The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 08-03-2013, 02:39 PM   #26
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

Default Re: the TIMELINE thread

^ Finding out for certain what year the present events of DoFP take place in will retroactively cement the year in which the events of The Last Stand took place because you can take whatever year the present events of DoFP take place in and subtract 10 years to get the year that the events of The Last Stand took place in.

Regarding The Wolverine, we know that the 'Epilogue' (mid-credits scene) takes place 2 years after the end of the film, and, although I haven't yet seen it, the trailers for it showed someone - Yukio, I believe - talking about how she'd been looking for Logan for a year, which means that it's been AT LEAST a year since the events of The Last Stand, meaning that, mid-credits scene included, The Wolverine takes place between AT LEAST 1 to 3 years after the events of The Last Stand.

I did make several assumptions in the timeline breakdowns I posted above, but they're logical assumptions based on what we know.

Quote:
"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:15 PM   #27
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

X-Men (2000), X2 (2003), and X-Men: The Last Stand (2006) are all set in the "not too distant future"

Which means that the film trilogy has to take place sometime between 2007-now.

Where X-Men Origins: Wolverine takes place specifically doesn't make any different to that. But I would imagine, if we're putting specific dates to it, it would break down something like this:

X-Men: First Class - 1963
X-Men Origins: Wolverine (Team X / Africa mission) - 1973 or 1975 (there are 2 prevailing theories on this)
X-Men Origins: Wolverine (bulk) - 1979 or 1981
X-Men / X2 / X-Men: The Last Stand - Anywhere between 2007-2013, but I'm guessing more realistically 2007
The Wolverine - 2013
The Wolverine (mid credits scene) - 2015
X-Men: Days Of Future Past - 2016 (10 years, give or take, after X-Men: The Last Stand - I doubt the movie is going to specifically state "10 years after X-Men 3")

Another theory is that X-Men, X2, and X-Men: The Last Stand all take place closer to present day (2013), closer to the setting of The Wolverine. The mid credit scene takes place in 2015, and Days Of Future Past takes place somewhere in 2023-2025, which would be 10 years after X-Men: The Last Stand, but it assumes that there are only 2 time periods: future (OT characters + Bishop, Wolfsbane, and other new characters) and past (young Xavier, young Magneto, Beast, Mystique, Havok) instead of the speculated 3 time periods. However, it does fit in with the much talked about 2023 time period.

The main trilogy does not take place anywhere earlier than 2006 or 2007 though.

But at the end of the day, I don't think we're really supposed to have specific years.

Nell2ThaIzzay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:52 PM   #28
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

There are 3 time periods in DoFP: the Past (1973), the Present (3013 I believe), and the Future (2023). Because there are 10-year intervals between TLS and the Present of DoFP and the Present of DoFP and the Future of DoFP, TLS has to take place in 2003.

Quote:
"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
Old 08-03-2013, 08:33 PM   #29
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

we don't know the 2023 timeframe takes place 10 years after the "Present"/near future of DOFP.we know the "present"/Near future Is 10 years after events of Last Stand and 1873 Is 10 years after event of X-Men first class.

marvelrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:08 PM   #30
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
There are 3 time periods in DoFP: the Past (1973), the Present (3013 I believe), and the Future (2023). Because there are 10-year intervals between TLS and the Present of DoFP and the Present of DoFP and the Future of DoFP, TLS has to take place in 2003.
It still doesn't have to take place in 2003.

If The Wolverine takes place in 2013, the credits scene then takes place in 2015, which means that the present would take place roughly 2016 or 2017 or so.

Which means that X-Men: The Last Stand could then take place in 2006 or 2007.

Like marvelrobbins said, I don't think there's anything saying that the 2023 element of the film takes place 10 years after the "present".

And do we actually have confirmation that there are 3 time periods, or is this still just fan speculation because of ComicCon footage that nobody else has seen yet, and isn't in context?

Old 08-03-2013, 09:08 PM   #31
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
Woah! Continuity error!

EnDz0n3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:11 PM   #32
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
we don't know the 2023 timeframe takes place 10 years after the "Present"/near future of DOFP.we know the "present"/Near future Is 10 years after events of Last Stand and 1873 Is 10 years after event of X-Men first class.
I could've sworn we had full confirmation that there were 10-year intervals between TLS and the 'present' of DoFP and between the 'present' and 'future' of DoFP.

