The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 08-20-2013, 04:17 AM   #76
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Default Re: Kick Ass 2 announcement coming soon - Part 1

I think Jeff Wadlow just doesn't do a good job with the teen drama. Case in point: Never Back Down, which also spawned a DTV sequel .

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:47 AM   #77
sontin
Side-Kick

Wadlow handled the Mindy stuff quite well. It has the over the top humour of the franchise (like the Dave stuff in the first one) and the right emotional impact for Mindy's character development. I really appreciate it after my second viewing.

sontin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:55 AM   #78
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimatehero View Post
Clearly to me its some fanboys letting their imaginations run wild. We have had proof that Hit Girl likes Dave. We have had proof that Dave sees her in a non sexual manner. Where exactly is the proof that he was turned on by her? Usually when guys are excited - we have difficulty hiding it. We go "oh, wow" (smile, blush, something we can't help) not "what the heck was that? Okay...." They set Hit Girl up, where was Dave at all reciprocating it? If they wanted that? He would have at least smiled rather than acting like kissing cousins and awkwardly taken aback as if she was his cousin. Basically where is the proof on Dave's end rather than speculation?

Saying Dave 'might' develop feelings later despite going "what the heck? Okay..." is speculation not based on anything in the film.

As to why? The whole film was about Hit Girl's developing femininity and being able to take charge of her life as a girl rather than following the girls. Due to screen time and everything like that, from a structural stand-point it is fairly obvious why things happened and why she acts the way she does. However, on this same hand, where was Dave's reciprocation in a sexual manner? This isn't a hard thing to write or portray - a smile or a blush, not a confused scrunched face. Even if those feelings were there but not unearthed yet, there would have been some notion of that - not the look of somebody's who just been violated. A random girl? Cool! A cousin? Eww. Not that difficult to portray - they chose the scrunched face.
Ah, it's just storytelling. They established that Dave cannot relate to Katie or NB in KA2. He will likely be in a lonely place in KA3 with no father and likely little in his life but superheroing.

They established HG likes Dave in KA2 and leave Dave's reaction as stunned as he only finds out with 2 minutes of movie left.

By the next time there is a third one, assuming they ever make it, she will be 18 or 19 and Dave will be in a bad place.

I am not saying this is how I would have done it. I am just saying this is Hollywood romance 101. They are setting the deck for the next one. It is kind of obvious.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:10 AM   #79
K.Cruz
Side-Kick

Quote:
I agree with Leenie, it was far more brother and sister.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
ALSO the shirtless scene was there to show that she is a girl and that she is maturing and that she does have a crush on Dave. Without that scene? The kiss would have come out of thin air. But, she acted like a girl would. She developed a crush on a guy and took the initiative. Dave wasn't strutting around shirtless for her or trying to get her attention he viewed her as clearly non-sexual it was the ease of taking your shirt off around a family member on a scorching summer day, he wasn't "god that was cool!" after the kiss. Everything points to it being Hit Girl becoming a woman. If Dave reciprocated in that manner - they would have shown him in that manner. Basically he acted and talked about her like I would talk about a cousin, and reciprocated from the kiss as I would if it was a cousin - "what was that?" I see everything pointing to Mindy liking Dave, but nothing pointing to Dave liking her in that way. He would have at least smiled after the kiss, not act shocked and surprised and taken aback and ask why. And the ending pointed more towards her having confidence around a guy so she could find a boyfriend/s in the city. Her taking the initiative was the key, her taking the first step towards "I'm a girl and that's cool and now I can go to the city with confidence of being a girl who could be with a guy and fight crime!" That's what the ending showed me.
Sorry, but that goes against subtext and screenwriting. You don't put something like that in there unless you're setting something up for the future. Read my posts carefully. I never said Dave was attracted to her already. I said she likes him now, and he will grow to like her if a 3rd movie gets made. You honestly think hit-girl is just going to have random boyfriends in the city now? No one other than Dave understands her. No one other than Dave can fully appreciate her for who she is. That's why rather than going home first, she goes to see Dave after the date ditch. "I had to see my Robin." And speaking of that, she's not going to be in any hurry to trust another strange guy again after the date ditch.

