The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men Sequels & Spin-Offs

Old 08-14-2013, 02:33 PM   #76
def28
Side-Kick

Default Re: First Class 3 or X-Men 5?

I think FC has gotta continue but we shall see after DOFP.

Last edited by def28; 08-14-2013 at 02:42 PM.
def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:40 PM   #77
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestStar2004 View Post
Lucky the magic of film making can make them look older
That would just bloat the budget.

The OT cast (the more appealing cast) is aging and it won't be a good idea to give them a long break again.

The FC cast could wait. And I doubt the GA would want to see a FC3 first before another film with the OT cast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
^Exactly, they dont need to age as make-up can do that for an actor, plus you dont want them getting too old for the role as then the young/old versions will be too interchangeable.

Personally I think FC3 should come next as the GA seem a bit tired of the same old characters IMO. Or you could do both and release them a year apart.
Uh no.

As if DOFP is buzzing because of the return of the cast of First Class. Its the opposite.

Part of the appeal of DOFP is the reunion factor.

And as if the characters that the FC cast are portraying are the characters we haven't seen in the original trilogy and the previous films. So that doesn't make sense.

"Kill me before I kill someone else" - X3
"Where else would I be?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:30 PM   #78
NanaT
X-Men United!

Okay what is going on with all the OT Cast hate. I'm reading through some posts and people are saying they don't think some of the actors in the OT can carry an X-Men film. Why is there doubt about this? The OT have carried three X-Men films with each film they've appeared in performing better than the last at the Box Office and I expect that trend to continue with Days of Future Past and onwards.

Besides I don't think it's fair to say that the OT cast can't carry an X-Men film when they First Class cast weren't exactly huge stars back in 2011. Even if the OT couldn't carry an X-Men movie with their star power alone, which they can, then they have the added advantage of playing the iconic X-Men, the 'big guns' of the X-Men comic world.

Halle Berry is still an A list star and is a box office draw as demonstrated by her latest movie. She is probably the biggest female star of the Original Trilogy.

Anna Paquin is the face of True Blood, a Pop culture HBO series that has a large following.

Ellen Page is still well known as well and is still recognised for her most iconic role as Juno which earned her an Oscar nomination.

Plus there's Hugh Jackman. They together will be more than enough to draw audiences to come watch another X-Men film. And I don't know where people are getting this notion that an OT X-Men film without Patrick and Ian will somehow under-perform. Those two are not draws. Their appearance in an X-Men film are like bonuses, highlights but they are not needed to continue this franchise. They can make brief appearances/cameos in any future movies if need be. But the idea that the series will come to some of halt without them is unfounded. I don't think the GA go to see an X-Men film to just see Professor X and Magneto talk. Do you?

- PROFESSOR CHARLES XAVIER
NanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 02:52 PM   #79
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

I kinda do, yea, lol.

But seriously though, for the most part, you're right. The main trilogy cast is the backbone of this film franchise for a number of reasons.

Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen, Hugh Jackman, Halle Berry, Famke Jansen, Anna Paquin, Ellen Page > James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Jennifer Lawrence, Nicholas Hoult in a lot of ways. That's not a knock on the new guys. The new guys all did amazing in their roles.

But the biggest reason why the main trilogy cast is better:

Iconic Xavier, older Magneto, Wolverine, Storm, Jean Grey, Cyclops, Rogue, Kitty Pryde, bad Mystique > young Xavier and Magneto that don't look like their comic book counterparts, Havok, Banshee, Angel Salvatore, Darwin, lovey dovey BFF Mystique

One of these screams X-Men. The other one, not so much.

Nell2ThaIzzay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 03:53 PM   #80
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

It's all because some want them to pull a J.J. Abrams Star Trek and erase the trilogy,both
wolverine films,and future part of DOFP.

marvelrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:15 PM   #81
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanaT View Post
Okay what is going on with all the OT Cast hate.
Same reason there is FC hate. People have preferences on what they would like to see and want to defend them.

