The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Old 08-26-2013, 02:52 AM   #1
Binker
Side-Kick

Default A Tale of Two Cities and its connection to TDKR

I don't know anything about Tale of Two Cities, with the exception of the opening and closing lines being the same, as well as its themes of class structure and warfare, and the French Revolution. And while it had influenced TDKR, my question for those who had read the book and seen the film (of course) is this: how well was the film's execution using the book as its influence?

From what I've read, it sounds like a great story to be turned into a Batman story (film, etc.), and if I'm right, a story that gives Gotham character and leads back to why Batman was created in the first place. But that's just me, someone who has seen the film but not the book.

From you guys, how well did the film execute the book as its influence, and what themes and from the story were used in TDKR, and was the payoff well achieved too?

Binker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:46 AM   #2
Dude
Side-Kick

Default Re: A Tale of Two Cities and its connection to TDKR

There were similiar thematic elements. Mostly the class warfare aspect and the misunderstood hero who sacrifices himself for the good of others. There are also scenes which serve as an homage such as the storming of the Bastille/Blackgate and hanging enemies of the cause from lamp posts/the bridge. There's also the kangaroo court and executions of the rich.

I'd characterize it as a strong influence on the mood and themes of the film more so than a modern day retelling. I actually felt that the Dark Knight was more of a retelling of the story of Jesus in the gospels than TDKR was of A Tale of Two Cities.

Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:33 PM   #3
Victarion
Cut

Madame Defarge knitted the names of people she hated (upper class folks, I think); Bane was knitting during the kangaroo courts. The football stadium scene came from an older movie, Prince of the City. Or maybe it was King of the City. It involved a dirigible and a football stadium.

Victarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:14 AM   #4
Happy Jack
Iconographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude View Post
There were similiar thematic elements. Mostly the class warfare aspect and the misunderstood hero who sacrifices himself for the good of others. There are also scenes which serve as an homage such as the storming of the Bastille/Blackgate and hanging enemies of the cause from lamp posts/the bridge. There's also the kangaroo court and executions of the rich.

I'd characterize it as a strong influence on the mood and themes of the film more so than a modern day retelling. I actually felt that the Dark Knight was more of a retelling of the story of Jesus in the gospels than TDKR was of A Tale of Two Cities.
There are some biblical allusions in Rises as well, with the figurative martyrdom and rising from the dead.

For you they call, the swaying mass, their eager faces turning.
Happy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote