The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Star Trek > Star Trek Sequels

Old 08-02-2013, 12:09 PM   #26
Lord
All Mighty

Default Re: Star Trek 3 Plot and villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKush View Post
And Gary Mitchell is too similar to Khan. I would've preferred both Mitchell and April instead of Khan and Marcus in Into Darkness.

I wonder if the comics aren't just going to be place to hash out the Klingon conflict, like they have been to give the audience alternate takes on Mitchell and April while moving on to a new story with new antagonists?
Besides being strong i don't see much similarity between Mitchell and Khan, and then Gary is still on a whole different level. For me one of the biggest wastes in the reboot films was not featuring Gary Mitchell as a main character or friend of Kirk, there's a lot that could have been explored with him.

Khan was originally choosen in the film because he was one of the great villains that didn't die, so he could easily return, and that lead to him being the main villain in Into Darkness which i think is kind of lame, considering there are so many other great possibilities in the original series.

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:19 PM   #27
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

Damon Lindelof has hinted at the return of Khan. How big of a role should he have?

Old 08-02-2013, 07:05 PM   #28
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Would make sense to take him out of deep freeze if they are fighting the Klingons.

Old 08-03-2013, 12:22 AM   #29
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated

Wouldn't history be repeating itself if the Federation were to wake him up? Perhaps the Klingons would try to use him to fight it instead?

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Picard Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:04 PM   #30
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

What do you guys think of the title Star Trek and Beyond?

Old 08-05-2013, 09:22 PM   #31
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Alex Kurtzman and Rob Orci will return to rite next film.Damon Lindeloff won't be back.

Considering I like 2009 better than Into Darkness this Is good news.

marvelrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:43 PM   #32
samsnee
Side-Kick

They just need to come up with an original story. No characters from TOS or TNG besides the main cast, no callbacks, no winks to canon. Making new history instead of relying of servicing fanboys.

samsnee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:01 PM   #33
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

Karl Urban on Sequel
Quote:
It seems like the biggest Star Trek fan in the new Star Trek reboot is Karl Urban, who plays Dr. McCoy. There are stories from the first movie where he argued with the costume department about whether or not Starfleet tucked their pants into their boots; that's really nitpicky nerdy fandom. Everybody else involved seems to have seen Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan and that's about it. Urban's a deep cuts man, though. So when he speaks about what Star Trek III needs, I listen. Probably nobody else does, though.

Talking to IGN Urban says "What I really believe we should do now is strive for originality... In Star Trek Into Darkness we took one of the most revered and loved adversaries of the Enterprise and put him in there, and did a story that had all of these wonderful nods to films from the past, and episodes from the past. I really think that what we should do from here, in my personal opinion, is strive to be original. Strive to be something different and new."

That's been what this was supposed to be all along, wasn't it? The Star Trek universe is so big and deep and rich that it would be easy to craft new adventures while retaining famiiar touchstones, as opposed to remaking Wrath of Khan and, for reasons clear only to the filmmakers, Nemesis. Urban speaks for the fans - we already have the classic stories and characters, we want all new ones. The Mystery Box shouldn't be full of the same old stuff!

And Urban goes on to speak for the fans again when he says, "Let's not forget that Star Trek as envisioned was about space exploration. It would be really wonderful to harness the spirit of that and apply it to the next film, so that we do something different than a revenge-based picture."

Old 08-05-2013, 11:05 PM   #34
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

I speak for some fanboys.They didn't do much of a job servicing us since some of biggest critics of Into darkness are longtime trekkers.

Let's stop trying to turn trek Into star wars.You want action how about battle between enterprise and another ship.No trying to cop death star large ship.

Kirk can get into physical battle with baddies but no trying to have a superhero style fight like they did Into darkness.

How about let's stop trying to be PC.the trio of Star trek Is Kirk-Spock-Mccoy.Not Kirk-Spock-Uhuru.

And not only Is SPock-Uhuru a disservice to cannon,Spock being involved with as teacher a cadet the real spock would never do that,but Zachary quonto and Zoe Saldana have no chemicstry together.And no I am not saying that because he's gay.He had chemistry on heroes with Kristen Bell.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:11 PM   #35
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaooz View Post
Karl Urban on Sequel
He Is number one actor who aims to be like original.

Like I said some of fiest critics of into darkness were some longtime fans.COmparions to wrath of khan didn't make us feel like we were being serviced.Into darkness to some longtime fans was inferior to wrath of Khan.

I for one am not looking for them to copy plot devices and visuals from classic trek.I want some things to feel like star Trek and not star wars lite.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:24 AM   #36
Airwings
Waves of air

Klingons are mentioned by several people here, and I agree. We've had romulans, we've had Khan. How could they not use klingons as the main baddies this time?
During the first ten films, they were popping up a lot of times. The GA is familiar with them.

As for the borg, I don't think we are ready for them yet. Neither is the characters or the story line of the reboots.
But should the borg be saved for a TNG reboot? At this stage, I have to say no. Borg could work after the klingons.
Will we ever get to see the first adventures of Picard, Riker, Data etc? If it happens, it will be many years from now. Kirk, Spock and the rest of the original crew is "the thing" now. If we look at the older films, they "were" the franchise between 1979 and 1991, and didn't retire until 1994 (in a film where they sort of shared screen time with TNG).