Old 08-16-2013, 04:28 PM   #82
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

But, on the other hand, can you see them ditching Lawrence, Fassbender, McAvoy and Hoult?

Maybe they will - somehow - combine the casts.

Old 08-16-2013, 04:31 PM   #83
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
But, on the other hand, can you see them ditching Lawrence, Fassbender, McAvoy and Hoult?

Maybe they will - somehow - combine the casts.
That's what I think would be a perfect scenario. Be awesome if DOFP allows that.

Old 08-16-2013, 04:33 PM   #84
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Honestly, as much as my preference is for the main trilogy cast, I find this movie to be a perfect opportunity to send off the original cast, and have them pass the torch to the new cast.

This movie is putting more emphasis on the First Class crew than the main trilogy crew, I feel like it's pretty clear that's the direction they wanna go.

They can introduce Cyclops as a new member of the First Class crew, and continue on with young versions of Cyclops, Jean Grey, and Storm, and include guys like Beast and Gambit to round out the roster.

Nell2ThaIzzay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:06 PM   #85
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Quote:
No way can I see them ditching fassbender,Jennifer and Co

Old 08-16-2013, 05:08 PM   #86
def28
Side-Kick

Those guys are just getting warmed up!

Old 08-17-2013, 12:15 AM   #87
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Yes I can.

I feel like people give them too much credit but seriously, their star power didn't help First Class to sell. Actually the most well-known actors that appeared in First Class at that time were Hugh Jackman, Kevin Bacon and January Jones for her work in Mad Men. Maybe a First Class 3 film would sell more than First Class 1 but its not going to sell compare to a film featuring the OT cast.

And if could give the OT cast (except for Hugh Jackman) a break longer than 5 years, FOX could give the FC cast a long break too especially their characters that they are portraying are not that iconic compare to the OT cast are portraying.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:40 AM   #88
Mr.M
Side-Kick

If there is supposed to be some direct tie-in with FC3 and AoA (X5), then I think you would need to same director and the films would have to be shot back to back, under one creative vision. Summer 2017 and summer 2018. Otherwise, it doesn't make sense. You can't do a FC3 and then wait another 3 years for AoA and have the OT cast age another 6 years. That's just too much time, especially if they are barely featured in DoFP. Even if AoA predominantly features actors from the OT, I'd still try to incorporate flashbacks to past events, just to expand on FC3 and directly incorporate those elements into X5. I think that would be the only viable way to continue the franchise with both casts. The only way I see that happening is if DoFP is a near billion dollar grosser and Fox decides they have to lock up Singer for two more films, and of course he'd have the pull to bring back whomever he desires with all the good working relationships he has with this studio and actors.

While I think it is possible we get that scenario, I am going to wager DoFP ultimately doesn't end up doing that kind of business, and we get spinoff movies like X-Force. I still think FC3 is very likely, but they may give it a few years before coming back to that one, assuming everyone is still under contract. I think the OT is done, I really do.

Last edited by Mr.M; 08-19-2013 at 12:02 PM.
Mr.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:52 AM   #89
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

I do think a big indicator that they want to continue more with the FC cast is that DOFP mostly features them. We know most of the movie takes place in 1973 so the FC cast will be the main characters with the OT characters mainly being cameo's.

This may well just be last hurrah to the OT cast before Fox moves on with more FC movies but we will have to see I suppose. The performance of the movie will be a big factor also.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Interstellar-9.5(3)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(4)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(5)Gone Girl-9(6)Captain America: TWS-9(7)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(8)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(9)WOWS-8.5(10)Godzilla-8(11)Neighbours-8(12)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(13)Lego Movie-7.5(14)Transformers: AOE-7.5(15)Robocop-7.5(16)Sin City: ADTDF-7(17)300:ROAE-7(18)The Equalizer-7(19)MWTDITW-7(20)47 Ronin-6(21)Monuments Men-5(22)Ride Along-5(23)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:34 PM   #90
NanaT
X-Men United!

Quote:
I do think a big indicator that they want to continue more with the FC cast is that DOFP mostly features them. We know most of the movie takes place in 1973 so the FC cast will be the main characters with the OT characters mainly being cameo's.

This may well just be last hurrah to the OT cast before Fox moves on with more FC movies but we will have to see I suppose. The performance of the movie will be a big factor also.
You see the thing I don't get with that thinking is why Fox would bother to pay eight different actor salaries in order for them to have just small roles in a film mainly about the FC, if it isn't to stage a comeback for the OT. I'm more inclined to believe that DOFP lays the foundation for the OT to return in a fixed timeline without all the glaring continuity errors and also paves the way for certain characters to come back.

I mean really and truly there is no other reason. If the studio believes in the first class cast enough to continue the franchise with only them then they really don't need the presence of the OT at all. However, If DOFP is the stepping stone for other OT movies then this would be the perfect opportunity for audiences to re familiarise themselves or in some cases be introduced to the OT characters before they feature in a movie of their own.

That's how I see it anyway.

- PROFESSOR CHARLES XAVIER
NanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:48 PM   #91
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

I think the roles of the OT cast will be like this

Hugh, Ian, Patrick - lead roles
Halle, Anna, Shawn, Ellen - supporting roles
Daniel - small role

None of them are cameos.

And I agree with NanaT, if FOX is so confident moving forward with the FC cast, why bring them back to give the OT cast a last hurray? Its not really needed if they are just gonna move forward with the FC cast after this movie. They could have just continued where First Class left off and bring back the entire cast (except for the ones who left/died).

Last edited by psylockolussus; 08-19-2013 at 10:51 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:30 PM   #92
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

First Class under-performed in 2011, it still made a profit, but it under-performed, I have thought from the start they chose this storyline to bring back the OT cast for one final hurrah while also boosting the BO receipts for a FC sequel.

Then FC3 can make a profit on its own without the help of the OT. That was my initial impression when the OT cast came back and it is still my impression now.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Interstellar-9.5(3)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(4)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(5)Gone Girl-9(6)Captain America: TWS-9(7)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(8)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(9)WOWS-8.5(10)Godzilla-8(11)Neighbours-8(12)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(13)Lego Movie-7.5(14)Transformers: AOE-7.5(15)Robocop-7.5(16)Sin City: ADTDF-7(17)300:ROAE-7(18)The Equalizer-7(19)MWTDITW-7(20)47 Ronin-6(21)Monuments Men-5(22)Ride Along-5(23)I, Frankenstein-3
Old 08-19-2013, 11:46 PM   #93
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
First Class under-performed in 2011, it still made a profit, but it under-performed, I have thought from the start they chose this storyline to bring back the OT cast for one final hurrah while also boosting the BO receipts for a FC sequel.

Then FC3 can make a profit on its own without the help of the OT. That was my initial impression when the OT cast came back and it is still my impression now.
So they are using the OT cast so a film featuring the FC cast would sell more. Then they will dump the OT cast after DOFP?

Thats not a good strategy. If the OT cast is the one that will really get the mainstream viewers to watch a X-Men movie then they should be making more films with them.

EDIT: And if FOX is just gonna use the OT cast to boost the FC cast, why didn't they bring back the majority of the FC cast? Especially Emma Frost?! The line-up that they have for the future/modern-day world is bigger than their line-up for the 70s.

Last edited by psylockolussus; 08-20-2013 at 02:05 AM.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:06 AM   #94
Sullstar
Side-Kick

I also don't see why they cast the majority of the new mutants around the same age as Paquin, Ashmore, Cudmore, Page and the other teenagers from the OT.

I don't see why they would cast Blink, Bishop, Sunspot etc. in their early 30's when almost all the students in FC are now 23 if they're going to dump the OT after DOFP. Even if fans don't warm to the new mutants and they aren't to feature in future films, it seems pretty strange.

Sullstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:45 AM   #95
Mr.M
Side-Kick

They are setting up possible X-Force links. It's that simple. Plus most of the new mutants are plot devices for time travel and not major characters in the story it would appear.

