The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Films

Old 08-24-2013, 10:29 PM   #1
Rocketman
Side-Kick

Default If you were given total control of just one movie franchise...

Hollywood has just given you the keys to any franchise you want. You can only choose one, and you can do whatever you want to it. You choose the director, the writer, cast, everything.

Which franchise do you choose, and what would you do with it?

Old 08-24-2013, 10:51 PM   #2
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

Default Re: If you were given total control of just one movie franchise...

Easy. I'm already working to get 'Mighty Max' off the ground, the guys over at Universal (the ones mentoring me, not all - don't know all) absolutely love my take on it so that's probably going to be one I can get off the ground. It's going to be very 90s and very retro and talk up to it's audience rather than down to them. I've always loved the more serious, yet fun, children's movies and here there's this whole other notion of all of these exciting worlds you can take the audience to. My take on Max is quite different from the original property, and that's what the executives loved about it, is that rather than going with the Luke Skywalker type - it's practically putting Han Solo behind the wheel.

However - going into the wish fulfillment zone rather than the most likely gonna happen in the next couple of years zone - AQUAMAN.

I'm hoping what I'll be turning out will give DC enough faith so that I can at least get a chance to turn a first draft in at the very least. With one film that is just as "outlandish" and a slice of what I want to do with it - I might be able to if they like it, but still the chance of that project leading into faith for this one is still slim. I want the first film to be an origin story and an invasion story, very much like MAN OF STEEL which gives me further hope for this take, but with a story of an adoptee having to return to his birth world - Atlantis (I even actually want to write it upon returning to my country of birth where I was adopted from, because I think that emotional journey will give further weight and gravitas to the script). For the sequel, I've been playing around with the notion of how the world will react to him trying to be a child of two worlds. With that said though, my heart is really more in telling the most intriguing origin story I can. I found Aquaman almost in the same way Nolan found Batman, "what hero can I do a realistic take on?" My question was, "what hero could I tackle an adoptee having to deal with his birth world/country in?" And found Aquaman rich with potential. It's basically a very archetypal and Shakespearean history there to dive into. It's something that I'm looking to personally risk everything for to get it right because I think there's so much potential in a story like this on a very real and emotional level. It'd be a challenge and a risk - going back to a place where I come from knowing nothing of their customs, their language, or from whom I originate and trying to find my place among them and potentially my parents; but it's the same journey Aquaman would be taking in returning to Atlantis. And I just faithfully want to capture that 100%. Some might say "it's just a movie about a guy who talks to fish," - I think this story really has the potential to be something more. So, going with an outlandish answer of less than 50% chance of attaining (the others are possible (and looking to possibly start an original franchise/set of films (think 'Paranormal Activity' - but completely different and not a haunted house or found footage)) it'd be this.

"If we are all united, we can take back our lives. While they stand divided, we can fight them and their laws. If we get up off our knees, we can show them that we are people. We can take back this "free" country! - Anti-Flag

Last edited by Ultimatehero; 08-24-2013 at 11:11 PM.
Ultimatehero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:17 PM   #3
Incrediblejeff
Still Incredible

The Wonder Twins at DC/WB

I would hire Bruce Timm or Genndy Tartokovsky
and it would be a big budget animated film.

I'll Give them full creative control and profit.

Old 08-25-2013, 12:11 AM   #4
Heretic
Side-Kick

Since "the entire DC universe" doesn't count...I'll say that I wish I was in a position to have guided GI Joe from the beginning. I spent my childhood dreaming up stories for them, including things to change about characters I hated (like Serpentor).

Heretic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:28 AM   #5
Victarion
Cut

Give me Lord of the Rings, and I give you...

Boromir using the orc ambush after Moria to get the Fellowship killed, taking the ring to Gondor. Aragorn would be forced to raise an army to sac Gondor and retake the One Ring. His army would be built from the Wild Folk Saruman tried to raise against the villages of Rohan. Aragorn heard rumblings of their alliance with a powerful force and investigated it after the Fellowship was killed. He had to prove himself to the leader of the Wild Folk clans and gained their alliance. He can gain some other alliances as well to sac Gondor and recover the Ring.

