pay to see great acting first and foremost. We will get loads of it with DoFP's cast. That equals big bank.

2.) The Reunion Factor: Closely related to my No. 1 reason, bringing the old cast back together after so many years may have a similar impact to Avengers--especially some of them have been seen in solo films since X-Men: The Last Stand. People pay for nostalgia. Audiences love familiarity and seeing the OT cast together will just feel good again. And let's be honest: the entire modern day comic book movie phenomenon started in 2000 with Bryan Singer's X-Men. That film closed the chapter on the cheesiness of the old 80s Batman and Superman franchises and opened the doors for the entire Marvel Universe to be taken seriously.

Spider-Man, Avengers, Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, etc...all of these successful franchises are "the children."

But The X-Men is the mother who birthed them all.
Completely agree! It's time I think for the X-Men to reclaim the superhero movie throne. The Dark Knight and The Avengers have sat on it but all they've done is keep it warm for the real kings and queens of the genre to return. The X-Men are cinematic gems. After 8 long years they are finally back.

(No offence First Class, loved you but you just didn't feel like the X-Men to me.)

- PROFESSOR CHARLES XAVIER
Old 08-10-2013, 04:19 PM   #61
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Sadly XMen having started the super hero crazy wont drive people to see the film, doesn't really work that way, xmen never made the big money in the first place

The 2 impressive casts will be a draw, but FOX does need to step up with the marketing also as big chance this will be the highest grossing xmen film, so far the marketing has been interesting and different which is a good sign

Old 08-10-2013, 04:24 PM   #62
Mars123
Side-Kick

Are there any wolverine statistics available to help Evaluate DOFP?

Old 08-10-2013, 04:28 PM   #63
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars123 View Post
Are there any wolverine statistics available to help Evaluate DOFP?
The wolverine is the first 3D Xmen movie

Old 08-10-2013, 04:29 PM   #64
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

The Critical acclaim for first class will help DOFP also, not sure about the wolverine

Last edited by GuestStar2004; 08-10-2013 at 04:44 PM.
Old 08-10-2013, 04:32 PM   #65
xrs13
Cold as ice

DOFP will actually be the first shot in 3d, The wolverine was converted

Old 08-10-2013, 04:34 PM   #66
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

I'm willing to bet any FC and OT sequels will be 3D from now on

Old 08-10-2013, 04:37 PM   #67
MarvelU
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestStar2004 View Post
I'm willing to bet any FC and OT sequels will be 3D from now on
I would also love for an X-Men movie to be on IMAX, one day.

Old 08-10-2013, 04:46 PM   #68
xrs13
Cold as ice

Shock Re: DOFP vs other 2014 ComicsMovies Thread [Buzz, BoxOffice and more]

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvelU View Post
I would also love for an X-Men movie to be on IMAX, one day.
Will dofp not be IMAX?

Old 08-10-2013, 05:02 PM   #69
MarvelU
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrs13 View Post
Will dofp not be IMAX?
No, they would have announced it by now, well I think. Plus if you go on the IMAX website they seem to be set for next year releases and X-Men is not there. I am not sure though, but I don't think it will be.

Old 08-10-2013, 06:12 PM   #70
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestStar2004 View Post
Sadly XMen having started the super hero crazy wont drive people to see the film, doesn't really work that way, xmen never made the big money in the first place
Yeah I think that with the new shiny franchises on the scene, X-Men might feel like yesterday's news to many people.

Plus I don't think that the general audience is anywhere as nostalgic about the old cast, particularly its minor characters, as the die-hard fans are. Especially when its most popular character has hardly been away from the screen in the meantime and just appeared in his own solo film a year before. And also when the X-Men movies never had the popularity of say Harry Potter or Star Wars or LoTR or some of its fellow CBMs. Not to say that the old cast won't be a draw, but not to the extent of automatically making DoFP a ginormous blockbuster.

Last edited by Mrs Vimes; 08-10-2013 at 06:32 PM.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:17 PM   #71
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Nostalgia factor, the 2 impressive casts, critical acclaim of first class, bigger scale movie, so i believe quite a few reasons why DOFP should break 500 million

Old 08-10-2013, 07:29 PM   #72
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

Yeah I can see 500 million.

I just wonder if that would be enough in the eyes of the industry/studio considering the expectations and higher budget. The expectations for this aren't the same as for FC and The Wolverine; they're throwing everything and the kitchen sink in this time.

Last edited by Mrs Vimes; 08-10-2013 at 07:45 PM.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:04 PM   #73
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Vimes View Post
Yeah I can see 500 million.

I just wonder if that would be enough in the eyes of the industry/studio considering the expectations and higher budget. The expectations for this aren't the same as for FC and The Wolverine; they're throwing everything and the kitchen sink in this time.
A $500 million world wide box-office gross wouldn't please the diehard fans of the X-Men films, but it may be seen by the studio as a step in the right direction for a franchise that has been experiencing declining box office grosses for quite some time.

If FOX can keep up the quality of their last two mutant films with DOFP, the studio could keep humming along with steady though unspectacular returns with X-Force, New Mutants or perhaps Excalibur (which I think is the "mash up" Singer was teasing at the Fantasia Festival).

Old 08-10-2013, 09:00 PM   #74
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Vimes View Post
Plus I don't think that the general audience is anywhere as nostalgic about the old cast, particularly its minor characters, as the die-hard fans are.
Die-hard fans account for a significant percentage of the repeat viewings and buzz that will sustain this film after its opening weekend. And its the enthusiasm of the fans, coupled with that of the media that may have a huge influence on the general audience (word of mouth, casual fans, etc.,). This is evidenced in the huge boom in sales as seen in The Last Stand over X-Men United. The latter film is what truly brought this franchise mainstream, and if FOX markets it properly even the general audience will feel the need to come out for "the reunion."

However, I do agree with you that there may be a notion of "been-there, done that" with commercials, etc. When I viewed the leaked footage I definitely felt that way (for all 38 seconds ). So FOX should figure out some more creative ways of marketing it so it does seem like an "event" film that is fresh and different from what has preceded it.

So far, the posters suggest something new is afoot.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:03 PM   #75
Lightning Strykez!

As far as numbers...I'm inclined to agree with Guest Star, Mrs. Vimes and Zarex: I think $500M is a strong and commendable number for Days Of Future Past, especially considering it is double the gross of X-Men: The Last Stand--the last film to feature the original ensemble.

Anything north of $500M is generous...and unlikely.

Closed Thread