I think this is Stewart and McKellan's last go around. The other OT actors have supporting roles and were on the set for a few weeks tops. Who doesn't need the exposure in Hollywood these days? Not like this project was beneath the likes of Anna and Halle. They need exposure and this is arguably the biggest film of the summer next year.

I'm 80% sure it's done after this. FC3 will be the stepping stone for the future.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:59 AM   #96
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

a huge part of this film will depend on the performances of Mcavoy and fassbender thats for sure

the OT were brought back to turn this into a cross over story, singer is taking a page out of marvels books by technically making this a sequel to 2 or 3 previous films, and given the budget fox are putting into this film they do want to make something as big as the avengers

Old 08-20-2013, 10:32 AM   #97
Angamb
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanaT View Post
You see the thing I don't get with that thinking is why Fox would bother to pay eight different actor salaries in order for them to have just small roles in a film mainly about the FC, if it isn't to stage a comeback for the OT. I'm more inclined to believe that DOFP lays the foundation for the OT to return in a fixed timeline without all the glaring continuity errors and also paves the way for certain characters to come back.
Two X-Men producers, Hutch Parker and Lauren S.Donner, have mentioned continuing with OT cast too.

So its kind of ironic that the ones not seeing it are the fans, lol.

Fox and producers now know perfectly the potential the fanchise has right now, with both casts. So no way they will get rid of any of the two casts. Not when Singer is back and all the OT actors are open to do more movies.

They have a goldmine, so they will exploit it more than ever.

Last edited by Angamb; 08-20-2013 at 11:01 AM.
Angamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:51 AM   #98
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
So they are using the OT cast so a film featuring the FC cast would sell more. Then they will dump the OT cast after DOFP?

Thats not a good strategy. If the OT cast is the one that will really get the mainstream viewers to watch a X-Men movie then they should be making more films with them.

EDIT: And if FOX is just gonna use the OT cast to boost the FC cast, why didn't they bring back the majority of the FC cast? Especially Emma Frost?! The line-up that they have for the future/modern-day world is bigger than their line-up for the 70s.
Emma Frost wasnt coming back once January Jones had her little affair with Matthew Vaughn, that was clear from the start, also the likes of Azazel and Angel arent exactly fan favourites, they could be dumped with no consequences. I think any FC sequel wouldnt have had these characters personally.

If FC had made $200 million domestic and not $145 though, I think a direct sequel to that would have been made and we wouldnt be getting DOFP personally. I think they felt that the FC movies needed a little star- power boost and they knew they had this great story which would bring back fan favourites to boost the BO and anticipation.

I think what has happened SINCE the initial announcement and the excitement the OT cast have brought they are now thinking more about bringing them back again, but I think the FC cast are still the priority personally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
Two X-Men producers, Hutch Parker and Lauren S.Donner hav,e mentioned continuing with OT cast too.

Fox and producers now know perfectly the potential the fanchise has right now, with both casts. So no way they will get rid of any of the two casts. Not when Singer is back and all the OT actors are open to do more movies.

As I said above, I personally think that is because they have seen the fan reaction to the OC coming back and want to drum it up even more by saying the OC could possibly come back again.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:37 AM   #99
def28
Side-Kick

I don't think they know who's returning so they are keeping mum on everything. They are leaving all options open.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:48 AM   #100
Mr.M
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
Two X-Men producers, Hutch Parker and Lauren S.Donner, have mentioned continuing with OT cast too.

No... they have a goldmine if this does 8-900 million at the box office. Until a film in this franchise does those kinds of numbers, this is a fallacy. It very well could, in which case I'd expect both FC3 and X5.

TLS did not break even at the box office. You have to triple your budget WW to do that. TLS cost well north of 200 million and only netter 450ish, with only half of that coming domestically. That is not the numbers Fox was looking for and it basically snared the franchise for a while. That's why they had to start scaling things down with spinoffs.