The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Avengers: Age of Ultron

Old 08-23-2013, 08:40 PM   #1
Dasher10
Side-Kick

Default War Machine Better Be in This One

The part that bothered me about the original Avengers wasn't so much that War Machine was absent as much as it was that he's a key Avenger in the comics. What worries me is that somebody like Falcon or Rocket Raccoon might steal Rhodey's slot in the sequel.

Dasher10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:55 PM   #2
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Default Re: War Machine Better Be in This One

With the addition of the siblings, don't really think there is room, but we will see.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:37 PM   #3
Broseph44
We Are Groot

Oh boy here we go.

Broseph44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:38 PM   #4
TheFBI
Side-Kick

The only way i see Rhodes in ANY Avengers movie is if its a West Coast Avengers film Without Tony, OR if Tony quits being IM and becomes Director of Shield. Bottom line, don't bet on him being in anymore movies outside of a brief cameo

TheFBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:45 PM   #5
Chewy
REDACTED

I think describing War Machine as a "key Avenger" is a bit generous lol

Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:15 PM   #6
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

Why would they need him? The film is over-crowded, as it is. If there is some compulsion to have him, I would prefer they kept his role to the size of Pepper's in TA. No need to rob SW and QS of screentime....or expanding the film's length to 2.5 hours. Besides, he's already going to have a presence in CA: TWS

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
ďAt DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
jonathancrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:02 AM   #7
Dr. Evil
Gamora

I don't think we'll see Falcon or War Machine in this movie. If we do, it may just be as Sam Wilson and James Rhodes and it may be similar to Erik Selvig or Pepper Potts.

We might not see them in Avengers 3 either. By the time the Avengers 3 comes out, we'll have already seen (Besides Thor and Cap sequels):

- Guardians of the Galaxy
- Doctor Strange
- Ant Man
- Black Panther
- Luke Cage

And all of them (except for GOTG) will probably be in Avengers 3 depending upon the plot of Avengers 3 and these other films. Heck, there are already rumored choices for Dr. Strange and BP and those two (and Luke Cage) have not been officially announced yet.

My MCU Rankings: 1. The Avengers- 9/10, 2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 9/10, 3. Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10 , 4. Iron Man- 8.5/10, 5. Captain America: The First Avenger- 8/10, 6. Thor- 8/10, 7. Iron Man 2- 7.5/10, 8. Thor: The Dark World- 7/10, 9. Iron Man 3- 7/10, 10. The Incredible Hulk- 6/10

Last edited by Dr. Evil; 08-24-2013 at 12:12 AM.
Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:03 PM   #8
VictorShade
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post

Agreed.

LOL!

VictorShade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:59 PM   #9
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

The higher the scale goes, the more silly it will be that a guy with an armored suit who is presumably interested in the planet still being here tomorrow doesn't even get mentioned. He should join in the final fight or *something,* though a cameo would be just fine, imho.

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:04 PM   #10
Blitzkrieg Bop
The Dark Side

The movie Avengers only need one dude in a metal suit.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:10 PM   #11
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

If they bring him in for 3, that would be fine with me, as Thanos would be one of threats for them to pull in everybody, like in the Infinity Gauntlet Comic.

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
ďAt DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
jonathancrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:31 PM   #12
Dr. Evil
Gamora

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
The higher the scale goes, the more silly it will be that a guy with an armored suit who is presumably interested in the planet still being here tomorrow doesn't even get mentioned. He should join in the final fight or *something,* though a cameo would be just fine, imho.
I think we will see Falcon and War Machine in Age of Ultron as Sam Wilson and James Rhodes, but not in costume (or armor as in the case of Rhodes). An outside shot we see both in Avengers 3 in costume. Remember Wilson is also a Shield agent, so he's more likely than Rhodes to appear in Avengers 2.

Having both in Avengers 3 would increase the number of Black superheros to four: those two plus Luke Cage and Black Panther. Unfortunately, I don't think we'll see Monica Rambeau or Misty Knight in the final battle (although we might see Knight in a Luke Cage movie, so we could see Knight in Avengers 3, even in a small cameo).

My MCU Rankings: 1. The Avengers- 9/10, 2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 9/10, 3. Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10 , 4. Iron Man- 8.5/10, 5. Captain America: The First Avenger- 8/10, 6. Thor- 8/10, 7. Iron Man 2- 7.5/10, 8. Thor: The Dark World- 7/10, 9. Iron Man 3- 7/10, 10. The Incredible Hulk- 6/10

Last edited by Dr. Evil; 08-24-2013 at 11:44 PM.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:08 AM   #13
Wine-N-Cheese
Side-Kick

I wouldn't hold my breath on this one. Pepper Potts only got a cameo in the first movie at the request of RDJ.

