The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 08-19-2013, 01:17 PM   #51
Lord
All Mighty

Default Re: Kick Ass 2 announcement coming soon - Part 1

Did the film use any of the stuff from the hit-girl spin off?

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:42 PM   #52
Raiden
RIP Robin Williams

I heard the director is attached to film X-Force for 2015. Is this true?

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:51 PM   #53
ShadowBoxer
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
Did the film use any of the stuff from the hit-girl spin off?
Yes some stuff not all of it.

ShadowBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:53 PM   #54
ShadowBoxer
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
I heard the director is attached to film X-Force for 2015. Is this true?
I hope not....... Nothing against the director but there are better choices out there.

ShadowBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:10 PM   #55
animexcel
Side-Kick

I enjoyed the film. I see where people have a problem with certain things like the bad cgi diarrhea, it was pretty obvious; like some shots of Superman's cgi cape. Slow and wavy, haha. Loved Man of Steel by the way, just saying.

The Katie breakup didn't bother me too much. I mean it's like in the Karate Kid part II, how they got rid of Elizabeth Shue's character.

I definitely agree on the Todd situation. That was just poorly executed. I don't think he was even at Dave's dad's funeral. Technically he's now in Dave's situation in the first movie regarding to Big Daddy's death. Only he doesn't feel guilty about it. I guess it was only appropriate since he wanted to copy Kick-Ass. That being said, they could've done a little more with his character. He did have a crush on Hit-Girl in the first movie and mentioned he'll wait. I think it would've been funny if he recognized her in the final battle and tried to make some moves on her. Yeah, that would be bad. Just thinkin' out loud ._.

Hit-Girl vs Mother Russia was badass. As for the ending, I thought it echoed the end of The Dark Knight a bit where Mindy is on her bike fleeing.

Last edited by animexcel; 08-19-2013 at 02:42 PM.
animexcel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:19 PM   #56
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowBoxer View Post
I hope not....... Nothing against the director but there are better choices out there.
Yes, he's writing the movie with the option to direct as well.

Joss Whedon's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is the cinematic equivalent of Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave with a bunch of scraps
Poni_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:18 PM   #57
PyroChamber
Chicka Chick-ahhhh

I finally got to see this movie today, and I liked it; not as much as the original but like with Spill.com, I'd give it a high Rental.

Now a few things...

Personally, I didn't really like the whole Mean Girls aspect of the movie; I saw where they were going with it but they made it a little too stereotypical for me.

I agree with everyone on the Todd thing but also, is it really hard to believe that they took him back if IIRC they really didn't know that he was the one that sold Dave out? I mean there wasn't really any indication that they knew he did it, as crazy as it sounds I don't even think they saw him there at the beginning of the fight.

I wasn't really upset with Katie breaking up with Dave, kinda wish it happened before the story started, with everything that was going on she wasn't really needed. And I thought Night-B**** was an upgrade, way better looking IMO.

But one thing I was was wondering in the last scene, was it suppose look like Dave was building some kind of armored version of his costume ala Iron Man?

Quote:
Sometimes, it's so easy, I'm ashamed of myself.
PyroChamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:00 PM   #58
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

What are the chances for Kick Ass 3? I know this one didn't do as well, but I can't imagine that they can't recoup 28 mil and make a profit.

"If we are all united, we can take back our lives. While they stand divided, we can fight them and their laws. If we get up off our knees, we can show them that we are people. We can take back this "free" country! - Anti-Flag
Ultimatehero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:07 PM   #59
Lord
All Mighty

So, they added a new love interest called Night b***?

I think i just lost half my interest of this movie

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:23 PM   #60
K.Cruz
Side-Kick

Quote:
So, they added a new love interest called Night b***?

I think i just lost half my interest of this movie
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

NB is not a love interest. Not really. You'll understand when you watch the movie. His real love interest by the time the end rolls around seems to be Hit-girl.

K.Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:28 PM   #61
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

/\
Hit Girl didn't seem to be Dave's love interest. Hit Girl seemed to have a crush on Dave. Dave views her as his little sister who surprised him by kissing him.

"If we are all united, we can take back our lives. While they stand divided, we can fight them and their laws. If we get up off our knees, we can show them that we are people. We can take back this "free" country! - Anti-Flag
Old 08-19-2013, 06:39 PM   #62
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroChamber View Post
I finally got to see this movie today, and I liked it; not as much as the original but like with Spill.com, I'd give it a high Rental.

Now a few things...

Personally, I didn't really like the whole Mean Girls aspect of the movie; I saw where they were going with it but they made it a little too stereotypical for me.

I agree with everyone on the Todd thing but also, is it really hard to believe that they took him back if IIRC they really didn't know that he was the one that sold Dave out? I mean there wasn't really any indication that they knew he did it, as crazy as it sounds I don't even think they saw him there at the beginning of the fight.

I wasn't really upset with Katie breaking up with Dave, kinda wish it happened before the story started, with everything that was going on she wasn't really needed. And I thought Night-B**** was an upgrade, way better looking IMO.

