The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

View Poll Results: How would you rate Christian Bale's performance as Batman?
The Physicality of Batman was not there at all 5 6.94%
He was extremely badass 28 38.89%
He was not badass or physically threatening at all 3 4.17%
A great physical portrayal of Batman 23 31.94%
The voice was ridiculous 24 33.33%
The voice was perfect 9 12.50%
Perfect embodiment of the Batman from the comics 6 8.33%
Not like the comics at all 13 18.06%
A profound, complex and deeply moving performance 33 45.83%
Was very emo, whiny and depressed 3 4.17%
The New Batman should try to match his performance 4 5.56%
The New Batman should be nothing like him 22 30.56%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-20-2013, 10:02 PM   #51
kvz5
HBIC

Default Re: How would you rate Christian Bale's performance as Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerspider View Post
Bale was perfect. The few problems with Nolan's and Bale's interpretation of the character were not from the performer, but from the director and writers. Bale can't help that Nolan didn't have more detective stuff in the films and Bale's voice in Begins was great and Nolan really ****ed it up in Post-Production in TDK and TDKR.

Regarding Bale being average in TDK: In comedy routines, the straight man gets the most money because its much harder to be the straight man and set up the jokes and be the anchor of the scenes. Bale was Ledger's straight man in TDK. He set it all up for Ledger. Bale's performance was the anchor in the film that allowed Ledger to play so perfectly against his Batman.

I agree that the poll's choices are bizarre.
Great assessment and I agree with all of it.

kvz5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:09 PM   #52
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerspider View Post
Bale was perfect. The few problems with Nolan's and Bale's interpretation of the character were not from the performer, but from the director and writers. Bale can't help that Nolan didn't have more detective stuff in the films and Bale's voice in Begins was great and Nolan really ****ed it up in Post-Production in TDK and TDKR.

Regarding Bale being average in TDK: In comedy routines, the straight man gets the most money because its much harder to be the straight man and set up the jokes and be the anchor of the scenes. Bale was Ledger's straight man in TDK. He set it all up for Ledger. Bale's performance was the anchor in the film that allowed Ledger to play so perfectly against his Batman.

I agree that the poll's choices are bizarre.
I think the Begins voice was adequate. It was relaxed, but throaty, and had an assertive quality to it. There was more postproduction on the sequels, though I think Bale was overracting a tad to avoid getting upstaged (I blame the director for not telling him to pull it back a little)

I think most of what's lacking isn't in his performance, but how the character was written. I think since fans are clear about the criticisms of Nolan's Batman, they can make him MORE of a detective and fantastical fighter.

If Bale goes back and gets to play a more accurate depiction, it can improve Batman's arc and show how he's developed both as a person AND an overall crime-fighter.

But for now, I think rebooting's the best way to go.

TheFlamingCoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:13 AM   #53
howl
thrash beyond death

Even though Keaton is MY Batman, Bale did a damn good job. I approve.

DAMN YOU, SNYDER
howl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:10 AM   #54
titansupes
Side-Kick

I will never understand the 'not enough detective work' complaint, not for the first two. Really think about the first two movies... There was plenty of it.

titansupes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:44 AM   #55
shauner111
Side-Kick

All 3 had enough detective work for my tastes. There could be more, and probably will in the reboot and im cool with that. Especially if they have Riddler as a villain.

shauner111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:46 AM   #56
The Guard
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by titansupes View Post
I will never understand the 'not enough detective work' complaint, not for the first two. Really think about the first two movies... There was plenty of it.
I don't think people wanted to see real detective work. They wanted to see the Sherlock Holmes-style of deductive reasoning that Batman is famous for.

There was detective work in the franchise...it just wasn't all that interesting, and didn't make Batman himself look all that intelligent. He relied on technology a lot.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:54 AM   #57
shauner111
Side-Kick

I think Nolan left that stuff out on purpose. He was trying to tell a human story and when you have him act like a machine who just knows everything about EVERYTHING...it makes him less relatable like a Sherlock Holmes in a Bat-suit.

We all love that side to Bats, but they can use it for the reboot. It was a huge part of the animated series and im hoping they use it this time around too. But for me, the more relatable Bruce Wayne is the better. So I enjoyed Nolan's Batman for what it was. He was a smart/intelligent man but he was no genius....and that's OK.

This time I wouldn't mind the likes of Superman or the Riddler (in both crossovers and solo films) going up against an absolute genius Batman.

shauner111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:55 AM   #58
Tobias
Side-Kick

I think Bale was an incredible choice for Batman. Kind of like the definitive Batman in a way Reeve is the definitive Superman. I feel sorry a bit for the actor who takes over the franchise now as he will be held to maybe an impossible standard as actors who followed Reeve were.

Tobias is offline   Reply With Quote