The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Star Trek > Star Trek Into Darkness

Old 05-19-2013, 05:23 PM   #26
godisawesome
Side-Kick

Default Re: The USS Vengeance

The reason why it's a giant, scaled up Enterprise, instead of some sleek, small, and compact little fighter like the Defiant makes sense when you think of the fact that "Harrison" built it.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Khan probably was still relatively limited in what knowledge he has of future tech, so he thought the way he would if he were still in the Eugenics wars. He probably started with the already advanced and powerful Enterprise than made a lot of efficiency driven decisions but followed it up by sticking in more weapons, more engines, and more shielding. And he probably thought like a tyrant when he built it, so he probably designed it to be intimidating as well. Alternatively, he wanted to make a ship with weaknesses he could exploit but could still give to the Admiral. The whole ship got shutdown by one random engineer and commandeered by one superhuman and two regular Starfleet officers. It's just begging to be taken over once it's shield's are down.

-C.S. Lewis
godisawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:47 PM   #27
DKDetective
"He'll be a god to them."

Personally, I thought its design lacked any subtlety, but what do you expect of the team that turned the Enterprise into a unbalanced hot rod (on the outside, they did a great job with the interior).
It was far too blatantly a bad guy ship. It would have been much more interesting if they went with the idea that the the Vengeance was more than she appeared. Also, it would have been more meaningful and unnerving if Marcus and his crew wore normal Starfleet uniforms during the confrontation.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:38 PM   #28
Octoberist
point blank

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDetective View Post
Personally, I thought its design lacked any subtlety, but what do you expect of the team that turned the Enterprise into a unbalanced hot rod (on the outside, they did a great job with the interior).
It was far too blatantly a bad guy ship. It would have been much more interesting if they went with the idea that the the Vengeance was more than she appeared. Also, it would have been more meaningful and unnerving if Marcus and his crew wore normal Starfleet uniforms during the confrontation.
Your angers gives me great pleasure!

Old 05-19-2013, 09:14 PM   #29
DKDetective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
Your angers gives me great pleasure!
Bahh! And I am the "venomous" and "nasty" one for being pleased that the movie is underperforming. At least, I don't take direct pleasure in others' displeasure.

Old 05-19-2013, 10:00 PM   #30
Doctor Jones
Known as Strider

I actually had a blowing of the mind when the Vengeance overshot the Enterprise in Warp Drive.

"We've always defined ourselves by the ability to overcome the impossible. And we count these moments. These moments when we dare to aim higher. To break barriers... to reach for the stars... to make the unknown known. We count these moments as our proudest achievements. But we lost all that. Or perhaps we've just forgotten that we're still pioneers... that we've barely begun and that our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us. That our destiny lies above us."
Doctor Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:14 PM   #31
DKDetective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jones View Post
I actually had a blowing of the mind when the Vengeance overshot the Enterprise in Warp Drive.
Really? That sort of thing was very common in old Trek. I did enjoy how they made the Enterprise being forced to drop out of warp more visually interesting, although it doesn't make much sense given how warp drive works.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:02 AM   #32
DaddlerTheDalek
Starship Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strykez! View Post
This thing was an absolute beast in action. And the point where it
caught up to the Enterprise mid-warp with that terrifying buzzing sound
was truly crazy!
This Scene was Awesome on the Big Screen!

DaddlerTheDalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:36 AM   #33
VM1138
Side-Kick

Quote:
Really? That sort of thing was very common in old Trek. I did enjoy how they made the Enterprise being forced to drop out of warp more visually interesting, although it doesn't make much sense given how warp drive works.

A lot of people have problems with the physics and visuals, but I don't because of this very reason. A lot of actions in old Trek were static. And maybe that's scientifically sound, but it's not dramatic at all. Dropping out of warp like that just adds to the visual excitement. I can't criticize Abrams like some people do, because for all his focus on visual effects, he never forgets characters and story, unlike someone like Michael Bay.

He makes popcorn fare (which a lot of hardcore Trekkers hate) but there IS a great deal of heart in these two Trek movies that has been missing since Star Trek VI.

VM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:21 PM   #34
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

The Vengeance was great, would have liked the Enterprise to give it a bit more of a fight than it though, especially after the Narada gave it an ass-kicking in the last movie.

1)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(2)The Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(3)The Amazing Spider-Man 2-8(4)The Lego Movie-7.5(5)Robocop-7.5(6)300:Rise Of An Empire-7
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:38 PM   #35
Destructus86
Side-Kick

Quote:
That was the point. It wasn't supposed to be subtle. The Klingons were supposed to see the ship and be like "Oh crap! Guess we're gonna die with honor, huh?"

FEAR was one of its weapons.

Old 05-20-2013, 02:25 PM   #36
Pink Ranger
TV Poster, Radio Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructus86 View Post
That was the point. It wasn't supposed to be subtle. The Klingons were supposed to see the ship and be like "Oh crap! Guess we're gonna die with honor, huh?"

FEAR was one of its weapons.
Fear and surprise, surprise and fear ... TWO of its weapons! Its two weapons are fear and surprise ... and ruthless efficiency! It's THREE chief weapons are fear, surprise and ruthless efficiency ... and a fanatical loyalty to the Prime Directive. Dammit, let's try this again ...

Notice to all Hype members: Put down your phone and/or game controller right now and pick up a copy of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. A must-read for anybody who visits this website.
Pink Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:36 PM   #37
cloverfan98
Side-Kick

Fear will keep these Klingons in line. Fear of this battlestat- I mean warship.

cloverfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:35 AM   #38
titansupes
Side-Kick

I loved this ship. Even though it's been three movies in a row of "Big, black super-powerful bad guy ship thrashes the Enterprises", this ship was probably my favourite of the three. It was strangely unsettling to see a dark mirror to the Enterprise.

Abrams is so great at staging and timing action. I audibly gasped when the Vengeance made her grand entrance. It shocked me. Usually when the bad guy ship shows up, it's a slower reveal, we see it from a distance then a shot with the Enterprise in the background. That's basically how it was in the preceding movie and Nemesis, and various Next Gen episodes. But in STID... The Enterprise is big in front of us, then BOOM! Fantastic.

And I said out loud by accident 'Oh, ****!' when the it caught up with the Ent in warp. Great shot and sound.

titansupes is offline   Reply With Quote