Wine-N-Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:20 AM   #14
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wine-N-Cheese View Post
I wouldn't hold my breath on this one. Pepper Potts only got a cameo in the first movie at the request of RDJ.
Pepper Potts is only a support character in the Iron Man mythos, though. War Machine became more than that, and a bona fide superhero with an actual membership card in the Avengers (Westies, anyway). Rhodey makes canonical sense in an Avengers flick; Pepper Potts doesn't.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:38 PM   #15
Wine-N-Cheese
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Pepper Potts is only a support character in the Iron Man mythos, though. War Machine became more than that, and a bona fide superhero with an actual membership card in the Avengers (Westies, anyway). Rhodey makes canonical sense in an Avengers flick; Pepper Potts doesn't.
My point was, I think it's unlikely we'll see any supporting characters from the solo movies in A2, which is what the OP was asking for. Maybe somewhere down the line, though.

Wine-N-Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:22 PM   #16
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wine-N-Cheese View Post
My point was, I think it's unlikely we'll see any supporting characters from the solo movies in A2, which is what the OP was asking for. Maybe somewhere down the line, though.
That's just it, though: War Machine is more than a supporting character. He's a West Coast Avenger, and he even spun off his own solo series for a time. There's a tendency to dismiss Rhodey as just "the black Iron Man," but he's more than that. And there's nothing wrong with Avengers getting twice the battlesuit firepower, either. They could certainly use the help.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:43 PM   #17
Dr. Evil
Gamora

Quote:
That's just it, though: War Machine is more than a supporting character. He's a West Coast Avenger, and he even spun off his own solo series for a time. There's a tendency to dismiss Rhodey as just "the black Iron Man," but he's more than that. And there's nothing wrong with Avengers getting twice the battlesuit firepower, either. They could certainly use the help.
And the diversity.

Old 08-25-2013, 11:53 PM   #18
metaphysician
Side-Kick

I'd rather see Super Potts in A2 than Rhodey. */heresy*

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:08 AM   #19
Blake II
Banned User

It'll be kind of dumb if Rhodey is always on a mission in the Middle East everytime an Avengers mission comes up lol

Blake II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:04 PM   #20
STR1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake II View Post
It'll be kind of dumb if Rhodey is always on a mission in the Middle East everytime an Avengers mission comes up lol
This right here!

Atleast a cameo would be good.

STR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:44 PM   #21
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

He's a bit of a redundant character but he may take over in A4 after RDJs IM takes a recast break (IF RDJ decides not to come back)

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

R_Hythlodeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:25 PM   #22
ctsketch
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post

ditto

ctsketch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:03 PM   #23
ctsketch
Side-Kick

Quote:
he said supporting character from solo movies...and war machine in MCU is a supporting character. hell even in IM3 he barely did anything

ctsketch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:52 PM   #24
Iron_Stark
Age of Ultron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil View Post
And the diversity.
If they want diversity, they should bring in Latino and Asian supers to the team and movies. As it is, they are ridiculously underrepresented in the movies even in supporting roles.

The only ones I can think of are Hogun, the asian reporter in the Hulk movie and the Latino fruit vendor in Iron Man 2.

Quote:
He was barely a West Coast Avenger. I don't know why people associate him more with the WCA than Tony. Rhodey joined the team in the first 4 limited series issues, before Tony took over for the rest of the time until he remade them into Force Works.

As far as War Machine in A2, no he shouldn't be in it except as a cameo for Rhodey without the suit. Iron Man is more than enough and with Wanda and Pietro joining the team, it would become too crowded with WM.

_PART I____PART II
MAY 2018__MAY 2019
Iron_Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:22 PM   #25
Dasher10
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron_Stark View Post
If they want diversity, they should bring in Latino and Asian supers to the team and movies. As it is, they are ridiculously underrepresented in the movies even in supporting roles.

The only ones I can think of are Hogun, the asian reporter in the Hulk movie and the Latino fruit vendor in Iron Man 2.

That's because all the Asian and Latino heroes are X-Men. The fact remains that War Machine is an Avenger in the comics but wasn't in the first film. I'm not asking for a huge role for him but having him show up for the final battle would be nice and since he was cut out of the first film, he'd be a better fit than Falcon or Agent 13.

Dasher10 is online now   Reply With Quote