The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: How do you think Man of Steel will do?
1.5 billion 11 5.85%
1 billion 27 14.36%
900 million 13 6.91%
800 million 35 18.62%
700 million 41 21.81%
600 million 29 15.43%
500 million 18 9.57%
400 million 8 4.26%
300 million 2 1.06%
200 million 4 2.13%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-27-2013, 01:31 AM   #26
kalelvis
Side-Kick

Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - - - - - - Part 15

I don't know if it is being re-released in other countries or in other chains outside of the Regal "America's favorites" program so I am hesitant to make any bold predictions like 800 million, but it sure would be nice just to get across the 300 mil mark. Right now the local Imax is not listing what it is showing this weekend, so it doesn't look like it has really commited to giving Mortal Bones another week, so there might be a chance of MoS popping up on more screens than the ones listed as part of the Regal re-release.

On thing to keep in mind is that the America's Favorites does seem to be a mid priced ticket (6-7 dollars), so they might not have the confidence to put it back on full price Imax screens.

Anyway, it should certanly provide a solid boost especially with all the buzz (+ and-) about the sequel the last couple of weeks. It might just be enough for the people who didn't go see it to say "hey it sounds like they have big plans...I better check it out...."

kalelvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:44 AM   #27
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalonewolf View Post
Great
more proof Man Of Steel wasn't hated just so much competition and all of its comp came to rapid but give MOS back more screens and it can possibly get 800mil ww
another 30 days in china it would jave crossed 120-130 there easily
it wasn't hated. some didn't give it a chance. some got shocked to see extensive destruction and lack of saving action at the ending.

much competition? none of the movies in the summer made more than 1B. and most of them are poor movies.

another 30 days in China??? why China??? it was done a month ago! it wasn't a big hit there.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:51 AM   #28
kalelvis
Side-Kick

64 million is pretty solid box office in China. Not record shattering but still a pretty good take.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:09 AM   #29
JKKS085
Side-Kick

Quote:
Great
more proof Man Of Steel wasn't hated just so much competition and all of its comp came to rapid but give MOS back more screens and it can possibly get 800mil ww

Once again, you made my day.
MoS has like 0 chance to get to 700 millions at this point and you're still predicting 800 millions. You clearly don't know how the bo works, do you ?

Old 08-27-2013, 08:51 AM   #30
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalelvis View Post
64 million is pretty solid box office in China. Not record shattering but still a pretty good take.
Wow, that's pretty solid. Surprised it beat ASM there. Then again, not really.
Beat skyfall as well and that thing make most of it's money overseas.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:54 AM   #31
Stephen K. Hone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Great
If it can get 1000 theaters in the U.S. for a week or so then $300 million could be doable.

Stephen K. Hone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:08 AM   #32
JKKS085
Side-Kick

10 more millions with 1,000 theaters in a week ? That's a weekly average of $10,000 per theater similar to how MoS performed during it's 3rd week of release. That's just not gonna happen.

When Avengers reexpanded to 1,705 theaters in September 2012 its weekly average was $1,630 per theater.
When TDK reexpanded to 344 theaters in january 2009 its weekly average was $2,516 per theater.

You really think that MoS can make 4 to 6 time more money than those smashing hits ?

Last edited by JKKS085; 08-27-2013 at 10:13 AM.
JKKS085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:07 AM   #33
dalonewolf
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2 View Post
it wasn't hated. some didn't give it a chance. some got shocked to see extensive destruction and lack of saving action at the ending.

much competition? none of the movies in the summer made more than 1B. and most of them are poor movies.

another 30 days in China??? why China??? it was done a month ago! it wasn't a big hit there.
Why do u think any of the movies that was release between june and august didnt gross a billion
it was just to many movies being release even even AMC movie talk said it we never had a summer with so many releases
and I used china as example that MOS could have a better O.S box we forget with all the releases mos wasnt only effected in the u.s but o.s as well other countries had thier movies being released at the same time as all the u.s releases so the movies wasnt only push out of u.s screens but o.s as well

dalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:15 AM   #34
dalonewolf
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKKS085 View Post