Meanwhile the Witch-King would be mustering the forces of Mordor to pursue Aragorn for the Ring. Gollum is outright killed by Aragorn. Unbeknownst to Aragorn, the Ring raises Gollum as something similar to the Necromancer.

The elves under Elrond decide that Aragorn must be captured or killed at all costs.

Aragorn manipulates the elves into attacking Isengard, throwing them off his tail. In Rivendell he steals Narsil while Elrond and his kin are joining the elves in the assault on Isengard.

During the siege of Isengard and cleansing of Mirkwood, the Witch-King sends out emissaries disguised as humans, elves, and dwarves to garner the sympathy of their nations. Thus the Witch-King builds an army of humans, elves, and dwarves.

A few from each race see the monstrosities their women and virile young men are used to create in Saruman's eugenics program. They try to rebel and are violently killed.

Aragorn is forced to stealth his way into Mordor. Gollum is still following him. In Mordor Aragorn infiltrates the Nazgul Tower (where the Wraiths rode from in the FOTR film) and finds texts and artifacts to awaken and control the dragons used by Morgoth in the early ages.

Aragorn sets off on a quest through Mordor to find the components needed and forms alliances with orcs, goblins, and trolls dissatisfied with the Witch-King's attempt to bring Sauron into full power.

They march with Aragorn; Aragorn gets the components. At this point Gollum engages him. Aragorn uses Narsil to kill Gollum and awaken the dragons of Morgoth.

The dragons, along with Aragorn and his goblins, orcs, and trolls, attack Barad-Dur. It turns out Sauron was never there; it was all a ploy for the Witch-King to rule Mordor and Middle-Earth.
The Witch-King mounts his Nazgul and commands the other Nazgul riding Wraiths to join him. The aerial battle ranges from Barad-Dur to Mount Doom.

The Witch-King breaks Narsil; the dragons go berserk and start destroying Mordor. Aragorn kills the Witch-King by throwing him into Mount Doom and going in with him.

The dragons turn all of the lands of Gondor, Rohan, Erebor, and the Shire into blackened wastelands where they rule as kings.

Victarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:43 AM   #6
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

I would like to see the Halloween franchise be the anthology series it was always intended to be. I will never understand why there is more than one film about Michael Myers.

redhawk23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:15 AM   #7
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

X-Men! Of course

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:50 AM   #8
Silvermoth
Avenger

I was going to say xmen too but psylockecollussus beat me to it.

So I would make "the authority" with guy Ritchie directing and the following cast...

Midnighter- wentworth miller
Apollo - Robert gant
The engineer- Penelope Cruz
The doctor - Toby kebbell
Swift - Gemma chan

Silvermoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:36 AM   #9
dude love
Pissin fire is awesome!

The Nicolas Cage Cinematic Universe.

All seriousness, I can't decide. I want them to keep making Alien and Predator films, but I don't want the responsibility of expanding the mythology with ideas that wouldn't work.

Old 08-25-2013, 04:56 AM   #10
SWAT
Pool of the Death

The Punisher. Starring Philip Winchester. Written/Directed by Christopher McQuarrie.

Never Run, Turn Around And Face The One's Who Push You Out.
Stand Your Ground And Burn Them Down.-
SWAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:50 AM   #11
TheDreamMaster
Pain is Power

Hm, that's a hard question. I feel like running something like Star Wars would be a lot, and as much as I love Jurassic Park, the ideas are scarce for that.

I think I would take A Nightmare on Elm Street. First thing I'd do is boot the remake out and start over. As long as he could work, I'd bring Robert Englund back as Freddy. I'd want a trilogy, the first being a remake of the original, but changing things up, bringing new kills and maybe putting a more serious spin on kills from the latter films in the original series. I wouldn't try to clone Nancy (not that the remake Nancy had any personality like the original did.), but feature a lead actress with some different character traits, and different set of friends. .Possibly try the more outcast-type character, so no one really believes the things she says until other start dying and comparing stories and such.I think I'd have both of her parents be cops this time around, as they met through their profession and when the main character was little, were on the Kruger case, eventually joining the parents in burning Freddy. Freddy would get his child-killer origin back. None of the daycare stuff. The molestation can be implied, but I find it stupid that the parents burned Kruger for molesting their kids (I am a father, I would never want anything to happen to my kids, but the fact alone that all the parents banded together to burn him over it seems a little crazy to me, especially as no murder was involved.), and if Freddy isn't a killer already but comes back one.

