The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 08-08-2013, 09:17 AM   #1
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Default Marvel One-Shots

I used the forum search but found no thread dedicated to this specific topic so I decided to just go ahead and create a brand new one. However, if there IS a thread out there, that I couldn't find, please feel free to ignore this one or merge it or just do as you feel.

So, what exactly is this about? It's about the Marvel One-Shots, the shortfilms, included on the MCU blurays. Some of them, like The Consultant have deep implications on the broader MCU and explain certain plot points that were dropped as plans for the metaplot changed, trying to retie them into the narrative. some of them are just fun.

This is the place to discuss them or talk about what you want to see in future shortfilms, which characters you prefer to appear in them.

Have fun.

post scriptum: I'll try to keep that following list updated over the next few years

The Consultant (Thor BR)
A Funny Thing Happend On The Way To Thor's Hammer (CA:TFA BR)
Item 47 (TA BR)
Agent Carter (IM3 BR)
All Hail The King (T:TDW BR)

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

Last edited by R_Hythlodeus; 02-03-2014 at 06:37 PM.
R_Hythlodeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:26 AM   #2
T"Challa
Side-Kick

Default Re: Marvel One-Shots

I would love to see a Hawkeye One Shot. He's the Avenger with the least exposure thus far and he would be budget-friendly. Gives an opportunity to delve into his character a little bit more. Shoot it next spring alongside Avengers 2 and release it with the Cap 2 or guardians Blu Ray

1. The Avengers 2. The Dark Knight 3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier . 4.X-Men:DOFP 5. Guardians Of The Galaxy 6.Spiderman 2 7. X2: X Men United. 8. Iron Man 9. Batman Begins. 10. X-Men: First Class
T"Challa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:29 AM   #3
seahammer
Side-Kick

Great idea for a thread, RH. I think about this idea more than I probably should...

I posted one idea on the Thor board, but I'll repost it here:
Quote:
That said, I would LOVE a "Marvel one-shot" that focused on the Warriors Three on their own mission (much like the Agent Carter one-shot). Something like a flashback to the W3 retrieving the Warlock's Eye from Harokin for Odin's vault would be awesome (but probably too expensive). Call it "Tales of Asgard" and make it happen, Marvel!!!!
If they were to do something this, they'd have to film it during T:TDW to save costs (and they'd have the actors/resources accessible, of course). It might not advance the "metaplot," but it would be a fun fill-in for the fans.

seahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:53 AM   #4
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by T"Challa View Post
I would love to see a Hawkeye One Shot. He's the Avenger with the least exposure thus far and he would be budget-friendly. Gives an opportunity to delve into his character a little bit more. Shoot it next spring alongside Avengers 2 and release it with the Cap 2 or guardians Blu Ray
A 'Budapest' one-shot would be nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahammer View Post
Great idea for a thread, RH. I think about this idea more than I probably should...
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahammer View Post
I posted one idea on the Thor board, but I'll repost it here:

If they were to do something this, they'd have to film it during T:TDW to save costs (and they'd have the actors/resources accessible, of course). It might not advance the "metaplot," but it would be a fun fill-in for the fans.
the W3 are good candidates for a shortfilm, depending on the story it might get a little costly, though

reposting the D'Esposito interview article from last month:

Quote:
Marvel co-president Louis D’Esposito, who directed both Item 47 and Agent Carter, offered some insight by way of what almost was: a stand-alone Loki short, a young Nick Fury story, a visit to Black Panther’s Wakanda, and maybe (someday) a Ms. Marvel or Black Widow film.

The big question every fan asks is: When will the One-Shots start featuring superheroes?
As the series builds, Marvel has done its best to keep expectations in check, trying to avoid leaping in too soon with its established characters.
“We would love to, but it’s difficult because there’s a cost to that,” explains D’Esposito. “If Iron Man is flying around doing something, that very costly. And first of all, what’s the story? Is it important that that superhero is in the story?”
The point of the One-Shots, which accompany Marvel’s feature films as extra features on their Blu-ray releases, is to give fans something different. If they already have a full-length Iron Man film, why make a short one?
“I’ve been asked many times too, would you introduce new characters?” D’Esposito says. “That even proves to be very difficult, just from a cost perspective. What does the costume look like? Who is the actor playing it? A lot of R&D goes into it. We have a great concept department here, a visual development department, and it takes time.”
One reason Marvel has been hesitant to reach too far into its character shelf is because committing to those casting and a costume decisions in a short-film could tie the hands of any director who ends up using those heroes in a feature.
But he acknowledges: they’re getting closer.
“We are,” D’Esposito says. “And I keep saying it: set the bar higher, let’s try it.”
Ms. Marvel and Loki — two One-Shot possibilities