Once again, you made my day.
MoS has like 0 chance to get to 700 millions at this point and you're still predicting 800 millions. You clearly don't know how the bo works, do you ?
It seems to me that u only take in consideration the u.s box office thier was many o.s countries that loved mos and had short time with the movie and gaining another 150 mil isn't that far out of reach ww MOS still has japan to open In.which 15-20 of those million can be done there and with a nice re-release it can possibly get another 12-15 million dom
why? All us fan boys wanna see this movie in 3-d again so of mos can get 290dom in 60 days I think it can pull off 12 mil in another 30 days like I said before the interest was not lost in MOS it was tge rapid lost of screens

dalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:20 AM   #35
Stephen K. Hone
Side-Kick

Quote:
10 more millions with 1,000 theaters in a week ? That's a weekly average of $10,000 per theater similar to how MoS performed during it's 3rd week of release. That's just not gonna happen.

When Avengers reexpanded to 1,705 theaters in September 2012 its weekly average was $1,630 per theater.
When TDK reexpanded to 344 theaters in january 2009 its weekly average was $2,516 per theater.

You really think that MoS can make 4 to 6 time more money than those smashing hits ?
I said a week or so. Could be two weeks. We'll see, I never claimed it was a certainty.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:07 PM   #36
JKKS085
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen K. Hone View Post
I said a week or so. Could be two weeks. We'll see, I never claimed it was a certainty.
Even in two weeks, that's just impossible (and even Avengers and TDK got only 1 week for their respective reexpandings, not two).

Truth is a reexpanding rarely translates into a significant jump in the average revenue per theater, that's a fact. MoS' current weekly average sits around $2,000 in 365 theaters. Even if it gets reexpanded in a 1,000 theaters (wich is unlikely at this point) and if the w. average climbs to $2,500 , that's barely an additionnal 2.5 millions to the domestic cume. And 7,5 millions to go to reach the 300 millions.

300 millions won't happen. You guys should let that dream go.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:02 PM   #37
Stephen K. Hone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Even in two weeks, that's just impossible (and even Avengers and TDK got only 1 week for their respective reexpandings, not two).

Truth is a reexpanding rarely translates into a significant jump in the average revenue per theater, that's a fact. MoS' current weekly average sits around $2,000 in 365 theaters. Even if it gets reexpanded in a 1,000 theaters (wich is unlikely at this point) and if the w. average climbs to $2,500 , that's barely an additionnal 2.5 millions to the domestic cume. And 7,5 millions to go to reach the 300 millions.

300 millions won't happen. You guys should let that dream go.
First off I'm not saying it IS going to make $300 million but it will certainly add a couple of million with a limited re-release which is nothing to sneeze at. Also TDK RE- release was after it had been out on Bluray/DVD for a while so I would expect MOS to do a little better.

The average you are stating for MOS in those 365 Theaters is basically dollar theaters. A re-release would be in first run or IMAX theaters and the tickets will be 3-4 times as much as the $3 that I payed last week. Lastly come January if MOS is up for enough Oscar nominations ( technical/score etc not acting writing) WB might roll it out again.

Old 08-27-2013, 03:12 PM   #38
C. Lee
I'm not old...I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

People.....you can disagree with someone without being so rude and snotty....

C. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:12 PM   #39
JOE

RT if u crid.

"If you make yourself more than just an avatar, if you devote yourself to an ideal, you become something else entirely... A legend, Mr. Kane52630"

@JoeJoeJoeUrBoat

MCU CBM Ratings:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Iron-Man: 7.5
The Incredible Hulk: 5.5
Iron-Man 2: 4
Thor: 5
Captain America: 6.5
The Avengers: 8
Iron-Man 3: 6
Thor 2: 5
Captain America 2: 7
Guardians of the Galaxy: 7.5

DCU CBM Ratings:
Man of Steel: 5

JOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:16 PM   #40
STARMAN
Side-Kick

290 doesn't feel any different than 289 to me.

STARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:15 PM   #41
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Why do u think any of the movies that was release between june and august didnt gross a billion
it was just to many movies being release even even AMC movie talk said it we never had a summer with so many releases
and I used china as example that MOS could have a better O.S box we forget with all the releases mos wasnt only effected in the u.s but o.s as well other countries had thier movies being released at the same time as all the u.s releases so the movies wasnt only push out of u.s screens but o.s as well
It isn't my opinion. It's a fact. None of the summer movies this year gross a billion.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:37 PM   #42
X Knight
Straight Edge Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARMAN View Post
it's a nice round number.