The second film would be set three years later, and be a new version of Dream Warriors. New kids, new talents (for example the D & D kid would become a Skyrim player), and keep that serious tone with a little humor of the first. Undecided on if the lead girl would return, or if it'd feature a different returning character. Freddy would be lose a lot of his power near the end by them no longer fearing them, however using the possession powers originally exhibited in Elm street 2 and Freddy vs. Jason, he'd free himself from Elm Street, and use his remaining powers to begin spreading himself across all of Springwood.

The third would be a mix of new ideas and ones from the remaining films, but would likely be Freddy's Dead. Of course huge tone change from the original, but I'd be using the remaining Dream Warriors hunting for a way to stop Freddy, while meanwhile he's become extremely powerful while eliminating the rest of the Springwood children. No child of Freddy nonsense, nothing to do with only blood can kill blood. certainly no 3D weirdness. I do like the Dream Demon concept, but instead of coming to him like the original FD showed, I'd have Freddy spend about ten years in Hell, burning, and wandering the vast plains until finding a place where the Dream Demons were banished. They need blood, and fear to make them strong again, so they agree to give Freddy his revenge in exchange for feeding off the carnage he causes. Eventually it would come to finding some artifact that helped seal away the demons in ancient times, and once Freddy is pulled into reality, can remove the Dream Demons from him and he can be killed once and for all.

After that, if Robert Englund was still able, I'd do the prequel, The Elm Street Murders, leading to what makes Freddy into what he becomes. I'm not a fan of movies that kill kids because it is edgy, so I'd say any younger kids would bite it off screen, but we'd still likely have a few teenage characters who Freddy would chase down, leading to the his arrest and release due to a technicality, and then the parents ending him. If there's any one thing that both the Freddy's Nightmares TV series and Freddy vs. Jason got right, its the way Robert Englund played human Freddy. I probably wouldn't keep the ice cream truck or anything like that from the show, but that part in the beginning of Fvs.J with human Freddy is so creepy and well done.

Edit: Added details.

Last edited by TheDreamMaster; 08-25-2013 at 12:13 PM.
TheDreamMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:33 AM   #12
Rocketman
Side-Kick

I would reinvent/reboot The Matrix franchise.

A whole new trilogy, with an entirely new cast of characters, and a new story. Explore all new philosophical ideas, create new innovative action sequences, and expand the universe like The Animatrix did, but take it to the next level.

It would not disregard the first trilogy, and it would be connected to it, but it would not depend on it or need to directly reference it in any way. So, it's technically The Matrix 4, 5, and 6, but you do not need to see 1-3 to understand what's going on.

We would follow the next One, maybe 100 years after Neo died, or some considerable time after 1-3 to make it as fresh and new as possible, with a totally blank, limitless canvas of ideas.

I would get an up-and-coming director who has showed serious talent in their debuts:

Shane Carruth (Primer, Upstream Color)
Rian Johnson (Looper, Brick, The Brothers Bloom)
Duncan Jones (Moon, Source Code)

^ Maybe let them all collaborate, or let each one take one film of the trilogy, and just let them run wild. Put them in a think tank and let them map out the entire trilogy.

I would want to see novels, comics, an animated series, everything.

Basically, in 1999, The Matrix was hailed as "The Next Star Wars", and in 2003 it really had that chance... and it didn't quite nail the opportunity. I would make it what it was supposed to be, and have it in the big leagues with Star Wars, Star Trek, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, etc. It's a franchise that has so much untapped potential, it depresses me that it's something that has come and gone. I want it to be here to stay.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:58 AM   #13
66 Face
Side-Kick

I would bring back Christopher Lee's Mummy for Hammer films using CGI. I'm not the biggest CGI fan but it HAS to be Christopher Lee's likeness.

It would be one part Terminator, one part Excorsist and one part Drag me to Hell.

Andrew Lincoln step in for Peter Cushing (talk about a clone)
Rebeca Hall as the love interest

Old 08-25-2013, 10:26 AM   #14
Jochimus
Autobot Slacker

Well, since the aforementioned "entire DC cinematic universe" as well as "my own" probably wouldn't be acceptable answers...