Last edited by Airwings; 09-03-2013 at 03:09 AM.
Airwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:45 PM   #37
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

How do you guys want the the Carol and Kirk relationship to play out? I thought Eve and Pine has nice chemistry and there was a nice spark between them.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:22 AM   #38
YavinIV
Newbie First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwings View Post
Klingons are mentioned by several people here, and I agree. We've had romulans, we've had Khan. How could they not use klingons as the main baddies this time?
During the first ten films, they were popping up a lot of times. The GE is familiar with them.

As for the borg, I don't think we are ready for them yet. Neither is the characters or the story line of the reboots.
But should the borg be saved for a TNG reboot? At this stage, I have to say no. Borg could work after the klingons.
Will we ever get to see the first adventures of Picard, Riker, Data etc? If it happens, it will be many years from now. Kirk, Spock and the rest of the original crew is "the thing" now. If we look at the older films, they "were" the franchise between 1979 and 1991, and didn't retire until 1994 (in a film where they sort of scared screen time with TNG).
Well, I was so ready for the Borg. Khan was a huge disappointment for me because I really thought they'd go for either the Klingons or the Borg. I'd be fine with the Klingons in the next film, but o lord would I love to see Kirk encounter the Borg! Have Q show up and warn the crew and then boom - Borg!

Klingons..well as I said, I'd be fine with them too but only if I'd get to see their ship full of Tribbles, too

YavinIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:23 AM   #39
YavinIV
Newbie First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaooz View Post
How do you guys want the the Carol and Kirk relationship to play out? I thought Eve and Pine has nice chemistry and there was a nice spark between them.
Mneeeeeh, I'm not a big fan of that at all. But I guess it would fit ...somehow.

YavinIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:49 AM   #40
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsnee View Post
They just need to come up with an original story. No characters from TOS or TNG besides the main cast, no callbacks, no winks to canon. Making new history instead of relying of servicing fanboys.
The problem is that they take the most obvious old villains, they took Khan because along with the Klingons he's the most famous Star Trek villain, but they seem to forget that when he was chosen as the villain he was just one of the one-shot villains from the show, and they were able to take him (and make him famous) because he happened to have survive in the episode.

In the Original series lie a lot of interesting concepts just waiting to be taken, problem is the writers just go into the most famous ones. Take Gary Mitchell or Charlie X for example, imagine the possibilities a modern film could explore with these godly being.

I agree that they could go throw an original direction, as long as it's an interesting one, but let's not forget that you can take things from the tv shows without having to be winks and nods, in fact there's enough mythology to make multiple interesting movies, you just have to not ignore the episodes that don't feature the most famous villains and situations

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:50 AM   #41
bunk
superhero fan

It would be great if they could come up with a story that doesn't rely on a baddie the crew has to take out, but just some other problem to solve. Star Trek IV is probably the best example of that in the movies. TMP is a good example of that not working so well. I think the studio prefers a villain character that can be more easily marketed.

Old 08-14-2013, 02:02 PM   #42
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YavinIV View Post
Mneeeeeh, I'm not a big fan of that at all. But I guess it would fit ...somehow.
I think it's inevitable. I felt there was definitely something between to set up a romance later.

Old 08-14-2013, 04:11 PM   #43
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Am I the only one who thought that there was more of a Bones/Marcus romance going on that a Kirk/Marcus romance?
I wouldn't mind that if they decide to go that route. In fact I would prefer if they divide the timelines further.

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

R_Hythlodeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:31 PM   #44
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Hythlodeus View Post
Am I the only one who thought that there was more of a Bones/Marcus romance going on that a Kirk/Marcus romance?
I wouldn't mind that if they decide to go that route. In fact I would prefer if they divide the timelines further.
I see where you're coming from but I sure hope not. Kirk/Marcus is a lot more appealing. Plus Bones doesn't seem like the kind of dude to get into a relationship, but after all his divorce or whatever did send him to Star Fleet.

Old 08-25-2013, 07:41 PM   #45
palewest
Side-Kick

I thought they confirmed they were setting up the Klingons to take over as primary antagonists in the next film.

palewest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:29 AM   #46
X-Nemesis
Side-Kick

I would love to see a Star Trek film that had less violence and more storyline...thoughtful, intelligent, intricate and relevant. And definitely having more to do with the actual mission of the ship which is exploration. I'm sick of all the action and fighting.

If TNG can make some amazing tv eps, of which there were many, than please, can't they come up with some truly epic writing for the next movie?

X-Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:10 AM   #47
Airwings
Waves of air

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Nemesis View Post
I would love to see a Star Trek film that had less violence and more storyline...thoughtful, intelligent, intricate and relevant. And definitely having more to do with the actual mission of the ship which is exploration. I'm sick of all the action and fighting.
Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979)

Airwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:14 AM   #48
Picard Sisko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwings View Post
Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979)
I love TMP. I think if it was cut down by 30-40 minutes, it wouldn't get so much criticism.

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Old 09-04-2013, 01:20 AM   #49
ntbone
NT becomes T-Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsnee View Post
i disagree. if they did that, then there would be nothing separating Star Trek from all the other mindless scifi blockbusters getting excreted by Hollywood. I don't care if they change the canon, since they're obviously doing it anyway, but I'd like to see glimmers of TOS in the new movies to keep the spirit of Trek alive. Otherwise, go see Transformers or something.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:07 AM   #50
Picard Sisko

What's great about JJ Abrams' Trek reboot is that it stems off of the original timeline due to Nero & Spock traveling back in time and changing events. The original timeline is still there, we are just witnessing the events of an alternate timeline, and winks to the original make this feel more official. Its not just a reboot, its still cannon IMO.