When it comes to using a superhero in a One-Shot, D’Esposito offers this as a for-instance, a personal favorite: Ms. Marvel, a.k.a. Captain Marvel, a human hybrid who gets her powers when an explosion infuses her with extra-terrestrial DNA from the comic-book universe’s Kree aliens.
“Let’s just say I knew I was going to direct Captain Marvel [as a feature], right? And we knew who was going to play her,” D’Esposito says. That would make it easy to introduce her first in a One-Shot. “But that’s a plan that requires a lot of coordination. And I don’t know if really we … if I’ve been thinking that far ahead. It’s difficult enough to find something that’s enjoyable, that we can tell with the budget limitations and in the time we have. Introducing a lot of complicated variables might weaken that.”
Better not to do it, he reasons, than reach too far, too soon, and do it badly.
Budget and time are the primary restrictions. But Marvel is still dreaming big.
“I’m not gonna lie, when we were developing these [One-Shot] stories I was trying to develop a Loki story,” D’Esposito says. “And is he on Asgard?”
The trouble with that is Thor’s celestial realm is a major visual effects challenge. “Being on Asgard is very difficult for us to do in a short. It’s just impossible for us cost wise,” D’Esposito says. “The short would be 30 seconds, and it’s over. One shot of Loki on Asgard.”
That’s not what “one-shot” is supposed to mean.
Nick Fury’s Howling Commandos, or Black Panther?

“We also thought about potentially … let’s say a young Nick Fury with Dum Dum Dugan,” D’Esposito says. “Or a Black Panther short, maybe, in that [One-Shot format.]”
Both of those projects would make comic fans squee: Dum Dum Dugan (the bowler-hat-wearing mustachioed strong man played by Neal McDonough in 2011’s Captain America) has long fought alongside Fury in the Howling Commandos, featured in books dating from the early ‘60s up to the present day.
And Black Panther, the first black superhero, is another character many fans are dying to see on the big screen (and remains a real possibility for Marvel’s Phase 3.) But introducing him in a short becomes a question of resources: how do you show his fictional African nation of Wakanda on the budget for a DVD extra? That aside, just casting an actor with the necessary badassery for the part would be tough for a short.
“It’s very complicated to do: who plays those characters? And designing the costume, getting it going … We tried,” D’Esposito says. “We were there in development, and we tried, but they were very difficult for all the reasons I gave. And we don’t want to do something that’s half baked because it’s not good for us and it’s not good for our fans.”
But fans can take heart: Agent Carter was also once an idea that was deemed too big for the One-Shot series, as well.
Now it’s a reality.
Agent Carter vs. the glass ceiling

Marvel considered making Agent Carter earlier in the One-Shot series, but when Captain America came out in 2011 the shorts weren’t expansive enough, and last year, Item 47 simply fit better as an addendum to The Avengers.
Agent Carter finally got the go-ahead because it was a good way to bridge Iron Man 3 and the upcoming Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Atwell was available to do it, it incorporated an established character from the comic books who had already been depicted in a film.
It helped the small budget that some of the effects shots depicting New York in the 1940s were already made for Captain America. That allowed D’Esposito and crew to focus their resources on the fight sequences and hiring actors such as Dominic Cooper (reprising his role as Tony Stark’s industrialist father Howard Stark) and The West Wing’s Bradley Whitford (playing Carter’s chauvinist boss.)
Agent Carter also gives the Marvel universe a dose of much needed girl-power. If fans who see it in Comic-Con on Friday react favorably, it’s likely to lead to more female heroes on the screen.
“In Item 47, I would say the protagonist is Lizzy Caplan, and obviously in Agent Carter it’s Hayley. They’re good stories, and they do show female characters and maybe we can do a feature film one day,” D’Esposito says. “Ms. Marvel, I’ve already mentioned, is one of my favorites. I would love to do it. It’s difficult because we have a limited the bandwidth and produce two films a year. We have a few successful franchises, so how do we introduce more? This is a way.”
Best case scenario …?
“You know, maybe people see this and they say, ‘I love Hayley Atwell as Peggy Carter,’ and maybe we have to do Ms. Marvel, or give Scarlett Johansson’s Black Widow her own film,” D’Esposito says. “So, of course we think about that. And when we see the success of it and how people react, it really reinforces that.”

ZWERG/ELF

Last edited by R_Hythlodeus; 08-08-2013 at 12:00 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:32 AM   #5
Hyde
Ooga-Chaka

I know it probably wouldn't happen because they're main characters, but after GOTG I really want to see a Rocket Raccoon and Groot buddy-cop one-shot.

I still believe in heroes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
"I tell ya, that Jennifer Lawrenshinch, I'd like to put my olive in her martini."
Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:40 AM   #6
seahammer
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieMaster View Post
I know it probably wouldn't happen because they're main characters, but after GOTG I really want to see a Rocket Raccoon and Groot buddy-cop one-shot.
That would be really cool. It could be like the feature that ran in the back of the "Annihilators" series.

However, I think (just like the Warriors Three short I mentioned above) it would probably be too expensive. I'd get on-board for it 100%, though!

Old 08-11-2013, 07:13 PM   #7
Hypestyle
Side-Kick

Get LL Cool J to play Lieutenant Marcus Stone of Code: Blue, the NYPD S.W.A.T. team for super-crime.

Hypestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:22 AM   #8
seahammer
Side-Kick

So I was thinking again about the interview with D'Esposito that RH posted above, particularly the obstacles he mentioned:

Quote:
“I’ve been asked many times too, would you introduce new characters?” D’Esposito says. “That even proves to be very difficult, just from a cost perspective. What does the costume look like? Who is the actor playing it? A lot of R&D goes into it. We have a great concept department here, a visual development department, and it takes time.”
and
Quote:
“It’s very complicated to do: who plays those characters? And designing the costume, getting it going … We tried,” D’Esposito says. “We were there in development, and we tried, but they were very difficult for all the reasons I gave. And we don’t want to do something that’s half baked because it’s not good for us and it’s not good for our fans.”
And it made me think about another option: villains. Expand the number of villains in the MCU via the one-shots.

It can be a villain that never even features in a film, someone who is nobody's nemesis. Off the top of my head, someone like Grey Gargoyle (for example). A ten minute short about a scientist who invents a serum that puts people in suspended animation for an hour and uses it to rob a bank. Pretty simple and inexpensive, and if people respond to it Marvel can use him in an Agents of SHIELD episode or something.

Another way to take this would be to expand on villains who already exist in the MCU, because MCU fans are not necessarily the same as comic fans. In this vein, i'm thinking specifically of Tim Blake Nelson as Samuel Sterns/The Leader. I'd love to take 10-15 minutes to see what he's been up to since TIH, and I can't be the only one!

Old 08-12-2013, 02:01 PM   #9
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

The Leader is definatly the last loose end from Phase I and it looks unlikely that we get another Hulk movie in the next couple of years. To revisit that character would be appreciated.

ZWERG/ELF

Old 09-17-2013, 04:08 AM   #10
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

A new interview with D'Esposito over at ScreenCrush (that I somehow can't access, so I had to settle with the article the unspeakable site came up with):

Quote:
When ScreenCrush talked with Louis D’Esposito, Marvel Studios' co-president and director of the Iron Man 3 Blu-ray one-shot, Agent Carter, the producer discusses future short films and even reveals ideas for shorts that have been developed, but presumably canned. "Yes, the ‘One Shot’ development process is a little different than the features, obviously," said D’Esposito after being asked if he's already plotted one-shots for the Thor and Captain America sequels. "With the features we set it, and everything is going towards that." But does he have the 2015 short planned? "We’ve developed a lot of shorts because Eric Pearson, the writer on all them, he was part of our writer’s program and now he’s a great friend of the family. We developed a lot of shorts with him over the years, so we have some crazy ideas that happen in Asgard, and some characters done in their youth. We were developing a story about young Nick Fury going with Dum Dum Dugan to Wakanda, and they’re sitting on a plane and Dum Dum is sitting next to Nick Fury eating an orange, and the orange squirts him in the eye, and maybe that’s the reason he has an eye patch. Maybe that’s the start. It really burns, so maybe he put some tape on it." Louis D’Esposito continued, " The story he doesn’t want to tell is that it happened because of Dum Dum’s orange (laughs). Obviously we shelved that." Regarding when he'll start shooting the short for Thor: The Dark World's eventual home release, the producer says, "Soon, we usually start the process six months before [the Blu-ray release]." D’Esposito also says that despite seeing these short films as audition pieces for the feature films, "I try not to think about that, but I’ve had so much fun doing these, Kevin [Feige] and I have certainly discussed the potential for doing that."

ZWERG/ELF

Old 09-17-2013, 04:28 AM   #11
seahammer
Side-Kick

Glad they didn't go with the citrus-in-the-eye gag (it seems that the one-shots were more comedic at one point), but all of the other ideas sound good: Asgardian adventure, young versions of some characters, and a trip to Wakanda. I wonder which, if any, of these are still possibilities for the future.

Read my Thor 3 plot pitch
Old 09-17-2013, 07:04 PM   #12
lozzy.94
Im no Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Hythlodeus View Post
The Leader is definatly the last loose end from Phase I and it looks unlikely that we get another Hulk movie in the next couple of years. To revisit that character would be appreciated.
Actually in the comic book tie-in "Furys Big Week" it showed that The Leader is now in SHIELD custody in suspended animation.

2016 - Captain America: The Secret Avengers, Doctor Strange
2017 - Thor: Ragnarok, Guardians Of The Galaxy: War of Kings
2018 - The Avengers: Infinity
lozzy.94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:03 AM   #13
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Agent Carter was the best one-shot yet, very well done and the story fit in with the MCU perfectly. It looks like they have some interesting ideas for the future, and as someone else said, I wouldnt mind The Leader getting one.

Abom getting more mentions wouldnt go amiss either, but it seems TIH is the least favourite son of all the movies so far.

1)X-Men: Days Of Future Past-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9(4)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)300:ROAE-7(15)A Million Ways To Die In The West-7(16)47 Ronin-6(17)Monuments Men-5(18)Ride Along-5(19)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:34 AM   #14
Hyde
Ooga-Chaka

Michael Emerson for the Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by lozzy.94 View Post
Actually in the comic book tie-in "Furys Big Week" it showed that The Leader is now in SHIELD custody in suspended animation.
Are those canon?

Quote:
"I tell ya, that Jennifer Lawrenshinch, I'd like to put my olive in her martini."
Old 09-18-2013, 10:11 AM   #15
metaphysician
Side-Kick

My guess is "no", at least in any sense of "will they bind the movies."

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:15 AM   #16
Lord
All Mighty

I would like to see them show a one-shot before the films, a la Pixar

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:25 AM   #17
Hyde
Ooga-Chaka

Yeah, agreed - don't want the filmmakers to have to be bound by something a three-year old tie-in comic said. Plus I don't want to see Leader in SHIELD custody just yet

Quote:
Old 09-18-2013, 10:34 AM   #18
Lord
All Mighty

The Leader being in SHIELD custody or not still seems like a loose thread, i mean, guy transforms into a giant brain and gets captured, what happens from there? What kind of threat will he present?

While i wouldn't mind seeing a one-shot about that i think he would better fit in the SHIELD tv show. Or a 2nd hulk movie, whenever it is made.

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Old 09-18-2013, 01:39 PM   #19
venom892
Got Lucky

I think a young Nick Fury teaming up with Duggan One shot is a great idea and very plausible. I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen soon.

Vote for your favorites in The Battle of the Comic Book Films Tournament! here!
venom892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:44 PM   #20
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

Hawkeye and Black Widow - What happened in Budapest?

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
I'm not a fanboy, I'm just an entusiastic Spider-Man fan...
Avvy by OriginalMiles
Green Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:00 PM   #21
fixxxer
Side-Kick

Fury &
DumDum &
Morita &
Falsworth &
Dernier &
Peggy.

fixxxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:56 AM   #22
Dr. Evil
RIP Robin Williams

Will they announce the next one shot the week of Thor: TDW's release?

My MCU Rankings: 1. The Avengers- 9/10, 2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 9/10, 3. Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10 , 4. Iron Man- 8.5/10, 5. Captain America: The First Avenger- 8/10, 6. Thor- 8/10, 7. Iron Man 2- 7.5/10, 8. Thor: The Dark World- 7/10, 9. Iron Man 3- 7/10, 10. The Incredible Hulk- 6/10
Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:56 PM   #23
Dr. Evil
RIP Robin Williams

Could Ben Kingsley be involved with the next Marvel One Shot?

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/10/...movie-project/

My MCU Rankings: 1. The Avengers- 9/10, 2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 9/10, 3. Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10 , 4. Iron Man- 8.5/10, 5. Captain America: The First Avenger- 8/10, 6. Thor- 8/10, 7. Iron Man 2- 7.5/10, 8. Thor: The Dark World- 7/10, 9. Iron Man 3- 7/10, 10. The Incredible Hulk- 6/10
Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:26 PM   #24
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil View Post
Could Ben Kingsley be involved with the next Marvel One Shot?

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/10/...movie-project/
I guess so

ZWERG/ELF

Old 10-22-2013, 03:57 PM   #25
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Goblin View Post
Hawkeye and Black Widow - What happened in Budapest?
Wasn't that just some generic "past spy mission in an exotic location", it's kind of an old cliché in spy stories, i'm sincerelly not very interested in that story.