Quote:
Clearly to me its some fanboys letting their imaginations run wild. We have had proof that Hit Girl likes Dave. We have had proof that Dave sees her in a non sexual manner. Where exactly is the proof that he was turned on by her? Usually when guys are excited - we have difficulty hiding it. We go "oh, wow" (smile, blush, something we can't help) not "what the heck was that? Okay...." They set Hit Girl up, where was Dave at all reciprocating it? If they wanted that? He would have at least smiled rather than acting like kissing cousins and awkwardly taken aback as if she was his cousin. Basically where is the proof on Dave's end rather than speculation?

Saying Dave 'might' develop feelings later despite going "what the heck? Okay..." is speculation not based on anything in the film.

As to why? The whole film was about Hit Girl's developing femininity and being able to take charge of her life as a girl rather than following the girls. Due to screen time and everything like that, from a structural stand-point it is fairly obvious why things happened and why she acts the way she does. However, on this same hand, where was Dave's reciprocation in a sexual manner? This isn't a hard thing to write or portray - a smile or a blush, not a confused scrunched face. Even if those feelings were there but not unearthed yet, there would have been some notion of that - not the look of somebody's who just been violated. A random girl? Cool! A cousin? Eww. Not that difficult to portray - they chose the scrunched face.
It's called screenwriting and subtext. He doesn't like her in that way... yet. He will if there's a 3rd film. That's the subtext this movie implies. She saw him change and became attracted. If there's a 3rd film, he'll see her get older and become a woman and become attracted. They are the only two people who can fully understand each other. This movie makes that clear. And you're acting as if he was grossed out by the kiss. That's simply not true. He was surprised. That's all. Attraction changed according to physical aspects and emotions. Later on, when she's older, assuming he sees her again, it's very likely he'll be attracted to her. Aside from that, what natural progression is there? They've already hammered it to us that NB and Katie can't fully relate to him. They've already hammered it to us that 99.9% of guys can't relate to or even come close to understanding hit-girl. Either they won't end up with anyone, or they'll both die, or they'll be with each other. There's also a small outside chance that Hit-girl and Todd will end up together given him saying he was going to save himself for her in the first movie. What other possibility is there? Dave won't just be with some random girl who is perfectly okay with him being Kick-ass, and Hit-girl won't just be with some random guy who is perfectly okay with her being hit-girl. Ask yourself what's more likely if a third film gets made- A- Hit-girl's crush on Dave and her first kiss being with him being completely ignored and swept under the rug and her dating random guys. B- She already likes him, so he'll eventually like her. Basic history of screenwriting tells us it'll be B.

Quote:
, it's just storytelling. They established that Dave cannot relate to Katie or NB in KA2. He will likely be in a lonely place in KA3 with no father and likely little in his life but superheroing.

They established HG likes Dave in KA2 and leave Dave's reaction as stunned as he only finds out with 2 minutes of movie left.

By the next time there is a third one, assuming they ever make it, she will be 18 or 19 and Dave will be in a bad place.

I am not saying this is how I would have done it. I am just saying this is Hollywood romance 101. They are setting the deck for the next one. It is kind of obvious.
Exactly. The other guy is acting as if Dave vomits after she kisses him. He's just surprised that she chose to do that. That's why he asks her "What was that?" And the thought of Mindy dating random guys in a different city is laughable. It completely goes against the nature of her character and what this movie shows us.

Last edited by K.Cruz; 08-20-2013 at 09:32 AM.
K.Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:12 AM   #80
K.Cruz
Side-Kick

Quote:

