Iron Man 3 27 21.77%
Man Of Steel 49 39.52%
The Wolverine 43 34.68%
Kick-Ass 2 5 4.03%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-21-2013, 11:47 PM   #26
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Default Re: Best Comic Book movie of the summer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by batfreakforever View Post
Really, why when destruction in a film is portrayed Americans always have to bring up 9/11??? What you can't just watch a movie.
Because when a filmmaker deliberately puts images of planes falling into buildings and glass skyscrapers collapsing, it's intentional. Snyder WANTS you to think about 9/11. My guess is that he thought it was edgy and profound, similar to how Nolan got good notices and was well received for bringing up 9/11 imagery and War on Terror paranoia in The Dark Knight. Except when Snyder did it, it was grotesque and just numbingly stupid and awful.

And I liked that movie overall.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:42 AM   #27
Heretic
Side-Kick

Did not like Iron Man 3
Hated Man of Steel
Have not seen R.I.P.D., 2 Guns, The Wolverine, Red 2, Smurfs 2, or Kick-Ass 2

Heretic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:20 AM   #28
smallville fan
Hero

Quote:
Really, why when destruction in a film is portrayed Americans always have to bring up 9/11??? What you can't just watch a movie.
Quote:
Just because a city gets destroyed makes it 9/11 imagery. No it does not.
Yes you are right. In Superman comics Metropolis gets f***ed on that level every other day and has so long before 9/11. I honestly wonder why people still live there and in other fictional cities where superhero battles happen every other day like Gotham etc. When an alien invasion comes to Earth and decide to shape it to their needs, how could it not be a 9/11 event realistically speaking? Yes people would die and buildings get destroyed and most importantly it shows Superman can't be everywhere at once which I'm glad for.

People always complain how Superman is so boring blah blah blah and he can do everything like save everybody. Now those same people are probably complaining why Superman isn't like that. It's literally one guy vs an elite alien army with the same OP abilities and advanced alien weapons & technology, how could he not walk away entirely victorious? Besides, Avengers wasn't any better with those bigger than jumbo jet space whales smashing through buildings in New York City where the said 9/11 attack happened.

smallville fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:35 AM   #29
Loki882
Side-Kick

Especially since 99% of the damage was done by Zod's gravity beam while Superman was on the other side of the planet destroying the World Engine. Also, 99% of the damage during the actual brawl was caused by Zod as well. The damage to Metropolis is also being highly exaggerated. A few city blocks were destroyed, 98% of the city was undamaged. My list would be (though all of the movies were good):
1. MOS
2. The Wolverine
3. Kick Ass 2
4. Iron Man 3

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:59 AM   #30
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

The problem with Man of Steel is that the destruction is a complete afterthought. In Avengers, where the damage wasn't nearly as bad, there are little touches like the memorial wall at the end and the montage of New Yorker's dealing with the aftermath to give a glimpse of the damage the attack had caused. Even in something like Independence Day where whole cities are destroyed, it is treated as this monumental tragedy. The Wolverine also had a city get destroyed (Nagasaki) and it is treated with respect. Man of Steel doesn't do this. A good portion of Metropolis is levelled and they act like it means nothing. People go on their business at the end like nothing ever happened, while we moviegoers are wondering about the likely hundreds of thousands of people that just got massacred. Superman making out with Lois over their corpses in particular was in extremely poor taste.

Kahran Ramsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:31 PM   #31
Heretic
Side-Kick

But Kahran...this is a NEW, edgy Superman! People were bored with this overly moral boy scout Superman with the perfect parental upbringing. We like our Superman to be more like every other superhero, because being the best is boring.

Old 08-22-2013, 01:57 PM   #32
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
But Kahran...this is a NEW, edgy Superman! People were bored with this overly moral boy scout Superman with the perfect parental upbringing. We like our Superman to be more like every other superhero, because being the best is boring.

Old 08-22-2013, 02:21 PM   #33
smallville fan
Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahran Ramsus View Post
The problem with Man of Steel is that the destruction is a complete afterthought. In Avengers, where the damage wasn't nearly as bad, there are little touches like the memorial wall at the end and the montage of New Yorker's dealing with the aftermath to give a glimpse of the damage the attack had caused. Even in something like Independence Day where whole cities are destroyed, it is treated as this monumental tragedy. The Wolverine also had a city get destroyed (Nagasaki) and it is treated with respect. Man of Steel doesn't do this. A good portion of Metropolis is levelled and they act like it means nothing. People go on their business at the end like nothing ever happened, while we moviegoers are wondering about the likely hundreds of thousands of people that just got massacred. Superman making out with Lois over their corpses in particular was in extremely poor taste.
That's what sequels are for, following up events.

smallville fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:09 PM   #34
Upset Spideyfan
Look on the bright side

The Wolverine had a weak third act but was the only superhero flick I came out of this year not grumbling about it.

