The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men Sequels & Spin-Offs

Old 08-20-2013, 04:07 AM   #76
Green Goblin
Not the Hobgoblin!

Default Re: FOX Shared Universe

Will the F4 film get made? The lack of news makes it feel like Daredevil.

Old 08-20-2013, 04:21 AM   #77
smallville fan
Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlueWonder View Post
sometime 2015?

smallville fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:32 AM   #78
Green Goblin
Not the Hobgoblin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallville fan View Post
sometime 2015?
This whole situation is like DD and look how that turned out.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:45 AM   #79
def28
Side-Kick

Millar tweeted this a bit ago in regards to the F4 and X-Men crossing over intro eachother films. ...

Quote:
Mark Millar ‏@mrmarkmillar 22h
I keep seeing 'news' that X-Men & FF movies are crossing over. No, they're not. They exist in same universe but movies stand alone.
Quote:
Mark Millar ‏@mrmarkmillar 3h
Note to web journos: FF & X-Men are NOT crossing over. Existing in shared universe does NOT mean a crossover movie, excitable ones...
Good.

That's that.

Last edited by def28; 08-20-2013 at 09:10 AM.
def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:22 AM   #80
Angamb
Banned User

some people should read full articles and not just the tittles, lol

he confirmed shared universe, with likely cameos. And thats what most sites are saying. Just that some tittles could confusse some readers, but thats what the full articles are for.

Angamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:40 AM   #81
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
some people should read full articles and not just the tittles, lol

he confirmed shared universe, with likely cameos. And thats what most sites are saying. Just that some tittles could confusse some readers, but thats what the full articles are for.
Yeah, it's what he's been saying since last year but there's alot of people who still think that it means crossover film regardless, so a good thing he shut it down. Alot of sites are now posting those tweets with the article.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:04 PM   #82
psylockolussus
X-Men OT Cast Fanboy

Quote:
Of course it will!

Hugh Jackman - Halle Berry - Ian McKellen - Patrick Stewart
Anna Paquin - Shawn Ashmore - Daniel Cudmore - Ellen Page
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:38 PM   #83
Green Goblin
Not the Hobgoblin!

I wonder what cameos they could do?

Old 08-22-2013, 09:19 PM   #84
psylockolussus
X-Men OT Cast Fanboy

Human Torch flying across the sky?

Old 08-23-2013, 10:07 PM   #85
Loki882
Side-Kick

Yes, because filmmakers and executives never lie about movies in order to mask their true intentions, that would be unheard of. Its not like actors and directors have lied through their teeth about multiple genre movies in recent years.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:19 PM   #86
Angamb
Banned User

Im lost

what was the conversation about?

Old 08-24-2013, 02:54 PM   #87
henzINNIT
Side-Kick

Quote:
I hope it doesn't tbh. FF should be in the Marvel universe.

henzINNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:16 PM   #88
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by henzINNIT View Post
I hope it doesn't tbh. FF should be in the Marvel universe.
I suspect they will go ahead with it rather than hand it back to Marvel.

At the very least, they should get Singer to look over the screenplay and make sure they have a great concept and are going in a solid direction.

Chat to me on Twitter @ TheGeekFiles
X-Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:10 PM   #89
Green Goblin
Not the Hobgoblin!

I don't see how the FMCU could compete with the MCU or DCCU?

Old 08-24-2013, 07:13 PM   #90
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
I don't see why it's a question of 'competing.'

Fox owns the rights and, as a business, wants to make use of them.

There's also Sony and Warner making superhero movies, not just Fox and Marvel.

Marvel's plan has worked out well, so far anyway, but that doesn't mean all other studios should stop work on their own comic book adaptations.

Old 08-24-2013, 07:27 PM   #91
Green Goblin
Not the Hobgoblin!

Sony gave up on the idea of a Cinematic Universe, after the money TA made Avi Arad and the studio have taken a shine to a potential crossover.

Old 08-24-2013, 07:28 PM   #92
Green Goblin
Not the Hobgoblin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post

Marvel's plan has worked out well, so far anyway, but that doesn't mean all other studios should stop work on their own comic book adaptations.
It will be compared to it. FOX can't compete with Marvel or DC. How many crossovers can they do?

Old 08-24-2013, 07:35 PM   #93
Angamb
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post

+1

These movies at the end of the day, are for us to enjoy them. Wheter studios want to "compete" or not.