It's called screenwriting and subtext. He doesn't like her in that way... yet. He will if there's a 3rd film. That's the subtext this movie implies. She saw him change and became attracted. If there's a 3rd film, he'll see her get older and become a woman and become attracted. They are the only two people who can fully understand each other. This movie makes that clear. And you're acting as if he was grossed out by the kiss. That's simply not true. He was surprised. That's all. Attraction changed according to physical aspects and emotions. Later on, when she's older, assuming he sees her again, it's very likely he'll be attracted to her. Aside from that, what natural progression is there? They've already hammered it to us that NB and Katie can't fully relate to him. They've already hammered it to us that 99.9% of guys can't relate to or even come close to understanding hit-girl. Either they won't end up with anyone, or they'll both die, or they'll be with each other. There's also a small outside chance that Hit-girl and Todd will end up together given him saying he was going to save himself for her in the first movie. What other possibility is there? Dave won't just be with some random girl who is perfectly okay with him being Kick-ass, and Hit-girl won't just be with some random guy who is perfectly okay with her being hit-girl. Ask yourself what's more likely if a third film gets made- A- Hit-girl's crush on Dave and her first kiss being with him being completely ignored and swept under the rug and her dating random guys. B- She already likes him, so he'll eventually like her. Basic history of screenwriting tells us it'll be B.

Last edited by K.Cruz; 08-20-2013 at 09:22 AM.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:56 AM   #81
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

I basically skipped through all of your huge blocks of text after I saw it was the exact same thing over and over and over again - "Hit Girl likes Dave so even though we never see that Dave likes Hit Girl he is definitely gonna because he is gonna!"

As for screenwriting and subtext, dude what is there is what is there. You would have some hint from Dave other than that of a sibling. They didn't even give one they gave the opposite. Also what exactly is your background? Mine actually is being a screenwriter for Universal. So, let's see - who actually knows more about that... And I know people will call me a jerk for pointing this out, but the dudes post above beyond called for it.

As said, it would be as simple as a blush. The whole thing and whole point was Hit Girl gaining confidence as a woman. And if they wanted anything with Dave - they'd have gone with any other action than a scrunched face. Happy ending for Hit Girl? Yes. Necessary ending or a definitive one? No. There is nothing other than wanting a happy ending for Hit Girl and inserting feelings for Dave (which are never shown) behind this. This is a world where the characters don't get their happy fairy tale endings. Hell, Miller even jokes he'd like to see everyone die in the third one. So in the world the film set up? Hit Girl is most likely going to die, Dave is going to be depressed or alone or go into an asylum. THAT is the world of the film - these aren't happy ending romantic comedies where the boy suddenly gets feelings that were never there before so the girl can get her dream guy. Nothing in the world points to that and its the opposite of the ending Miller is joking about giving us - this is the writer and one of the key creative minds behind the films, happy fairy tale endings have never been what he goes after.

"If we are all united, we can take back our lives. While they stand divided, we can fight them and their laws. If we get up off our knees, we can show them that we are people. We can take back this "free" country! - Anti-Flag

Last edited by Ultimatehero; 08-20-2013 at 10:09 AM.
Ultimatehero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:24 AM   #82
JJJ's Ulcer
Old, cigar chompin' grump

So what's the deal with this film? I loved the first one (but thought the final act broke too much with the realistic atmosphere it was going for) and was planning to see this one. The trailer looked good. But it's rocking a super low score on Rotten Tomatoes. I'm kinda shocked. If it was in the 40's or 50's I might just figure that most of the critics don't understand it or were offended by the level of violence, but 28% is undeniably bad movie territory.

"My mum always said 'if someone doesn't like you, **** 'em. They've got bad taste.'" ~ Bob Hoskins on confidence.
JJJ's Ulcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:28 AM   #83
sontin
Side-Kick

It is not clear that

Dave has no interest in a closer relationship with Mindy?

Wadlow showed it numerous times

that Dave thinks Mindy lives only for fighting crime and has no real life. The exact opposite to him who has friends, a normal live and a girlfriend.

The only reason he was suprised by the kiss It came out of nowhere for him and was out of character for Mindy from his perspective.

That is something i like so much about the script. For me as a viewer everything makes sense. Wadlow did a great job to bring both characters forward. Better than the Nolan nonsense in the Batman movies where characters change their motivations from one second to another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ's Ulcer View Post
So what's the deal with this film? I loved the first one (but thought the final act broke too much with the realistic atmosphere it was going for) and was planning to see this one. The trailer looked good. But it's rocking a super low score on Rotten Tomatoes. I'm kinda shocked. If it was in the 40's or 50's I might just figure that most of the critics don't understand it or were offended by the level of violence, but 28% is undeniably bad movie territory.
It's hard to say. You will not get another Kick-Ass 1: No eleven year old girl is slaughtering through human bodies, no Mark Strong, not the same great action scenes.

On the other hand: It gives all three main characters a lot more development and depth, is more realistic than the first one, has much better onliners.

I would say: Give it a try. It's great movie just to have fun and expands the Kick-Ass universe.

Last edited by sontin; 08-20-2013 at 10:34 AM.
sontin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:35 AM   #84
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

I'm unsure exactly what you're saying, but he tells and acts about her the same way people would their sister or cousin. And in the end he oddly has a look like he's just been violated. Basically there's "what was that?!" and "where did that come from?"

"If we are all united, we can take back our lives. While they stand divided, we can fight them and their laws. If we get up off our knees, we can show them that we are people. We can take back this "free" country! - Anti-Flag

Last edited by Ultimatehero; 08-20-2013 at 10:48 AM.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:23 PM   #85
BlackFox
Burn baby burn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ's Ulcer View Post
I would say its critical review has been a touch harsh, it IS a comedown from the first, and does have some moments which really do drag it down but not nearly as bad as some have made out I think if it had score of 40-50 it would be fairer. There is some enjoyment here but just not anything like the first but I guess a lot of critics really didnt like the tone of this one or those one or two really bad moments could not be overlooked.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:29 PM   #86
Destructus86
Side-Kick

I had zero interest in this movie...I found the first one really tasteless.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:59 PM   #87
LostSon88
Side-Kick

cool.

Old 08-20-2013, 03:21 PM   #88
K.Cruz
Side-Kick

Quote:
I basically skipped through all of your huge blocks of text after I saw it was the exact same thing over and over and over again - "Hit Girl likes Dave so even though we never see that Dave likes Hit Girl he is definitely gonna because he is gonna!"

As for screenwriting and subtext, dude what is there is what is there. You would have some hint from Dave other than that of a sibling. They didn't even give one they gave the opposite. Also what exactly is your background? Mine actually is being a screenwriter for Universal. So, let's see - who actually knows more about that... And I know people will call me a jerk for pointing this out, but the dudes post above beyond called for it.

As said, it would be as simple as a blush. The whole thing and whole point was Hit Girl gaining confidence as a woman. And if they wanted anything with Dave - they'd have gone with any other action than a scrunched face. Happy ending for Hit Girl? Yes. Necessary ending or a definitive one? No. There is nothing other than wanting a happy ending for Hit Girl and inserting feelings for Dave (which are never shown) behind this. This is a world where the characters don't get their happy fairy tale endings. Hell, Miller even jokes he'd like to see everyone die in the third one. So in the world the film set up? Hit Girl is most likely going to die, Dave is going to be depressed or alone or go into an asylum. THAT is the world of the film - these aren't happy ending romantic comedies where the boy suddenly gets feelings that were never there before so the girl can get her dream guy. Nothing in the world points to that and its the opposite of the ending Miller is joking about giving us - this is the writer and one of the key creative minds behind the films, happy fairy tale endings have never been what he goes after.
So basically you ignored the parts where I and the other poster made it clear what's happening. Wow. The idea of those getting together really bugs you, huh.

It's Hollywood writing. They're setting up a romance between the two if a kick-ass 3 gets made. That's obvious. Those scenes simply would not be there if not to setup a future romance.

Watch more movies and read more books. One main character liking another main character, and that other one not feeling the same way right away is not uncommon. It happens all the time. 99.9999% of the time, the story ends with that other character eventually feeling the same way.

It's basic movie logic. Hit-girl is not going to just get with some random guy and Dave is not going to be with some random girl. The movie establishes that they understand each other better than anyone else can.

Oh, you for work for universal. Would you care to provide some proof of that? You would think that a screenwriter would understand basic subtext and Hollywood romance rules. Even other posters have pointed out how obvious it is.

