Unlikely? Unlikely.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:32 PM   #77
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay

Default Re: DOFP vs other 2014 ComicsMovies Thread [Buzz, BoxOffice and more]

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMM View Post
Unlikely? Unlikely.
You think DoFP will gross more than $500M domestically? I don't see that happening considering the trends as seen in the last few franchise entries. Now, if you're talking $500M-plus internationally that may be reasonable, but I don't see anything beyond that.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:50 PM   #78
BMM
Side-Kick

Oh. Wow. You're talking individually. That will teach me to post without reading all the way through. Haha. I was talking worldwide.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:58 PM   #79
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strykez! View Post
As far as numbers...I'm inclined to agree with Guest Star, Mrs. Vimes and Zarex: I think $500M is a strong and commendable number for Days Of Future Past, especially considering it is double the gross of X-Men: The Last Stand--the last film to feature the original ensemble.
The Last Stand grossed about $460M internationally. If DoFP makes $500M it's probably less when adjusted for ticket price rise and 3D.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:03 PM   #80
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strykez! View Post
While I won't put a price tag on it just yet, there are two substantial reasons why I believe DoFP will be a gigantic blockbuster:

1.) The Cast: You guys mention these other CBMs, but none of them have this many critically-acclaimed, Academy Award winners under one roof. Just Hugh Jackman, Halle Berry, Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellan and Anna Paquin alone has box office blitzkrieg written all over it. But when you ADD young titans like Jennifer Lawrence, Michael Fassbender and James McAvoy? It's simply just a hugely combustible combination of talented actors on screen. People don't just pay to see great SFX...they also pay to see great acting first and foremost. We will get loads of it with DoFP's cast. That equals big bank.

2.) The Reunion Factor: Closely related to my No. 1 reason, bringing the old cast back together after so many years may have a similar impact to Avengers--especially some of them have been seen in solo films since X-Men: The Last Stand. People pay for nostalgia. Audiences love familiarity and seeing the OT cast together will just feel good again. And let's be honest: the entire modern day comic book movie phenomenon started in 2000 with Bryan Singer's X-Men. That film closed the chapter on the cheesiness of the old 80s Batman and Superman franchises and opened the doors for the entire Marvel Universe to be taken seriously.

Spider-Man, Avengers, Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, etc...all of these successful franchises are "the children."

But The X-Men is the mother who birthed them all.
The return of the original cast will definitely be a big selling point! Its a first for a superhero film series!

Batman, Superman, Spider-Man, Hulk (and soon Fantastic Four/Batman) have been rebooted so they couldn't capture that feeling of having the original cast coming back for another film (after a long break) but X-Men will. With X-Men we got a 8 year break from the OT cast to make room for the spin-offs and now that people know the OT cast is officially back, the X-Men are once again in people's radar. First Class/The Wolverine were never in people's radar 12 to 5 months before its release date. And the fact that X-Men started this wave of superhero film series is a big plus!

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018

Last edited by psylockolussus; 08-10-2013 at 10:28 PM.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:11 PM   #81
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
And the fact that X-Men started this wave of superhero film series is a big plus!
I don't think this fact is going to help sell tickets any better. That's only of interest to film buffs.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:11 PM   #82
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Vimes View Post
Yeah I think that with the new shiny franchises on the scene, X-Men might feel like yesterday's news to many people.
Umm if its currently the #3 most trending movie in the internet's biggest movie website, IMDb then no.

And box-office websites such BoxOffice.com already speculated that DOFP might be one of the biggest films of 2014.

Quote:
I don't think this fact is going to help sell tickets any better. That's only of interest to film buffs.
People are not gonna buy tickets just because it was the first superhero film series to be really successful after Batman/Superman. But its a plus because the press will take notice of that.

"'Nuff said" - SM3
Old 08-10-2013, 10:17 PM   #83
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarex View Post
A $500 million world wide box-office gross wouldn't please the diehard fans of the X-Men films, but it may be seen by the studio as a step in the right direction for a franchise that has been experiencing declining box office grosses for quite some time.
Yes! The main reason why the X-Men movies keep declining in the movies is because the last 3 X-Men films are spin-offs, which all featured a brand new cast to the GA. Plain and simple, I don't think its that hard to notice. Like I said, spin-offs usually don't outgross the main series/original trilogy except if its the Hobbit or the Star Wars.

"'Nuff said" - SM3
Old 08-10-2013, 10:17 PM   #84
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

Quote:
Umm if its currently the #3 most trending movie in the internet's biggest movie website, IMDb then no.

And box-office websites such BoxOffice.com already speculated that DOFP might be one of the biggest films of 2014.
Trending on internet doesn't really mean much - it tends to make things appear much bigger than they really are.