Really found IM3 and MoS disappointing.

: Why?
The Doctor
: Because the front crashes first. Think it through.
Upset Spideyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:10 PM   #35
Heretic
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallville fan View Post
That's what sequels are for, following up events.
Exactly! The depressed, remorseful, angst-filled Superman that we've all been craving!

Old 08-22-2013, 05:13 PM   #36
Arrowhead
Webhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
Strangely, while Kick-Ass 2 is the most poor in terms of craftsmanship, direction, arguably writing (IM3 and The Wolverine's scripts were fairly weak too)...I did have the best time watching it.
I agree with this. Maybe not the best, but the most enjoyable and my favorite out of the bunch.

Kick-Ass 2 7.5/10
The Wolverine 7/10
Man of Steel 6.5/10
Iron Man 3 6/10

1. The Spectacular Spider-Man (TV) 2. Arrow (TV) 3. Batman: TAS (TV) 4. The Dark Knight 5. Batman Begins 6. The Wolverine 7. Captain America: The Winter Soldier 8. The Avengers 9. Spider-Man 2 10. The Amazing Spider-Man 2
Arrowhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:12 PM   #37
Loki882
Side-Kick

Actually, the destruction on TA was just as made if not worse than in MOS. It was just spread out over a larger area of NYC (the damage to Metropolis was contained to one area, but that area was completely decimated), so it LOOKED like there was less damage in TA. Also, if anything, the destruction in TA was glossed over much more, since they spent to entire fight being whimsical and oblivious to the collateral damage.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:18 PM   #38
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Finally saw Kick-Ass 2 which I really enjoyed despite having some problems, all of the CBM movies this year seemed to have one fatal flaw which stopped them being great instead of good or really good, it has been a strange year, but anyway, here is my rating:

1) Man Of Steel -9/10- It had some problems, but it was great to see a new iteration of Superman on the big screen and most of it worked for me. The action was great but I would have preferred Superman addressing the losses in Metropolis, though that have said they will address it in the sequel.
2) The Wolverine-8/10-I always had faith this would be good as Mangold is a good director, i was just worried about the Fox factor, despite them putting out better movies over the last few years. The movie was great, but was brought down by a really bad last act that was totally unsatisfying, it didnt wreck the whole movie, but it brings it down a few notches.
3) Iron Man 3-8/10- A strange movie, both times I watched it I enjoyed it, but then afterwards when I would think about it I would find I didnt like a lot of the movie, I think out of all of them this will have the worst re-watch value.
4) Kick-Ass 2-7.5/10-Now, my rating for this may go up when I see it again, which I will be at the cinema, this was really surprising, I was expecting something bad but got a great follow up that doesnt match the 1st movie but progresses the story really well.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)WOWS-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16)The Equalizer-7(17)Million Ways To Die In The West-7(18)47 Ronin-6(19)Monuments Men-5(20)Ride Along-5(21)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 01:08 AM   #39
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upset Spideyfan View Post
The Wolverine had a weak third act but was the only superhero flick I came out of this year not grumbling about it.

Really found IM3 and MoS disappointing.
Same here. That Viper lady didn't work like at all, but all in all a good movie.

MOS could have been better and IM3 went from okay to terrible.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:25 AM   #40
Moridin
Death Contagious Deity

Iron Man 3

The Wolverine

Man of Steel

Haven't seen KA2.

Defend night-flight sites...
Trap clamped, snared for pyres...

Witchtripper...
Witchtripper...
Moridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 01:40 PM   #41
OcStat
Side-Kick

Iron Man was easily the best of the bunch.

I enjoyed Wolverine and Man of Steel, but would give the edge to Wolverine.

Haven't seen Kick-Ass 2 or the rest yet. I liked the first movie but don't feel compelled to run out and see 2. The biggest draw in it for me is Jim Carrey.

