View Poll Results: Which is better?
The Dark Knight 112 57.73%
The Avengers 82 42.27%
Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-18-2013, 02:44 PM   #76
OcStat
Side-Kick

Default Re: Tdk vs Avengers

Don't get me wrong, Nolan should get that credit. But if it wasn't him, someone would have figured it in time. Some posters try to credit almost every comic book film since TDK to him in one way or another and I think that's reaching.

And I don't want to get the impression that I don't think very highly of Christopher Nolan, but Batman was probably the easiest comic superhero to adapt in the style he chose.

OcStat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 03:03 PM   #77
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

I've been saying this too much but the first time I saw someone treating a comic book superhero with such realism it was incredible was the TV pilot movie for The Incredible Hulk TV series - and I have to emphasize I am talking about the TV pilot only. The way Dr. Banner gets to the gamma radiation formula or the way he could have avoided the tragedy but couldn't, the way Hulk is seen as a true monster that ruins his life... and to think they'd take decades to get to that point again.

But I also think Bryan Singer did his share with X-Men.

Now, Nolan had it easy with Batman? Excuse me but if anything he made it look easy. The tone he chose for the movies could have easily gone terribly wrong, absurd and boring.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 03:16 PM   #78
OcStat
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Pleasury View Post
Now, Nolan had it easy with Batman? Excuse me but if anything he made it look easy. The tone he chose for the movies could have easily gone terribly wrong, absurd and boring.
The intricacies and perfect handling of all the plot threads in TDK I am sure was not an easy task, I don't mean it in that sense.

The tone he chose was a perfect fit. It just suits Batman better than any other character. And as a character, Batman is more or less already in a relatively grounded universe (Not speaking for the DC comics as a whole). People rave over the fact that TDK was this elaborate crime-caper, and not so much a comic book movie. But to me, a crime-caper comic book movie, about Batman, just makes sense.

OcStat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 03:31 PM   #79
Lord
All Mighty

The Dark Knight by far, i found The Avengers a little......hollow

Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:12 PM   #80
terry78
Smiling is for sellouts

Basically the argument is apples and oranges. The real comparison would be how good JL may be.

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:49 PM   #81
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

It just comes down to what you prefer.

A pretentious CBM that ”elevates” the genre based on a single iconic performance.

Or a proud CBM that exposes what makes comics appealing to every generation.

MessiahDecoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:52 PM   #82
jmc
callin' it like I see it

It's not pretentious. Jesus christ, don't be a tool.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
jmc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:53 PM   #83
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

I'm worried that every comic book movie is going to copy Nolan's approach like Man of Steel did.

I hope heart and imagination aren't lost in rush towards bleak realism.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:56 PM   #84
Human Torch
I Can't Dance

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post

A pretentious CBM that ”elevates” the genre based on a single iconic performance.

I think that sums it up quite well.

It seems like most people want to a film that appeals to film school snobs,as opposed to a film that respects the actual genre.

Human Torch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:59 PM   #85
Human Torch
I Can't Dance

Quote:
I'm worried that every comic book movie is going to copy Nolan's approach like Man of Steel did.

I don't think we have to worry about that as far as Marvel is concerned.DC on the other hand,will likely be mired in bleakness for the foreseeable future.

Human Torch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:00 PM   #86
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
It's not pretentious. Jesus christ, don't be a tool.
Don't get your panties in a twist.

I'm allowed to consider a movie with forced 9-11 allegories and over-glorified monologues , ”pretentious”.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:05 PM   #87
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:
Don't get your panties in a twist.

I'm allowed to consider a movie with forced 9-11 allegories and over-glorified monologues , ”pretentious”.
You can, but I don't think you quite understand what the word pretentious means.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:16 PM   #88
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

Quote:
You can, but I don't think you quite understand what the word pretentious means.
Okay, then feel free to let me know in what ways I'm misusing the term.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:30 PM   #89
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:

And you're calling TDK pretentious?

It more than elevates it; it captures why Batman has been so popular for so many decades while simultaneously making it current to the time it was made in (post-9/11 Bush Years paranoia). And is far more than the Joker. I will take its portrayal of Bruce Wayne, Harvey Dent and Jim Gordon's triumvirate any day over the Avengers cracking wise. And I loved Whedon dialogue when it is cracking wise.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:33 PM   #90
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Torch View Post
I think that sums it up quite well.