Movies are for fun, so the more movies/universes/crossovers, the better.

Old 08-24-2013, 07:39 PM   #94
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
It will be compared to it. FOX can't compete with Marvel or DC. How many crossovers can they do?
No idea. They obviously hope to expand their cinematic universe. Let's see what they come up with.

I'm not entirely convinced that a new F4 will be a big success anyway. But they obviously want to proceed with it.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:17 PM   #95
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Quote:
Besides Bats and Supes, DC aint looking so good man. Regardless they don't need to compete, they need to make use of what they own. Because money is to be made as well as new franchises. The more well known these characters get with good movies, the better the future will hold for Fox's properties. Are you trying to say Fox shouldn't make movies that already have a pre existing fan base? Cause they own alot. They can make:

Fantastic Four
Silver Silver
Wolverine
Deadpool
Gambit
New Mutants
X-Force
First Class
X-Men

That's 9 potential flicks and sequels that Fox can make money off of, all being relatively well known comic properties must studios would kill for. F4 and SS can meld into each other and lead into a huge sequel with Galactus. And X-Men are one of Fox's top grossers that have a world as large as the MCU. They may not build to a team movie like the MCU does, but they can have big crossovers like DOFP and AOA. They know by watching The MCU take off that an expanded universe works and doesn't go over an audiences head. So why the hell not make use of their characters? Siting on them will no good.

Last edited by def28; 08-24-2013 at 08:32 PM.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:39 PM   #96
Loki882
Side-Kick

Add Excalibur, Generation X, and maybe a Future Foundation spinoff down the road starring Franklin and Valeria (and Uncle Doom).

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:59 PM   #97
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
Besides Bats and Supes, DC aint looking so good man. Regardless they don't need to compete, they need to make use of what they own. Because money is to be made as well as new franchises. The more well known these characters get with good movies, the better the future will hold for Fox's properties. Are you trying to say Fox shouldn't make movies that already have a pre existing fan base? Cause they own alot. They can make:

Fantastic Four
Silver Silver
Wolverine
Deadpool
Gambit
New Mutants
X-Force
First Class
X-Men

That's 9 potential flicks and sequels that Fox can make money off of, all being relatively well known comic properties must studios would kill for. F4 and SS can meld into each other and lead into a huge sequel with Galactus. And X-Men are one of Fox's top grossers that have a world as large as the MCU. They may not build to a team movie like the MCU does, but they can have big crossovers like DOFP and AOA. They know by watching The MCU take off that an expanded universe works and doesn't go over an audiences head. So why the hell not make use of their characters? Siting on them will no good.
A FOX/Marvel Universe cannot compete with the MCU in terms of film variety or box office grosses, but they could put together a string of successful X movies spinning off of DOFP. The studio should extract as much in terms on concessions from Disney/Marvel as they can for the FF rights. I can't see FOX putting together a successful reboot of that film, the Surfer isn't viable as a stand alone, and the fact that Millar takes it back whenever he mentions a FF/X-Men crossover leads me to think that it isn't possible under the existing contracts. FOX should then focus on a few key properties that appeal to a variety of audiences and develop a star attraction that's not Hugh Jackman's Wolverine. I could see the following working going forward:

New Mutants - Younger skewing teen cast (PG ?) with Jackman, Grammer or Berry as headmaster. Set in present day.

X-Men - Continuation of 70s timeline from DOFP.

X-Force - Hard PG-13 or R set in present day. Reintroduce Deadpool and try to develop the character as a potential headliner.

Excalibur - Fantasy Adventure in present day starring Ellen Page's Kitty Pride (and Lockheed!)

Put out an X film annually, with Excalibur taking over after the First Class cast's third film. Try to develop another solo star. Rinse and repeat.

Zarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:07 PM   #98
psylockolussus
X-Men OT Cast Fanboy

Quote:
Besides Bats and Supes, DC aint looking so good man.
With the director/writer they have for their next superhero film, things aren't really looking so good.

