The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men Sequels & Spin-Offs

Old 08-24-2013, 11:28 PM   #101
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Default Re: FOX Shared Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarex View Post
New Mutants - Younger skewing teen cast (PG ?) with Jackman, Grammer or Berry as headmaster. Set in present day.
X-Men - Continuation of 70s timeline from DOFP.
X-Force - Hard PG-13 or R set in present day. Reintroduce Deadpool and try to develop the character as a potential headliner.
Excalibur - Fantasy Adventure in present day starring Ellen Page's Kitty Pride (and Lockheed!)

Put out an X film annually, with Excalibur taking over after the First Class cast's third film. Try to develop another solo star. Rinse and repeat.
I'm afraid that with using that model/plan, it will just oversaturate the series especially releasing a X-Men movie every year.

In my opinion, FOX should just release sequels to the main series especially we already got an eight-year break from them and we already got 3 spin-off films. No need to introduce a new set of cast/characters to the general audience for the 4th time/5th time/6th time.

"Don't ever do that again" - X3
"They'll find us they'll always do" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:21 AM   #102
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
I'm afraid that with using that model/plan, it will just oversaturate the series especially releasing a X-Men movie every year.

In my opinion, FOX should just release sequels to the main series especially we already got an eight-year break from them and we already got 3 spin-off films. No need to introduce a new set of cast/characters to the general audience for the 4th time/5th time/6th time.

Old 08-25-2013, 12:34 AM   #103
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Yeah what a classy and well thought response.

Old 08-25-2013, 12:48 AM   #104
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:

The problem is that the current model used by FOX isn't working anywhere near as well in terms of box office as it did early on. DOFP may goose FOX's X Series, but is not viable long term unless they give the audience something new. The MCU has a chance for decades of success due to Feige and company's willingness to green light films, such as GOTG and Ant Man. FOX can't keep drawing from the same well, and it appears as though Wadlow's X Force is an attempt to branch out from Magneto and the US government as the core protagonists.

Zarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:08 AM   #105
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
The problem is that the current model used by FOX isn't working anywhere near as well in terms of box office as it did early on. DOFP may goose FOX's X Series, but is not viable long term unless they give the audience something new.
The "current model" of FOX isn't working that great right now because the latest three films are all spin-offs to the original trilogy. Two are prequels and 1 was set after X3. X-Men were doing well when they were just releasing sequels to the 1st X-Men movie and you can look at the box-office records for evidence.

And releasing a direct sequel to DOFP (featuring the majority of the cast of DOFP) is what I believe the best move. I don't think the ga are really that desperate or clinging for really "something new". With just including new characters and going to new locations, FOX will already be giving the audience that "something new". They did that in X2/X3. Plus that something new doesn't have to be X-Force, New Mutants. Those things will be harder to sell. And FYI, FOX moved forward with releasing spin-offs over X-Men 4, to do 'something new' and that something new led to the franchise's box-office decline in the United States.

You are forgetting GA also wants familiarity. People will keep come back watching another X-Men movie IF they are already invested with the characters and if they want to see more of them. Plus with the 8-year break that we got from OT, the GA won't be tired seeing another film with them, like right away. Splitting the OT characters into their own franchises/series is not a good idea.

Last edited by psylockolussus; 08-25-2013 at 01:22 AM.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:12 AM   #106
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
The MCU has a chance for decades of success due to Feige and company's willingness to green light films, such as GOTG and Ant Man. FOX can't keep drawing from the same well, and it appears as though Wadlow's X Force is an attempt to branch out from Magneto and the US government as the core protagonists.
Sure but thats because they have an advantage that FOX doesn't have. They have so many properties that could stand on their own. An Ant-Man movie, a Dr. Strange movie, a Ms. Marvel movie will not be seen as another Iron Man film, another Thor film or another Avengers movie or another Avengers spin-off (unless those characters appeared in an Avengers film first). With films for X-Force, New Mutants, Gambit, people would easily see those as another spin-off to the X-Men series.

The only chance for FOX to have a same model with Marvel/DC is they have more properties that wouldn't be seen as another branch of Fantastic Four/X-Men.