It seems like most people want to a film that appeals to film school snobs,as opposed to a film that respects the actual genre.
I would rather have a film that embraces the true essence of the character and its real genre (i.e. Batman is crime, Spidey is teen/young adult melodrama, X-Men is social allegory, etc.) than one that assumes because it is based on a comic book it is all about bright colors and extravagant costumes.

Don't get me wrong. Avengers worked very well for what it was. But I guarantee you that Whedon will not make that same movie again.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:43 PM   #91
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:
Okay, then feel free to let me know in what ways I'm misusing the term.
Pretentious means something that thinks itself to be of greater importance than it actually is. It was never the film makers intention to make a movie that was trying to see itself as important, it was simply to make the best possible Batman movie they could. Just because a film asks it audience to pay attention and takes the subject matter seriously doesn't mean it thinks itself to be pretentious, how is it any different to what comic book writers do? Not every superhero comic is a continual run of splash page action scenes mixed in with some witty dialog. Some of them go pages and pages without action and are entirely dialog focused and require you to pay attention. What's the difference? One's an illustration? Because it's not as 'fun'? I don't recall every comic book story I've read to be 'fun'. If you don't like engaging storytelling and just want an easy fun ride, that's fine, but don't make out TDK is trying to be something it isn't, all it did was take a concept and do something different with it. Those who say it elevated the genre came from the people watching it, not the film makers, don't mistake the two. Not your cup of tea? Fine, but don't make out there's only one way to do superheroes, you're ignoring the very medium these characters are based on if you think that way. You say Avengers is proud to be a superhero movie - I agree, but if you think it shows off the best quality of what's in comic books you're sadly mistaken because the one thing good comic books have that Avengers doesn't is a story.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:44 PM   #92
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
But I guarantee you that Whedon will not make that same movie again.
I agree 100%. I said this in the last page but Avengers will probably be the last time we get such a pure superhero movie.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:48 PM   #93
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

Quote:

It more than elevates it; it captures why Batman has been so popular for so many decades while simultaneously making it current to the time it was made in (post-9/11 Bush Years paranoia). And is far more than the Joker. I will take its portrayal of Bruce Wayne, Harvey Dent and Jim Gordon's triumvirate any day over the Avengers cracking wise. And I loved Whedon dialogue when it is cracking wise.
I wouldn't consider the characterizations of Bruce, Dent, or Gordon neither poor nor groundbreaking.

They're are reasonably accurate outside of Two Face (which I consider inaccurate) but nothing special.

Without Heath's Joker TDK would probably be in the same category as Dark Knight Rises which is pretty good but far short of legendary.

Last edited by MessiahDecoy123; 08-18-2013 at 06:57 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:57 PM   #94
Squaremaster316
Side-Kick

I prefer a film that elevates the genre and shows that both the films and the comic book medium that they come from can be as diverse as any medium of entertainment (The Dark Knight)

Some others might prefer a stale, generic cluster***** that does nothing new and is produced by con artists that make others think they're doing anything unique or difficult (which The Avengers is neither).

If the world ever does suffer a massive, apocalyptic cataclysm, let's hope that all records of Marvel's entire filmography will be one of the things that justifiably goes up in smoke.

Squaremaster316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:00 PM   #95
flickchick85
Loose Seal

I hate all this mudslinging. It's like my two favorite kids hate each other.

01000110011011110111001000100000011001010111011001 10010101110010011110010010000001100001011101000110 11110110110100100000011000100110010101101100011011 11011011100110011101101001011011100110011100100000 01110100011011110010000001101101011001010010000001 10000101110011001000000110011101101111011011110110 01000010000001100010011001010110110001101111011011 10011001110111001100100000011101000110111100100000 01111001011011110111010100101110
flickchick85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:00 PM   #96
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:

Quote:
I would rather have a film that embraces the true essence of the character and its real genre (i.e. Batman is crime, Spidey is teen/young adult melodrama, X-Men is social allegory, etc.) than one that assumes because it is based on a comic book it is all about bright colors and extravagant costumes.