THE TRANSFORMERS

Fifteen years from now, Earth has been conquered and its major metropolitan areas laid waste by a malevolent army of shape-changing robots called the Sweeps. Their khan is a cold, quiet and calculating figure known as Galvatron; at his side are his expert trackers, the horned witch Cyclonus (yes, female) and the towering, silent, brutish Scourge (basically they'd be refashioned into an homage to the Phantom Zone villains in the original Superman movies). Those military personnel that survived the initial skirmishes have been taken prisoner in work camps; those civilians that have survived have been driven away from what remains of the cities, into the plains and hills, stripped of almost all modern technology since the Sweeps can track movements through the World Wide Web and any other known computerized tracking systems like OnStar, thus causing humans to fall back on using mostly older cars. For the most part, though, Galvatron isn't concerned with civilians regardless of Cyclonus' protestations, seeing as outside of the growing underground resistance movement that according to his trackers has apparently been focusing much of its energies on trying to get coded messages to someone or something called "Optimus Prime", most of humankind has had the good sense to fear him and thus stay out of his way (it's implied in dialogue that a nuclear counterstrike was attempted and backfired horribly).

Most, but not all, though: one person who doesn't have any particular trepidation toward risking the wrath of the Sweeps is a 17-year-old hacker, newly escaped from juvie detention, named Verity Carlo. All she wants is to get out of the country and down to Mexico (one of the few "safe spots" remaining on Earth...at least for crooks), and upon trying to hack an ATM at a truck stop near Devil's Tower, Wyoming (deliberate nod to Classic Spielberg) tries to tap into a nearby Sweep communications relay for processing power with dismal results; her laptop gets fried, giving away her position (also doing away with the "I Can Conveniently Decipher The Aliens' Technology With My Laptop!" cliché), and drawing the attentions, via radio reports of her attempted theft, of a mysterious, brooding police officer in a patrol car who takes up pursuit.

Before we get to him, though, Verity is quickly intercepted by a red and blue big-rig driven by an older gent who goes by his CB handle, "Orion", and instead of taking her to Mexico he's planning to drop her off in Nevada, where a pocket of resistance fighters led by a former Special Ops man named Adam Rook - codename Lazarus - will get her to safety in a more convenient fashion than Orion can. Orion, you see, isn't on the way to Mexico; Verity discovers he's headed for Seattle, which happens to be where Galvatron's citadel is (atop a more heavily fortified version of the Space Needle), so her suspicions that there's, ahem, more to Orion than meets the eye become stoked more and more. And sure enough, when the Sweeps get to Nevada ahead of Orion and start to take apart the derelict refinery where the resistance has been hiding out - civilians scrambling all over themselves as the soldiers vainly attempt to fight back - he knows the game's up and, in a spectacular battle sequence about 15 to 20 minutes into the movie (I picture the total run time being about 2 1/2 hours - most of the backstory of the Sweeps' occupation is told in newscast segments interspersed over the opening credits so that the movie picks up with Verity right away), reveals himself to be the holo-avatar of his robot form: Optimus Prime, who transforms as he leaps into the fray and proceeds to chop apart the Sweeps left and right; furthermore, the cop who's been tailing Orion/Optimus and Verity turns out to be not a Sweep at all, but Prowl, who's been watching Prime's back since getting a fix on the girl (between Optimus' "Orion" bit with its echoes of Yoda's intro in ESB, and Prowl's virtual T-1000 imitation, there's a fair bit of screwing with the audience in those first 15 minutes ). They are joined in short order by a TALKING Bumblebee (CB handle "Goldbug"), and get ripped by Lazarus about what's taken them so bloody long to group up AND the fact that the Sweeps have obviously picked up their trail now that they've found a base camp, but Prowl quickly assures Lazarus that he had the Sweeps' transmissions jammed, thus blocking their distress signals back to Seattle; Lazarus' forces thus start moving out the civilians as the Autobots start destroying the camp completely to remove any clues as to where they're going.