Quote:
Regardless they don't need to compete, they need to make use of what they own. Because money is to be made as well as new franchises. The more well known these characters get with good movies, the better the future will hold for Fox's properties. Are you trying to say Fox shouldn't make movies that already have a pre existing fan base? Cause they own alot. They can make:

Fantastic Four
Silver Silver
Wolverine
Deadpool
Gambit
New Mutants
X-Force
First Class
X-Men

IMO, with the things you listed, X-Men/Fantastic Four/Wolverine are the only ones that have the chance of success. The other ones will be seen a spin-off and spin-off usually sell lesser than the main series. If those "spin-offs" don't do well it might hurt the entire franchise.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:39 PM   #99
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
Add Excalibur, Generation X, and maybe a Future Foundation spinoff down the road starring Franklin and Valeria (and Uncle Doom).
I could see X-Factor working as well. Exclalibur or Exiles would be cool. As long as these teams can stick out, the more the better imo. Gen X and New Mutants may be too similar, either could work but both may be overkill.

X-Force is def the best to test if the other team route will work with audiences imo. So I'm glad they are doing that first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarex View Post
A FOX/Marvel Universe cannot compete with the MCU in terms of film variety or box office grosses, but they could put together a string of successful X movies spinning off of DOFP. The studio should extract as much in terms on concessions from Disney/Marvel as they can for the FF rights. I can't see FOX putting together a successful reboot of that film, the Surfer isn't viable as a stand alone, and the fact that Millar takes it back whenever he mentions a FF/X-Men crossover leads me to think that it isn't possible under the existing contracts. FOX should then focus on a few key properties that appeal to a variety of audiences and develop a star attraction that's not Hugh Jackman's Wolverine. I could see the following working going forward:

New Mutants - Younger skewing teen cast (PG ?) with Jackman, Grammer or Berry as headmaster. Set in present day.

X-Men - Continuation of 70s timeline from DOFP.

X-Force - Hard PG-13 or R set in present day. Reintroduce Deadpool and try to develop the character as a potential headliner.

Excalibur - Fantasy Adventure in present day starring Ellen Page's Kitty Pride (and Lockheed!)

Put out an X film annually, with Excalibur taking over after the First Class cast's third film. Try to develop another solo star. Rinse and repeat.
I think a Surfer film is definitely being discussed. That films been lingering for awhile and he's one of the bigger characters they have, with Fox looking to expand I wouldn't be surprised if one is immediately announced if F4 is a success. If F4 fails then thats that. No reason for Fox to keep throwing money if they can't make it work.

I think their main focus should be X-Men. Like you mentioned, there are just a ton of stories and teams to focus on.

Last edited by def28; 08-24-2013 at 10:51 PM.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:51 PM   #100
psylockolussus
X-Men OT Cast Fanboy

IMO, they should focus making X-Men/Fantastic Four films and sequels to it, like in the past. They could include SilverSurfer/Galactus in a FF film and make it work. They could include New Mutants, X-Force, Gambit, Deadpool in a X-Men film and make it work. And for fan-serving or just to give more detail to the characters, they could do a twenty-minute film just featuring Gambit or Silver Surfer, and include it in the Blu-ray release of their latest film.

Business-wise, I don't think its necessary to venture into releasing films just featuring Deadpool or Silver Surfer or Gambit. Especially most spin-off films earn less at the box-office than the main series. Unless FOX is willing to spend $50 million per film and do all the promotions and all the process when it comes to releasing/making a film. Marvel Comics were able to release dozens of spin-off comic-books because releasing a comic-book isn't as expensive as making films. But look at their film department, they aren't even planning to release a 3rd movie for Hulk or a spin-off movie to the characters like Loki, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Nick Fury and War Machine.

And just because X-Men's universe is as big as DC/Marvel universe, it doesn't mean they should go ahead releasing a lot of films. The thing with releasing a X-Factor movie, a Deadpool movie, X-Force movie is they will be seen as another X-Men spin-off and I'm pretty sure, FOX will make it very clear to the GA, that these spin-offs are part of the entire X-Men film franchise, when the GA see the trailer and watch the movie and of course FOX would be hoping the brand X-Men will help these spin-offs to sell more but in reality, the spin-offs are just oversaturating the X-Men franchise.

With DC/Marvel, they have a lot of properties that can be seen as their own thing, that even if a green lantern movie is so bad, it wouldn't hurt the films of Superman/Batman. Watchmen/V for Vendetta are DC films but not a lot of people know that. Even if the 2nd Hulk film didn't earn much at the box-office, Iron Man 2/Thor/Captain America still did well. With X-Men, the performance of a X-Force film, a Deadpool film will probably be a factor to the success of future X-Men films.

Last edited by psylockolussus; 08-24-2013 at 11:21 PM.