And I always suggest for future X-Men films featuring the OT cast that they should introduce new villains like Mr. Sinister and Apocalypse and new members to the X-Men like Psylocke and Forge. You made it sound like as if its only possible in a spin-off movie. That the villains for X-Men films (feat. the OT cast) will be always be Magneto/the U.S. government officials.

Last edited by psylockolussus; 08-25-2013 at 01:20 AM.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:25 AM   #107
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

Quote:
Yeah what a classy and well thought response.
Says the one who does nothing but say the same thing over and over and over and over again about how Fox shouldn't do any other spin offs. WE GET IT. You don't want any more spin offs. Guess what? Others do. Saying it over and over again isn't going to make others agree with you. It only serves to make you look like delusional troll. As has been pointed out many times to you by many people, the OT cast can only last so long, and can make so much with them. Branching out will make the series last. Move on already.

Old 08-25-2013, 01:32 AM   #108
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specter313 View Post
Says the one who does nothing but say the same thing over and over and over and over again about how Fox shouldn't do any other spin offs. WE GET IT. You don't want any more spin offs. Guess what? Others do. Saying it over and over again isn't going to make others agree with you. It only serves to make you look like delusional troll. As has been pointed out many times to you by many people, the OT cast can only last so long, and can make so much with them. Branching out will make the series last. Move on already.
You are entitled to your own opinion. I don't care if I keep saying it again and again, if people are discussing the future of this franchise, I will always post my opinions about it. If you're tired of seeing the same thing again and again, then its not really my problem.

Old 08-25-2013, 01:36 AM   #109
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

Quote:
You are entitled to your own opinion. I don't care if I keep saying it again and again, if people are discussing the future of this franchise, I will always post my opinions about it. If you're tired of seeing the same thing again and again, then its not really my problem.
Then it's not my problem then if I keep calling you out on it again and again.

Old 08-25-2013, 01:39 AM   #110
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Then it's not my problem then if I keep calling you out on it again and again.

Talking about the future of the franchise again and again is different to attacking a member again and again.

Old 08-25-2013, 01:52 AM   #111
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

Quote:
Talking about the future of the franchise again and again is different to attacking a member again and again.
If you're going to put your opinions on a public board like this, then people are going to comment right back on them. Don't like it? Stop doing it. Others have said the same thing to you that I have, including a mod on here, and I'm certain plenty of others will do just the same when they get tired of seeing the same thing over and over again.

Last edited by Specter313; 08-25-2013 at 01:56 AM.
Specter313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:58 AM   #112
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
If you're going to put your opinions on a public board like this, then people are going to comment right back on them. Don't like it? Stop doing it. Others have said the same thing to you that I have, including a mod on here, and I'm certain plenty of others will do just the same when they get tired of seeing the same thing over and over again.
I can take people not agreeing with my opinions. But personal attacks like calling me a troll and just being rude to me... not at all. No one called me a troll except for you, especially when I was discussing these things about spin-offs/future X-Men movies. Thats why I already reported you for your behavior.

Old 08-25-2013, 02:07 AM   #113
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

It's called freedom of speech. I said it makes you look like a troll because what you are doing is bordering on spamming by repeatedly saying the same thing over and over again. If you want to put out something like that repeatedly like that, then I have as much a right to point out how extremely annoying it can be. And your sarcastic response was far from civil as well. Two way street here.

Old 08-25-2013, 02:10 AM   #114
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
It's called freedom of speech. I said it makes you look like a troll because what you are doing is bordering on spamming by repeatedly saying the same thing over and over again. If you want to put out something like that repeatedly like that, then I have as much a right to point out how extremely annoying it can be. And your sarcastic response was far from civil as well. Two way street here.
You know what if you don't like reading my posts, you can always add me in your ignore list. And it will also help you not to reply to my posts. I will also include you in my ignore list to avoid more arguments with you.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:51 AM   #115
Angamb
Banned User

honestly, psycko, Ive thought the same as specter. Your attitude on some topics make you look like a troll.