Quote:
Old 08-12-2013, 05:32 PM   #33
Iron Legion_042
Side-Kick

DOFP is 10 years after TLS. The "Past" part is 1973 and the "Future" part is 2023. The film goes back and forth between the two timelines (hopefully giving both times a decent amount of screen time).

1962- X: FC
1967- Trask Industries is founded
1973- X: DOFP (past part) and start of Sentinel Program
1975- Logan joins/leaves Team X
1981- Weapon X Program and events at Three Mile Island (XO: W)
1993- Prof. X and Magneto visit Jean Grey
2003- Angel's (Warren) powers manifest
2012- X and X2
2013- X: TLS
2015- The Wolverine
2017- 50 years of Trask Industries and Prof. X and Magneto confront Logan
2023- X: DoFP (future part)

There

Iron Legion_042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:16 PM   #34
lordofthenerds
Not a Goddamn Side-Kick

^ That timeline would make Cyclops around 50 during the OT. And Huston's Stryker would be a full 31 years younger than X2's.

Are you still going with it?

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
You officially have no life.
lordofthenerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:47 PM   #35
Iron Legion_042
Side-Kick

^ lordofthenerds, not if you just change when they were born. Cyclops was a kid in 1962 an then 17 in 1981 which is impossible. Just like with Storm- she was 12 in 1962 and then 3 in 1975....no way! So Cyclops and Storm's appearances in Origins Wolverine and FC are errors

Iron Legion_042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:36 AM   #36
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

Hopefully, they'll have it so FC is the result of Wolverine's time-travel, thus the 'plotholes'.

After The Wolverine, he's recruited by Xavier and Magneto for a coming war. However they end up failing, thus Wolvy is sent back in time.

He gets sent back to the 40's, too far back by accident. The butterfly effect causes things to be different (thus why Eric and Charles don't meet when they're 17, why several people are born 'earlier', etc).

Stewart and McKellan are getting old. Let this be their last film.

The FC timeline should be the new time-line and time-period moving forward, where we can see a young (recast) Scott, Jean, and Storm joining the Xmen, the lead-characters for future movies, this time with Wolvy as the experienced one (should Jackman return).

(I feel like a hint at those three would be a great ending for DOFP; dossier files on 'Summers', 'Grey', and 'Monro'. )

Last edited by FeedOnATreeFrog; 08-17-2013 at 11:47 AM.
FeedOnATreeFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:39 AM   #37
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedOnATreeFrog View Post
Hopefully, they'll have it so FC is the result of Wolverine's time-travel, thus the 'plotholes'.

After The Wolverine, he's recruited by Xavier and Magneto for a coming war. However they end up failing, thus Wolvy is sent back in time.

He gets sent back to the 40's, too far back by accident. The butterfly effect causes things to be different (thus why Eric and Charles don't meet when they're 17, why several people are born 'earlier', etc)
i think FC is official continuity now, while the 17 thing is most likely to be retconned

Last edited by GuestStar2004; 08-17-2013 at 11:51 AM.
GuestStar2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:48 AM   #38
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestStar2004 View Post
i think FC is official continuity now, while 17 thing is most likely to be retconned
perhaps it'll be same continuity, different branching timeline.

FeedOnATreeFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:48 AM   #39
xDOFPx
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedOnATreeFrog View Post

He gets sent back to the 40's, too far back by accident. The butterfly effect causes things to be different (thus why Eric and Charles don't meet when they're 17, why several people are born 'earlier', etc).

Stewart and McKellan are getting old. Let this be their last film.

The FC timeline should be the new time-line and time-period moving forward, where we can see a young (recast) Scott, Jean, and Storm joining the Xmen, the lead-characters for future movies, this time with Wolvy as the experienced one (should Jackman return).