But one thing I was was wondering in the last scene, was it suppose look like Dave was building some kind of armored version of his costume ala Iron Man?
Yep, Iron Kick-Ass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimatehero View Post
What are the chances for Kick Ass 3? I know this one didn't do as well, but I can't imagine that they can't recoup 28 mil and make a profit.
We won't know for awhile, but I am really hoping it happens. And agree, hard to not make some sort of profit out of a film with that kinda of budget.

Quote:
/\
Hit Girl didn't seem to be Dave's love interest. Hit Girl seemed to have a crush on Dave. Dave views her as his little sister who surprised him by kissing him.
Listening to Dave's dialogue throughout the film, both internally and otherwise, seems to indicate he has feelings for Mindy he isn't aware of and probably hasn't even considered. Mindy's age and the fact that she hasn't ever indicated an interest in the opposite sex makes that more then plausible. The conversation between Dave and NB in the hospital really hits on this as well. Mindy and Dave truly care for one another. They get each other and are able to actually be themselves around one another.

Old 08-19-2013, 06:52 PM   #63
sontin
Side-Kick

I dont think that Dave had feelings for Mindy before the kiss. For him she is more a sister or a partner than a love interest.

sontin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:58 PM   #64
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sontin View Post

I dont think that Dave had feelings for Mindy before the kiss. For him she is more a sister or a partner than a love interest.
You do realize that is the basis for many a romance right?

Old 08-19-2013, 07:04 PM   #65
sontin
Side-Kick

Yes, but not in KA 2.

It's clear from one of the dialogues that Dave thinks she does not care about boys.

sontin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:11 PM   #66
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sontin View Post
Yes, but not in KA 2.

It's clear from one of the dialogues that Dave thinks she does not care about boys.
Which is my exact point. Dave wouldn't translate his feelings for her as anything beyond friendship because of her age (though she is only 3 years younger, we are talking about high school) and because he almost sees her as an asexual being. He idolizes her as a legit superhero. That is one of the major points of the film and the basis the Mean Girl storyline. Mindy's resolution in the film is her being able to identify herself as a young woman (her feelings for Dave) while still being true to Hit-Girl.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:27 PM   #67
K.Cruz
Side-Kick

Quote:
/\
What happened for her will probably happen to him if they make a Kick-ass 3 movie. Just like she became attracted to him as he grew up and his body changed, he'll become attracted to her as she ages and becomes a woman.

Doesn't matter at all that those two aren't together in the comics. If a kick-ass 3 movie gets made, I'm sure the studio will want those two to be together. After all, who can Mindy really have a romantic relationship with other than Dave? Who else would even come close to understanding her? They already established in this movie that she's not asexual. The Union J nonsense made her feel attraction for the opposite gender. She felt Dave was the only one deserving of having her first kiss, and the scene where she sees him with his shirt off speaks volumes. Step 1 was having her like him as more than a friend. Step 2 is having his feelings for grow, as well.

Last edited by K.Cruz; 08-19-2013 at 07:33 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:41 PM   #68
Leenie
Make Up!

Hm, my thoughts on Dave and Mindy:

I never interpreted Dave and Mindy's relationship as romantic, even after Mindy kissed him. Sure, Mindy seems to have a crush on Dave (that's obvious), but I don't think it's reciprocated.

After the kiss, it was clear Dave was shocked, but I don't think that's a sign of him having feelings for Mindy "in that way." Heck, even during the kiss, it wasn't Dave who initiated. He just stood there, and then asked why she kissed him.

I think their quick exchange after the kiss was just Dave understanding why Mindy kissed him. She needed a normal moment as a teenage girl, even if she's well beyond her years. It was a nice moment for her to have her first kiss be with her crush, especially since it wasn't likely that she'd have a moment like that again anytime soon.

So yeah, I think their relationship is more of a camaraderie rather than a romance.

(6) Captain America: The Winter Soldier, (7) Guardians Of The Galaxy, (8) Kick-Ass,
(9) Batman (89)
(10) Captain America: The First Avenger
Leenie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:19 PM   #69
K.Cruz
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leenie View Post
Hm, my thoughts on Dave and Mindy:

I never interpreted Dave and Mindy's relationship as romantic, even after Mindy kissed him. Sure, Mindy seems to have a crush on Dave (that's obvious), but I don't think it's reciprocated.

After the kiss, it was clear Dave was shocked, but I don't think that's a sign of him having feelings for Mindy "in that way." Heck, even during the kiss, it wasn't Dave who initiated. He just stood there, and then asked why she kissed him.

I think their quick exchange after the kiss was just Dave understanding why Mindy kissed him. She needed a normal moment as a teenage girl, even if she's well beyond her years. It was a nice moment for her to have her first kiss be with her crush, especially since it wasn't likely that she'd have a moment like that again anytime soon.

So yeah, I think their relationship is more of a camaraderie rather than a romance.
Let's use our common sense here, folks. There's no reason the kiss or the shirtless scene would be there if not to set-up a Dave/Mindy relationship if a third movie gets made. As I said, who else could last in a relationship with her? Why have her get a crush on Dave when such a thing isn't at all implied in the comics? Why waste time doing that if it isn't foreshadowing for the future. In fact, it's not just hit-girl who can't have a relationship with anyone else, the same applies for Dave. Plus the Dave/NB conversation in the hospital showed some obvious subtext, if you ask me. They understand each other better than anyone else can understand either of them.

Last edited by K.Cruz; 08-19-2013 at 08:24 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:29 PM   #70
Leenie
Make Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Cruz View Post
Let's use our common sense here, folks. There's no reason the kiss or the shirtless scene would be there if not to set-up a Dave/Mindy relationship if a third movie gets made. As I said, who else could last in a relationship with her? Why have her get a crush on Dave when such a thing isn't at all implied in the comics? Why waste time doing that if it isn't foreshadowing for the future. In fact, it's not just hit-girl who can't have a relationship with anyone else, the same applies for Dave. Plus the Dave/NB conversation in the hospital showed some obvious subtext, if you ask me. They understand each other better than anyone else can understand either of them.
How about you use YOUR common sense and realize that there wasn't a single part of my previous post where I said Dave wouldn't be interested in the future. I'm talking about the current film.

Jesus.

(6) Captain America: The Winter Soldier, (7) Guardians Of The Galaxy, (8) Kick-Ass,
(9) Batman (89)
(10) Captain America: The First Avenger
Leenie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:17 PM   #71
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Cruz View Post
I agree with Leenie, it was far more brother and sister.

ALSO the shirtless scene was there to show that she is a girl and that she is maturing and that she does have a crush on Dave. Without that scene? The kiss would have come out of thin air. But, she acted like a girl would. She developed a crush on a guy and took the initiative. Dave wasn't strutting around shirtless for her or trying to get her attention he viewed her as clearly non-sexual it was the ease of taking your shirt off around a family member on a scorching summer day, he wasn't "god that was cool!" after the kiss. Everything points to it being Hit Girl becoming a woman. If Dave reciprocated in that manner - they would have shown him in that manner. Basically he acted and talked about her like I would talk about a cousin, and reciprocated from the kiss as I would if it was a cousin - "what was that?" I see everything pointing to Mindy liking Dave, but nothing pointing to Dave liking her in that way. He would have at least smiled after the kiss, not act shocked and surprised and taken aback and ask why. And the ending pointed more towards her having confidence around a guy so she could find a boyfriend/s in the city. Her taking the initiative was the key, her taking the first step towards "I'm a girl and that's cool and now I can go to the city with confidence of being a girl who could be with a guy and fight crime!" That's what the ending showed me.

Last edited by Ultimatehero; 08-19-2013 at 09:24 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:18 AM   #72
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
/\
It is clearly setting things up for a sequel.

Assuming that we ever get a sequel. KA2 will turn a profit, but it may be so little I have a hard time believing a studio would invest in another one. Not unless they can get the budget down to $20 million. But that is clearly the direction that they are aiming.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:00 AM   #73
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Default Re: Kick Ass 2 announcement coming soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
You do realize she was messing with the guy right? She even told Dave she had been coming up with lines for such situations.

Vaughn doesn't seem to like the idea of sequels. Left DoFP as well to do Secret Service. Cast already looks strong and hopefully he does get Emma Watson for that.

On another note, This movie can't really "bomb".
http://boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

Opened in fifth place behind movies already in their second week of release.

If we see another Kick-Ass sequel it will be direct-to-video.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:19 AM   #74
O'Haire
Awesome

Saw it tonight and liked it quite a bit. Not as good as the first, but I wasn't really expecting it to be. Definitely not as horrible as lots of people are making it sound. Solid sequel and look forward to picking it up on Blu.

O'Haire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:06 AM   #75
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
It is clearly setting things up for a sequel.

Assuming that we ever get a sequel. KA2 will turn a profit, but it may be so little I have a hard time believing a studio would invest in another one. Not unless they can get the budget down to $20 million. But that is clearly the direction that they are aiming.
Clearly to me its some fanboys letting their imaginations run wild. We have had proof that Hit Girl likes Dave. We have had proof that Dave sees her in a non sexual manner. Where exactly is the proof that he was turned on by her? Usually when guys are excited - we have difficulty hiding it. We go "oh, wow" (smile, blush, something we can't help) not "what the heck was that? Okay...." They set Hit Girl up, where was Dave at all reciprocating it? If they wanted that? He would have at least smiled rather than acting like kissing cousins and awkwardly taken aback as if she was his cousin. Basically where is the proof on Dave's end rather than speculation?

Saying Dave 'might' develop feelings later despite going "what the heck? Okay..." is speculation not based on anything in the film.

As to why? The whole film was about Hit Girl's developing femininity and being able to take charge of her life as a girl rather than following the girls. Due to screen time and everything like that, from a structural stand-point it is fairly obvious why things happened and why she acts the way she does. However, on this same hand, where was Dave's reciprocation in a sexual manner? This isn't a hard thing to write or portray - a smile or a blush, not a confused scrunched face. Even if those feelings were there but not unearthed yet, there would have been some notion of that - not the look of somebody's who just been violated. A random girl? Cool! A cousin? Eww. Not that difficult to portray - they chose the scrunched face.

Last edited by Ultimatehero; 08-20-2013 at 02:33 AM.