Many users love to discuss about all the possibilites of the future, talking about spin-offs, new characters and all, but you are the only user that keeps bringing those positive posts down over and over.

I already have you on my ignore list since many weeks ago, but its really hard to have a fun discussion on these boards, when I keep seeing your negative replies to other users, and obviously their replies to you.

Its like your attitude is all over the board, and that leave out the fun of the discussions. its really frustrating trying to have fun with you boycotting it.

You dont want spin-offs, fine, you have expressed it perfectly all these months, all of us already know your opinion, so its not needed to post it again each day. Now let us all have fun discussing it from now.

Angamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:51 AM   #116
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
IMO, with the things you listed, X-Men/Fantastic Four/Wolverine are the only ones that have the chance of success. The other ones will be seen a spin-off and spin-off usually sell lesser than the main series. If those "spin-offs" don't do well it might hurt the entire franchise.
We know...

Quote:
IMO, they should focus making X-Men/Fantastic Four films and sequels to it, like in the past.
You pretty much just posted that...

Quote:
Seriously?

Do you know what beating a dead horse means and why people keep posting that? I'm starting to think you don't.

You are extremely close to trolling. You posted the same thing three times after no one quoted you.

We know what you think from the countless debates in other threads, and the first time you posted here. Debating your point further is futile. It's coming across like your just trying to piss people off. There's a difference in stating your point and spamming it in every other forum to provoke a response. Ya need to drop it.

Last edited by def28; 08-25-2013 at 03:40 PM.
def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:02 AM   #117
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

It's pretty clear now that some people want the original cast back for good and others want fresh blood injected into the franchise with spin-offs like X Force, etc.

We'll have more certainty when DoFP is released. If that is an obvious fond farewell to the original trilogy cast, then we can close that door. DoFP might end with McKellen's Magneto having died, and god knows who else, and the time-travel corrections might not be shown as fixing all that.

Until we see how DoFP plays out - and how it is received by critics and the audience - we won't know for certain. The studio/producers may have some ideas for the future but they will have to wait to react to the box office of DoFP.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:55 AM   #118
Angamb
Banned User

its clear that DOFP boxoffice will determinate the future of the franchise.

If it makes a huge impact, we can be sure that they will exploit this universe more than ever.

with X-Force being the first new spin-off.

Im sure with a really great cast and badass/cool script, the movie will do fine. And with a decent budget (around The Wolverine budget), it will get its money back. So a sequel would come some years later.

So that to me its pretty awesome, since it would mean X-Force, another main series sequel, and X-Force sequel, so that are three more movies for x-men fans in the next years, so we would have a pretty big universe right there.

Cant wait to see X-Force already and those new characters bringing fresh blood and new stories to the franchise. It will be pretty fun!

Old 08-25-2013, 11:22 AM   #119
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
its clear that DOFP boxoffice will determinate the future of the franchise.

If it makes a huge impact, we can be sure that they will exploit this universe more than ever.

with X-Force being the first new spin-off.

Im sure with a really great cast and badass/cool script, the movie will do fine. And with a decent budget (around The Wolverine budget), it will get its money back. So a sequel would come some years later.

So that to me its pretty awesome, since it would mean X-Force, another main series sequel, and X-Force sequel, so that are three more movies for x-men fans in the next years, so we would have a pretty big universe right there.

Cant wait to see X-Force already and those new characters bringing fresh blood and new stories to the franchise. It will be pretty fun!
Yes, DoFP will decide a lot of things.

If it's goodbye to the OT cast, then that means a First Class 3 set in the 80s and that the F4 reboot also needs to be set in the 80s.

It's hard to see a F4 reboot being set in a dystopian future with Sentinels or Apocalypse.

I think it would be great to see the F4 go into space to investigate energy disturbances that came from the death of Dark Phoenix in X3. But I don't know how the timeline would allow that to happen.

My idea is some sort of trail of energy travelling from Alcatraz into space. Scientists detect the energy and the F4 are sent to investigate it. It would be the Phoenix Force, the source of all her power. Although the Phoenix was different in the movies - another personality rather than a cosmic entity - Jean had to be getting all that power from somewhere. So they could say there was a cosmic force that she tapped into.