(I feel like a hint at those three would be a great ending for DOFP; dossier files on 'Summers', 'Grey', and 'Monro'. )
The producers and cast have implied that the OT cast will be continuing and so will the FC one. There will likely be two timelines that the sequels are set in. They aren't scrapping the OT one.

xDOFPx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 03:52 PM   #40
Spider-Fan83
Thwip Thwip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Legion_042 View Post
^ lordofthenerds, not if you just change when they were born. Cyclops was a kid in 1962 an then 17 in 1981 which is impossible. Just like with Storm- she was 12 in 1962 and then 3 in 1975....no way! So Cyclops and Storm's appearances in Origins Wolverine and FC are errors
ppl take this way to far...

storms and scott "appearce" in FC, were blink an you miss it cameo's, that were just meant as easter eggs (they were not mentioned by name or confirmed) so it shouldn't count as continues

storms cameo in XO:W is from a deleted scene

Last edited by Spider-Fan83; 08-18-2013 at 06:02 AM.
Spider-Fan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:08 PM   #41
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan83 View Post
ppl take this way to far...

storms and scott "appearce" in FC, were blink an you miss it cameo's, that were just meant as easter eggs (they were not mentioned by name or confirmed) so it should count as continues

storms cameo in XO:W is from a deleted scene
Agreed!

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:04 AM   #42
GRangerPrimeNYC
AgentGodzillaRangerPrime

The first X-Men film mostlikely takes place before 2001, since the WTC was seen in the finale d:

Unless 9/11 never happened in this universe.

Phase III: -A-CA3-DS--GOTG2--A3 Shows: -DD-JJ-IF-LC-TD One Shots:
GRangerPrimeNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:07 AM   #43
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRangerPrimeNYC View Post
The first X-Men film mostlikely takes place before 2001, since the WTC was seen in the finale d:

Unless 9/11 never happened in this universe.
I think we're going with the latter.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:11 PM   #44
PhoenixRogue
Side-Kick

Sorry to say but Halle Famke and James / Storm, Jean and Scott look like their mid 20s to 30 in X1 saying they were pre teens is just ridiculous.

I think in 1973 they are teenagers right or at least just starting with school at the X-Mansion seeing that Storm Jean and Cyclops were some of his first students ? and lets not forget Scott is Havok his little brother throwing that out is stupid as well

PhoenixRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:23 PM   #45
xDOFPx
Side-Kick

Scott and Havok aren't officially related in the movie verse. And Scott, Jean and Storm could still have been some of his first students. He didn't say first, he 'some of the first'. There may not have been any new classes between FC and whenever Scott etc became students so they would have been some of the first even if 30 years past in between.

They couldn't have been students anywhere near 1973. And the easter egg unconfirmed cameos in FC don't contradict that. We have no idea that is who those children actually were as they weren't named. Therefore the continuity and timeline still fit for the characters and the OT.

xDOFPx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:06 PM   #46
Spider-Fan83
Thwip Thwip

ya, I have a hard time thinking of the characters pushing 40 in the OT
(could see maybe, Berry and Janssen, who were in their mid 30's at the time, but no way was Marsden's Scott 40, he's bearly 40 now lol)

man I always forget how much younger he was then the others in that movie

Last edited by Spider-Fan83; 08-19-2013 at 07:58 PM.
Spider-Fan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:56 AM   #47
CyclopsSummers
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Legion_042 View Post

Cyclops and Storm in 1st Class are errors
But teenage Scott in Origins is right

CyclopsSummers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:22 PM   #48
Super Jim
Side-Kick

Was reading an intersting write-up of the cartoon Days of Future Past story which slammed so many aspects of that episode. Was pretty much dead on. For those who want a chuckle, here's the link:

http://comicsalliance.com/the-x-men-...past-part-two/

Anyway, this was the episode where Bishop was sent back to stop Gambit from murdering someone, which caused the dystopian future where the Sentinals ruled and a 9 foot adamantium skeleton is sitting in a pod filled with fluid.

So, this got me thinking about all of the various takes on Days of Future Past. The original comic was pretty straight forward, as far as timeline stories go. Simply the future is bad, send Kate's mind back into Kitty's body, stop the murder, life is good.

Same in many ways for this bad cartoon version. The future is bad, send Bishop (his body, mind and soul) back, stop the murder, life is good.

I then realized how different the story is as far as the Days of Future Past movie and why...

See, in all of the other stories you started in the future and traveled to the present to stop the murder. In these stories the murder (which is the cause of the future problems) hasn't happened yet.

But in the DOFP movie they want to use both the present and past characters, while also changing the history of what we've been shown. This makes the story so much more difficult.