Disney Lover and Proud!!
X Knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:10 PM   #43
Stephen K. Hone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARMAN View Post
Well with the limited re-release it'll probably be at $291 million sometime next week. Does that sound a little better to you?

Old 08-28-2013, 09:07 AM   #44
kalelvis
Side-Kick

MoS is gong to be facing some re-release competition this weekend. Star Trek into Darkness and World War Z are playing as a double feature in wide release starting Friday and running through next Thursday.

It is interesting that all three movies are playing at reduced rates during the re-release (MoS 6-7 dollars, STiD+WWZ two for the price of one). I don't recall this particular marketing movie happening in the recent past, so it will be interesting to see the overall impact on the BO this weekend. I for one know that I would rather watch these three movies again than sit through a One Direction movie....

Old 08-28-2013, 12:22 PM   #45
JOE

Not making the 300M finish line sucks. Such a tease to be in the 290's.

"If you make yourself more than just an avatar, if you devote yourself to an ideal, you become something else entirely... A legend, Mr. Kane52630"

@JoeJoeJoeUrBoat

MCU CBM Ratings:
Iron-Man: 7.5
The Incredible Hulk: 5.5
Iron-Man 2: 4
Thor: 5
Captain America: 6.5
The Avengers: 8
Iron-Man 3: 6
Thor 2: 5
Captain America 2: 7
Guardians of the Galaxy: 7.5

DCU CBM Ratings:
Man of Steel: 5

JOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:36 PM   #46
Bruce_Begins
Taking a break.

Man of Steel is going to be released in Japan on 30 th Aug 2013, right ?

Even if it makes 20 mil $ there, the world wide collections would get some boost.

Hopefully at the end of run in Japan, it will be around 670 mil $.

*\S/T*

I'll be back !
Bruce_Begins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:59 PM   #47
ModernClarkKent
Side-Kick

Made about 32 K yesterday, only movie apart from Pain and Gain that went down from Monday ... I'm just very curious to know if it's no longer showing in any other foreign markets - as it hasn't been updated at all overseas for really 2-3 weeks now.

ModernClarkKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:34 PM   #48
kalelvis
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModernClarkKent View Post
Made about 32 K yesterday, only movie apart from Pain and Gain that went down from Monday ... I'm just very curious to know if it's no longer showing in any other foreign markets - as it hasn't been updated at all overseas for really 2-3 weeks now.
It is weird about the lack of foreign updates because several individual countries have been updated to last Sunday, but the foreign total hasn't budged in weeks. I think it is safe to assume that another 500 thousand. For instance, Australia shows a jump of 899 thousand between the weekend ending 8/4 and the weekend ending 8/11. Since the overall Foreign has not gone up since 8/4 we are pretty safe to assume that the 359.5 million total is at least 899 thousand short....

I think it is safe to say that the foreign is over 360 mil now and after this weekend in Japan we will likely see a more complete update of all the foreign markets. Box office Mojo is king of weird with the foreign numbers.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:20 PM   #49
ModernClarkKent
Side-Kick

BOM and boxoffice.com, which tends to get figures first both reflect that same 359,500,000 figure. tsk tsk

Old 08-28-2013, 04:38 PM   #50
ModernClarkKent
Side-Kick

In just looking at what they call the weekend total from aug 9-11, 16-18, and 23-25, MOS made about 300000 from all countries combined. I'm surprised at how ASM did twice MOS in Brazil 15 million more. South Korea is where ASM really shined as well more than 2.5 times or 22 million more; Russia was 10 million more; Mexico, India, Italy all double there; MOS did do better in other markets - Australia, UK, China, so it's interesting to see (worse run on sentence, I know). ASM did nearly 40 million in Japan - where it came out BEFORE US release, so I suspect 20 million max in JAPAN, for a grand total of around 675 tops, which is admirable.

Last edited by ModernClarkKent; 08-28-2013 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Said US instead of Japan