Don't get me wrong. Avengers worked very well for what it was. But I guarantee you that Whedon will not make that same movie again.
Quote:
Pretentious means something that thinks itself to be of greater importance than it actually is. It was never the film makers intention to make a movie that was trying to see itself as important, it was simply to make the best possible Batman movie they could. Just because a film asks it audience to pay attention and takes the subject matter seriously doesn't mean it thinks itself to be pretentious, how is it any different to what comic book writers do? Not every superhero comic is a continual run of splash page action scenes mixed in with some witty dialog. Some of them go pages and pages without action and are entirely dialog focused and require you to pay attention. What's the difference? One's an illustration? Because it's not as 'fun'? I don't recall every comic book story I've read to be 'fun'. If you don't like engaging storytelling and just want an easy fun ride, that's fine, but don't make out TDK is trying to be something it isn't, all it did was take a concept and do something different with it. Those who say it elevated the genre came from the people watching it, not the film makers, don't mistake the two. Not your cup of tea? Fine, but don't make out there's only one way to do superheroes, you're ignoring the very medium these characters are based on if you think that way. You say Avengers is proud to be a superhero movie - I agree, but if you think it shows off the best quality of what's in comic books you're sadly mistaken because the one thing good comic books have that Avengers doesn't is a story.
Brilliant posts are brilliant . I was going to respond saying essentially the same thing but you guys have beaten me to it.

There is no such thing as a "comic book genre" nor is there such a thing as "embracing" the comic book genre or "elevating it". Comics are a medium just like everything else. The Dark Knight is just as valid of a comic book movie as The Avengers is. To say that TDK is an invalid comic book movie just because it's not "fun" and doesn't have colorful costumes is ludicrous. People are simplifying comic books and comic book movies with statements such as those - simplifying them to just colorful men in tights fighting "the bad guys". Not only does this false generalization make any superhero films that lack the Avengers style/tone appear as invalid, but it also makes many Vertigo books and films appear as invalid comic books/comic book movies. By the same logic of TDK not being a true/proud CBM, stuff like Y: The Last Man, The Walking Dead, Hellblazer and Preacher are all invalid comics that are not "proud" of being a comic.

So many comic book fans often point fingers to the general audience and accuse them of bias towards other CBM's yet they often do the same thing. There is a pretentiousness and close-mindedness to this that makes me wonder, if the fans aren't going to accept comics for all that they are and close them all off to a genre and to a specific tone, then why should anyone from outside the medium take comics seriously at all? The apparent fans do not.

Shikamaru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:22 PM   #97
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:

It was certainly more than that. The tone, the story, everything was of excellency.

Quote:

Avengers was comic-y enough. I wouldn't be so afraid, and even so that's not TDK fault and even if it were, the movie's still good regardless of its possible influence on later movies.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:23 PM   #98
terry78
Smiling is for sellouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickchick85 View Post
I hate all this mudslinging. It's like my two favorite kids hate each other.
Men are talking.

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:43 PM   #99
jmc
callin' it like I see it

The great irony in all this is Marvel are heading more toward the Nolan Batman approach in making superhero films if Iron Man 3 is anything to go by. It's not a film that's trying to be a superhero movie, it's very much a movie that just happens to have a superhero in it, it's a film that did it absolute best to move beyond whatever Avengers did, in fact I'll go so far to say the Avengers has given Marvel the chance to make films more in line with Nolan's approach to film making. They couldn't really do that beforehand in phase one so they had to tiptoe their way making conventional superhero movies culminating in Avengers. Now that Avengers is widely successful, more than they probably imagined, they can let their hair down and start making the movies that go beyond what they did before.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:50 PM   #100
flickchick85
Loose Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
Men are talking.

01000110011011110111001000100000011001010111011001 10010101110010011110010010000001100001011101000110 11110110110100100000011000100110010101101100011011 11011011100110011101101001011011100110011100100000 01110100011011110010000001101101011001010010000001 10000101110011001000000110011101101111011011110110 01000010000001100010011001010110110001101111011011 10011001110111001100100000011101000110111100100000 01111001011011110111010100101110
flickchick85 is online now   Reply With Quote