And if I remember right none of the box office sites predicted The Wolverine to have the lowest domestic opening of any X-Men movie. Which nonetheless happened.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:22 PM   #85
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Trending on internet doesn't really mean much - it tends to make things appear much bigger than they really are.

And if I remember right none of the box office sites predicted The Wolverine to have the lowest domestic opening of any X-Men movie. Which nonetheless happened.
The Wolverine didn't have a buzz like this last year. The buzz for that movie only started this March when we saw the trailer. And the box-office predictions for The Wolverine were completely OFF The marketing was weak and I was right with my prediction with an opening weekend gross of 40 to 60 million.

The Wolverine also didn't trend a lot MONTHS before its release. And DOFp has been trending since last year starting with the cast announcements, Singer's tweets in Twitter about the film, the Quicksilver situation, Comic-Con panel, The Wolverine's mid-credits scene and now the leak footage.

The Wolverine didn't get much attention like what DOFP is getting right now, 9 months before the release date.

"'Nuff said" - SM3

Last edited by psylockolussus; 08-10-2013 at 10:25 PM.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:29 PM   #86
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

Yes but most of that interest and trending is likely to be coming from the core fans who already have a strong interest in the movie. Most of the general public wouldn't have folowed Singer's tweets, Comic-Con etc. I followed nothing about The Avengers when it was getting made and the only time the movie came onto my radar was right before it was released. Sure different websites report on the news but that's their job. They report casting announcements etc. every single day.

Last edited by Mrs Vimes; 08-10-2013 at 10:33 PM.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:36 PM   #87
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Yes but most of that interest and trending is likely to be coming from the core fans who already have a strong interest in the movie. Most of the general public wouldn't have folowed Singer's tweets, Comic-Con etc. I followed nothing about The Avengers when it was getting made and the only time the movie came onto my radar was right before it was released. Sure different websites report on the news but that's their job. They report casting announcements etc. every single day.
Still the buzz for this film is way bigger than the buzz for The Wolverine, First Class and upcoming films such as Captain America 2, Thor 2, Guardians of the Galaxy and even Amazing Spider-Man two. If you think DOFP won't live up to its hype, what about those other superhero films who are barely trending or what about a X-Men film just featuring the First Class cast (the cast that you prefer).

"'Nuff said" - SM3
Old 08-10-2013, 10:38 PM   #88
Tristan_McClark
Side-Kick

It's been said earlier that this film has the combination of both new and old cast and the reunion factor, so I won't get into that. I completely agree, this cast is massive, moreso than any other comic book movie I can think of. Just how many award winners and nominees are there?

The public has never seen the X-Men time travel nor fight giant robots. This isn't mutant vs. mutant anymore. It's a different formula that is fresh. Mutants, time travel, robots, assassinations, awesome! It's not an invasion movie (too many came out in the past six years). It's something different.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:55 PM   #89
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

DOFP is like mix of Avengers, Star Wars Episode 7, Back to the Future and Transformers!!! It will be very appealing to the general audience.

"'Nuff said" - SM3
Old 08-11-2013, 12:23 AM   #90
PoSeiDon
Side-Kick

Quote:
DOFP is like mix of Avengers, Star Wars Episode 7, Back to the Future and Transformers!!! It will be very appealing to the general audience.
Honestly, I think that remains to be seen. However, if the trailers are kick ass, and they have the likes of sci fi king/acting titans like Ian and Patrick, women love seeing Hugh Jackman all buffed up, Oscar winner and True Blood star Anna, Oscar winner and every1s favorite villain Halle Berry, I think Fox can market that for everything its worth.

I am a huge Fassbender fan based on his acting skills alone. Fox can market this two fold with Fassbender, Mcavoy, Lawrence along with the OTC.

Remember those specials on FOX for the OT, like mini prequels to each movie? I think those were effective. I hope they go back to doing that. But GOD, the OT and FC cast on GMA would be epic! Fox has the cards to play!

I don't think it will make or cross 1 billion but I'm looking at 500 mil or more. X-men, unlike the comic, is a niche in the movie verse. And they have built some good will with critics and general audiences alike with FC and a decent Wolverine.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:06 AM   #91
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

Quote:
Still the buzz for this film is way bigger than the buzz for The Wolverine, First Class and upcoming films such as Captain America 2, Thor 2, Guardians of the Galaxy and even Amazing Spider-Man two. If you think DOFP won't live up to its hype, what about those other superhero films who are barely trending or what about a X-Men film just featuring the First Class cast (the cast that you prefer).
How well all those other films do also remains to be seen.

I just think that it's way too early to predict big things now based on trending, tweeting and an incomplete leaked lowres trailer. And that while the film has some factors going for it, it also has other factors working against it. At the very least, we'd need to see the first official trailer, with the finished special effects and everything.