The only problem, though, is that when his trackers report back what they've found when they arrive at the scene, Galvatron isn't going to be so stupid as to believe that the resistance was capable of doing all that damage, so it falls upon Optimus to hook up with the other four Autobots presently on Earth - Brawn, Inferno, Ariel and Smokescreen - and re-establish CB communications with Lazarus' "inside man" in Seattle, Walter Barnett, a wounded war veteran who lost his career military family in battle against the Sweeps (including his wife and both his sons) and is prepared to go out in a blaze of glory himself before this is all said and done. For her part, Verity essentially gets "drafted" by Lazarus since she's about the only hacker left in the group (the Sweeps having killed most of his communications staff in the siege on the refinery), so she isn't too happy about that and even less happy with being paired off with Bumblebee as part of the 'Bots' espionage operations, as the group scatters and prepares to sneak into Seattle from various directions to surround the citadel and draw Galvatron out into a one-on-one firefight. Now, if only someone could alert the Autobots that, unknownst to the old man, Barnett's communications with the 'Bots are being monitored by Galvatron himself...and that a one-on-one showdown with Optimus Prime is the very thing that Galvatron has been squatting on this otherwise-utterly-useless rock (there ain't no more Ancient Buried Crap around) 15 years for...

That's the first movie, anyway; basically a Seven Samurai/Magnificent Seven-influenced 'soft reboot' in that it doesn't require you to have seen the previous films, but it also doesn't go out of its way to act like they never happened, either; plus if it's a TOTAL reboot you want out of it, just swap out Galvatron, Cyclonus and Scourge with Megatron, Starscream and Soundwave, respectively, and replace the Sweeps with Vehicons.

http://jochimus.deviantart.com

Last edited by Jochimus; 08-31-2013 at 09:13 AM.
Jochimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:03 AM   #15
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Batman Beyond. I'd pick Clint Eastwood as Bruce, have Shriek and Inque as the villains and probably Logan Lerman as Terry

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)
CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:14 AM   #16
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

I would pick the DC Cinematic Universe but I guess that doesn't count.

Spider-Man it is.

I would use the Spectacular Spiderman cartoon as some influence.

Old 08-25-2013, 12:50 PM   #17
Hyde
Ooga-Chaka

Star Wars. If we're allowed to include TV, Doctor Who. So much untapped potential

I still believe in heroes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
"I tell ya, that Jennifer Lawrenshinch, I'd like to put my olive in her martini."
Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:03 PM   #18
bullets
bang bang

I wouldn't want to the burden of ruining a franchise if I made a made a bad choice.

bullets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:06 PM   #19
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieMaster View Post
Star Wars. If we're allowed to include TV, Doctor Who. So much untapped potential
I feel like I would screw Star Wars up like crazy.

I'd have lightsaber fights every 5 minutes.

Old 08-25-2013, 03:13 PM   #20
Evan Drew
Side-Kick

The Fantastic Four.

Then I would knock on Disney's door and say "All yours."

Evan Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:03 PM   #21
Deserana
2005/2008/2012

Transformers. I'm not even a fan but there is so much that could have been done, instead Bay squatted over the whole thing.

Actually no. Die Hard. 100% Die Hard.

Psychic though? That sounds like something out of science-fiction.

We live in a spaceship, dear.

Deserana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:36 PM   #22
DCW
Side-Kick

I'd pick Star Wars too and first I'd put the original theatrical trilogy on blu ray. Then I'd put out a movie about Darth Bane and Knights of the Old Republic.

DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:26 PM   #23
TheAQU4M4N
K1NG Of ATL4NTiS!

Tmnt

Old 08-25-2013, 06:34 PM   #24
Human Torch
OK,who brought the dog?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimatehero View Post
Easy. I'm already working to get 'Mighty Max' off the ground, the guys over at Universal (the ones mentoring me, not all - don't know all) absolutely love my take on it so that's probably going to be one I can get off the ground. It's going to be very 90s and very retro and talk up to it's audience rather than down to them. I've always loved the more serious, yet fun, children's movies and here there's this whole other notion of all of these exciting worlds you can take the audience to. My take on Max is quite different from the original property, and that's what the executives loved about it, is that rather than going with the Luke Skywalker type - it's practically putting Han Solo behind the wheel.
I think I remember that cartoon.Like a 10 year old blonde kid,that was a secret agent or something?I thought it was pretty good.

Old 08-25-2013, 06:38 PM   #25
chaseter
Bland User

Spider-Man

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
chaseter is offline   Reply With Quote