Oh, and it's Millar. Not Miller. And Millar is a terrible writer who relies purely on shock value. In the comics, Dave and Mindy don't have any feelings for each other. That was changed in the movie (as well as many things being changed for this movie and the first one from comic to screen). This is not a comic. This is Hollywood. Mindy's girly stuff and her crush on Dave never happens in the comics. They added it in for the sake of making the movies more appealing. More Hollywood rules.

I find it baffling that someone who supposedly works in the industry knows so little about it. There is ZERO chance that the studio will allow either Dave or Mindy to die at the end of a Kick-ass 3 movie, if such a thing is ever made. Just like I said on IMDb, way back when, that the studio would never allow the rape scene or the dog head scene to make into their movie.

You seem to be a TDKR fan, so I'll give you an easy comparison. WB would have NEVER permitted Nolan to actually kill off Bruce Wayne.

You claim to work for Universal, but your comments seem to muddy that. How can a screenwriter active in the film industry have absolutely no idea about how things go down behind the doors of a movie studio?

The only way Mindy or Dave will die at the end of a Kick-ass 3 movie is if it's an indie film that has its budget provided by Millar and only Millar. Otherwise, if a mainstream production company and studio are involved, neither Dave nor Mindy are going to die. Period. To paraphrase Millar when he talked about why the extreme stuff from the comics wasn't included in the movie- You have to change things to please a more mainstream audience.

Quote:
I'm unsure exactly what you're saying, but he tells and acts about her the same way people would their sister or cousin. And in the end he oddly has a look like he's just been violated. Basically there's "what was that?!" and "where did that come from?"
Absolutely false. Now you're just making things up. You're acting as if he throws up after he kisses her. He is surprised. That's all. He is not violated or disgusted I any way. He doesn't even come close to pushing her away or anything like that. There's just surprise... and not at all unpleasant surprise. It's the surprise of a guy who just found out a female friend has romantic feelings for him. I don't know what sort of relationship you have with your cousins or sisters, but if a relative kisses you on the mouth, the normal reaction is to flinch away and spit out onto the ground or push that person away. Dave doesn't do any of those things.

Last edited by K.Cruz; 08-20-2013 at 04:12 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:16 PM   #89
flickchick85
Loose Seal

I think the Mindy/Dave debate that's going on here is really interesting because I truly believe they've made it so that either scenario is equally possible and neither would betray the characters as they've been established thus far.

From what we saw in KA2, Mindy has a crush on Dave, and Dave clearly has no feelings for Mindy in that way. That's the status as of now. If there were a sequel (which I'm quite sure there won't be at this point), regardless of what happens in the comics sequel which is naturally gonna be extremely different at this point, they could continue to have a comraderie in which Mindy either continues to have a crush or gets over it and moves on, and that would be entirely faithful to the characters. They could also have Dave start to develop feelings for her in the sequel, and it wouldn't be out of nowhere or a betrayal of what we've seen of his character thus far either. We already know he admires the hell out of her and pretty much holds her up on a pedestal, but has always seen her as an asexual being up to now. Quite simply, that can change as they both get older, especially if she's leaving town and doesn't re-emerge in his life for quite some time (assuming this unlikely hypothetical sequel is made another couple of years from now). That situation would automatically require them to re-establish their relationship as the people they have now evolved into, so the potential for romantic feelings would certainly be possible in that case.

I think either direction would work for the characters, and neither one would be off the table. And you know that if they were to make a sequel, the filmmakers would inevitably seriously consider both options, regardless of whatever happens in the KA3 comic.

01000110011011110111001000100000011001010111011001 10010101110010011110010010000001100001011101000110 11110110110100100000011000100110010101101100011011 11011011100110011101101001011011100110011100100000 01110100011011110010000001101101011001010010000001 10000101110011001000000110011101101111011011110110 01000010000001100010011001010110110001101111011011 10011001110111001100100000011101000110111100100000 01111001011011110111010100101110

Last edited by flickchick85; 08-20-2013 at 04:19 PM.
flickchick85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:19 PM   #90
K.Cruz
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickchick85 View Post
I think either direction would work for the characters, and neither one would be off the table. And you know that if they were to make a sequel, the filmmakers would inevitably seriously consider both options, regardless of whatever happens in the KA3 comic.
Exactly. What the other poster is saying is beyond absurd. He's saying that what Millar does in the comics is going to determine the fate of the characters in the movie. The movies themselves show that's not true. The studio is never going to allow Kick-ass or hit-girl to be killed off in their movies. Doesn't matter if Millar has it happen in his comics. The majority of the extreme stuff that happened in the Kick-ass 2 comic was removed from the film.

Last edited by K.Cruz; 08-20-2013 at 04:29 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:35 PM   #91
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

A dog's head getting cut off? Extreme. A rape scene? Extreme. Kids getting killed? Extreme. One of the characters dying is not an extreme. There's nothing overly violent about it. They kept to the key essence of the story. Things were removed due to NC-17 content, not because of the story.

I also explained why it was only natural for Hit Girl to kiss Dave and Dave not to react. "How can we have this story arc have a satisfying conclusion? We could have her kiss Dave, have her taking charge. Yeah, but Dave isn't really into her in that way. Well, then we can have Dave look repulsed by it. That way we show that Dave doesn't have feelings for her still and have Hit Girl progress. We kill two birds with one stone and we don't need to bring another guy into the picture taking up more time." This is what seems to have most likely happened, because this literally happens all the time - just you guys never read the drafts before it hits the screen. This is classic 'suit' thinking in work.

As said - all you're doing is basing it around hypotheticals.

Also, I don't need to provide proof, since I've said this for about over a year now and for more than half a year have been deliberate in naming who I'm connected to. Go ahead and ask anybody here.

Again, provide proof from the actual film other than your classic hypotheticals. I can say Kick Ass will toss Todd out as a friend after he finds out what happened and Todd will go back to Red Mist as a villain again and argue up and down based on hypotheticals that that will happen. Does that mean it will? Not really, no.

Last edited by Ultimatehero; 08-20-2013 at 04:42 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:47 PM   #92
K.Cruz
Side-Kick

Quote:
A dog's head getting cut off? Extreme. A rape scene? Extreme. Kids getting killed? Extreme. One of the characters dying is not an extreme. There's nothing overly violent about it. They kept to the key essence of the story. Things were removed due to NC-17 content, not because of the story.

I also explained why it was only natural for Hit Girl to kiss Dave and Dave not to react. "How can we have this story arc have a satisfying conclusion? We could have her kiss Dave, have her taking charge. Yeah, but Dave isn't really into her in that way. Well, then we can have Dave look repulsed by it. That way we show that Dave doesn't have feelings for her still and have Hit Girl progress. We kill two birds with one stone and we don't need to bring another guy into the picture taking up more time." This is what seems to have most likely happened, because this literally happens all the time - just you guys never read the drafts before it hits the screen.

As said - all you're doing is basing it around hypotheticals.

Also, I don't need to provide proof, since I've said this for about over a year now and for more than half a year have been deliberate in naming who I'm connected to.

Again, provide proof from the actual film other than your classic hypotheticals. I can say Kick Ass will toss Todd out as a friend after he finds out what happened and Todd will go back to Red Mist and argue up and down based on hypotheticals that that will happen. Does that mean it will? Not really, no.
If they weren't willing to let a dog that was just introduced in this movie die, they won't let hit-girl or Kick-ass die. I guarantee it. This is all assuming a third film gets made, which is getting more and more unlikely by the minute. The dog head thing was not removed for Nc-17 content. A similar scene was just featured on Game of Thrones and not that many people made a fuss about it. Plenty of rape scenes in R rated films, as well. Heck, they even took out Mindy getting arrested and added the whole crush on Dave business.

It's how Hollywood works. I thought you would know that since you claim to work in the industry. Millar himself said they changed things to make it more acceptable to a mainstream audience. The negative backlash if Hit-girl or Kick-ass were killed off would be very strong. It would hurt repeat viewings.

At no point does Dave look repulsed by the kiss. I've seen the movie twice now, and you are flat out making that up. He's surprised. That's all. No repulsion or disgust.

Your obnoxious posts are really something. The way you act like you're an expert and personally were shown earlier drafts. Note how most people disagree with you.

You were clearly watching a different movie from the rest of us.

There were many, many other ways to show that hit-girl had grown up other than having her get a crush in Dave. Even if it had just been the kiss out of nowhere, perhaps your argument would make sense. But no, they showed her coming to him with the whole "I have to see my Robin" stuff and then they showed her reaction to his body.

Yeah, sure. You don't have to prove anything. Gotta love the internet. Where anyone can pretend to be anyone. LOL.

They could have had Hit-girl's arc stay the same as it is in the comics. They didn't. They made a point to change it.

By the way, you're doing exactly what you're accusing others of. You're going on hypotheticals. Hypothetically, the dave/mindy stuff meant nothing. Hypothetically, the writers thought they were killing two birds with one stone. Hypothetically, Millar will absolutely have Hit-girl die or come up with some other depressing ending. Hypothetically, the movie will have those characters die just because that's what happens in the comics.

Welcome to my ignore list.

Last edited by K.Cruz; 08-20-2013 at 04:56 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:01 PM   #93
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

They didn't let the dog die because people have an aversion to seeing animals get killed. They don't have an aversion to seeing characters get killed - if they did, Rachel Dawes wouldn't have get killed. The rape got removed because Chris was completely against doing a rape scene. By your logic Rachel Dawes wouldn't have ever died and Gwen Stacy will never die in the new Spider-Man films and Harry would have lived in the old ones. The whole crush on Dave was to save time rather than introducing another character - this is classic suit thinking 101.

Exactly - more acceptable to a mainstream audience, mainstream audience don't want to see kids get killed, a dog's head over a man's body, and a sadistic rape scene. And haven't you ever heard of what controversy or a character's last hurrah does? "Oh my god dude, Hit Girl dies!" "What?!!! I've got to see this now!" Welcome to the business. There's a reason why they market - "someone's gonna die" * insert music here.

To me he clearly looked like a straight dude being kissed by his gay friend (and this isn't an LGBT knock, since I'm bi) but that's how it came off.

Actually dude, your posts are obnoxious and everyone can see that light as day. The only reason I brought up that I'm actually working in the industry while you're just a random nobody with a keyboard is because of the number of times you put "screenwriting and subtext." I figured you needed a knock down. And that clearly got to you. And it's still clearly getting to you, which I find rather sad. As said, many people on here know and some love me for it while others down-right hate me for it. And actually the smart people on here rather than acting obnoxious are coming to me because I've promised to use where I am to help them. I don't want to have anything to do with obnoxious people though. Good day.

Precisely, they showed Hit Girl liking him - they didn't show Dave having the hots for her. Anything can theoretically happen. The way everything is lined up now - it doesn't point to it being a likely scenario. It's something new they would need to establish in Dave. Could it be squeezed in? Anything can, literally. You could even have Todd as a villain in the third film. That doesn't mean they will.

Last edited by Ultimatehero; 08-20-2013 at 05:09 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:41 PM   #94
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:

Well read through mine. Now that I've seen the movie a second time, you pick up them laying seeds where Dave keeps saying "It's not like you'd ever date anyone!" and Mindy being jealous of "Night-Whore" and "You don't know a thing about me, Dave."

It's basic rom-com writing. She's interested, he's oblivious. The only reason they didn't get further than the "revelation" scene is because a) they want a sequel and b) it is still gross. If they get a third film, that is the direction this writing is going.

--John Adams
Old 08-20-2013, 05:49 PM   #95
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

I never said Mindy doesn't like Dave, Mindy clearly does like Dave. What I said was there was no hints of Dave liking Mindy in a non-familial manner. And you still could have easily had him blush. As said there is a difference between "what was that?" and "where did that come from?" One is like a straight dude getting kissed by his gay friend, the other is like a guy who didn't think of a certain girl in that manner but might in time. It's a very subtle difference in presentation, but they each offer something different.

As said, literally anything can happen - you could even have one of his friends become a villain - but acting like it's definitively going to happen just because Hit Girl likes Dave and they want a hollywood happy ending? Is stretching it. Note: I'm not saying this is where you're coming from, I don't believe it is. Because what every single person can agree to is - if they have 'something,' they're going to need to have the third movie be about Dave going from a point of "huh you're my sister?" to "cool!" and it will need to be a thorough arc. It's not anything on the table right now. It's speculation.

Last edited by Ultimatehero; 08-20-2013 at 05:52 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:07 PM   #96
K.Cruz
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
Well read through mine. Now that I've seen the movie a second time, you pick up them laying seeds where Dave keeps saying "It's not like you'd ever date anyone!" and Mindy being jealous of "Night-Whore" and "You don't know a thing about me, Dave."

It's basic rom-com writing. She's interested, he's oblivious. The only reason they didn't get further than the "revelation" scene is because a) they want a sequel and b) it is still gross. If they get a third film, that is the direction this writing is going.
Precisely. The other poster just hates the idea of them being together so much that he's ignoring everything the movie shows us, as well as subtext. Reminds me of the folks who still deny the 11/Clara stuff in Doctor Who, and the people who were panicking when they heard that Bruce and Selina end up together at the end of TDKR.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:39 PM   #97
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Making Big Daddy die as a loser, a liar, and a child abuser was taken out.

Letting Hit-Girl get arrested was taken out.

Having Katie have Dave get his ass beat instead of dating him was cut out.

The movies have no qualm cutting out the very depressing, downbeat stuff. I sense with almost certainty that Millar will kill one of his two main characters off (or both) in his comic. With the same amount of certainty, I'm sure neither would die in a KA film. But we'll likely never know on the latter.

Quote:
I never said Mindy doesn't like Dave, Mindy clearly does like Dave. What I said was there was no hints of Dave liking Mindy in a non-familial manner. And you still could have easily had him blush. As said there is a difference between "what was that?" and "where did that come from?" One is like a straight dude getting kissed by his gay friend, the other is like a guy who didn't think of a certain girl in that manner but might in time. It's a very subtle difference in presentation, but they each offer something different.

As said, literally anything can happen - you could even have one of his friends become a villain - but acting like it's definitively going to happen just because Hit Girl likes Dave and they want a hollywood happy ending? Is stretching it. Note: I'm not saying this is where you're coming from, I don't believe it is. Because what every single person can agree to is - if they have 'something,' they're going to need to have the third movie be about Dave going from a point of "huh you're my sister?" to "cool!" and it will need to be a thorough arc. It's not anything on the table right now. It's speculation.
In real life, you're right nothing would likely happen. But these movies are just as much about embracing the conventions as subverting them. For the same reason Dave gets a jetpack, kills Frank D'Amico and Hit-Girl rides off into the sun(rise) and kisses Dave, they will go for the more happy and genre/Hollywood/comic book/fairy tale ending. They may do it with a wink, a nudge, a smirk, but that is always teh way it happens in this series.

I think there are enough clues set up in the second one that fits the romcom rule of "She's into him, he doesn't even notice" that it could play out that way. I am not really rooting for it. It just feels like the way it is written.

But alas, we shall never know. At least, I doubt that we will in the future.

--John Adams
Old 08-21-2013, 03:46 AM   #98
BooJay
Side-Kick

Just saw the movie, thought it was pretty awesome, as good as the first.

I'm shocked that there isn't more discussion about Iain Glen (Uncle Ralph) and how closely he resembles Jack Nicholson during the prison visit scene. His smile alone evoked so many memories of the Joker. I really do hope he gets consideration to play that role someday. It's funny, because he bares a striking resemblance to Bryan Cranston as well, who would make a phenomenal Lex Luthor.

BooJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:50 AM   #99
O'Haire
Awesome

Lots of laughs out of me. But the biggest ones were always from that damn picture of Nic Cage in Mindy's training room. That look on his face just cracked me up so much.

Pretty sure it's a photo from the first one and I wish I could find it.

Last edited by O'Haire; 08-21-2013 at 03:57 AM.
O'Haire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:22 AM   #100
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

I thought it was a decent movie. Good sequel. Brought back some (but not quite all) of the charm of the first. 8/10