Maybe the new stuff like time travel and robots will get the audience's interest, but then it's not like they were never seen on screen before. And dystopian movies are honestly dime a dozen these days. Will the public think them special because they were never used in an X-Men movie? Maybe, maybe not.

Last edited by Mrs Vimes; 08-11-2013 at 02:14 AM.
Old 08-11-2013, 02:12 AM   #92
Repulsor Blast
Walloping Websnappers

i posted this in the spidey forums as well.

people are pumped for DOFP it would seem

www.redlettermedia.com
Old 08-11-2013, 02:16 AM   #93
PoSeiDon
Side-Kick

Quote:
I just think that it's way too early to predict big things now based on trending, tweeting and an incomplete leaked lowres trailer. And that while the film has some factors going for it, it also has other factors working against it.

Maybe the new stuff like time travel and robots will get the audience's interest, but then it's not like they were never seen on screen before. And dystopian movies are honestly dime a dozen these days. Will the public think them special because they were never used in an X-Men movie? Maybe, maybe not.
Agreed. Fox shot themselves in the foot with how they handled the change in creative leadership for X3. But Rothman is gone, I believe?

One thing Fox has going for it at this point is that they can promote the hell out of this movie 10 fold just because of the acting talent. They are in a wining position for the moment. I also believe Singer being back with help with cinema buffs. They generally loved his work with the first two X-films and they will be talking about his return in the lead up to DOFP release.

The ball is in their court! We peons will just have to wait. For some, they must keep unrealistic numbers in check!

Old 08-11-2013, 02:18 AM   #94
PoSeiDon
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repulsor Blast View Post

i posted this in the spidey forums as well.

people are pumped for DOFP it would seem

I am excited also. But I won't put stock in a poll like that and base it against potential world wide box office numbers. Lord Of the Rings and Transformers 4 will rule all. The smart thing Fox did was move X-men up to May. I think in this day n age people are getting summer movie fatigue/sequel fatigue. The earlier the better and that right now is in their favor. The will soon be knocked off the radar when DC gets rollin' in 2015, shame.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:53 AM   #95
BlackFox
Almost ninja

Another Fast and the Furious!?!! My god they knock them out quick, its turned into the CoD of movies.

(X-Men-Apocalypse:Brace yourselves, WAR is coming)
Old 08-11-2013, 03:17 AM   #96
Mars123
Side-Kick

I think 500 mill us domestic and international is achievable, considering 3D pricing and the super star cast, plus the wolverine had a had good reception, which surely will help.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:07 AM   #97
GenUsername
Side-Kick

Honestly if Superman is doing $650mil there is no way Xmen can do better. The Wolverine is probably gonna end up close to $400mil, and I imagine DOFP will do only $450mil to $500mil (which I dont really see happening). Hype from the fans that were gonna watch the movie anyway doesn't really mean much. If another studio did the same viral ads for a movie with a "geeky" audience they would probably see the same results.

The cast coming back will probably not pay a huge factor. The last film with the old cast came out 8 years ago, and with the Xmen franchise not having that insane-mega franchise vibe, missing out on Merchandise tie ins and TV cartoon shows over the past couple years, kids and possibly teenagers under the age of 16 just wont give a damn that Anna Paquin is playing Rogue again, and the people that do were probably already invested in the franchise anyway.

The Xmen characters just dont have the popularity they once did, and with Fox not being allowed to have Cartoons and merchandise ads play on kids TV constantly to promote the movie (i still see iron man ads when my kid watches nickelodeon), as well as build familiarity with the characters, the studio that allowed Thor to out gross Wolverine are will probably for the next Captain America to out gross their Xmen film.

Also the US have some movies coming out the week later that could really slow momentum, a Pixar movie would likely take away the family audience and the Seth Macfarlane comedy (considering how well his last film did) could take away young adults and some teens. I just dont see how DOFP, financially, could be the summer mega hit Fans want. It will do good though but it just wont re-position the franchise into that Summer-Juggernaut area that Pixar, Marvel, Transformers and even Fast and Furious are currently in. I imagine Fox would want that if they plan on expanding their X universe.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:34 AM   #98
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

it could make 600 million with the benefits that both FC and OT cast bring to the movie, oh and robots, big robots =)

Old 08-11-2013, 11:35 AM   #99
xrs13
Cold as ice

Do we know how much this film is costing to make? Big cast, big actors, big effects. surely it will be a lot more than any other x-men film.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:48 AM   #100
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrs13 View Post
Do we know how much this film is costing to make? Big cast, big actors, big effects. surely it will be a lot more than any other x-men film.
think the budget is something like 225 or 250 million, not sure

Last edited by GuestStar2004; 08-11-2013 at 11:52 AM.
Closed Thread