Then the F4 could be transformed by that force. They don't have the X-gene so they aren't 'Homo superior' mutants but they are 'mutates' and that could be an interesting part of the story.

Old 08-25-2013, 11:33 AM   #120
Angamb
Banned User

the possibilities are endless, but for some reason I dont see Josh Tank connecting his movie to X3, lol. Either Fox.

In any case, Im sure the apocalyptic future of DOFP will be seen just in this movie, and not on the next possible OT sequel.

And taking into account Jeff interviews, it doesnt seem like X-Force will be set in that world either.

So DOFP will be more or less like a One-off story. With only the FC cast continuing those storylines, of course. Maybe in the 80's, or late 70's.

The OT possible sequel could be something totally different and unexpected. Maybe the apocalyptic future leading to a new reality with Apocalypse, as rumored/speculated.... that would be pretty epic, without doubt.

Old 08-25-2013, 11:45 AM   #121
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
the possibilities are endless, but for some reason I dont see Josh Tank connecting his movie to X3, lol. Either Fox.
LOL. Except The Wolverine did connect to X3 with the Jean Grey cameo, and the photo in Yashida's files showing Wolverine and Storm, so we can't be sure what they are thinking.

X Force and F4 have to fit somewhere in the timeline, after all. I liked it that The Wolverine did feel part of a timeline rather than some standalone thing.

Old 08-25-2013, 12:00 PM   #122
Angamb
Banned User

yeah, I think those details were nice.

But in terms of a huge connection with X3 Phoenix storyline is a different story, I think.

And not to mention that the f4 reboot audience wont even remember X3, and not all the audience watched it probably, so.... it would be a weird choice.

but some little nods to X-men trilogy here and there are likely, definetly.

Old 08-25-2013, 06:27 PM   #123
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

Do the original contracts prevent a crossover? Even if it did I'm sure Marvel would let it happen on the condition that FOX share the love...
Ffs I just hate the idea of two Marvel Cinematic Universes, why can we not all just be one big happy family?

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
I'm not a fanboy, I'm just an entusiastic Spider-Man fan...
Avvy by OriginalMiles
Green Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:01 PM   #124
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlueWonder View Post
Do the original contracts prevent a crossover? Even if it did I'm sure Marvel would let it happen on the condition that FOX share the love...
Ffs I just hate the idea of two Marvel Cinematic Universes, why can we not all just be one big happy family?
I'm not sure whether or not a crossover is possible under the existing contracts. But with Milllar backtracking my guess that it is, at the very least, a grey area. Marvel sold the rights separately and could argue that combining the two separate character families is contrary to the spirit of the original agreements.

Due to horribly lopsided contracts Marvel signed in the late 90s, Marvel is making next to nothing from the X-Men characters and have little incentive to assist in the success of FOX's X-Men series. In fact, it is in Disney's best interests for the series to fail so that the character rights revert. Sony cut a deal with Disney/Marvel that put the two studios on good terms, so hopefully a similar deal will be cut with FOX and put us closer to the "one big happy family" scenario.

Zarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:07 PM   #125
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

Quote:
I'm not sure whether or not a crossover is possible under the existing contracts. But with Milllar backtracking my guess that it is, at the very least, a grey area. Marvel sold the rights separately and could argue that combining the two separate character families is contrary to the spirit of the original agreements.

Due to horribly lopsided contracts Marvel signed in the late 90s, Marvel is making next to nothing from the X-Men characters and have little incentive to assist in the success of FOX's X-Men series. In fact, it is in Disney's best interests for the series to fail so that the character rights revert. Sony cut a deal with Disney/Marvel that put the two studios on good terms, so hopefully a similar deal will be cut with FOX and put us closer to the "one big happy family" scenario.
Avi Arad's face lit up when the idea of Spidey/Avengers film was brought up. He dreams of all the money he could be bathing in.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
I'm not a fanboy, I'm just an entusiastic Spider-Man fan...
Avvy by OriginalMiles
Green Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote