The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > The Wolverine

Old 08-13-2013, 10:44 AM   #1
Tody
Newbie First Class

Default Half Happy With The Wolverine - Am I The Only One?

Hey guys

I've been mulling The Wolverine over lately, and as a pretty big Hugh Jackman and Wolverine fan, I can't escape the fact that I was only half happy with the movie, mostly enjoying the first half of it.

I was a bit underwhelmed overall to be honest. It was above average, but lacking what it took to make it memorable or great.

Hugh Jackman definitely made it worth it though, his performance was excellent. He brought a kind of aggressiveness and flare to the role which really impressed, seeing as how he can invigorate this character despite having played him for 10 years. The final half though just didn't do it for me, mostly with the plot and writing and decreasing quality of the action.

I've collected my thoughts in this short video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz6D0JM5ebg

And thought I'd share it with the fans who most likely know Wolverine much more than I do, since I'm a Batman and Spider-Man guy most of all.

I'm very eager to hear your thoughts on the movie, especially from those who loved it and can talk about why.

Thanks for your time

Tody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:01 AM   #2
Tehmeh
Everybody likes bewbs

Default Re: Half Happy With The Wolverine - Am I The Only One?

I felt underwhelmed but very satisfied.

I'm pretty sure the underwhelming feel, for me, was because I immediately felt the need to see it again. There was a lot in this movie, and I felt I didn't get to appreciate everything with the first viewing. There are many aspects that I felt were done really, really well and just for that, one viewing isn't enough for me. For a superhero movie, this was different, more deep and more mature.
Also because I know there's an R-rated extended cut coming, I felt I didn't see it all.

The end did feel out of tone, but I didn't have problems with it. I thought I would, having read reviews. The movie changes its character a little in the end, but doesn't change the character of Logan or the overall theme and it doesn't destroy anything previously established in the movie.

Viper was a little out of place, but at least Yukio got to off her in a very satisfying way.

This underwhelming feel is very different than I had when I first saw X3. After X3, I was trying to make up excuses for the movie because I wanted to like it but was disappointed. After Wolverine it's different - I know that I don't want to make any excuses, I loved the overall tone, character portrayal (viper excluded). I just want to see it again, and also the extended version. With some movies, as well as music albums, you know when something gets better the more you watch/listen to it, and when something is disappointing and you just aren't ready to accept it.

For me, Wolverine had the style, the quality that made me instantly nod with acceptance. I need to see it again. I already like it, but I know I will like it more. It'll probably grow on me. Mangold is now, after this, one of my favorite directors.

In your case, you might be disappointed for real, but I encourage you to see it again just in case. Myself, preordering the extended cut as soon it's announced.

Tehmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:38 PM   #3
BlackFox
Almost ninja

OP

Its a shame you felt underwhelmed by the Wolverine, I know your not the only one, but at least you presented your dissapointment in a sensible and constructive manner, unlike some responses you can find on the internet, so props to you for that.

I'm sure there is nothing I can say to change your mind, the way you feel is the way you feel, and I'm certain you could not alter mine either but as someone who was the opposite to you and very happy with what we got I thought I would respond with my brief thoughts on what made it good for me at least:

- We finally got a Logan who acted like I would imagine from the comic books, mean and angry most of the time, and actually intimidating to people, physically imposing more so than ever before, Hugh really put the effort into him this time and that shone through in his performance both in terms of acting and screen presence.

- This didnt feel like other comic book movies for the most part. It actually spent time developing characters and relationships in the film, it wasnt all just rushing to the next action scene with one liners all the way, it had comedy moments, but it had a heart and soul I found missing in other Marvel films especially. It even dared to be, quiet, in places, some would interpret that as "boring" in a CBM but to me it let the whole movie "breath" and find its own rhythm.

- It dealt with the mental state of the hero in depth, only Batman Begins is another CBM I can think of that even attempted this to any degree of depth.

- It had two outstanding action set pieces for me that are two of the best ever in the CBM genre. The bullet train and Shingen fight will last long in the memory for me and one of which relied on very little CGI effects to achieve.

- It unearthed two great new additions to the xmen world in Yukio and Mariko, two strong female characters at that and avoided, mostly, the usual cliches and tropes about women in CBM's.

Those are just some of my high points, as I said nothing that will change your view, as obviously some of these things you did not interpret in the same way but as you asked for some thoughts from those that loved it I thought I would share them.

(X-Men-Apocalypse:Brace yourselves, WAR is coming)

Last edited by BlackFox; 08-13-2013 at 04:42 PM.
BlackFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:57 PM   #4
YavinIV
Newbie First Class

I agree with Blackfox in most points, however, I thought the bullet train, as well as the heart surgery scene were a little over the top but I guess big films like TW always have that so I'm fine with it. It was entertaining after all. Just... lightened the dark tone of the film way too much up.

I understand the underwhelmed feeling entirely...for me it's that I think that I got to see an amazing protagonist...this really was a great performance, so much better than in any other X-Men film so far but somehow I feel that things should have been done differently. I am fine with as they are now but I just know that there could have been so much more to it. And yeah...the end was kind of mneh but in a strange way rather satisfying.

YavinIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:11 PM   #5
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

I'm obviously irrationally happy with this film...

Old 08-13-2013, 10:01 PM   #6
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

From the start, I just wanted a good Wolverine movie that is better than Origins. I got what I wanted and Viper <3.

"I wanna be able to touch people, Logan. A hug, a handshake, a kiss." - X3
*smiles* *walks away* - X4
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:18 PM   #7
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

I personally think the underwhelming feeling comes from the final fight/act, its one of the last we see it being and I remember being underwhelmed a little after seeing because the final act was freshest in my memory and they are the poorest scene's in the movie.

It was only afterwards when I started remembering the earlier parts of the movie that I began to feel better about it and realised it was a good movie, just with some problems in the final act.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16)Million Ways To Die In The West-7(17)47 Ronin-6(18)Monuments Men-5(19)Ride Along-5(20)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:59 PM   #8
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
I personally think the underwhelming feeling comes from the final fight/act, its one of the last we see it being and I remember being underwhelmed a little after seeing because the final act was freshest in my memory and they are the poorest scene's in the movie.

It was only afterwards when I started remembering the earlier parts of the movie that I began to feel better about it and realised it was a good movie, just with some problems in the final act.
I had that feeling too after I saw the movie for the first time.

With my 2nd viewing, I ended up loving the movie more!

Old 08-14-2013, 02:58 AM   #9
BlackFox
Almost ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
I'm obviously irrationally happy with this film...
Yeah I wonder why that is

(X-Men-Apocalypse:Brace yourselves, WAR is coming)
BlackFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:32 AM   #10
def28
Side-Kick

Final act has it's issue, but was never a deal breaker imo. For me this film succeeded 100% because it gave us something we havn't seen in any of the other X films. Wolverine acting full on like he should. Jackman and Mangold got the character down solid.

def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:20 AM   #11
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
I had that feeling too after I saw the movie for the first time.

With my 2nd viewing, I ended up loving the movie more!
Its definitely the final act which underwhelms on the 1st watch, and it is the last thing you see so its not surprising people feel this way. Movie endings and last acts are very important.

I remember loving Death Proof when I first saw it because all I could remember was the car chase, I remember being very dissapointed in TDKR until the last 10 mins when everything wrapped superbly, I have since grown to like the whole movie. But yeah, on 1st viewings especially they are important.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16)Million Ways To Die In The West-7(17)47 Ronin-6(18)Monuments Men-5(19)Ride Along-5(20)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:53 PM   #12
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

I really think if the last act was better than the first 90 minutes of the film or as good as the first 90 minutes of the film. A lot of critics would see this as the best superhero film of the year!

Old 08-15-2013, 02:07 AM   #13
Tody
Newbie First Class

Hey everyone

Thanks a lot for your feedback and comments, it's been really interesting to read all of it.

@BlackFox
Thanks! The part I found unfortunate is that I really loved the first half of the movie. It was compelling, something different, showed us Wolverine in a new light, and was essentially what I wanted from the movie. Where it all fell for me was the final act and second half.

I actually agree with most of your high points, and it is certainly deeper and more engaging than your average Marvel movie. Hugh Jackman was excellent, and that bullet train scene was spectacular.

You guys are making me want to watch it again, but I remember feeling underwhelmed because I was loving everything until somewhere around the second half where it stated becoming just far too conventional and lacking punch for me. In the first half, it felt like this movie could really have something powerful to say about Wolverine, and I felt that was lost.

@psylockolussus
That's exactly my thought train :P

Overall, I did leave the theater more positive than not, but I couldn't shake the feeling that the movie could have been a lot more.

I did, however, really like the extra credits scene, and I'll be picking up Days of Future Past to get into that story.

Tody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 03:14 AM   #14
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
I really think if the last act was better than the first 90 minutes of the film or as good as the first 90 minutes of the film. A lot of critics would see this as the best superhero film of the year!
Alot of critics did say that though.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:44 PM   #15
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Still its the not clear as the best of 2013 compare to First Class in 2011. FC was hands down the best superhero film of 2011 especially when you consider RT ratings.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:12 PM   #16
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackFox View Post
Yeah I wonder why that is
I have no idea what you're insinuating...

Oh wait, how'd THAT get there?

Old 08-15-2013, 09:23 PM   #17
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Still its the not clear as the best of 2013 compare to First Class in 2011. FC was hands down the best superhero film of 2011 especially when you consider RT ratings.
Who cares? Alot of Critics called it the best Superhero film of the summer and your acting like that wasn't the case. Going up against Supes and IM, that says alot.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:26 PM   #18
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
Who cares? Alot of Critics called it the best Superhero film of the summer and your acting like that wasn't the case. Going up against Supes and IM, that says alot.
Its still different if The Wolverine got a higher Rt rating than Iron Man 3. And I don't read reviews from the critics, I just check the consensus.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:50 AM   #19
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
And I don't read reviews from the critics, I just check the consensus.
Then how would you know which ones think its the best Superhero flick of the year? The RT fresh scores could just mean a film is meh.

What your looking for seems to be a higher percentage, not their opinions on if its the best Superhero film of the year.

Last edited by def28; 08-16-2013 at 01:30 AM.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:10 AM   #20
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

RT ratings make no difference in choosing what the "best" superhero film of the year was. If we went by that logic, then everyone would be choosing Iron Man 3 as the best of the year since it had the highest RT score, but that's obviously not the case. Plenty of people are choosing Man of Steel despite a rotten score on RT. And plenty of others have been choosing The Wolverine despite not going above 70% on RT.

Opinion is subjective, and you don't need to back it up with an RT score to make your opinion more valid to anyone other than yourself.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:32 PM   #21
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
Then how would you know which ones think its the best Superhero flick of the year? The RT fresh scores could just mean a film is meh.

What your looking for seems to be a higher percentage, not their opinions on if its the best Superhero film of the year.
Well I read saw 2 reviews and its from Coming Soon.Net/SuperHeroHype and some tweets from James Mangold but having the highest RT is another sign/indication that it is indeed the best CBM of the year. With the RT rating, it fails.

Though when it comes to ranking films, my order is not always the same with the ratings in RT. I definitely think X2/First Class are better than Avengers/Dark Knight (films that got a RT rating higher than 88%). But still for bragging rights/to reassure myself, if The Wolverine got a higher rating than Iron Man 3, that would have been a lot better.

Last edited by psylockolussus; 08-16-2013 at 11:36 PM.
Old 08-17-2013, 03:12 AM   #22
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
RT ratings make no difference in choosing what the "best" superhero film of the year was. If we went by that logic, then everyone would be choosing Iron Man 3 as the best of the year since it had the highest RT score, but that's obviously not the case. Plenty of people are choosing Man of Steel despite a rotten score on RT. And plenty of others have been choosing The Wolverine despite not going above 70% on RT.

Opinion is subjective, and you don't need to back it up with an RT score to make your opinion more valid to anyone other than yourself.

Old 08-17-2013, 09:51 PM   #23
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

I definitely don't need a fresh Rt score to like a film. But I'm just saying, its better if TW got a higher than IR3 in RT because there's people out there that would say Iron Man 3 is the best superhero film of 2013 just for the fact that it got a higher rating than The Wolverine.

Old 08-17-2013, 10:12 PM   #24
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
I definitely don't need a fresh Rt score to like a film. But I'm just saying, its better if TW got a higher than IR3 in RT because there's people out there that would say Iron Man 3 is the best superhero film of 2013 just for the fact that it got a higher rating than The Wolverine.
That doesn't mean anything.

I think The Wolverine was the best superhero movie of the summer, regardless of the RT score. That's just what I think.

Other people may think Iron Man 3 is the best superhero movie of the summer, regardless of the RT score. Because that's just what they think.

And other people may think Man of Steel was the best superhero movie of the summer, regardless of the RT score. Because that's just what they think.

Everyone has their own opinion on what was the best, and they don't need an RT score to validate their opinion. Everyone likes what they like for their own reasons, which are the most important reasons.

Old 08-17-2013, 10:40 PM   #25
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
That doesn't mean anything.

I think The Wolverine was the best superhero movie of the summer, regardless of the RT score. That's just what I think.

Other people may think Iron Man 3 is the best superhero movie of the summer, regardless of the RT score. Because that's just what they think.

And other people may think Man of Steel was the best superhero movie of the summer, regardless of the RT score. Because that's just what they think.

Everyone has their own opinion on what was the best, and they don't need an RT score to validate their opinion. Everyone likes what they like for their own reasons, which are the most important reasons.
Well according to the consensus of the critics, Iron Man 3 is better than The Wolverine just because it got a higher rating. And they have these sections where there's ranking for superhero films/2013 films and Iron Man 3 has a higher placement than in The Wolverine.

Good for you, that you are not letting RT to dictate w/c movie is better or not. I don't too. But for me, I would feel like a lot of better if The Wolverine got a higher rating in RT.