The main difference is that in these past stories the dystopian Sentinal aspect isn't until the future, but was caused by the present. But for this movie it is (assumed) a dystopian future caused by the past. And this is a past that we've come to know, or at least have a general understanding of since we have seen a few versions of the present (in X1, X2, X3, Origins and The Wolverine), in which the past has already happened.

See in all of these others the Sentinals were just starting to become a problem in the present and becomes a much bigger problem in the future. Stop the murder in the present and you stop the problems in the future. But now all of the problems are supposedly from the past (Sentinals first released in 1973), but we've never seen any of this.

So, what's my point?

The point is that in the other stories it's simple to say something WILL be bad in the future because of something that WILL happen in the present. Stop that thing in the present from happening and the bad future is fixed. But this story takes it to a much more difficult level...

Now we have a timeline that has already been shown, and guess what, no Sentinals. Now we're being shown that Sentinals were released in 1973, 40 years ago. So in order to do this it now takes three timelines, if not four, to tell the story.

See, in the cartoon and the original comic it was just the future and the present. But now the timeline will need to include the thing that they are trying to stop (assumed to be the release of the Sentinals in 1973), something that must have happened prior to that point (some change of events that caused Trask to want to devote so much time to anti-mutant technology), the present and possibly even the future (where will Bishop come from).

So here are the questions that I've asked to come to this realization...

- How does present Xavier and present Magneto know that they need to fix the past?

This is a very important question. It can't be from what is going on outside since we haven't seen anything of a real Sentinal in any of the movies (that Danger Room one doesn't count - wasn't real). Yet some how they know that they need to send Wolvie back to 1973. So this leads to the question:

- Have they been contacted from someone in the future?

Could Professor X have been contacted by his future self or a future Bishop and told of how bad things will be?

But if that's the case, then you get this question:

- Have Sentinals been around since 1973 and we were never shown? Are we supposed to believe that at no time did any of the X-Men, or even their villains, see, discuss, read about, etc.; the Sentinals who have been roaming the streets for the past 30-40 years? In fact we were already shown the President and other officials who were just starting to get worried, not having known about this issue for the past 30 years.

So if that's the case, then:

- Isn't it logical then to conclude that Trask and his Sentinals were not part of the normal timeline?

And if that's a fair question, then it starts getting very weird, with questions like:

- So was Xavier/Magneto contacted from a different reality or timeline than the one we've been shown?

In fact, this leads to questions on how timelines work in the movie X-universe, such as:

- If someone changes the timeline in the past does the present change around you, or does your timeline stay the same but a new one get created, or worse, does your timeline cease to exist, being replaced by the new one.

But if that was the case, then:

- If your timeline just ceases to exist wouldn't it be instantaneous, so you wouldn't have time to send someone back to fix the timeline.

Anyway, it's going to be very interesting to see how they set up the need to send Wolvie back. If all of a sudden Sentinals have been around since 1973 and no one has ever said a word and we've never been shown, then I'm going to lost all respect for Singer.

Look, I think it's cool that they are trying to create a movie that includes both casts, but things would have been so much easier if it was just the dystopian future and the present. They want both casts, but that's going to be almost impossible to do right. Unless they just have Sentinals roaming around and try to convince us that this is how it's always been, then this story is going to be tough. Are they going to explain how Xavier knows that he needs to change the past? Are they going to explain how they know it's 1973? Are they going to explain that something was altered in the past to change the timeline?

Really, the best way they could have done this is show the present characters just doing their thing and then all of a sudden the present changes around the one character that we're with. That way the audience was shown that something has changed. Now the story works. The new present characters realize that something was changed and someone has to go back and fix it. That person goes back, fixes the change, comes back to the present, and possibly some things are different (butterfly effect) and some of the wrongs of X1-3 and Origins are righted.

But unfortunately, so far, based on the mid-credits scene from the Wolverine and what we've seen online, they aren't going this route, meaning I'm starting to worry about this movie's story.

It's got to be either the present changes around the characters, showing the past has been changed and needs to be fixed.

Or

The Sentinals have been around since 1973 and somehow we have never seen or heard about them in any of the movies we've been shown.

Super Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:00 AM   #49
Farren
Side Kicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Jim View Post
Was reading an intersting write-up of the cartoon Days of Future Past story which slammed so many aspects of that episode. Was pretty much dead on. For those who want a chuckle, here's the link:

http://comicsalliance.com/the-x-men-...past-part-two/
Whaaaaa. I will tolerate no shade being thrown on TAS. They actually handled the time travel stuff pretty well. And they managed to use Cable and Bishop in ways that didn't make my brain glaze over in confusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Jim View Post
Really, the best way they could have done this is show the present characters just doing their thing and then all of a sudden the present changes around the one character that we're with. That way the audience was shown that something has changed. Now the story works. The new present characters realize that something was changed and someone has to go back and fix it. That person goes back, fixes the change, comes back to the present, and possibly some things are different (butterfly effect) and some of the wrongs of X1-3 and Origins are righted.

But unfortunately, so far, based on the mid-credits scene from the Wolverine and what we've seen online, they aren't going this route, meaning I'm starting to worry about this movie's story.
What about the mid-credits scene or the online stuff makes you think this isn't possible?

It could be that DoFP opens with the timeline already having been altered. We don't have to see the literal change take place, just the characters realizing it.

That's (IIRC) sort of how things went down in Age of Apocalypse. I mean, yes, we as readers saw how things changed and why before the characters. But in the aftermath of those changes none of the characters were aware of it until they ran into Bishop who (for whatever contrived reason they came up) somehow knew that something was "off" and they needed to fix things.

It's all a bit complicated, but it might be a good approach for DoFP, because time travel is typically handled in one of two ways:
1) You can't change the past
2) The "Many Worlds" solution, which is that the time traveler either, a) ends up in an alternate reality, or b) if they change anything, it creates an alternate reality

Neither of those approaches bodes well for a Future X-Men Team attempting to change the past, because in general, physics says they'll be stuck with the same reality no matter what.

But the "The Timeline's already been mucked with and we need to fix it" angle....while it's probably not as plausible in modern physics...has been used before. And there is sort of a logic to it. It's as if the timeline is giving itself a chance to restore itself and resolve the traditional paradoxes associated with time travel.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:14 AM   #50
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Sentinels could have been around since 1973 while still not roaming the streets unmentioned in the main trilogy.

Trask Industries could have very well developed some sort of equipment against the mutant menace after the events of X-Men: First Class, but since at this point, mutants are still relatively unknown, and only known to governments, Sentinels are kept as some sort of "secret weapon", but not put forth in mass production. Similar to how real world United States has nukes, but we're not going around nuking everyone into Oblivion.

Then, around the timeframe of the main trilogy, mutants become more publicly known. We have a mutant terrorist attack (Liberty Island, X-Men), a near-apocalyptic event where a mutant nearly wipes out all of humanity (X2), the destruction of a dam and flooding of Alkali Lake, and finally a mutant army that commits terrorist attacks around the country, breaking out mutants out of prison, and engaging a full scale assault on the Alcatraz research facility, causing the destruction of a national landmark in the Golden Gate Bridge (X-Men: The Last Stand), and this all brings about a public reaction, and Trask Industries is the beneficiary of this, creating the Sentinel technology.

Then we have Sentinels approved by the government, mass produced, and THIS is when Sentinels begin roaming the streets.

Despite the viral marketing, I highly doubt that Sentinels are going to be roaming the streets and being publicly visible in 1973. I don't doubt that there will be a Sentinel battle in 1973, but it probably won't take place in the public eye. And even if it is, I still feel that a Sentinel program being in the Danger Room can lend credence to the idea that there was some sort of knowledge of Sentinels. Otherwise, how would Xavier know to have a Sentinel training program in the Danger Room?

You do bring up one really good point tho - the difference between comic Days Of Future Past and movie Days Of Future Past is that the comics, there is a future, and a present, and what's being changed is a period of time that is yet to happen.

In the movie version, there is a future, and a past, going back to a time earlier than events that have already happened. So this causes the "will they / won't they" questions about wiping out existing continuity. I really don't know what they are going to do, if Days Of Future Past is going to be used as an excuse to create the new timeline, to create First Class sequels free of the existing timeline, or if it's going to tie all the time periods together, or what. I personally have no idea. I don't think they would wipe out the existing continuity when they spent the entirety of X-Men: First Class leading into those events, while the events of The Wolverine confirm and further establish those events. But also, if Logan going back in time somehow establishes the past before the events of the main trilogy, then Logan going back in time essentially fulfills the apocalyptic future that they are trying to prevent in the first place. So I'm definitely curious to see what happens.