OcStat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:08 PM   #42
henzINNIT
Side-Kick

Iron Man 3 was the best in my opinion. Just an all-round fun film, with a lot of heart and spectacle. I'd need to see it again to verify, but it might be my favourite Iron Man film as well (as the first had a weak third act).

Not too far behind I'd say The Wolverine. Pacing is a little off, and it loses its mind toward the end, but not enough to harm the overall film too much. I saw this 4 times in the cinema, it's a great little character study and Jackman gives his best performance in the role so far. Looking forward to the extended cut. That might even push this up to the top of the list.

Third, Kick Ass 2. I genuinely don't understand the pounding it took from critics. Despite the director change, this felt very consistent with what came before and added a lot to the universe. It's an uglier story, but that is exactly what it needed to be when it added the super-villains to this "real world" comic book fantasy. A lot of fun moments and horrifying ones, just like the first film. It's not as refined as Vaughn's take but there's a lot to like here.

Lastly is Man Of Steel. Ugh. Overblown and tedious, the film felt like someone very stupid was trying to make a Nolan film (and I wonder why). Caville was great but he couldn't save it.

henzINNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:58 AM   #43
kedrell
I see what you did there

Iron Man 3, though Thor 2 has an excellent shot at being the best of the year since IM3 was the weakest of the franchise. MoS and KA2 were barely passable and Wolverine just fell short of even that(though it's still miles better than it's predecessor). All in all a pretty disappointing summer. Hopefully fall will be better.

Didn't even bother watching RIPD or Red2.

Last edited by kedrell; 08-24-2013 at 10:02 AM.
kedrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:45 AM   #44
ElMariachi
Bald to the Bone

IM3, without a doubt. If you take out the petty Mandarin fanboy comments, its in a different dimension in regards to quality than the rest. The movie had flaws but nothing as glaring as MoS or some of the other films this summer. At least the Mandarin twist was bold and sort of controversial. The movie was funny and that alone puts it above the rest.

Prof. X sittin' on Adamantium wheelchair rims, reading your stupid minds & laughing at your hair.
ElMariachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:10 AM   #45
ElMariachi
Bald to the Bone

Fanboy history will be far more kind to IM3. The same as how fanboy history has become more kind to Temple of Doom and Last Crusade. Iron Man's trilogy is most comparable to the Indiana Jones original trilogy. Great first movies and two sequels that didn't quite live up to the original. I don't think that matters to most people. The uniqueness of these respective franchises and iconic acting by Ford/RDJ will always draw interest.

Prof. X sittin' on Adamantium wheelchair rims, reading your stupid minds & laughing at your hair.
ElMariachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:18 AM   #46
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElMariachi View Post
IM3, without a doubt. If you take out the petty Mandarin fanboy comments, its in a different dimension in regards to quality than the rest. The movie had flaws but nothing as glaring as MoS or some of the other films this summer. At least the Mandarin twist was bold and sort of controversial. The movie was funny and that alone puts it above the rest.
KA 2 was a lot funnier than IM3 for me, KA2's jokes will hold up better on repeat viewings as well. That said, IM3 was a better movie.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)WOWS-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16)The Equalizer-7(17)Million Ways To Die In The West-7(18)47 Ronin-6(19)Monuments Men-5(20)Ride Along-5(21)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 04:17 PM   #47
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Quote:
Justified would be a more accurate word

Quote:
Fanboy history will be far more kind to IM3. The same as how fanboy history has become more kind to Temple of Doom and Last Crusade. Iron Man's trilogy is most comparable to the Indiana Jones original trilogy. Great first movies and two sequels that didn't quite live up to the original. I don't think that matters to most people. The uniqueness of these respective franchises and iconic acting by Ford/RDJ will always draw interest.
Indiana Jones trilogy = one great and two good.

Iron Man trilogy = one great and two poor.

Not even comparable

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)
CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:53 PM   #48
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

I would take even the worst of the Indy Trilogy (Temple of Doom) over the best Iron Man film. I loved all three of them.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:00 PM   #49
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

MOS 9/10
IM3 8.5/10
TW 8/10

Didn't watch Kick Ass 2.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:27 PM   #50
Harley2004
Side-Kick

Tough Call, I would give all 4 about 7.5 out of 10. All, imo were solid, but none were great. If I had to pick one, The Wolverine. The last act of that movie it let it down from being better than first Class.

Harley2004 is offline   Reply With Quote